• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

tr00per

I hope it's okay to post this question here.

I know the ps4/xbox one version is larger than the ps3/360 version, but is still behind on updates, but is it missing other things like the other console versions, for example skeleton horses?

I want to continue my saves from the ps3/vita version with couch co-op

Thanks GAF

Success!

Today I finally got my 3 villagers that will hopefully breed because I converted them from zombies. After tearing down all the rails I had set up over at the village I did some caving near my base and ran into a zombie villager. I dug a tunnel back, trapped him and cured him. Then when I went back to where I had been exploring I came across a zombie spawner and got the other two almost immediately. I hadn't even thought about using a spawner to get them. I also learned that the monster spinning in the cage is the next to spawn so you can see if it's a villager or dude with armor or whatever. Pretty cool.

One of them is a librarian who sells a Silk Touch book for only 1 book and 7 emeralds!

Success!

Today I finally got my 3 villagers that will hopefully breed because I converted them from zombies. After tearing down all the rails I had set up over at the village I did some caving near my base and ran into a zombie villager. I dug a tunnel back, trapped him and cured him. Then when I went back to where I had been exploring I came across a zombie spawner and got the other two almost immediately. I hadn't even thought about using a spawner to get them. I also learned that the monster spinning in the cage is the next to spawn so you can see if it's a villager or dude with armor or whatever. Pretty cool.

One of them is a librarian who sells a Silk Touch book for only 1 book and 7 emeralds!

I be making some trips out there soon, me thinks.

I just loaded up my Struggle Island world and let 1.9 changes wash over it, and I gotta say

I HATE the new controls for the boats.

Is there any way to change it back, or do I just have to get used to it? I really don't like not being able to 360 turn inside the boat without having to completely stop, and having the "view" be separate from the direction you're trying to row in is really unintuitive and distracting for me. Maybe there's a reason they changed it that I haven't come across yet but even just zipping from island to island is a huge pain in the ass for me now.

):

Fuchsdh

I just loaded up my Struggle Island world and let 1.9 changes wash over it, and I gotta say

I HATE the new controls for the boats.

Is there any way to change it back, or do I just have to get used to it? I really don't like not being able to 360 turn inside the boat without having to completely stop, and having the "view" be separate from the direction you're trying to row in is really unintuitive and distracting for me. Maybe there's a reason they changed it that I haven't come across yet but even just zipping from island to island is a huge pain in the ass for me now.

):

Just build ice luges for the boats and zip around happy and free :)

Well, crap. I build my villager breeder with my newly cured villagers annnnnd.... they won't pick up food. I took too google and found out that this is because mob griefing is turn off on the server so creepers won't blow up blocks, endermen won't take blocks, and mobs won't pick up items.

:(

Fuchsdh

Well, crap. I build my villager breeder with my newly cured villagers annnnnd.... they won't pick up food. I took too google and found out that this is because mob griefing is turn off on the server so creepers won't blow up blocks, endermen won't take blocks, and mobs won't pick up items.

Ah, that would explain it. Hmm, does this mean with vanilla and mob-griefing we can't breed more villagers as of 1.9? That's a shame.

Ah, that would explain it. Hmm, does this mean with vanilla and mob-griefing we can't breed more villagers as of 1.9? That's a shame.
I don't think it's 1.9, I think turning off mob griefing has always done that. You can still breed them though but you need to make them willing by trading which is slooooooooooooow.

I'm going to rework my plan and probably connect the zombie spawner to my base with a nice tunnel and make a curing station near the spawner with easy minecart transfer. Also if I can get a bunch of clerics as my breeders I can just do zombie flesh trades for days and still use the breeding machine I made.

It'd be cool if griefing could be turned ON but handle creepers and endermen through command blocks or something. On the Hermitcraft server they have a command block that gives all endermen the piston extension block when they spawn. Since it's not a placeable block they can't put it down and thus can never pick up any real blocks. There's also got to be some command for creepers that can disable their ability to explode blocks.

Bentles

Woooah I wondered about why I could never breed villagers on gaf for soo long. That explains a lot. Will farmers be able to pick up stuff they harvest or can they not even do that? Because that's supposed to make them breed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Mob Griefing needs to have more granular options. I just want to disable Creeper damage and Enderman griefing, but still have mob pickups active.

Woooah I wondered about why I could never breed villagers on gaf for soo long. That explains a lot. Will farmers be able to pick up stuff they harvest or can they not even do that? Because that's supposed to make them breed.
Nope, they won't harvest at all I think since breaking the "blocks" that are the planted food counts as griefing. However, as I said above you can still get them to breed by trading with them. According to the wiki the 1st trade always makes them willing and there's a 20% chance for subsequent trades. When two willing villagers are near each other and the village isn't at full capacity they will breed.

The new Enderman Grinder + 1.9 combat changes = a beautiful thing.
Sweet, my base is famous! :D

I'd love to give you a proper tour sometime but I play at weird hours, really early on weekdays before work (I play at work too so I don't have a mic there) and really late on Fri/Sat night. If you end up back there though here's some things to know:

- The guardians don't die out of water, the farm is just set to XP mode. Next to the killing chamber there are some stairs where you can throw splash damage potions (in the chest in front of the push-button brewing stand) down onto them to kill them and then gather the XP near the bottom where there are holes in the glass. There is also a button up there to toggle some lava blades at the top so they will take fire damage along with the fall damage and die on impact just to collect drops.

- The melon and sugar cane farms are automatic and copied from some youtubers but the netherwart farm is my own invention. One button flushes water through the system to harvest it all and after it's flushed you can press the other button to dispense a minecart that you can get in. It will take you all the way through the farm so you can replant all the netherwart. It moves fast and is hard to plant it on every block as it moves but how much netherwart does one really need, right? At the end the cart breaks on a cactus and gets put back in the dispenser and you are popped out in front of a water drop tube to get back down.

- There is a water drop down to the lower part near my chest wall and then a minecart elevator to get back up.

- All the redstone on the normal mob grinder is to extend a floor that will make it non-lethal. This was my first plan to acquire zombie villagers to cure. The lever just toggles the floor so give it a flip next time you are there if you want to check it out. The drops are collected by the hopper floor and sent up an item elevator to some chests to the right of my main chest wall under the monument.

- You saw some slimes spawn from the other slime chunk in the base but there is another that I built a farm out of with all the green glass. I also build a slime farm out of 6 connected slime chunks to the west of the lighthouse. That was another big water clearing project as the chunks were all in the middle of the ocean. I think I dug down to Y=30 for the floor. The item elevators haven't been updated for 1.9 but it still looks cool with iron golems to bait the slimes into killing themselves on the cacti.

I've finally connected my base to the existing nether pathways. It's right off the 1.8 town hub and has a rail line as well as a staircase to get to the ice path at the top where you can use boats or sprint+jump for super speed in case there's no minecarts. It's still in progress but it's functional.

UxmrYjX.png

EDIT:

"Hmmm, no mobs are spawning anywhere again. Guess I'll go check the zombie spawner and see it it's working... Yep, it's working and hey there's a zombie Librarian. Might as well cure him real quick before I log off for the night. Hope he has good trades."

YEEEEAHHHHH BABY!!

NihonTiger, I imagine Mending books might be even more appealing to you than Silk Touch so feel free to swing by again. And don't worry, you can't change his trades at all so trade as much as you like. He also has Aqua Affinity, Smite 4, and Name Tags. If you don't have the emeralds there are 3 Mending books in the single floor chest in front of the wall o' chests near the villager and you can have them. I have the sugar cane and zombie flesh farms to get all the emeralds I need so I'll be getting all the Mending I need from now on.

Hmm, wonder if those blocks are a new easier way to transport lava. Break them and they turn to lava but use Silk Touch and you can pick them up in stacks?

Also, my mob spawning problems seem to have gone away, hopefully for good. I logged on for the last few min of my lunch and mobs were raining out of my farms again. I threw mending on my boots, which were in the red, and killed one batch of guardians and they were fully repaired. Almost immediately after, the guardians were raining down into the killing chamber again.

Fingers crossed that my days of exploring completely empty caves are over.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmm, wonder if those blocks are a new easier way to transport lava. Break them and they turn to lava but use Silk Touch and you can pick them up in stacks?.

I'm guessing they are more like Hellstone from Terraria, meaning they slowly damage you if you walk on them or touch them.

Have they announced any theme yet for 1.10? Is it going to be a new Nether update?

I'm guessing they are more like Hellstone from Terraria, meaning they slowly damage you if you walk on them or touch them.

Have they announced any theme yet for 1.10? Is it going to be a new Nether update?

Man, Minecraft update speculation is always so fun. I really like that idea. Particularly if they coupled it with an item to allow you to cross them safely. Some special type of boot, maybe.

The biggest problem with adventuring in Minecraft isn't the lack of things to do. It's that every single thing there is to do can be done with the same stuff. Get yourself an diamond armor set, diamond pick, and diamond sword, and you can do just about everything in the game. Which is a bummer, as those are easy to get. The game doesn't need to be harder. Just give me challenges that have to be met in different ways. Make it so that when I find something, I have to maybe prepare for it by making or finding or learning new things. That would add challenge without needing to make stupid difficult enemies.

r1chard

Man, Minecraft update speculation is always so fun. I really like that idea. Particularly if they coupled it with an item to allow you to cross them safely. Some special type of boot, maybe.

The biggest problem with adventuring in Minecraft isn't the lack of things to do. It's that every single thing there is to do can be done with the same stuff. Get yourself an diamond armor set, diamond pick, and diamond sword, and you can do just about everything in the game. Which is a bummer, as those are easy to get. The game doesn't need to be harder. Just give me challenges that have to be met in different ways. Make it so that when I find something, I have to maybe prepare for it by making or finding or learning new things. That would add challenge without needing to make stupid difficult enemies.
One of the things I love about mods is that they can provide levelling up without actually having "levels" as such. Build basic mechanisms to be able to build more advanced mechanisms. Build gear of a certain quality that allows you to mine / fight at a higher difficulty to get better gear to be able to ... and so on. But yeah, vanilla Minecraft just kinda stops at the relatively-easy-to-achieve diamond gear.

-Minsc-

Is the dynamap thing for GAF server gone for good or temporarily?

Back in 2014, due to some legal disputes, the Bukkit server project came to a hault. Bukkit was used to run various server plugins, including Dynmap. The last version of Bukkit supports up to Minecraft 1.7.10. It is possible to use Dynmap running a Forge server and potentially with the up-and-coming SpongAPI. Neither Forge or Sponge have anything I'd call stable support yet for Minecraft 1.9 so we'd be limited to 1.8.9. Since this server was for the most part vanilla anyway I made the call to go 100% vanilla. This way we can keep up-to-date with the latest features of Minecraft.

With the long answer out of the way, I have no current plans to bring Dynmap back. We do have a static map which fuchs keeps updated somewhat monthly.

Edit: There was never really a perfect solution, back when we had Dynmap and other plugins we were always behind the release version of Minecraft. For example, Minecraft 1.7.2 released Oct. 25, 2013 and we didn't update to 1.7 until Jan. 1, 2014 (granted, I took some extra time in that case to figure out how to make all the plugins work together properly and build the spawn area for the new world area).

Son1x

Back in 2014, due to some legal disputes, the Bukkit server project came to a hault. Bukkit was used to run various server plugins, including Dynmap. The last version of Bukkit supports up to Minecraft 1.7.10. It is possible to use Dynmap running a Forge server and potentially with the up-and-coming SpongAPI. Neither Forge or Sponge have anything I'd call stable support yet for Minecraft 1.9 so we'd be limited to 1.8.9. Since this server was for the most part vanilla anyway I made the call to go 100% vanilla. This way we can keep up-to-date with the latest features of Minecraft.

With the long answer out of the way, I have no current plans to bring Dynmap back. We do have a static map which fuchs keeps updated somewhat monthly.

I see, a shame but I can understand the decision.

Static ain't the same, but it'll do. I mostly use it to find potential building space.

-Minsc-

I see, a shame but I can understand the decision.

Static ain't the same, but it'll do. I mostly use it to find potential building space.

The lack of Dynmap certainly hasn't stopped people from building awesome stuff.

FYI, we do allow both survival and creative mode building on the server. At spawn there's a small monument which gives players the ability to change their gamemode between the two. This is thanks to the wonders of command blocks.

-Minsc-

A few days ago I joined a server for a game called StarMade. I had forgotten what it's like to not have the ability to restart the server when it goes offline.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of which, I pulled down a new copy of the server and am uploading it to the mapping service. I'll update when it has updated :)

A few days ago I joined a server for a game called StarMade. I had forgotten what it's like to not have the ability to restart the server when it goes offline.

Are you gonna' do more YT videos?

-Minsc-

Speaking of which, I pulled down a new copy of the server and am uploading it to the mapping service. I'll update when it has updated :)

Are you gonna' do more YT videos?

The thought is there. I just have to set aside the time to cut together my recordings.

Omg polar bears are coming in 1.10 along with a new type of skeleton? I've always wanted them to beef up the different mobs for the snow, it feels so barren. I'd love a Yeti type mob. And maybe snakes or something unique to the desert.

Omg polar bears are coming in 1.10 along with a new type of skeleton? I've always wanted them to beef up the different mobs for the snow, it feels so barren. I'd love a Yeti type mob. And maybe snakes or something unique to the desert.
New mobs are neat but slabs and stairs for all blocks? Mojang pls?

So I've totally changed my opinion on Mending. I love it now and all the hours I spent to finally get it has been worth it. Being able to tear through blocks and then spend a couple minutes in an XP farm to heal all my armor and tools back up is awesome. I've started holding my pick in offhand when I'm fighting nether mobs too so it gets healed as I murder.

So I started a fresh world to check out all the new stuff. Called it Struggle Island II because I really dig water worlds and I want to force myself to get used to the shitty new boat controls. Initially I called my laptop's world Struggle Island just because I thought it would be a challenge to play Minecraft in a world mostly submerged in water. But for Struggle Island II I went in and without really knowing too much of what I was doing, played with the sliders for how much and where different ores appear. Well Struggle Island II is really living up to its name because I somehow have almost 200 diamonds but I have less than 50 pieces of Iron and my home base is surrounded by skeleton horsemen floating in the water waiting to kill me.

Fuchsdh

So I started a fresh world to check out all the new stuff. Called it Struggle Island II because I really dig water worlds and I want to force myself to get used to the shitty new boat controls. Initially I called my laptop's world Struggle Island just because I thought it would be a challenge to play Minecraft in a world mostly submerged in water. But for Struggle Island II I went in and without really knowing too much of what I was doing, played with the sliders for how much and where different ores appear. Well Struggle Island II is really living up to its name because I somehow have almost 200 diamonds but I have less than 50 pieces of Iron and my home base is surrounded by skeleton horsemen floating in the water waiting to kill me.

This seems to be the dominant danger of the brave new post-1.9 world, haha. Definitely seen plenty menacingly floating off the coast of Gaffopolis... I'm worried they might be an issue as I work on my coastal-facing wall on my survival build.

-Minsc-

That does sound like a mighty pickle.

Edit: Slowly, but surely, Gaffopolis is coming together.

soldat7

So....getting an Xbox One tonight and wanted to check if my 360 DLC and maps and saves and such will transfer over from the 360...I have a bad feeling about the answer...

Top Bottom