• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Multiplayer thread of building with a buddy then lighting him on fire

N-Bomb

As posted in the o/t forum:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24286335&postcount=10120

The server address is nbomb.servebeer.com.

Just a couple rules:

-No griefing
-Build with the surroundings - as in don't bulldoze a mountain to build a house. Look around in Shitville for some examples. (the Tower is a leftover from an SP map)
-The Road is most important, so if you build in the way, expect your stuff to get knocked down when the Road comes through!
-Get permission before you modify someone else's stuff or build in their area.
-Just basic common courtesy I guess.
-Don't use cheats :(
-Committee reserves the right to move structures deemed obnoxious or that don't fit in with an ares. (using a map editor, as non-destructively as possible)
-Be creative!
-I should mention that we're a pretty social group, so don't hesitate to join in the banter. The game's alot more fun when you're shooting the shit. :)

Server info:
-hey0 mod
--some item types are banned from being spawned
--Various warps set up.
--daily backups
--IRC plugin routes game msgs to #minecen on irc.enterthegame.com and vice versa
--other plugins in consideration.

Anything else, ask me or Wuzashi if we're around. New people may need to wait for an admin to give them status, I can't remember how that's set up (will be ironing it out over the weekend)

Thanks!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Build with the surroundings - as in don't bulldoze a mountain to build a house.
But that was so much fun to do on Oats server, and it worked out really nicely to when everything was built up. Turned out to also be a great area to put a road to connect the new spawn to the ocean :lol

N-Bomb

Drkirby said:
But that was so much fun to do on Oats server, and it worked out really nicely to when everything was built up. Turned out to also be a great area to put a road to connect the new spawn to the ocean :lol

Haha, I think I remember that. The reason for this rule though is to keep things kind of organic looking and preserve some of the natural beauty that minecraft can generate sometimes :)

itxaka

Defeatist
I got a server up that I'm gonna leave for 24 hours. It's on an amazon ec2 micro instance so I want to check how much it costs and how well it works so you are all invited to enter and break havoc on it for no reason :D

Send it to whoever you want, I want to see if the thing works. I'll be looking at it for the next 6/7 hours and then I won't have a look again until 12/14 hours after so you are free to do whatever you want on it :D

46.51.177.106:25565

gotee12

Just checked out your server Nbomb. Very impressive!

Are the other GAF servers (listed in the OP) down or are they invite only or something? If I try to join them, I get a "connection refused"...

thespot84

gotee12 said:
Just checked out your server Nbomb. Very impressive!

Are the other GAF servers (listed in the OP) down or are they invite only or something? If I try to join them, I get a "connection refused"...

I don't think the OP's been updated in a while. the semi-official gaf server is touchmybox.dyndns.org

Rapstah

thespot84 said:
I don't think the OP's been updated in a while. the semi-official gaf server is touchmybox.dyndns.org
Can't log on to the server since the patch since MCAdmin thinks my client is outdated.

N-Bomb said:
As posted in the o/t forum:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24286335&postcount=10120

The server address is nbomb.servebeer.com.

Just a couple rules:

-No griefing
-Build with the surroundings - as in don't bulldoze a mountain to build a house. Look around in Shitville for some examples. (the Tower is a leftover from an SP map)
-The Road is most important, so if you build in the way, expect your stuff to get knocked down when the Road comes through!
-Get permission before you modify someone else's stuff or build in their area.
-Just basic common courtesy I guess.
-Don't use cheats :(
-Committee reserves the right to move structures deemed obnoxious or that don't fit in with an ares. (using a map editor, as non-destructively as possible)
-Be creative!
-I should mention that we're a pretty social group, so don't hesitate to join in the banter. The game's alot more fun when you're shooting the shit. :)

Server info:
-hey0 mod
--some item types are banned from being spawned
--Various warps set up.
--daily backups
--IRC plugin routes game msgs to #minecen on irc.enterthegame.com and vice versa
--other plugins in consideration.

Anything else, ask me or Wuzashi if we're around. New people may need to wait for an admin to give them status, I can't remember how that's set up (will be ironing it out over the weekend)

Thanks!

Do you have spawning on your server?

N-Bomb

funkmastergeneral said:
Do you have spawning on your server?

As in mobs? No, not yet. I've looked at a couple of these pve plugins, but they don't seem that satisfactory. Any recommendations?

(._.)

Banned
I haven't tried multiplayer o this yet. Gonna try to get on the GAF server later today and start working on a building.

thespot84

N-Bomb said:
As in mobs? No, not yet. I've looked at a couple of these pve plugins, but they don't seem that satisfactory. Any recommendations?

He probably means materials, i.e. do you use the !give command...

N-Bomb said:

Spawning items I mean. That's one of my sticking points when it comes to smp servers, and it's why I don't ever find myself on touchmybox's server

N-Bomb

funkmastergeneral said:
Spawning items I mean. That's one of my sticking points when it comes to smp servers, and it's why I don't ever find myself on touchmybox's server

Ahh... only for mods and above. I'm trying to run a more 'legit' style server.

We'll give items to regs on request, on a case-to-case basis. We also have a starter kit chest that has some diamond tools and torches in it for new people, but I need to look into the /kit functionality.

N-Bomb said:
Ahh... only for mods and above. I'm trying to run a more 'legit' style server.

We'll give items to regs on request, on a case-to-case basis. We also have a starter kit chest that has some diamond tools and torches in it for new people, but I need to look into the /kit functionality.

Oh. bummer. I'm starting to think that me and GDJustin are the only people here who want a completely item spawn free server :lol

funkmastergeneral said:
Oh. bummer. I'm starting to think that me and GDJustin are the only people here who want a completely item spawn free server :lol

I'm definitely not against it, although a starter kit wouldn't be bad. Especially in a PvP type server.

thespot84

funkmastergeneral said:

I honestly don't get the hate. Until SMP is in beta, there are many issues and bugs that get in the way of how the game is 'supposed to' play, so I just don't see what is being 'preserved' by playing legit.

You're also more than welcome to join a server and not spawn items yourself. No one is forcing materials into your inventory. Are you just philosophically opposed to being in the presence of spawned items? There are people that play on neoneogafland that choose not to spawn, and we all get along just fine. I honestly think in this case idealism is getting in the way of enjoyment.

thespot84 said:
I honestly don't get the hate. Until SMP is in beta, there are many issues and bugs that get in the way of how the game is 'supposed to' play, so I just don't see what is being 'preserved' by playing legit.

You're also more than welcome to join a server and not spawn items yourself. No one is forcing materials into your inventory. Are you just philosophically opposed to being in the presence of spawned items? There are people that play on neoneogafland that choose not to spawn, and we all get along just fine. I honestly think in this case idealism is getting in the way of enjoyment.

I don't see the point in playing smp and spawning items, you might as well just be a classic server. It's annoying to see a huuuuuuge brick structure with a golden dog on it near my building, which had a few bricks on it that took me a long time to scrounge up.

When you visit someone elses building, knowing that they mined every single block inside of it adds a lot to the structure.

aasoncott

itxaka said:
I got a server up that I'm gonna leave for 24 hours. It's on an amazon ec2 micro instance so I want to check how much it costs and how well it works so you are all invited to enter and break havoc on it for no reason :D

Send it to whoever you want, I want to see if the thing works. I'll be looking at it for the next 6/7 hours and then I won't have a look again until 12/14 hours after so you are free to do whatever you want on it :D

46.51.177.106:25565

I'd love to hear how much this ends up costing. I never thought of hosting Minecraft on EC2... that'd be great for a private server without having to run it locally.

N-Bomb

funkmastergeneral said:

Well I can't say COMPLETELY spawn free, but 95-98%. In fact, the biggest things in this map were done legit.

If someone loses inventory to griefing or a server reset or something like that, I'll give stuff. Or if it's like 'I'm one short, and I can't find clay' or such.

thespot84

funkmastergeneral said:
I don't see the point in playing smp and spawning items, you might as well just be a classic server. It's annoying to see a huuuuuuge brick structure with a golden dog on it near my building, which had a few bricks on it that took me a long time to scrounge up.

When you visit someone elses building, knowing that they mined every single block inside of it adds a lot to the structure.

it's not a dog, it's a pig.

Timan

Developer
thespot84 said:
it's not a dog, it's a pig.

Hey when you get a chance, mind checking out the server? Since yesterdays update, its been a pain in the butt to build/mine anything. Blocks keep re-appearing every 2 seconds :(

N-Bomb

Timan said:
Hey when you get a chance, mind checking out the server? Since yesterdays update, its been a pain in the butt to build/mine anything. Blocks keep re-appearing every 2 seconds :(

That's not a server-specific problem, it's a minecraft problem.

thespot84

Timan said:

I've looked at it, I have plenty of unused bandwidth and cycles on the server, and nothing has changed expect the update, so i'd peg it on the update. Sorry.

kennah

Re: Spawning

I play without spawning items myself on the GAF server and have a great time. And a lot of the projects that were completed were done without spawns, I'm pretty sure the colussus is one of those right? The HOLE and water slide are both excellent reasons for visiting the server, and you can always explore and mine and such yourself it that's what you like. I usually just assume that if something isn't made of Obsidian, Diamond, Brick or Gold Blocks - it was hand mined. It helps me sleep at night.

But when you get right down to it, spawned items or not, actually BUILDING the structures is pretty impressive engineering. Some would rather be the architect, some would rather be the miner. These are what makes multiplayer Minecraft great. And it's going to get even better once we can die.

That said, if we had a NOSPAWNSEVAR server, I'd probably play on it, and weep for the loss of brick.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kennah said:
I play without spawning items myself on the GAF server and have a great time. And a lot of the projects that were completed were done without spawns, I'm pretty sure the colussus is one of those right?

It's a mix of unspawned and spawned. Spawned TNT was used to clear the land. The ring of obsidian on top of the skyboxes is spawned. The entrance uses spawned mats. The cobblestone and glass is all natural, and at least 50% of the smooth stone is natural. It might be that 100% of the smooth stone is natural, but I can't confirm for certain.

kennah said:
I usually just assume that if something isn't made of Obsidian, Diamond, Brick or Gold Blocks - it was hand mined. It helps me sleep at night.

You can usually tell pretty easily whether a project uses spawned items or not. People tend to adjust the sizes of their projects accordingly. Stuff like the power plant and the great pyramid are obviously spawned. The Colossus may be mostly hard-mined, but there was a hell of a lot of teamwork on that project.

Timan

Developer
Hey spot, is that mapping program still running at night?

I seem to lose any progress I do at around 3~am (est) when I revisit later that date.

thespot84

it's not Timan, I'm not really sure what's going on there, sorry.

I'm changing the DNS that points to neoneogafland since this thread is now public and I don't want to deal with greifers. the current address will work until Friday, but PM me between now and then for the new DNS host.

I changed my mind, I'll be switching the address as soon as I can remember the dyndns login info :D

pirata

20101119MYGODITSFULLOFFURNACES.jpg

MY GOD...

bowmandsa2.jpg

IT'S FULL OF FURNACES.

That happens on every server and every client of the game, multiplayer or singleplayer, when Minecraft glitches out. It's been happening a lot more recently due to the minecart bugs.

pirata

Man, the GAF server is a ghost-town. It's really sad. Is everyone just waiting until that mining glitch is patched out?

Vlad

pirata said:
Man, the GAF server is a ghost-town. It's really sad. Is everyone just waiting until that mining glitch is patched out?

I know I am.

It's really not worth it to continue working on my dig, since even if I manage to get the timing down so that the blocks don't keep reappearing on me, it still seems like it takes twice as long to dig.

It's more than a little discouraging.

That, and it's the holiday weekend, so I'm guessing a lot of people might not even be in a situation to play. I know I've got a ton of family obligations anyway over the next few days.

Probably a little lttp on this one, but anyone who's able should probably take advantage of an arrow dupe glitch before it likely gets patched out tomorrow. Just fire an arrow into the ground or wall of your choice, approach with bow in hand and watch as an infinite stream of arrows fills your inventory (works faster with multiple arrows fired.) seems to have something to do with the new server software failing to update the arrow as being picked up and removed from the surface. I've stashed away like 5 large chests full :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Horsebite said:
So did he fix the reappearing block glitch yet? And what's going on with the server? :(
The last server I jumped on didn't seem to have the reappearing block thing. As far as I know it's fixed.

thespot84

thespot84 said:
the server wrapper crashes constantly. Not sure what to do about a fix yet.

I've reverted back to a previous release of the wrapper which is supposed to fix the crash issues. hopefully it stays up. The server is updated to the latest version, however.

Top Bottom