• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD |OT| - Bears Go To Battle In HD

surly

Banned
JWong said:
Hmm, is there a way of grinding?

Or are there no random encounters for leveling? Just wondering since I got ambushed once but can't seem to get another ambush.
Level 2 has a good place to grind. There's an area where you can move in a square shape (you'll know what I mean when you see it) and you get a random encounter ever 4-5 moves. I used it to do a few extra fights after finishing the level to get the "Unstoppable Army" achievement.

This is one of the best games I've ever played. I've put 15 hours into it in 2 days, which is something I rarely do these days.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GhostRidah said:
This needs to be on steam

Yeah I'd buy it day 1 when it comes. Just tried the 360 demo, and it's awesome as expected. All of my online friends though are on Steam where I'd actually get use out of the MP so I'm holding out for that.

NewBrof

surly said:
The loading screen lasts around 8 seconds on average when you go into a battle or it's loading a new area. Dunno if that's better or worse than the PS3 version.

on my slim PS3 I counted something like 8 seconds before battle, too.

I suggested a solution to fix the problem with the loading: If the game would show the battle stats screen, while loading, you could read it (which you do anyway), and the wating time would not be as annoying.

right now, the battle stats are shown just before the loading kicks in, so I have to use time reading the stats and then waiting for the battle.

FoxSpirit

I timed it for you guys. 40GB Bulky PS3.
Loading a savegame: (from the point where you are on the campaign-subscreen already): ~40 seconds
New area (regular large outdoor): ~30 seconds
New area (small indoor): ~20 seconds
New battle: ~20-30 seconds

Those are pretty precise, give or take a second or two.

Seriously, this is loading 2D 720p sprites and backdrops from the HDD. I can hardly fathom

The game itself is utterly fantastic but the technicalities stick out very sorely. Cromulent, help :-(

Kafel

Banned
Whoah.

The loading times on my 360 are nowhere close to these ("old" 360 here). And in fact I'm not too bothered by them.

Finaika

FoxSpirit said:
I timed it for you guys. 40GB Bulky PS3.
Loading a savegame: (from the point where you are on the campaign-subscreen already): ~40 seconds
New area (regular large outdoor): ~30 seconds
New area (small indoor): ~20 seconds
New battle: ~20-30 seconds

Those are pretty precise, give or take a second or two.

Seriously, this is loading 2D 720p sprites and backdrops from the HDD. I can hardly fathom

The game itself is utterly fantastic but the technicalities stick out very sorely. Cromulent, help :-(
Hmmm I'm playing on a fat 60GB PS3, and while the load times are noticable, it is nowhere that long.

Tailzo

The game is awesome. My wife played the game almost all day yesterday. :) We co-operated trying to solve some puzzles, but otherwise it's been campaign so far :)

Miletius

Replaying this game has been a blast. I bought it when it came out on the DS, hooked me during my vacation, and now it's reeling me back in for a second time.

Only complaint is that there's no easy way to reset puzzle battles. You should be able to press a button and go back to the start of the puzzle.

FoxSpirit said:
Maybe the HDD in the 40GB models is really slow?
we compared it here, the original 40gb is the slowest for sure (though our times were much less than yours too).

Bottom line, loading in general sucks and we're sorry there's a lot of it in Clash for PS3.

Tailzo said:
The game is awesome. My wife played the game almost all day yesterday. :) We co-operated trying to solve some puzzles, but otherwise it's been campaign so far :)
Love hearing this. Seems like it's a game that people can get significant-others' into easily, and that makes me happy... though mine still wont play :(

FoxSpirit

Cromulent_Word said:
we compared it here, the original 40gb is the slowest for sure (though our times were much less than yours too).

Bottom line, loading in general sucks and we're sorry there's a lot of it in Clash for PS3.

So no chance for improving that down the road?? :-(

How about a Steam release, that ought to work flawlessly. Otherwide I'd have to consider replacing the HDD for something modern and speedy and I'm slightly afraid of the problems :-\

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Cromulent_Word said:
Best thing that could have happened: Clash was released along side Dungeon Hunter. The loading times in that game are horrendous in comparison to the point that the ones in Clash are unnoticeable.

I love this game's art style, it actually made me want to replay a bit of Critter Crunch (a game that I consider to be eye-sex).

Gaspode_T

I haven't noticed loading at all but I'm playing on 360, even so come on some of the multiplayer battles will last like 20 minutes, the game itself it's not like you are walking around all the time you are playing a battle then walking every 15 minutes or so too.

I had my first multiplayer win, and it was against a guy ranked as L5. I was glad he didn't rage quit because I beat him pretty badly.

Someone at my work mentioned that multiplayer wins seem to depend a lot upon whether you get champion units ("luck of the draw") but I kind of disagree, I think I owned the other guy's treant tree as he was trying to get it set up. That wasted his time and kind of opened him up for more damage because such a big hole was left on the board.

Anyway, this game is truly awesome...I love the art, fave character is the Griffin elite unit girl that holds a staff, the way her hair waves is animated so well...bow down to your artists!

I'm going to have to take a look at Sworcery too although I had sworn it off because of hype overload on my twitter feed ;)

bubnbob

Banned
The loading is extremely apparent on 360... coming from DS version it is so jarring, really takes you out of it.

I really do love this game though. Would have appreciated a mixup on Puzzle Battles, but at least it makes it easier to look up the solutions :x

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
FoxSpirit said:
So no chance for improving that down the road?? :-(

How about a Steam release, that ought to work flawlessly. Otherwide I'd have to consider replacing the HDD for something modern and speedy and I'm slightly afraid of the problems :-\
I have a brand new WD 500 GB HDD in my PS3 and the loadings are still a big problem. I'd save the money and trouble.

bob page

Loving the game so far and it really reminds me of Puzzle Quest for some reason. Strange to think that two of my favorite games of 2011 so far (this and S&S) have Capy involvement. My gf really enjoys watching, too, and wants to start her own file soon.

But yeah, the loading sucks. It's worse than New Vegas on my 40gb.

sleepykyo

Gaspode_T said:
I haven't noticed loading at all but I'm playing on 360, even so come on some of the multiplayer battles will last like 20 minutes, the game itself it's not like you are walking around all the time you are playing a battle then walking every 15 minutes or so too.

I had my first multiplayer win, and it was against a guy ranked as L5. I was glad he didn't rage quit because I beat him pretty badly.

Someone at my work mentioned that multiplayer wins seem to depend a lot upon whether you get champion units ("luck of the draw") but I kind of disagree, I think I owned the other guy's treant tree as he was trying to get it set up. That wasted his time and kind of opened him up for more damage because such a big hole was left on the board.

Anyway, this game is truly awesome...I love the art, fave character is the Griffin elite unit girl that holds a staff, the way her hair waves is animated so well...bow down to your artists!

I'm going to have to take a look at Sworcery too although I had sworn it off because of hype overload on my twitter feed ;)

While skill obviously matters, there are still tiers and first mover advantage is still extremely huge. Godric's special is just so good, either it saves you from up 50 damage or it does just wrecks the opponent's everything. Then Anwen has 50pts of targetable damage then can be used against anything and Haven is the only faction that has the 1 turn unit (elves). At the other end you have stuff like Jezebet's special which is only useful assuming the opponent has walls or Nadia's which is pretty unreliable.

As for the ranks, you kind of get a lot experience either ways and a lot experimentation is still going on. Using only champions as special class (pretty good especially with Marko's Death March), only elites, only one base class type.

Cromulent_Word said:

Did you test it on the 360 using a memory stick instead of the HDD? I find the loading not too terrible but, for example, in the Elf campaign, at the beginning, going from the cave with the grave robber bounty to the main forest map took a significant bit of time and crossed out of the "don't really notice" zone into "I'm sick of this map screen" territory, and if cramming the game onto a memory stick improves things I'll do that.

see5harp

This game is straight up beast. I'm well over 12 hours (doing every challenge and side quest) and I just got to the 3rd Chapter. 1 v 1 multiplayer is extremely fun. I find 2 v 2 to require a bit too much coordination and the games seem long enough to encourage people to leave early. The only real issue I've had is with the puzzle challenges not having a quick reset. When initiating a battle to see stats it is also a little strange to have to reload the art when you back out.

Just want to say this game is amazingly good. A couple of things of notice though:

One you could have had a bit more flavour to the cast, its too vanilla and second, I dont know why but whatever rolling system you have going for the reinforcements hates me during multiplayer and gives my opponent 3 giant units while I get none.

Kafel

Banned
CromUnlimited is Capy ?

Just got in top 15. Unfortunately I won't be able to play the rest of the week unless my bro bought the game as well (I doubt it).

Kafel

Banned
Well I guessed it was someone from Capy. : P

Do you take a look at leaderboards sometimes ? Yesterday I saw something strange, the #1 guy had 50 wins, 0 losses ... with a streak of 42.

surly

Banned
Gaspode_T said:

Someone at my work mentioned that multiplayer wins seem to depend a lot upon whether you get champion units ("luck of the draw") but I kind of disagree, I think I owned the other guy's treant tree as he was trying to get it set up.
I had my first try at multiplayer earlier. I was drawn against a level 6 guy and I beat him without losing any hit points. The position of the units at the beginning of the game makes a HUGE difference IMO.

When the game started I looked at his half of the screen and could see very few opportunities, but on my side of the screen it was a totally different story. After one round I had an almost complete row of maxed out walls, 4 linked attacks, and a knight just 1 move away from being ready to go. It was completely one-sided and every time I called in reinforcements they seemed to land just where I wanted them, where they'd land in awkward positions for him. If the roles were reversed, but it was still my first ever game, I don't think I'd have ever played it online again, lol. Perhaps I was just extremely lucky and he was extremely unlucky though. It certainly wasn't skill that led to my win, that's for sure.

bubnbob

Banned
I'm so glad you get XP when you lose, otherwise I would drop it in a heartbeat. At least I can strive towards Level 10 achievement while trying pathetically to win a single match...

Ikkarus

Just played the trial version. It's safe to say I will be buying this the next time I boot up my PS3.

As soon as I got access to the forest bears it was a sale!

Great work Capy, this is the first game for me this year which has actually entertained me a lot and got me thinking at the same time too, so kudos to you all.

sleepykyo

Hopefully for future games, they add vanilla on/off for quick search. Items off

I'm still undecided about whether first mover is an automatic victory (given similar skills, starting formations, and builds). First mover plus ring of celerity (one of few times infernal characters are great) however, is insane.

Also still wondering about whether it is worth using elites (in addition to champions), instead of just champions.

noonche

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but holy crap at these load times. During any non-combat parts of the game I spend far more time staring at load screens then reading story, buying items or turning in bounties. It's bad enough that I don't want to go look for secrets and side-quests because I'll have to wait for them to load. :(

bubnbob

Banned
lol, everyone's like "have you played single player yet? you can get this sweet artefact that can help us win easier"

No, bro. I don't care. I'm glad you already aced the game though. Artefacts dont mean shit when you are constantly given shit lineups.

Ricker

Wth,I thought this game saved after every victory or something,I just played 1 hour and half for nothing because after my first defeat,I did continue and it started me right in front of the battle I lost and in my other defeat,the one where you have to not hit the Elf(he moves randomly,there`s no way of knowing where he is going to go,I hope there isn`t too many situations like this because it sucks) so I just hit quit after that,thinking I would be right in front of that battle but no I restart about 6 battles away... :(

Oh and I got Druids but they don`t explain how to launch their skill...is it like the deers or what?

Apoc29

Ricker said:
Oh and I got Druids but they don`t explain how to launch their skill...is it like the deers or what?
It's exactly like the deers...and every other Elite unit in the game. Just line up 2 of the same colored core units behind it.

KuroNeeko

Apoc29 said:
It's exactly like the deers...and every other Elite unit in the game. Just line up 2 of the same colored core units behind it.

Their entanglement skill only works on units that it actually hits. I fused two Druids last night to reset my opponents Angel counter from 2 to 6 last night. :D

I don't know about you guys but Druids rarely leave my team. Unicorn is usually my second choice, but the Super Saiyan Deer are pretty cool too. Just seems like Treants / Dragons take too long / require too many units to get out.

You guys have better results?

Crom>

My wife, usually an avid game watcher, likes doing the puzzle.
and now she won't let me play them :(

We're both very pleased with the game and the last game we both really liked was Plants vs. Zombies.

sleepykyo

KuroNeeko said:
Their entanglement skill only works on units that it actually hits. I fused two Druids last night to reset my opponents Angel counter from 2 to 6 last night. :D

I don't know about you guys but Druids rarely leave my team. Unicorn is usually my second choice, but the Super Saiyan Deer are pretty cool too. Just seems like Treants / Dragons take too long / require too many units to get out.

You guys have better results?

Online in my experience is pretty much the exact opposite. The number of teams that run champions only are far more common than elite troop only decks. By and large, the elite only decks tend to run out of steam before long and last second walls are meaningless when that inevitable 6 turn 150+ damage linked attack comes.

It is fairly common to be able get a champion out on the second turn or even the first turn. Oh and having just gone to a rather long sets against 12th where I was the challenger and another against the 6th and I was host, I'm going to say first mover advantage in this game is overpowered.

Margalis

Banned
Am I the only person that sees hippos having sex whenever they glance at the Capy logo?

Anyway the DS version was great, I assume XBLA version is also great.

Machine

I'm replaying this on 360 after beating the DS version to death. I got to the final campaign last night and forgot just how annoying the initial set of battles was. I had to retry a couple of them until I got decent starting layouts. Still loving it though!

FoxSpirit

Got the DS version, great, now I can't play my PS3 version anymore. :-(

Please, my loading times are klling me. Walking from one battle to another one two screens away requires a total of almost 2 minutes of loading :-(
I wonder what my problem is, I've tried everything. A defrag for the PS3 would probably help.

Also slightly angry because the loading was definitely cropping up during porting I'm sure.

Margalis said:
Am I the only person that sees hippos having sex whenever they glance at the Capy logo?

Anyway the DS version was great, I assume XBLA version is also great.
those are capybaras having sex, not hippos... errrr... waittttt

Loved the DS version and the PS3 HD release is extremely fun and the updates are awesome. It's unfortunate that the load times break up the game a bit.

FoxSpirit said:
You guys do know Caplin Rous, right? :-D
everytime theres something new from Caplin we get thousands of emails linking it :)

see5harp said:
Man almost 20 hours in and on the 4th chapter. This game is lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng.
have you done all the side quests & bounties & battle puzzlers? wink wink

Cromulent_Word said:
have you done all the side quests & bounties & battle puzzlers? wink wink

I really like the bounties and the battle puzzles. They give the game that extra bit that really makes it great.

schragnasher

Neo Member
Let me know when M&M comes out and looks more like this....
j89er.jpg

Then ill be interested.

Top Bottom