• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Multiplayer thread of building with a buddy then lighting him on fire

thespot84

i just read the server logs, sounds like you had fun :-D.

I'm going to disable monsters until we figure out what to do with the server.

KidGalactus said:
Are all the servers down?

YES!

I played for a bit, but the server was having some trouble drawing the next chunk, so after disconnecting/reconnecting a couple of times to trick it into drawing further, I just gave up.

Vlad

thespot84 said:
i reset everything last night and disabled monsters, what's the problem? Works fine on my end...

It seems to be working fine now, actually. Maybe it was the monsters mucking things up?

I just logged on, and while it was a little choppy in the beginning, after a few seconds everything loaded up just fine and was responding nicely. Went to the hole and did a little digging, and everything worked as it should.

Everybody back in the pool!

EDIT: Another nice little new feature that I hadn't noticed before: The game remembers the last server address you entered now!

pirata

Moochu: REALLY sorry about that. I didn't know I could kill people in peaceful. I saved all your stuff in a chest on that mountain and disconnected while I was there. If you have builder status, just shoot me a pm telling me when to log on and I'll let you teleport to me.

thespot84

pirata said:
Moochu: REALLY sorry about that. I didn't know I could kill people in peaceful. I saved all your stuff in a chest on that mountain and disconnected while I was there. If you have builder status, just shoot me a pm telling me when to log on and I'll let you teleport to me.

And here I thought PVP wouldn't be an issue :lol

pirata said:

guten tag indeed :(

pirata

funkmastergeneral said:
guten tag indeed :(

REALLY sorry. I didn't know that would happen. I'd never seen a player character take damage before. Tell me when to log in and I'll let you teleport to that spot.

bengraven

I've been gone from GAF for almost a year and discovered Minecraft while I was away.

How is the MC GAF community? Are the servers full, are they active?

Inkwell

Banned
The main GAF server tends to be somewhat active. I think there may be more activity after the Holidays are over.

I think everyone has moved on to the Minecraft OT since it was placed in the community forum, and we generally discuss both the single and multiplayer in there. This thread was originally meant as a private area for GAF members to share server addresses, since it used to be in the online forum. This thread may still get some use later, but for now you would probably be better off sticking to the OT.

Can i get a PM with the gaf minecraft server info. thnx

BTW, how do i take those overhead screenshots in MC? id like to get one covering my entire town from a much higher point of view.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I too would love a PM with the server info. I am just really curious to see what has been created and try to help out.

thespot84

Unicorn said:
Can't find it. Bought this game a few months back, but am JUST now starting to play it. figured out how to make tools on my own so I feel like a BAMF

check back in the OT late tonight or tomorrow, there's gonna be a new address.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I haven't played MC in quite some time. What has changed since the introduction of hell?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Started to play. Anyone have a good guide to getting started? I have no tools, die at night, and so forth. I still manage to dig a hole and build a castle around it.

webrunner

shintoki said:
Started to play. Anyone have a good guide to getting started? I have no tools, die at night, and so forth. I still manage to dig a hole and build a castle around it.

Step one: get logs by punchin' trees.

Step two: press I

Step three: drag logs into crafting window (2x2)

Step four: Click on wood block next to crafting window, do this until you have a stack of wood blocks.

Step five: put four wood blocks together in crafting window, then take the resulting Workbench.

Step six: Put workbench in your quick bar.

Step seven: in world somewhere, select the workbench and click to place.

Step eight: right click on workbench

Step nine: In workbench, use some of your wood blocks in this pattern:
WOOD
WOOD

To make sticks.

Step ten: Put sticks in this pattern:
SSS
.S.
.S.

Take the Pick and put it on your bar. Later replace the top three sticks with stone to get a better pickaxe.

Step eleven: Use pick ons tone, to get Cobblestone

Step twelve: workbench with stone:
CCC
C.C
CCC

Place the resulting Furnace.

Step thirteen: Take a log and put it in top of the furnace. Take a wood plank or stick and put it in the bottom. It'll make Charcoal. You can also mine coal in the world (it'll look like stone with black bits) but this is a sure way.

Step fourteen:
COAL
STICK
Makes 4 Torches.

Step fifteen: Make an enclosed area by mining/placing cobblestone/placing wood/whatever. I usually put it into a cliff somewhere.

Step sixteen: Break your furnace and workbench, pick them up, and put them insdie your enclosed area.

Step seventeen: Place Torches around it, inside and out.

Step eighteen: Optionally do this with wood:
WW
WW
WW

To make a door. Put it in a 2x1 block space in your building to keep monsters out while letting you leave easily.

Step nineteen: Go inside your new house at night, and wait out the day.

Step twenty: Do:
STONE
STONE
STICK
To make a sword, because in the morning you still have to deal with creepers and spiders. Creepers you want to keep at max sword distance so they dont explode.

That's basically my first-night there. After that, it's a matter of exploring, experimenting, and such. Remember: Light keeps monsters from spawning near it, so an enclosed area with light is safe at night if no mobs can get in. That's the big thing to keep you from dying.

Inkwell

Banned
Can't we just get this thread closed? I mean, it was originally made to discuss servers. The Online/community section was exclusive to NeoGAF members, so we could post server addresses. This isn't the case now, and we discuss everything in the official minecraft thread anyway. Unless we actually start using it to discuss multiplayer (which I think is completely pointless), I don't see the point of this thread even existing.

pirata

I agree. Now it's pretty much just people popping in asking questions, and us replying that they should use the OT.

I do think we should have a thread about the official GAF server, though. Preferably made by someone who won't neglect updating the first post (neither of the OPs of the Minecraft threads have been updated in ages). We could use it to organize community projects, give updates as to the status of the server and server address (and possibly manage requests for the server address if our griefing problems continue), compliment each other, show off screenshots, or just generally shoot the breeze.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom