• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD |OT| - Bears Go To Battle In HD

JWong said:
Hmm, is there a way of grinding?

Or are there no random encounters for leveling? Just wondering since I got ambushed once but can't seem to get another ambush.
I got two ambushes in the western cave in the first level. Maybe only certain areas have them? I've also been doing all bounties and sidequests I could find.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So here's a question..I guess trophy related..I beat the elven campaign and was expecting to be able to go back to it since I know I didn't finish all the bounties but it took me right to the Human campaign and I couldn't go back. Does the game eventually open up so I can go back to any campaign to finish the content? Or..no? Cause if it's no..yeah....argh..........

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Answered my own question..apparently have to go back to main menu and reload the save to choose campaigns. Shrug, whatever.

I played 2v2 for the first time last night. Not sure if I'm liking that version. 1v1 is great, but 2v2 may take some getting used to. Granted, I way playing with the gp and no mic.

depward

Ever since Critter Crunch, Capy's been on my radar. So when this was released a couple of days ago, I checked the out the PSN demo and found it to be solid, really gorgeous and fun to play.

However - I just felt like this was a game I would play more on a handheld than a HD console.

So, imagine my surprise when I saw that it WAS released on the DS previously!

In any case, I feel kind of bad now saying that I ordered a DS version of the game. May wait a bit to pick it up on PSN / XBL later - sorry Capy :(

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
And it just deservedly scooped game of the week on Eurogamer as well.

Despite the fact that there's not enough of you at Capy to do it (and I'd rather see Heartbeat and whatever you're doing for NGP), the highest compliment I can pay Clash is that I wish you were doing a mainline M&M game. The series hasn't seen painterly colours like this since Darkside of Xeen, and it was poorer for it.

garath

Played Clash for the first time over lunch today. Unfortunately I jumped in it with a friend and we played local 2vAI. I only knew a little bit of the mechanics from the quick look. We got heartily rocked. lol. Guess we're going to have to go through the single player just to figure out how to play.

It would be nice if there was some stand alone tutorials. But that's a small issue. It's great fun anyways :)

Out of the surprisingly broad sub-genre of puzzle/RPGs, this is by far the best. My girlfriend and I loved it on DS, and we'll be buying it again soon on the PS3 based on the demo. I would love to see this series continue on the newer handhelds.

Finaika

Awesome game, I feel nostalgic because I was hooked on Heroes Might & Magic III years ago.

1 question though. What does a higher number of elite/champion units actually do? More units on the battlefield? Because I doubt the field can fit 5 emerald dragons at once.

epmode

Finaika said:
1 question though. What does a higher number of elite/champion units actually do? More units on the battlefield? Because I doubt the field can fit 5 emerald dragons at once.
If the battle goes on for a very long time, it's possible to run out of reserve units. The more you have in stock, the longer it'll take to run out.

Finaika

epmode said:
If the battle goes on for a very long time, it'll possible to run out of reserve units. The more you have in stock, the longer it'll take to run out.
Ah I see. Thanks.

golem

If this was on iPad or Steam I would have already bought it.. havent touched my consoles in a while, dont feel like hooking them up at the moment

sleepykyo

Finaika said:
Awesome game, I feel nostalgic because I was hooked on Heroes Might & Magic III years ago.

I´ve been wondering about that as well. Does each one effect the probability of it showing up or is it all or nothing ? Also does the first player get one move less on his first turn to address the first move advantage?

Wowbagger

First, I gotta say, this is one lovely looking game, and I'm having a blast playing it.

I've been wondering when it makes sense to retreat from battle. Why not just let yourself be defeated and avoid the resource penalty?

Nakiro

Will probably pick it up soon, before the Plus promotion runs out. It's interesting, but it seems like the first person to pull off the large champion units wins.

Gileadxv

Banned
I'll admit, I had absolutely no interest in this game and wasn't so much as a blip on my gaming radar. After hearing some positive blurbs, I decided to take the plunge on the demo and was immediately hooked. I was also pleasantly surprised at the length of the demo. Needless to say, the game became an immediate purchase!

Kafel

Banned
I'm having a blast in online multiplayer.

I'm doing almost exclusively 2vs2, the strategies there are crazy.

I'm around the 40th rank and my faithful coop partner is approaching the top 10. We're killers.

Gileadxv

Banned
The puzzles are pretty challenging! Right now I'm stuck on Nelir's first puzzle. I have to admit though, the overall difficulty progression for the game has felt very good. I'm not able to just mindlessly steam roll through an enemy (especially on the bounties), and if I'm careless I can take heavy casualties. So far it seems to strike a really nice balance.

boingball

Played yesterday a couple of hours, addicting game. So far the best PSN game this year. Wish the load times were a little bit better though:)

Not a game for Trophy Collectors though, so far I have only one in almost eight hours of play. Even worse than Yakuza 4...

boingball said:
Played yesterday a couple of hours, addicting game. So far the best PSN game this year. Wish the load times were a little bit better though:)

Not a game for Trophy Collectors though, so far I have only one in almost eight hours of play. Even worse than Yakuza 4...
The linking and fusion trophies aren't actually that tough. you can do them in quick battle, mp or the campaign.

Nakiro

Trophies aren't too hard, they are time consuming, there's nothing wrong with that. I like 'em.
I am liking the puzzles though, what about Create, Share and Play as far as those go next time around?

I'm an expert

Finished up the multiplayer trophies.. even though I plan to play that way more than the campaign, at least now I can go back to the campaign a bit. The linking trophy confuses me a bit. It says 5+. I def have had 5 links on the board at the same time, but no trophy. Does that mean 6 is the minimum? Do they have to be made the same turn or have the same amount of turns remaining?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I love this game. The only thing wrong with it, in my view, is the loading screens problem.

Other than that, awesome. I didn't even have a problem with the Deer colors, surprisingly.

worldrevolution said:
Finished up the multiplayer trophies.. even though I plan to play that way more than the campaign, at least now I can go back to the campaign a bit. The linking trophy confuses me a bit. It says 5+. I def have had 5 links on the board at the same time, but no trophy. Does that mean 6 is the minimum? Do they have to be made the same turn or have the same amount of turns remaining?
They have to be all linked - not different sets of links. Meaning, 5 or more of the same color launching on the same turn.

I'm an expert

Cromulent_Word said:
They have to be all linked - not different sets of links. Meaning, 5 or more of the same color launching on the same turn.

Oh. Hm. That actually doesn't sound that easy. Or basically not that possible in the flow of a normal game without a little luck. Def something where I'll have to set up a game versus the computer and do nothing but try and set that trophy up. The 3 fusing one is way more likely to happen whenever just playing.

this game is really fun. but just like critter crunch, I really wish it's a portable game. but at least unlike Criter Crunch, the story is engaging enough for me (as generic as it may be) to make me sit down and play puzzle game after day's work.

it's always my problem with psn games. I need engaging story to make me continue playing. another reason why I haven't beat many psn games like Critter Crunch, Pixel Junk Shooter 2, and many other psn games that focus on puzzle and little else.

I love the artstyle. remind me of animated tv series like Teen Titans or Avatar.

Cromulent_Word said:

Yeah - this trophy is by far the hardest one in the list. 5+ chains means you have to use some of the larger units and probably at least 3 core units. All of the same colour means that almost the entiire grid will have to be one colour. I am going to beat the game before I dedicate myself to that trophy. Otherwise - exceptional game. Release it on Steam so I can gift it to some people.

I'm an expert

the_prime_mover said:
Yeah - this trophy is by far the hardest one in the list. 5+ chains means you have to use some of the larger units and probably at least 3 core units. All of the same colour means that almost the entiire grid will have to be one colour. I am going to beat the game before I dedicate myself to that trophy. Otherwise - exceptional game. Release it on Steam so I can gift it to some people.

I actually just almost got it in a random battle.. was one move away.. yeah.. it's not tough but super luck dependent on how the units begin and how the reinforcements come too. Argh, luck trophies suck.

Apenheul

Callibretto said:
this game is really fun. but just like critter crunch, I really wish it's a portable game.

I felt the same, but two days ago I found the DS version for 10 euros so now I'm playing that version :)

FoxSpirit

Really nice game playing the demo right now, will probably get.

But there is one real biter: load times. Every little scene takes sooo long to load on my PS3.
It's literally the worst I've encountered this far.

Is this a problem of the demo or will this hang around when I get the full version unlocked?

Oh, and btw, 720p? Didn't expect that after Critter Crunch :-(

FoxSpirit

Okay, bought after the demo kicked me out. Great game.

But good god Capy, you should try and improve those PS3 load times a bit. If I walk into a fight and choose flee on the stat screen (first cave creature in front of chest), it has to reload the whole scene? With those load times?

argl... *dies quietly*

surly

Banned
I absolutely suck at the puzzles in this game.

How do you do the first one against the barman, Rolly, in the second area of the game? I've tried it loads of times and I just can't do it!

Kafel

Banned
surly said:

How do you do the first one against the barman, Rolly, in the second area of the game? I've tried it loads of times and I just can't do it!

the one with the angel not on the left?

focus on the two big units on the right first, charge them when you destroy units with the good ones ready behind

I'm an expert

surly said:

That one is the first slightly tricky one but if you do the knight's puzzles outside and north of the bar you'll kind of understand how to do Rolly's. Basically you want a double combo to get an extra move so you can move that angel one spot over. As said above, focus on using the smaller units to set up combos (hint: theres a wall involved) for the bigger units.

I totally get Crom's justification about the loading times, but as a consumer, I would NOT have minded getting less animations to increase load time. I'm sure as a developer they didn't want to sacrifice all the great work they did..but..this game could be stick figures and it'd still be just as fun. Are the loads as annoying on 360 too?

Anyway, 13 hours in and still not done with Godric's campaign!

epmode

FoxSpirit said:
Okay, bought after the demo kicked me out. Great game.

But good god Capy, you should try and improve those PS3 load times a bit. If I walk into a fight and choose flee on the stat screen (first cave creature in front of chest), it has to reload the whole scene? With those load times?

argl... *dies quietly*
Load times are supposedly worse on PS3. 1st gen units in particular.

So yeah, it's really bad for me too.

surly

Banned
worldrevolution said:
Are the loads as annoying on 360 too?
The loading screen lasts around 8 seconds on average when you go into a battle or it's loading a new area. Dunno if that's better or worse than the PS3 version.

Thanks for the help with the puzzle. :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
worldrevolution said:
I totally get Crom's justification about the loading times, but as a consumer, I would NOT have minded getting less animations to increase load time. I'm sure as a developer they didn't want to sacrifice all the great work they did..but..this game could be stick figures and it'd still be just as fun. Are the loads as annoying on 360 too?

As someone starkly on the other side of consumers, I have to say, thanks for marrying "animation" and "HD" together, Capy! Animation quality is much more significant to me, than resolution, and it's nice to see both meet without much compromise.

"Here's great animation.. but it's at 480p!" "Here's HD720... but it's poorly animated!" "Here's nice 2D sprites.. but the Backgrounds are 3D!" "Here's lush 2D art... but it's on a handheld with a tiny screen!"

Thanks for making an HD 2D console game that doesn't have any of those usual compromises!

And I'll second the "something like 8 seconds" thing for 360 loading. It's nowhere near as bad as say, Vandal Hearts, which took anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes to load on certain older 360's.

I picked up the DS version when it came out last year after all the great pre release hype it was getting. Loved every minute of it and was easily my fav DS game of last year. I was excited to hear it was coming to XBLA but I wasn't really planning on double dipping on it. For the hell of it on the weekend decided to download the demo and see how it came out and then 4 hours later was hooked all over again.

Great work Cappy, absolutely amazing game.

Top Bottom