• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Seep

Just me then? Weird.

Edit: I think I've found the problem. It only happens on my live account. My sons offline account and my old silver account are fine.

What the hell is wrong here?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So how is the patch. I want to fire it up. I am wondering if my worlds are going to be broken.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Something really strange has happened to my Xbox Minecraft, the screen goes pitch black once I select play and I can't look round as player 1 no matter which stick I use, player 2 is completely fine. Also the big minecraft logo from the main menu screen is still visible on the game screen blocking my view. WTF?

This happened to me once. All the settings at reset to 0. So zero brightness and zero movement sensitivity.

Seanspeed

Banned
So how is the patch. I want to fire it up. I am wondering if my worlds are going to be broken.

There's been some issues with existing game worlds apparently, though not very many seem to be complaining that anything is 'broken'. Mainly just some bugs and other minor annoyances. I still haven't tried an old world yet, so I cant say anything from personal experience.

With a new world, I'm enjoying it, but I still haven't done all that much. The animal spawning seems much different now and is affecting my ability to go exploring a bit, so I haven't seen much of the new terrain generation additions, but I'm getting there. Despite that, it still feels kinda like a new game. The sprint ability alone is a godsend.

EDIT: Here's where people are listing things they've found wrong since the update:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1523661-mcxbla-official-known-bugs-list-updated-for-182/

Wouldn't let it scare you, just things that could potentially be an issue for you.

Linius

I finally played some Minecraft again, it's been months now. Decided to start a new world (Gargamel seed). When my world opened the first time I recieved that achievement for befriending five wolves out of the blue. So that was a nice present I guess? :p

Anyways, found a NPC village near spawn with a great start point to build a mine so that's what I'm going to do first. The house that's the closest to the mine entrance already has a lava pit and four furnaces. And there's water and a working farm in the village as well. I love it there.

Mastperf

The biggest update this game will likely ever receive and this thread is still dead. Seems the move to Community really sucks the life out of some threads.

Ranger X

Anybody know of any mob grinders that work for the Xbox version that kills both regular mobs AND spiders? Its important that it gets spiders, too. I spent some time learning about how to build this one mob grinder only to find out at the end it wont kill spiders, which was an annoying waste of time. I need the string to make wool.

EDIT: Ok, think I've found one. I'll take suggestions still. Simpler is better.

Drowning tubes is still the best approach. All mobs can drown except Endermen. For them you need Fall Damage grinders. Also, as opposed to lava and cactus based kill chambers, a drowning tube will return you 100% of the drops.

FyreWulff

The biggest update this game will likely ever receive and this thread is still dead. Seems the move to Community really sucks the life out of some threads.

Well, it's also a symptom of the very transient nature of XBLA communities. It's hard to hang on when the new shiny comes along every other week.

MrDaravon

Well, it's also a symptom of the very transient nature of XBLA communities. It's hard to hang on when the new shiny comes along every other week.

Isn't Minecraft still the top or about the top of the Most played games on Arcade every listing though? I'd chalk this one up more to it being a smaller scale and behind version of a PC game that most people have played (and possibly been done with) for years. Also just because of the type of game it is, it tends to not garner a lot of discussion, at least with the pain in the ass workaround you have to do to take screenshots of the 360 version.

Did they ever increase the size of the world? Me and my friends played the living crap out of this for about a month, but that was a huge bummer, combined with new content (mostly) not applying to old worlds. Once they get fully caught up in patches I might hop back in, but the world limitation was already an issue in our games.

Slygmous

I started a new world but haven't given it much time yet. I could never get the game working on my laptop (overheats and shuts down) so it's my first experience with all this new content.

Did they ever increase the size of the world? Me and my friends played the living crap out of this for about a month, but that was a huge bummer, combined with new content (mostly) not applying to old worlds. Once they get fully caught up in patches I might hop back in, but the world limitation was already an issue in our games.

Some people online were speculating that they had increased the world size slightly, but as nothing was officially said about that I'm going to go on assuming they didn't. I wish they had figured out some kind of large world streaming method for consoles or something, I wouldn't have even minded the occasional loading screen...

Seanspeed

Banned
Drowning tubes is still the best approach. All mobs can drown except Endermen. For them you need Fall Damage grinders. Also, as opposed to lava and cactus based kill chambers, a drowning tube will return you 100% of the drops.
Thats good to know. Are drowning tubes low yield(as in, dont produce very many items very quickly)? I can deal with that, I'm just curious.

Its gonna be a little while before I get working on one probably, so I'm just trying to plan things out for now.

I've also read that a lot of the smaller, simpler mob grinders(like fall damage ones) require caves and everything nearby to be completely lit up so mobs are encouraged to spawn in the place you want them to instead of elsewhere. How much does this actually have an effect?

Did they ever increase the size of the world?
99% sure its the same size. If its any bigger, its not noticeable.

Mastperf

Here are some seeds I've come across online. I haven't tried these but most seem to contain multiple biomes, caves, ravines and villages.

Most of these come from minecraftforum.net.
biomes
Evanescence
yolo
SWAMP BIOME
IHC SCOUT
GLASIERS505
foluwesholaameobi
fartsy hob
dontmakemekillyou
spudmonkee

Ranger X

Thats good to know. Are drowning tubes low yield(as in, dont produce very many items very quickly)? I can deal with that, I'm just curious.

Its gonna be a little while before I get working on one probably, so I'm just trying to plan things out for now.

I've also read that a lot of the smaller, simpler mob grinders(like fall damage ones) require caves and everything nearby to be completely lit up so mobs are encouraged to spawn in the place you want them to instead of elsewhere. How much does this actually have an effect?

99% sure its the same size. If its any bigger, its not noticeable.

For any Mob grinder to work at full efficiency, you need all the caves that in the same chunk completely lit. Long story short, the only dark place where mobs can spawns are inside the mob grinder.

For the drowning tube, it's slower to start giving the loot because you have to wait for the first mobs to drawn. Once the drawning begin however, it's just as fast as anything else.

Make your tube out of glass. When the mobs will fall in it, the won't be able to swim up (glass prevents that).

Here's some pics of my lastest water based mob grinder:
It's having 2 different tubes, one for drowning (loot) and the other one for XP (they fall into a small place and you slash ennemies through that hole you see there)

MG035.png

Here's what a spawning floor looks like. I like them 8x8x2. Canals are 2 blocks deep with holes in certain corners.

MG07.png

All the mobs from that falls from the holes are are lined up into one last canal in the pool chamber.

MG05.png

This last canal brings the mob into the drowing tube (or XP tube when you toggle my switches :)

MG01.png

finished product:

MG08.png

Lawd that's fancy, very nice work!

So I'm loving creative mode. Loading up a new seed and soaring above the mountains like superman is fkn awesome. Much much more fun to explore the landscape from above. And TNT.. oh my TNT. My buddy and I have been building mountaintop peaks out of the stuff and then using a TNT cannon to light the whole thing. And lining villages with TNT and then shooting that with a TNT cannon. God damn addiction all over again.

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks Ranger X. Yours is damn impressive(seen it in the regular Minecraft thread) but I dont think I'll be going quite that big/complicated. I'm currently in the process of lighting up the cave system beneath my base area, but it just keeps going on and on. Its gotta be like 5x as big as anything I've seen before(found 3 different dungeons in it so far). I'm enjoying exploring it, but I kinda just want to be done with it now! lol

EDIT: Found 5 dungeons now! Geez. I think I've gotten most of the area explored and lit up now, though. I tried to build a fall trap for a spider spawner, but it doesn't work, like every single mob grinder I try and make. Even made it 30 blocks deep to make sure, but they're still alive when they hit the bottom. I'm really hesitant building anything bigger if I cant even get the super-simple ones to work. Ugh.

Taffer

I tried to build a fall trap for a spider spawner, but it doesn't work, like every single mob grinder I try and make.

Have you tried using a lava blade to kill the mobs?

Example on the wiki.

The first time I built this it worked perfectly, the second time round it tended to get clogged by spiders en route to the blade (but killed eveything just fine). Both of these were on the PC so the rest of that grinder may not be optimal for the Xbox version, I'm just suggesting the lava blade included in it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Have you tried using a lava blade to kill the mobs?

Example on the wiki.

The first time I built this it worked perfectly, the second time round it tended to get clogged by spiders en route to the blade (but killed eveything just fine). Both of these were on the PC so the rest of that grinder may not be optimal for the Xbox version, I'm just suggesting the lava blade included in it.

I haven't yet but the bigger one I was planning did. It used 4 of them.

I'm just scared because its a pretty large project(for me, at least) and if it doesn't work, it would probably be the end of me playing this game. I'm already pretty frustrated at all my work(research, resource gathering and building) with previous ones going to waste, I dont think I could stomach having it happen on a large scale. I really wish I knew why mine weren't working. I dont mind a bit of troubleshooting, cuz I can learn from that, but I have no idea what could possibly going wrong.

bengraven

All right, I think I'm ready to be back with this update.

First things first, I want to completely restart from fresh, no cheats, nothing, and start again.

I may even force myself to play the first world I spawn in.

I'm kinda sad that this update came out so close to Halo 4's release. All of my free time is going to be spent in Halo 4 for a while. :/

Linius

I'm kinda sad that this update came out so close to Halo 4's release. All of my free time is going to be spent in Halo 4 for a while. :/

Same here. Will do my best to finish AC: III before Halo's release. After that it's only Halo and some FIFA on the side for me :p

By the by, based on unique users we got these XBL stats...

WKNVc.png

Amazing.

Seanspeed

Banned
If I had Xbox Live Gold I would have joined your game and check/test. But yeah, no Gold here. :p
Thats cool, thanks though. I just need to learn all these little 'rules' in the game about how everything works. I think after doing a little research, spiders apparently slow themselves down when falling if there's a wall nearby. 30 should have been deep enough, but perhaps they're being slowed the entire way down and I need to widen the drop pit a bit. I'll try that as it shouldn't take too much time.

All right, I think I'm ready to be back with this update.

First things first, I want to completely restart from fresh, no cheats, nothing, and start again.

I may even force myself to play the first world I spawn in.
Be careful with that. There's ocean biomes now and there's a fair amount of people reporting that they're spawning in maps with like 90-95% water. I got pretty lucky with my first 'new update' map, but others aren't being as fortunate.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Playing my first new world since the update. I have encountered many of the new features, and they make exploring alot more fun. My only grief is the lack of friendly mobs. I know animals dont despawn anymore, everytime I find one its stuck in the entrance to a cave somehow or another. And sheep dont regrow their wool, wtf?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I downloaded this to see what the fuss is about. Pretty cool so far. I just don't see myself playing for much longer. Once I get a few redstones and maybe make a few minecarts, what's left to do? I guess just build shit, but that will get boring after a while.

hgplayer1

I downloaded this to see what the fuss is about. Pretty cool so far. I just don't see myself playing for much longer. Once I get a few redstones and maybe make a few minecarts, what's left to do? I guess just build shit, but that will get boring after a while.

I think that's the fun part for most people is coming up with an idea and then making it happen.

For me personally I will sometimes find myself mining out a tunnel from one side of the map to the other and figuring out how to get around the lava and water and stuff and thats all I do for a whole session. Its somehow relaxing.

Multiplayer is great for many reasons. I love just helping out on a project. Sometimes just entering someone else's world to see what they have done since the last time you were there is awesome.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Going through the achievements will give you a good idea of what the game has to offer.

Seanspeed

Banned
Going through the achievements will give you a good idea of what the game has to offer.

Gotta disagree with that. Most of the acheivements are pretty basic and bland.

Minecraft tends to be a game that gives back the more you put into it. It also wont appeal to everyone, either. I find I get bored if I dont have something in mind to do, whether it be a building project, exploring new areas or mining for resources or something. I also have fun just looking on the internet at what other people are doing. Its both entertaining on its own, but also inspiring for yourself and your world sometimes.

So anyways, does anybody know how the enemy spawning works specifically? I've gotten my spider spawner fall trap to work(widened it from 2x5 to 4x7 so they dont slow down on the walls), but they dont spawn if I'm sat at the bottom of the trap(30 blocks down). So I've gotta go up nearer the spawner to get them to spawn, wait a few minutes to get some to die and then go back down to collect. Rinse and repeat. I'd obviously prefer to just be able to sit at the bottom and let them constantly drop down. Would save me time and also get me more string. I read something about having to be within 40 blocks or something, but what does that mean in three dimensions? 40 blocks along the x-axis, y-axis, z-axis?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Minecraft tends to be a game that gives back the more you put into it. It also wont appeal to everyone, either. I find I get bored if I dont have something in mind to do, whether it be a building project, exploring new areas or mining for resources or something. I also have fun just looking on the internet at what other people are doing. Its both entertaining on its own, but also inspiring for yourself and your world sometimes.

So anyways, does anybody know how the enemy spawning works specifically? I've gotten my spider spawner fall trap to work(widened it from 2x5 to 4x7 so they dont slow down on the walls), but they dont spawn if I'm sat at the bottom of the trap(30 blocks down). So I've gotta go up nearer the spawner to get them to spawn, wait a few minutes to get some to die and then go back down to collect. Rinse and repeat. I'd obviously prefer to just be able to sit at the bottom and let them constantly drop down. Would save me time and also get me more string. I read something about having to be within 40 blocks or something, but what does that mean in three dimensions? 40 blocks along the x-axis, y-axis, z-axis?

I think he means in the sense of the bare-bones basics as to what you can do in the game - the requirements to earn the Achievements require some effort in mining and crafting things over time, and once someone grasps those things, the sky is the limit if they are creative, or have others to play with.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
I think he means in the sense of the bare-bones basics as to what you can do in the game - the requirements to earn the Achievements require some effort in mining and crafting things over time, and once someone grasps those things, the sky is the limit if they are creative, or have others to play with.
Exactly, by the time I had most of the achievements I was hooked.

Buddermilk

Neo Member

You have to be within a 16 block radius of the Mob spawn for it to be active. The mobs will spawn anywhere in a 8Wx8Lx3H radius of the mob spawner. If you're trying to harvest spiders, I would recommend using a cactus spawn trap.

Double D

My son has this on the 360 and the pocket edition. He got straight A's on his report card and the one thing he wants is the PC version. Is there any difference between the versions at this point? I obviously want to reward the kid but I'd hate to get this only for him to realize its the same game minus controller support.

hgplayer1

My son has this on the 360 and the pocket edition. He got straight A's on his report card and the one thing he wants is the PC version. Is there any difference between the versions at this point? I obviously want to reward the kid but I'd hate to get this only for him to realize its the same game minus controller support.

From what I hear the most important thing is an almost endless world size if your PC can handle it.

Seanspeed

Banned
You have to be within a 16 block radius of the Mob spawn for it to be active. The mobs will spawn anywhere in a 8Wx8Lx3H radius of the mob spawner. If you're trying to harvest spiders, I would recommend using a cactus spawn trap.
Thanks for that. I've heard cactus traps are less efficient, but if it means less going up and down a long ass ladder, I'll look into it.

PC version is always a big update or two ahead of the 360 version. Plus its got a basically endless world instead of the relatively small limited map on the 360. And then there's all the mods that are available. I've heard that despite its low-fi graphics, its actually fairly demanding on a PC, though. If you've got some decent hardware, I'd say its definitely the version to have.

EDIT:

Also, that cave system I was talking about earlier that was huge - still haven't found the ends of it yet. 6 dungeons, 3 ravines, well over half a thousand iron , and it just doesn't seem to end. Got really lucky with this seed. The entire system is basically right at the spawn of the map, too.

ckohler

Newb question: what is a spawn trap?

A mob trap situated around a monster spawner block (those little cage blocks that appear in dungeons that continuously spawn monsters when you are near them). Basically, you can build a trap that when the mobs are spawned by the spawner block, they are killed and you collect their drops without your needing to fight them.

Seanspeed

Banned
Speaking of dungeons, has anybody found melon or pumpkin seeds in any chests? I've found none. Every single chest seems to have the same things - few pieces of iron, a saddle, some wheat, string and usually a bucket. I'd like to get a pumpkin farm going especially, but seems like I've just gotta cross my fingers I find some seeds.

Cat Party

Creative Mode, i.e., blowing up half the map with TNT, is awesome.

I want to figure out how to make mob traps now. I've seen these canal traps and they look doable for me. But do Endermen mess everything up?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
A mob trap situated around a monster spawner block (those little cage blocks that appear in dungeons that continuously spawn monsters when you are near them). Basically, you can build a trap that when the mobs are spawned by the spawner block, they are killed and you collect their drops without your needing to fight them.

Oh, Ok. I still have yet to come across a dungeon :p

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Speaking of dungeons, has anybody found melon or pumpkin seeds in any chests? I've found none. Every single chest seems to have the same things - few pieces of iron, a saddle, some wheat, string and usually a bucket. I'd like to get a pumpkin farm going especially, but seems like I've just gotta cross my fingers I find some seeds.
Yeah, I found some of both in an abondoned mineshaft. I found 5 chests within the entire structure, 4 of which contained those seeds. If you discover one and see gravel blocking your path, dig thru, knowing this x2 the size of my shaft (lulz)
Most if this info I got from the minecraft wiki, the PC version stuff mostly applies to the Xbox version.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I found some of both in an abondoned mineshaft. I found 5 chests within the entire structure, 4 of which contained those seeds. If you discover one and see gravel blocking your path, dig thru, knowing this x2 the size of my shaft (lulz)
Most if this info I got from the minecraft wiki, the PC version stuff mostly applies to the Xbox version.

Finally found an abandoned mineshaft myself with some pumpkin seeds. Yay. :)

Also meant discovering cave spiders for the first time. Damn they suck! The mineshaft is way across the map so I've gotta go back to explore the rest of it(barely got down in there, after finding the chest, my inventory was full). Hopefully some melon seeds, too.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Finally found an abandoned mineshaft myself with some pumpkin seeds. Yay. :)

Also meant discovering cave spiders for the first time. Damn they suck! The mineshaft is way across the map so I've gotta go back to explore the rest of it(barely got down in there, after finding the chest, my inventory was full). Hopefully some melon seeds, too.
Don't forget to use your shears on those webs, since getting cotton is such a bitch now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Don't forget to use your shears on those webs, since getting cotton is such a bitch now.

Good advice. I'm actually up to like 80 pieces of wool now, but thats still nothing compared to what I need for some things I'd like to do. Hopefully a bug fix is coming soon that will address this, cuz there's no way this is how they intended it to be. I haven't seen a single sheep in like a week.

Seanspeed

Banned
Update is out with some nice additions and fixes:

http://www.examiner.com/article/min...-update-6-out-skin-changes-for-halloween-pack

EDIT: Dont want to quadruple post and dont really care if this gets bumped so yea, but anyways, just wanted to say that the friendly mop spawning is sooo much better now. There's almost too many animals about, really. I only played for about 20 minutes, but I found like 10 sheep and got about 25 wool, which is probably about 20% of what I've found the past maybe 30-40 hours of playing.

Chest sounds went from overly loud to overly quiet, too.

Top Bottom