• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

BW3 expects me to pay 10-11 dollars on a little popcorn shrimp poboy and it doesn't even come with fries? Get out of here. Close your doors for all I care

R0ckman

If you look at this complaint at its very foundation it sounds absolutely insane. Why should one be expected to go to a chained corporate restaurant? Its almost like servitude to big corporations are expected of this generation. Why is it not the corporations fault for failing to attract customers or adapt? What the hell kind of article is this? As I write this post I keep falling back on the fact that the article makes no damn sense.

Pollux

As a Millenial™, I find myself rarely going to sit-down restaurants because it's more hassle than I'm looking for to have the host find me a table, then wait for the server to get to me and relay an order to them, then have to wait for them again to get the check, etc etc. I'd just like to walk up to the counter, place an order, pay for it and then pick up the food/have it brought to my table all from the start. I also wander around my little nook of LA by myself often, and it just seems unnecessary to go to some traditional restaurant when I'm just looking to grab a bite for myself and then move on with my day.

And when there is an occasion to go to a traditional restaurant, I'm not gonna go to some giant chain restaurant with a bunch of gimmicky entree items like Olive Garden or Applebee's. I'm going to go somewhere unique and at least seemingly authentic because generally if I'm going to that type of restaurant it's a special occasion, and celebrating such an occasion at a Chili's sounds super depressing. That said, I live pretty much in the heart of a city now where you actually have to go out of your way to get to those chains anyway, as they're usually in the suburbs. Back when I lived in a small town (about 15,000 people), your options outside of chain restaurants were pretty slim, so I understand frequenting Outback or whatever if it's basically all you've got.
That hassle is why you sit at the bar. Get your beer fast food fast and check fast.

I wonder how much of the decline of BWW is attributable to Wing Stop. I always get my wings to go now, and it's cheaper.

To echo other comments, the implication that Millennials owe these businesses their loyalty and money is fucking asinine. If you want us buying your shit, make it worth our (little) money.

Its one of the fastest growing chains in the US right now and a way better value proposition than BWW so its definitely impacted their business.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That hassle is why you sit at the bar. Get your beer fast food fast and check fast.

Yep, I love sitting at the bar, getting some good food and craft beers while dicking around on my ipad or what not.

That said, I don't mind getting table at a pub either. Especially if it's mid-afternoon and not busy. I do that often if wanting to work, grade papers, game on my Switch etc. while getting out of the house/office and having a couple beers. I'm a gen X guy though.

I'm glad the world is finally wising up to the fact that the grocery store deli has food that's just as good as those crappy places. If you want to see something on PPV, fine. But why the hell would you sit down in a BWW just to hang out? If you want to eat bar food and play pool or whatever, there's always going to be better places for that, too.

And the Appleby's/Chilis/etc of the world suck too.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad the world is finally wising up to the fact that the grocery store deli has food that's just as good as those crappy places. If you want to see something on PPV, fine. But why the hell would you sit down in a BWW just to hang out? If you want to eat bar food and play pool or whatever, there's always going to be better places for that, too.

And the Appleby's/Chilis/etc of the world suck too.

To be fair, the bolded is really only true in cities and suburbs.

Get into smaller towns and some chain places are often the only sit down joints period, much less the only places to catch PPV sports etc.

SummitAve

Banned
To be fair, the bolded is really only true in cities and suburbs.

Get into smaller towns and some chain places are often the only sit down joints period, much less the only places to catch PPV sports etc.

Small towns often have the best bars, and no chains to speak of at all. I think you have suburb and small mixed up.

what's wing stop/ never seen one in NJ/NYC

There are a few in NJ and around the metro NYC area.

I have one not that far from me.

It's pretty much like BWW but a much more concise menu, they don't attempt to do that much, they stick to wings a few sides, that's it.

It's pretty much a grab and go kind of place, most locations have very limited seating.

FStubbs

If you look at this complaint at its very foundation it sounds absolutely insane. Why should one be expected to go to a chained corporate restaurant? Its almost like servitude to big corporations are expected of this generation. Why is it not the corporations fault for failing to attract customers or adapt? What the hell kind of article is this? As I write this post I keep falling back on the fact that the article makes no damn sense.

Welcome to the GOP! Don't enjoy your stay.

Two Words

We went to a Vietnamese sit down restaurant for lunch at work today. Man, the experience really felt like why millennials would stay away from it. We were asked a million questions and constantly pestered if we wanted anything all throughout the meal. We were literally the only ones eating at the restaurant and it still took forever to order, eat and go. I can't imagine wanting to eat like this regularly.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Small towns often have the best bars, and no chains to speak of at all. I think you have suburb and small mixed up.

Depends on how small and what region I guess.

Around my parents in rural WV the small town bars are all smokey shitholes with no food or terrible food and awful beer/wine selections. Most are shit associated with things like the Elks or Moose Club/lodge, or shitty small hotel bars. Fair point on not many chains (aside from fast food as that's by far the dominant restaurant option there)--only sit down chain in my parents town is a BWW that opened within the past 3 or 4 years.

Suburbs in the DC/Baltimore area where I lived from 2002-2009 and around Atlanta where I've lived since are mostly chain restaurant hell, but they still have some cool local bars/pubs with good craft beer, some good wine bars etc. Get out to small towns and its smokey, Bud Light serving hellholes.

But I'm a Gen X yuppie who's a bit of a foody and a big beer snob so my frame of reference for what good bar is may differ from the millennials who find BWW expensive I guess. *shrugs*

There are a few in NJ and around the metro NYC area.

I have one not that far from me.

It's pretty much like BWW but a much more concise menu, they don't attempt to do that much, they stick to wings a few sides, that's it.

It's pretty much a grab and go kind of place, most locations have very limited seating.

There's a quite a few here in Chicago. It's really mediocre chicken that you buy because it's conveniently open late or happens to be close to school/work.

thanks! hopefully i pass by one in NJ where i live. i'm curious to try it

iavi

Shit food and the wide availability of information that they are indeed shit food is killing these chains, not some arbitrary generational tag line.

If the food is good, everyone will come, regardless of age/generation. The lines out the door in the popular restaurants of any major metro will tell you that.

Shit food and the wide availability of information that they are indeed shit food is killing these chains, not some arbitrary generational tag line.

If the food is good, everyone will come, regardless of age. The lines out the door in the popular restaurants of any major metro will tell you that

Yup people in general are just more discerning now and have tools at their fingertips to find out information and opinions about every single restaurant in existence.

mreddie

I love how companies are using Millennials as a scapegoat of why they haven't adapted in this age where we can find better alternatives to food joints.

gfxtwin

A victory for good taste. I won't rest until Snappy Salads is a drive thru franchise and Fuzzy's Taco Shop replaces every Taco Bell.

I love how companies are using Millennials as a scapegoat of why they haven't adapted in this age where we can find better alternatives to food joints.

If Millennials don't start to get included into the economy with higher wages, by becoming a stable backbone within the middle class (Gen X soon will be in all the senior positions, but there are more of us) then there is going to be massive closures of many things.

While while the boomers love to say we think we are "entitled", we are mostly good at managing money too. And if your going to be an asshat to us, the companies that is, then your going to go by, by.

My hope is that eventually when the boomers finally finish retiring, there will be big adjustments in the pay for millennials across the country. Though going by historic stats on wages since the reagan years, I can't really get my hopes too up.

Asian Zing is just the sauce though, not the preparation method. If I like the sauce why wouldn't I just buy that and make my own chicken at home? It'd still be cheaper overall and at least I care enough about the quality of the food I eat so as not to overcook it into chicken jerky.

That's what I've done recently. Got some sauce bottles from BWW and bags of lightly-breaded chicken filets from the grocery store. Makes for excellent, (relatively) cheap eating. A lot less than you'd spend at BWW for a family, at least.

Top Bottom