• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

So in my trips under Struggle Island II, I have encountered WAY more mines than I ever had in any other world I've played. I don't know if there was a slider to do that or not but, here we are. Really beautiful to see them all lit up with so much gold and diamond since I borked those sliders, still dangerously short on iron but it's not causing me too much trouble yet.

Question: I've run into two spawners so far - one was for normal spiders, and it had a chest in it so it was like one of those little dungeon rooms or whatever they're called made of cobblestone... but the other was mother effing cave spiders and the spawner was just right in the middle of an abandoned mine tunnel. Is that normal!?! I thought spawners only showed up in the dungeon room things! I've also apparently never run into cave spider before because I had no idea they could fit through a single-block sized hole and I died many, many times before I was able to toss a torch on top of that son of a bitch and get them to stop spawning.

Is there any reason to keep the cave spider spawner around? It seems like such a dangerous tool to let just... exist. I suppose I could put torches all over it and build a big prison around it but if they don't offer anything over the normal spiders I might just destroy the spawner.

masud

Banned
I always destroy cave spider spawners as they're useless to farm (unless you get 3 or 4 near each other). Also milk helps when you're fighting them cause it cures poison.

I went to spawn to grab more iron blocks and found that the clock running the hopper chain was missing a piece of redstone. I fixed it so iron would start flowing into the chests again but I have a feeling it may have been broken on purpose for some reason. Things got a bit laggy after I fixed it so I imagine that could be why but can anyone confirm?

-Minsc-

I went to spawn to grab more iron blocks and found that the clock running the hopper chain was missing a piece of redstone. I fixed it so iron would start flowing into the chests again but I have a feeling it may have been broken on purpose for some reason. Things got a bit laggy after I fixed it so I imagine that could be why but can anyone confirm?

I don't know. Feel free rig it up on a switch, that way it doesn't need to be on all the time.

The shield has revolutionized my spelunking activities. Yesterday, I spent several hour searching caves for riches and getting 360 no-scoped by Xx_420BlAzEiT_xX MLG skeletons before I realized that I hadn't actually made a shield yet. What a difference it's made.

Fuchsdh

The shield has revolutionized my spelunking activities. Yesterday, I spent several hour searching caves for riches and getting 360 no-scoped by Xx_420BlAzEiT_xX MLG skeletons before I realized that I hadn't actually made a shield yet. What a difference it's made.

I still need to get used to shields and off-handing. I feel like it's one of those mechanics that I'll still struggle with because I've got so many years of muscle memory for the old way of doing things.

Fuchsdh

After seeing that video, I really need to make a Wynd's Wings restaurant in gafopolis somewhere. Or maybe just a stall.

I'm actually building a structure with room for a restaurant in its bottom floor. You're welcome to occupy and furnish it if you don't wanna' build a whole structure.

After seeing that video, I really need to make a Wynd's Wings restaurant in gafopolis somewhere. Or maybe just a stall.

I'm actually building a structure with room for a restaurant in its bottom floor. You're welcome to occupy and furnish it if you don't wanna' build a whole structure.

Yeah, that whole section by the beach would probably suit smaller buildings like restaurants really well. And Rikui has an Ice Cream Stand on the beach.

Whelp, I think I may actually have to use creative mode for once to get an elytra. I wanted to seek one out so I took a trip to the end. Ran around for two straight hours and only found two cities, both of which had been raided. Ventured even further out thinking I must be getting close to seeing another one since it had been so long since the last one and then I ran into someone's netherack bridge. As I ran across it two endermen appeared (they were angry despite me not having looked at any) and they killed me.

Luckily I had crafted and enchanted a whole new set of tools and armor before the trip so all my Mending gear was safe in my enderchest.

GG The End.

Fuchsdh

Whelp, I think I may actually have to use creative mode for once to get an elytra. I wanted to seek one out so I took a trip to the end. Ran around for two straight hours and only found two cities, both of which had been raided. Ventured even further out thinking I must be getting close to seeing another one since it had been so long since the last one and then I ran into someone's netherack bridge. As I ran across it two endermen appeared (they were angry despite me not having looked at any) and they killed me.

Luckily I had crafted and enchanted a whole new set of tools and armor before the trip so all my Mending gear was safe in my enderchest.

GG The End.

I believe we all headed south or east (I know the places I went to were all due east) so if you're interested in raiding stuff I'd head west.

Still need to finish my End Fortress but I keep getting killed by endermen. Probably need to torch and slab every surface :p

I believe we all headed south or east (I know the places I went to were all due east) so if you're interested in raiding stuff I'd head west.

Still need to finish my End Fortress but I keep getting killed by endermen. Probably need to torch and slab every surface :p
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that if I go back.

Carry a bucket of water with you and drop it at your feet if they aggro. They won't be able to hit you and you can kill them at your leisure.

Also, the server is down. I was ALT+tabbed out in my zombie spawner farm letting them build up before killing them so I hope too many didn't spawn and crash it or something. I tested it once and it spawns about 30 in 5min so there could have been upwards of 200 mobs spawned by the time I checked.

EDIT: It's back up and I think it was something Mojang side. Anyway, there were 250 zombies in the kill chamber of my farm. I tossed a splash pot of healing and then got a rotten flesh shower, haha.

Fuchsdh

I wonder if there is an end map or something

Don't think there's any way of generating one in-game is there? I guess you could download the world and make something of it?

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that if I go back.

Carry a bucket of water with you and drop it at your feet if they aggro. They won't be able to hit you and you can kill them at your leisure.

Also, the server is down. I was ALT+tabbed out in my zombie spawner farm letting them build up before killing them so I hope too many didn't spawn and crash it or something. I tested it once and it spawns about 30 in 5min so there could have been upwards of 200 mobs spawned by the time I checked.

According to the console looks like the server started throwing up errors 16 minutes after you logged in along these lines:

Server thread/WARN Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2155ms behind, skipping 43 tick(s)

Haven't really seen that issue with mobs before, usually just manifests in serious server wide lag (like when someone filled spawn with chickens back in 1.7 Gafland.) But might want to kill them off a bit more readily just to be safe.

In any case, force restarted the server.

Dingens

after playing countless years on a friends server, (mostly alone for the last 2 years) he finally decided to end it... I took the map with me and converted it to an offline map. but since I have been playing exclusively online since I bought the game, I am now faced with a few new problems concerning mods. I always depended on world edit for my projects, but now I have to use the offline version and it's rather difficult to find "official" sites for everything, because there are a lot of scam and shady warez sites in between and even the official sites tend to look like a cheap scam sometimes

so basically what I'm looking for is a version of minecraft forge that is compatible with 1.9.2 (if that already exists?) and world edit for 1.9.2
so far I have not been able to find either (I guess it hasn't been released yet?) Could somebody point me towards a good source which I could check regularly to see if an update has been released yet?

after playing countless years on a friends server, (mostly alone for the last 2 years) he finally decided to end it... I took the map with me and converted it to an offline map. but since I have been playing exclusively online since I bought the game, I am now faced with a few new problems concerning mods. I always depended on world edit for my projects, but now I have to use the offline version and it's rather difficult to find "official" sites for everything, because there are a lot of scam and shady warez sites in between and even the official sites tend to look like a cheap scam sometimes

so basically what I'm looking for is a version of minecraft forge that is compatible with 1.9.2 (if that already exists?) and world edit for 1.9.2
so far I have not been able to find either (I guess it hasn't been released yet?) Could somebody point me towards a good source which I could check regularly to see if an update has been released yet?

Have you tried the 1.9 version on the Forge website yet? Don't know about World Edit, unfortunately.

So yeah, the elytra is amazing and everyone should get one (or a chest full in case you lose one). I took a flight from my base to spawn in a zig zagging path to see the sights of the server and it was a lot of fun. Even though the draw distance is too low to really see where you are going, once you stumble upon something interesting you can circle around and get cool views from the sky. I've gotten pretty good at taking off from the ground too so no matter where I land I can get back in the sky pretty quick.

For those who may not know, the trick to elytra travel is a bow with Punch 2, and Infinity. If you spam shoot at a slight upwards angle you can hit yourself and the Punch effect launches you forward. Having Unbreaking 3 and no Power enchants is also good and don't forget to bring food to regen HP. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but Mojang would be batshit insane to "fix" it.

Anyway, here's a shot of the pit from the air. So awesome.

CeDjDda.jpg

I just discovered you can use Jack-O-Lanters to light stuff under water. This makes building the underwater research facility in the lake on Struggle Island II sooo much easier wowwwww.

It would be cool if they could like... I don't know how to implement this but like say you have a hole in the ground, and it rains? If the rain lasts over a certain amount of time it would be cool if it filled the hole. So like if there are big storms you could potentially see new little lakes or rivers pop up.

Crispy75

It would be cool if they could like... I don't know how to implement this but like say you have a hole in the ground, and it rains? If the rain lasts over a certain amount of time it would be cool if it filled the hole. So like if there are big storms you could potentially see new little lakes or rivers pop up.

It feels easy, but it's actually a very hard problem to solve. If your hole spans a chunk border and the other chunk isn't loaded, how does it know if it's a little hole that can be filled, or the start of a massive chasm? Notch blogged about it way back in the inDev days and it's basically impossible. Classic could have water physics like this because the world was finite and bounded.

It feels easy, but it's actually a very hard problem to solve. If your hole spans a chunk border and the other chunk isn't loaded, how does it know if it's a little hole that can be filled, or the start of a massive chasm? Notch blogged about it way back in the inDev days and it's basically impossible. Classic could have water physics like this because the world was finite and bounded.

Ah bummer ):

I figured it would be a technical nightmare to program but it sure would be cool. It's one thing to have a randomly generated world but how awesome would it be if it like changed and evolved as you played? Earthquakes and volcanoes change terrain, maybe a certain ore could only be found in or around active volcanoes, new riverbeds can form after rains or evaporate after droughts, etc. Are there any games that can do that?

Fuchsdh

Hey all,

I just updated the server to v1.9.4. You may or may not need to upgrade your clients.

You mean 1.9.3? That's the update I see on /r/Minecraft.

1.9.3 Changelog:
General

Added & changed some minor things
Improved chunk cache performance
Decreased memory usage for biome caching
Fixed some bugs
Fixed a memory leak in pathfinding
Fixed pathfinding performance issues introduced in 15w49a
Fixed entity collision causing excessive lag
Fixed a performance issue in chunk generation
Fixed some wasteful code for navigation listeners
Fixed ArmorStand collision code being wasteful
Fixed Zombie pathfinding to unreachable targets causing server lag
Fixed some erroneous skin part display logic
Fixed a crash when trading too many items at once
Fixed the sound engine pitch algorithm not working properly

Hopefully that stuff addresses the random fatal errors.

EDIT: Wait but Spigot got updated for 1.9.4. Ok whatever, I'm confused I guess.

Hey all,

I just updated the server to v1.9.4. You may or may not need to upgrade your clients.
Thanks!

FYI when you get disconnected while flying, like I did at the nightly restart, you will drop like a rock when you log back on. Luckily I was over water but probably going to set an alarm from now on so I can get somewhere safe.

komarkaze

Anyone playing this on Xbox One? I got this last month but don't know how to join an online game. I can start my own online sessions though, so maybe it's only friends that you can join.

Just saw they have 4 birthday skins pack available for free on the marketplace.

Fuchsdh

Anyone playing this on Xbox One? I got this last month but don't know how to join an online game. I can start my own online sessions though, so maybe it's only friends that you can join.

Just saw they have 4 birthday skins pack available for free on the marketplace.

Yeah on Xbox multiplayer is limited to friends with open worlds.

There are lots of places with "open" servers where they put out calls and you friend them to get access, though. http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-xbox-one-edition/mcxone-multiplayer/mcxone-servers

Ah bummer ):

I figured it would be a technical nightmare to program but it sure would be cool. It's one thing to have a randomly generated world but how awesome would it be if it like changed and evolved as you played? Earthquakes and volcanoes change terrain, maybe a certain ore could only be found in or around active volcanoes, new riverbeds can form after rains or evaporate after droughts, etc. Are there any games that can do that?

Well I do think there are mods that add features similar to this, with water flowing, and different heights, and puddles, and waves, and floods, and things like that. But yeah, they do run in to problems as have been mentioned. I remember a cool one from way back when that I doubt is still running, but generally when one mod stops, someone else picks up the mantle, so I'm sure there's still ways to do this.

MegaPanda

How do I get in on this?
Got a sudden urge to dig some dirt caves and figured I might as well do it with GAFers

MC name is MegaPanda

So in ALL my time playing Minecraft, I have only run into Slimes twice. Once in the very very first world I ever spawned, and once under Struggle Island II a couple days ago.

It was just one, and a little one. I was on my way back from deep under the sea and suddenly, in a stretch of cave I'd been through many times before, a little Slime was bouncing around.

I killed it and took its Slime Ball but I want to ask GAF: how do I make more spawn? I remember exactly where it was, playing in the dust of some Red Stone brick, so is there a way to terraform the entire area into a more Slime-friendly spawning ground? I've never been able to play with stuff like Sticky Pistons and everything else you can make with Slime Balls so if there's any chance I can coax more Slimes out I would love to know how.

http://chunkbase.com/apps/slime-finder

They only spawn in certain chunks below level 40 and you can use the above site to find the slime chunks by entering your world seed. They also ignore light level so building a slime farm just requires a lot of digging in the right place and then keeping it lit to prevent other spawns. You can use the F3 debug menu in-game to find your current location and chunk values.

http://chunkbase.com/apps/slime-finder

They only spawn in certain chunks below level 40 and you can use the above site to find the slime chunks by entering your world seed. They also ignore light level so building a slime farm just requires a lot of digging in the right place and then keeping it lit to prevent other spawns. You can use the F3 debug menu in-game to find your current location and chunk values.

Sweeeeet thank you!

Sweeeeet thank you!
No problem. When digging keep in mind that the big slimes need 4 blocks of height to spawn (I think, maybe it's 3). What you can do is dig out spawning floors, 4 blocks apart, as far down as you want in the slime chunk you choose to increase you spawning rates. You can also find multiple slime chunks that are next to each other to get even more spawns when you are in the area. Unfortunately there isn't much need for tons of slime unless you want to actually build a whole structure from the blocks.

I built a farm out of a row of 6 chunks and it was mostly just for the fun of building.

No problem. When digging keep in mind that the big slimes need 4 blocks of height to spawn (I think, maybe it's 3). What you can do is dig out spawning floors, 4 blocks apart, as far down as you want in the slime chunk you choose to increase you spawning rates. You can also find multiple slime chunks that are next to each other to get even more spawns when you are in the area. Unfortunately there isn't much need for tons of slime unless you want to actually build a whole structure from the blocks.

I built a farm out of a row of 6 chunks and it was mostly just for the fun of building.

I was planning to use them to make leads for the 4 Skeleton Horses I have corralled on a little island and Sticky Pistons to try automated farming!

And it totally worked! I used the F3 menu and found the nearest chunk, dug to it, made a big open square (I just did 2 blocks high because I wasn't aware it needed to be 4) and then left to make sure the area surrounding it was totally lit, came back and there was already a baby Slime! So I'm gonna make the room larger now to spawn bigger Slimes. Awesome!

Time to get all the Slime. All of it!!

Top Bottom