• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Seanspeed

Banned
Didn't think anybody still cared about this on here! lol

For people still paying attention, some announcements on the upcoming update(s):

1.0.1 will include animal breeding, potions, experience points, enchanting, mushroom biome addition, nether fortresses, a new tutorial world, village NPC's, mooshrooms, blaze, snow golems and magma cubes.

Enchanting system will be the new one, not the old one(not entirely sure what this means, but I suppose it'll make sense for PC players).

Ocelots, jungle biomes and iron golems will not be included in this update, but are planned for later on. The End will also not be included in 1.0.1 with no word on inclusion in future updates.

No released date is set for the update.

And finally, a Festive Skin pack will be released Dec.19th for 80 points.

Seanspeed

Banned
If only the world sizes were larger.
They've confirmed they're looking into it. ;) Fingers crossed on that, cuz I agree, larger maps would go a huge ways into making the game better, with longer replay value.

Other revelations about the future of Minecraft XBLA:

- They've begun work on including texture packs!
- They are looking at mods and custom maps for inspiration on future DLC
- No crafting ala PC version.
- There will be more music discs at some point
- Discussing rental servers
- Small possibility of user-created skins
- Possibility of photo sharing on Twitter

Next update has me really excited!
My friends stopped playing because the lack of animal breeding made hunger kinda annoying.

Can't wait! Any ETA?

So I cracked and bought SKin Pack 1. I love running around as pixel chief
Haha I bought it for that skin too :p

Vlad

Enchanting system will be the new one, not the old one(not entirely sure what this means, but I suppose it'll make sense for PC players).

For those who want more info on this one, here's a bit of a rundown on how it was/is in the PC version:

Originally, you got experience points for killing monsters, and you gained levels that could eventually be used to enchant tools, weapons, and armor. You enchanted stuff by making an enchanting table using obsidian, diamond, and a book, then placing it in the world. Once it was down, you could spend your levels to add random enchantments to a valid item. You got three options for enchantments, but you only knew the level cost going in, not what the enchantment would be. So say you've got five levels to spend. You drop a diamond sword in the enchantment table and the game gives you the option of spending one, three, or five levels (these are chosen randomly every time you put the item on the table), but you have no indication of what you'll get for your levels. Spending more levels does give you a better chance for better enchantments, though.

Different types of items can also get different enchantments. For example, swords can get stuff like Sharpness (increase in base damage), Smite (extra damage vs undead), or Knockback (pushes enemies back more when you hit them) while a pickaxe can get things like Efficiency (mines faster) or Silk Touch (gives you the actual block instead of something else, like a grass block, ice block, or the coal ore block instead of the coal item).

With that in mind, the original system did have some problems, mainly that it took forever to get high-level enchantments. The maximum level for enchanting anything was 50, but since the level progression isn't linear (higher levels take more points to get), actually getting a level 50 enchantment without grinding like crazy took way too long. They changed the experience system in a recent update by lowering the level cap for maximum enchantments to 30, and giving far more sources for experience. Currently in the PC version, you can get experience points for breeding animals, mining certain items, and using furnaces (even smelting stone gives you a little experience), meaning that while it still takes some time to get to level 30, it's not as insurmountable of an obstacle as it was before they overhauled the system.

Started playing this with my bro and another friend tonight. Started up a new world on Hard difficulty to give things a bit of a kick. There was an abandoned mine right under the spot we chose for our first dwelling. We found slime guys. SLIME! Large slime! It's taken so long in previous files to find even one. So that was an immediate plus.

Encountering Endermen is really cool and they're creepy but in a good way. Wearing a pumpkin means you can look them in the eye without aggroing them, right?

Our first place was in a swamp. We found a village in a desert which bordered on a small snowy piece of land. After wondering why we'd only seen lots of trees and no hills or anything, we found a nicely sized island with seriously tall peaks. It's surrounded by a large body of water.

The game's fun again. The hunger system is pretty cool. Now that animals flee, I've found the need to have a sword to kill them with to be far greater. All that new food is cool too.

Roll on future updates!

Mastperf

Yep, update is 7MB and ready to dl.
The new update is stored permanently under the Minecraft section on the hard drive rather than in the cache.

Seanspeed

Banned
They changed the travel of the sun/moon from N->S to E->W. Which kinda messes me up a little bit since I designed my house around being able to see the sun/moon rise and set! lol

Looks like they reverted to the more sparse animal spawning again I guess since there's breeding now. Haven't seen anything except some squid. I've left space for a barn, so I'll probably start on that soon.

Also, each time you switch items in your toolbar, the name of the item pops up on screen. Not really a fan of this as it seems a bit unnecessary for anybody except beginners. Doesn't seem like there's any way of turning it off right now, but hopefully in the future they put an option for it in.

Haven't even touched most of the new additions yet, though. I'll probably look some stuff up to see what I'm doing.

Volimar

How in the blazes do I get a blaze rod?

Edit - nvm, looks like I'm in for a trip to the nether...

Edit 2 - Erm, it seems that if you went into the nether on your world before the update, it probably won't spawn a nether fortress.

Seanspeed

Banned
How in the blazes do I get a blaze rod?

Edit - nvm, looks like I'm in for a trip to the nether...

Edit 2 - Erm, it seems that if you went into the nether on your world before the update, it probably won't spawn a nether fortress.

It might not even matter if you've been there or not. Could be wrong, but I dont think you'd have them on pre-patch worlds.

I'm probably gonna stick to my current world as I've got a bunch of projects going on now. Making potions doesn't seem useful enough for me to need a Nether Fortress and the mushroom biome isn't anything too noteworthy, either. Maybe when they include the jungle biome, I'll start a new map.

Spent a bit more time with the update - you can turn off the on-screen labeling of items by turning off hints. Didn't realize that before.

When you mine stairs, you actually get stairs back now. Really nice.

Enemies seem to have more health. Takes 3 fully charged arrows to kill enemies now instead of just two. Which makes creepers more dangerous in tight spaces.

clockpunk

Now this is a wonderful update - enjoying exploring the new tutorial area as well!

I do so hope the emerald trading, different wood types, new foods (carrots, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc), and (most important of all - as I have requested since day one) the newly-added fireworks, all make an appearance before too long! If/when those make the cut, that will be most happy indeed.

4J Studios have surpassed themselves in the care and attention they have put into this game - MicroSaoft would be very smart to let them keep on doing their stuff, without charging.

If only another batch of achievements could be added - would really like to see one for finding all the hidden music discs in the tutprial world, for example... something to reward exploration and curiosity.

Hopefully this will promt people to engage with the title once more - the dynamic is really changed now - in a most agreeable manner!

Seanspeed

Banned
There's some pretty bad bugs needing fixing. I think the most annoying one for me so far is the animals despawning. I was excited about breeding, traveled a fair ways to find 2 sheep to breed, worked up to 6 sheep but then they started disappearing one-by-one. So it seems that breeding in general is a bit of a useless feature until they fix that.

I've also been unable to sleep at night on a few occasions, which kind of sucks when I'm trying to get back outside to work on some stuff but instead have to find something to do in my house til dawn arrives.

Finally got a proper mine going now, and am in the process of digging an underground tunnel at the block height 12 and connecting to a couple other points on the map far away for easy travel.

Also, there's the Minecraft movie being aired on XboxLive 8PM tomorrow(Saturday) night. Looks pretty good.

I've also been unable to sleep at night on a few occasions, which kind of sucks when I'm trying to get back outside to work on some stuff but instead have to find something to do in my house til dawn arrives.
You mean you couldn't get into your bed? I has that happen to me, pretty annoying.

Taffer

What's the problem you guys have with the bed? It tells you there's monsters outside?

It's a new one since the last update, occasionally you can't interact with the bed at all at night. There's not even a tooltip when you look at it as if the bed's not there.

Having some really bad issues with blocks reappearing after destroying them. It will literally happen consistently, like the game is having fun messing with me. It makes it unplayable since destroying blocks is a huge part of the gameplay :(.

I looked it up and the only guess is lag, but I have a 50mbps down and 5mbps up connection, and it even happens to me in single-player, so that's not it. I cleared my xbox hd cache too, but to no avail.

I love this game but wtf at this experience-ruining bug.

edit: And I've had the bed problem too. Half of the bed sometimes disappears and I can't sleep in it.

Tunavi

Banned
Having some really bad issues with blocks reappearing after destroying them. It will literally happen consistently, like the game is having fun messing with me. It makes it unplayable since destroying blocks is a huge part of the gameplay :(.

I looked it up and the only guess is lag, but I have a 50mbps down and 5mbps up connection, and it even happens to me in single-player, so that's not it. I cleared my xbox hd cache too, but to no avail.

edit: And I've had the bed problem too. Half of the bed sometimes disappears and I can't sleep in it.
The netcode is horrible.

Do you farm a lot of animals nearby?

I gave up farming after I had far too many mobs on screen at once. It was causing too many problems.

Henke

I haven't a clue what they do on the PC version unfortunately. I broke my Minecraft virginity on the Xbox version. I do know that they don't fight back when you murder them to commandeer their homes though. ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
You can trade with them using emeralds as currency.

Personally I'd rather they not be there. Not sure what there is worth buying you cant get yourself and I enjoy the lonesome experience. I treat my game as if I'm living in I Am Legend, kinda.

Henke

I agree actually. As it is they add nothing other than being weirdos that stand and watch me punch their houses. I liked the abandoned buildings more - added an air of mystery to everything.

Looking for suggestions for seeds that provide a lot of land mass, especially some nice flat areas. I'm looking to jump into a new world with the latest patches and build some large structures in survival. Last few I've tried have been so water-heavy. With the world size limitation, it just sometimes feels like there's not much virgin land to exploit.

Volimar

Okay, so technically, I got Minecraft for my nephew for Christmas. But it's on my 360, so we started a seed together. It's been a lot of fun. Yesterday we found a stronghold for the first time. It had a silverfish mob spawner in it and geez are those things a pain in the butt. He also built a castle in the sky and I thin soon we'll work on getting rail service to the castle. Thankfully I've found tons of gold ore.

Also, you guys should check out Achievement Hunter's Minecraft Let's Plays on youtube. It's the guys that do red vs blue and they're funny as hell.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I really wish they could find a way to update some of the new stuff into existing worlds. Maybe just make the world bigger.

I've put too much time into my first one to ever start again.

I really wish they could find a way to update some of the new stuff into existing worlds. Maybe just make the world bigger.

Feeling this. I haven't even done all that much in my last world but it just feels like ... Home. Sounds dumb I know. Just this week I started thinking I wanted to get back in but I haven't found a good seed yet and it just feels like starting over, which I guess it is, lol.

When is the next patch due?

blamite

This reminds me; now that Strongholds and Eyes of Ender are in the game, are there also End Portals, even though they don't actually go anywhere yet? It'd be nice to be able to make a world now and have the End accessible when it's added.

Seanspeed

Banned
This reminds me; now that Strongholds and Eyes of Ender are in the game, are there also End Portals, even though they don't actually go anywhere yet? It'd be nice to be able to make a world now and have the End accessible when it's added.
No, not yet. Should be included in next update, though.

I'm new to the game, anyone wanna play? Hit me a message: GT: gap9455
My GT is Seanspeed. If you ever need some help or something, feel free to give me a shout if I'm playing. I'd recommend soloing it for a little while just to learn the basics of the game, though. Half the fun is really learning about the world on your own a bit.

Ok...my son loves this game, and wants to play online with someone.

Anyone have a pre-teen or teenager that would be willing to play with my son? He uses my GT, as he doesnt have a Live account.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested!

Top Bottom