• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD |OT| - Bears Go To Battle In HD

NewBrof

Sorry about the frequent loads. There's tons and tons of huge animations, and we can't make the PS3 load any faster :(

it would be great if the loading screen showed the enemy/stats screen instead of the less important map screen. Because the stats screen is right before the loading screen, I use 3-4 seconds to watch that screen, and then 5-6 seconds for the loading screen. Loading could be used to show important information...

anyway, great job!

Official XBOX Magazine UK also gave it a 9!

And stupid question and I know it's not a big deal, but does the PS3 version have a slightly higher resolution or are both versions virtually the same?

demon arm

I wasn't really convinced by the screenshots, the art or the initial impressions. To be honest, I felt it looked quite generic. But, I decided to give the demo a chance after reading this thread last night.

Shortly after completing the prologue, I bought it.

This is a lovely little gem! I love the battle system, I love the world map, and I even love the art - it seems so much better in-game than it appeared to me in the screenshots.

I share the criticism about load times and the deer, but neither issue is a major drawback to me. What I would really like is *cough* more trophies in amount and diversity. I'm sure there are lots of interesting goals that could be set up via the battle system.

Apart from that, this is an elegant, wonderful game which is a joy to play. Good work, guys.

Fugu said:
It has absolutely nothing in common with the Might and Magic series.
I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by how much it feels like a M&M game.

soultron

Banned
Been playing it for a few hours, and now I know why Ryan O' Donnell loved the original DS version. It's addicting. It's like Puzzle Quest but with a completely different focus on offense/desfense gameplay.

Loving it so far.

I like what I played. Nice meaty demo but my god the load times. So long and frequent. I'm not sure I want to buy the game because of the loading I'm afraid.

Larsen B

Will there be an OST release for this, Cromulent?

I went to play the game this morning on my PS3 but, instead, left my cursor on the XMB icon for 10 minutes whilst that music looped round and round.

diss

Banned
Great game. Liked it on DS, like the HD version. Game looks very nice.

Have there been tweaks? I think I remember on the DS you couldn't back out of a fight after seeing your opponent's levels. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

The load times are a bit annoying but not a dealbreaker. They're not long load times, they're just frequent. It's like if A Link to the Past took you to a 1 second loading screen everytime you moved offscreen.

I DO however wish the countdown numbers on formations were larger. I'm on a HDTV and I still have to squint to see these clearly.

Anyway brilliant game. I hope everybody buys it, and I hope you port it to every system, and I hope you make a shit ton of money.

PS. Critter Crunch XBLA, make it happen :D

demon arm

diss said:
I'm on a HDTV and I still have to squint to see these clearly.
I'm still on SD, and I have to squint a little to see those, too. Same with the text in the cutscenes. But I guess that's what you get when you play a game with "HD" in the title in SD! =) It's all still legible without being much of a problem, though.

obonicus

Cromulent_Word said:
Sorry about the frequent loads. There's tons and tons of huge animations, and we can't make the PS3 load any faster :(

The game's great, and I realize some stuff can't be overcome, but I find it somewhat annoying that when you lose a battle it takes you to a load screen before you can choose to 'continue', and if you want to try that battle again, you face another load screen. I'd have loved the option to simply replay a battle when that option is available (i.e. not ambushes).

flowsnake said:
So did unicorns get nerfed? I remember them being crazily overpowered in the original game.

Working as intended. Dude we are talking about UNICORNS!

Anway.. got the game yesterday on XBLA... loving it so far.

Hyphen

Larsen B said:
Will there be an OST release for this, Cromulent?

I went to play the game this morning on my PS3 but, instead, left my cursor on the XMB icon for 10 minutes whilst that music looped round and round.

I downloaded the demo to this last night. Didn't play it (it was for my nephew mainly, this isn't really the genre I go for), but I've been watching my nephew go through it, and I too am loving the soudntrack. Would love for any update as to whether the music will be made available in the future.

As for the game itself, from what I've seen my nephew do, I will definitely be getting this! I have to admit, there's more going for it than I initially thought. This is one demo that definitely sold the full game to me. My nephew will be happy...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
obonicus said:
The game's great, and I realize some stuff can't be overcome, but I find it somewhat annoying that when you lose a battle it takes you to a load screen before you can choose to 'continue', and if you want to try that battle again, you face another load screen. I'd have loved the option to simply replay a battle when that option is available (i.e. not ambushes).

So many devs are clueless about how important load times are. Your example is just an example of that. It's enough to put me off of some games completely.

Anyway, is this game any different than the DS one?

Akkad

Banned
Yeah, I was looking forward to this but the load times are a deal breaker to me (especially in a puzzle game), so no buy for now.

I didn't have a much time to play last night but I got through a few battles in the first campaign. I have to say I'm blown away! I fell in love with this game on the DS and it's just amazing in HD. The animations are beautiful! Many kudos for team Capy!

My only complaint is that opting to skip the tutorial pop-ups just bring you to the next pop-up. No biggie at all, but after having finished the game on the DS recently I really didn't need a primer on the gameplay.

I played two matches online and I think I'm going to have a new addiction. I won both times, the first game being very close. The second game I lucked out and got a Death Knight charging on my first turn.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this version (loading times aren't that bad, imho).

Still need to grab Critter Crunch. Is that coming to XBLA anytime soon? That's my platform of choice...

flowsnake said:
So did unicorns get nerfed? I remember them being crazily overpowered in the original game.
unicorns got the severe nerf stick. they still rule, but they are not overpowered.

commish said:
So many devs are clueless about how important load times are. Your example is just an example of that. It's enough to put me off of some games completely.
Few things. First, we literally maxed out the RAM on the consoles. We had to CUT a lot of art to get the game to run... there's an insane amount of art in texture form in this game. It seems simple, cause it's 2D, but there's more art in this game than anyone would imagine. We aren't clueless... we just have a massive hill to climb doing 2DHD. We had to choose between higher visual quality w/ some more loading, or less art with less loading. Less art isn't an option. I have no problem admiting there are loads in the game (not as bad as people make it seem, IMO), but i do have a problem being called clueless :)

Thanks for all the <3 and support GAF folk. It's amazing to me how much this community has meant to Capy - you guys (even the ones shitting) are wickedly important to us.

Dogfacedgod said:
...need to grab Critter Crunch (again). Is that coming to PSP anytime soon? That's my platform of choice...

Edited that for you.

Clash of Heroes is great fun so far. I was really enjoying the battles but then I encountered the puzzle matches and my enjoyment turned to love. Thank you, Capy.

flowsnake

Ugh, I forgot how annoying the battles where you have to hit/avoid hitting a moving target are. Killed the elf leader guy so many times because I set up a formation with a long charge time and misjudged where he'd move to.

Gowans

I can't the ranger battle puzzle in the tree, I'm always one move off, GRR!!.

tips? I move the blue bear over to the left column then drop the green pixie to make a chain and give me a move but them I can't get both orange guys over to the orange druid due to the forth and last remaining stupid green pixie.

Also mistaking green/blue deers are driving my bananas :(

Edit: Typical just solved it
I forgot about removing the wall parts.

NewBrof

well, you always could make the load screens show interesting stuff, like the stats screen of the battle. That does not compromise the loading.

Also as the other guy said, instant replay should have been a consideration...
don't know if there are technical limitations for a reset...

jtrov

Damnit, I really want to get this game, but I got so much money wrapped up on Mortal Kombat and Portal 2. However, after playing the demo and then watching the GB QL, I'm finding it really hard to hold off on getting this. I got a feeling I'll be buying this today when I get home.

Also, since GB is trying to do less FPS's for TNT, it'd be cool if they chose this game for one of the weeks. It seemed they really enjoyed it on the QL.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Cromulent_Word said:
Haha thanks.

PS [awkward] You're one of my SSFIV idols, so that 'thanks' was extra-meant :) [/awkward]
lol cool to know :). You're welcome and thanks back for a kickass game [fist bump].

see5harp

The load times are longer than the typical puzzle game but they aren't even close to being an issue. FANTASTIC demo Capy. Played through demos on both PSN and XBLA and didn't really notice any differences in performance. It did seem like the sound was maybe louder (or better I don't know) on PS3 which may have been due to the way the system outputs audio to my receiver.

soultron

Banned
The art and animations are fucking gorgeous so I happily give a pass on the load times.

Played the saw and hostage puzzle battles last night. Nice to see that you guys throw some nice tricks/objectives into the campaign this way!

Ricker

Bought for the PS3 and I might grab the theme on the 360...I never buy themes but I might for this...does anything go to Capy at all from themes?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll chime in from playing the demo and say the load times are annoying but no where near pulling the game down. Do I wish they were eliminated? Yeah, esp. coming from Critter Crunch's first long load and then fast rounds. But it isn't a dealbreaker.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am a big puzzle quest fan. Will pick this up for ps3 but I would love an ipad version. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Has there been any word if an iPad version is on its way?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
bubnbob said:
I dunno why people are asking for X version.

You know the answer will be "not at this time / no comment"
I thought maybe i missed the news or something. Personally I just found out about this game recently.

I remember hearing about the DS version but I rarely use my DS since I got my iPad 1 around release date.

DustinC

obonicus said:

This is really my only big complaint when it comes to the loading. Especially since when you do the puzzle battles and fail, you can immediately retry. It would be nice to do the same thing for the regular battles.

Either campaign is ball-breakingly hard or you are supposed to go back to the optional battles after further main quest progression.

s:s&s ep and clash of heroes? you guys are on a roll! just bought the game after staying up way too late last night playing the demo.

JWong

Banned
Hmm, is there a way of grinding?

Or are there no random encounters for leveling? Just wondering since I got ambushed once but can't seem to get another ambush.

Top Bottom