• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm looking forward to starting new with a somewhat decent idea of what I'm doing now. Everything I did in my current world is very 'rough'. It was fun learning about everything and being somewhat clueless and I'll always keep my current world around, but it'll be nice starting out with different goals in mind and lots of new things added to keep it fresh.

Itching for the update now, though.
Yeah but I have a ton of big projects I built that I don't want to lose. :lol

I suppose I could always rebuild them in a new world.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah but I have a ton of big projects I built that I don't want to lose. :lol

I suppose I could always rebuild them in a new world.

You dont have to delete that world or anything. I still plan on revisiting my current world at times, considering the setup I've made for myself there.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh crap. I didn't realize you could go into an existing world in Creative Mode anytime you want. I thought it was an either/or situation. Thats pretty awesome. Pretty sure I'll keep my Survival and Creative worlds seperate, but its nice knowing I've got a choice.

Vlad

Oh for real? Nice. I hated having to take up 3-4 inventory slots for food if I was out exploring.

The food/health system got a huge overhaul in this update, so being able to stack stuff was an absolute necessity. I am curious to hear what the Xbox players eventually think about the change.

I loaded up the new tutorial and I really like the changes so far. Lots of small improvements that make the overall game look and sound better, such as the sound of the chests opening/closing or when the creepers explode. Between this, BL2 dlc, Happy Wars, Fifa 13.. well who needs to sleep anyway.

Double D

My kid plays this. I've never really touched it. He's asking me how to fly now that the new update is out. Searching around, it says press A twice but that doesn't seem to work. Can anyone help me out?

STG

My kid plays this. I've never really touched it. He's asking me how to fly now that the new update is out. Searching around, it says press A twice but that doesn't seem to work. Can anyone help me out?

tap A twice fast, it works

in fly mode:

dpad is for slowly moving up/down/left/right

pressing the right stick in will move you down fast (if I remember correctly)

and A is for moving up

Double D

I'm jamming on A as fast as I can and it's not doing anything but jumping super fast. How can I tell if he is actually in Creative mode? He's insisting that he is, but I have no idea what's going on.

I'm jamming on A as fast as I can and it's not doing anything but jumping super fast. How can I tell if he is actually in Creative mode? He's insisting that he is, but I have no idea what's going on.

Quit out of the map and reload it, you should be able to choose which mode.

Double D

Quit out of the map and reload it, you should be able to choose which mode.

K I did that I'm flying. I'm guessing he wasn't in creative mode. So seeds, I'm guessing this is like people's worlds they have created? If this is true, and cool ones that he might enjoy? He's not so much into the bad guys, more exploration and big structures.

Seanspeed

Banned
So seeds, I'm guessing this is like people's worlds they have created? If this is true, and cool ones that he might enjoy? He's not so much into the bad guys, more exploration and big structures.
Seeds aren't people's worlds, but kind of an algorithm sort of thing for the automatic world generation.

Wiggum2007

Update fucked up all the chests in my old game, now they are all black and facing North-South (or East-West, not sure which), sometimes phasing through walls.

K I did that I'm flying. I'm guessing he wasn't in creative mode. So seeds, I'm guessing this is like people's worlds they have created? If this is true, and cool ones that he might enjoy? He's not so much into the bad guys, more exploration and big structures.

I like 'Elfen Lied' a lot, haven't tried it since the update tho. Make sure you use capital letters, case does matter with world seeds.

Oh and 'gargamel' is awesome as well

Wiggum2007

Any cool seeds to try with this update?

Yeah my last seed had zero snow so I'd like to go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and find a world dominated by snow.

I like 'Elfen Lied' a lot, haven't tried it since the update tho. Make sure you use capital letters, case does matter with world seeds.

Oh and 'gargamel' is awesome as well

Those seeds will have changed after this update.

RangerX said:
Put/remove a torch near them and they won't be black anymore

Cool, still have to rearrange most of them though since they're facing the wrong direction. No biggie though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Started a new world and got a couple hours of playtime in.

First impressions:

- Quick move for armor/furnace items is fantastic and a time-saver.
- New sounds are great. Jumped out of my seat when a Creeper blew up behind me, killing me instantly. Chest opening is a little loud, though.
- Sprint is another huge time-saver. Gotta be careful with it right now since I dont have a ton of food, though. But it allows me to stray farther away from home.
- I like the hunger addition so far. Stackable food is just so convenient. I haven't spent much time spelunking in caves or anything, so maybe things can get a bit strenuous(or tedious), but I think it'll be ok.
- New sunset looks good.

One thing I'm not sure about is the animals. There's hardly any around and the game doesn't seem to spawn new ones. They haven't put breeding into the game, so how am I supposed to collect things like wool or feathers in any reasonable number? These items used to be easy to get but now they're a rarity and I absolutely need feathers for creating arrows. Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I cant go down in caves fighting enemies without a fair amount of arrows, ya know? Am I just missing something or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with?

Started a new world and got a couple hours of playtime in.

First impressions:

- Quick move for armor/furnace items is fantastic and a time-saver.
- New sounds are great. Jumped out of my seat when a Creeper blew up behind me, killing me instantly. Chest opening is a little loud, though.
- Sprint is another huge time-saver. Gotta be careful with it right now since I dont have a ton of food, though. But it allows me to stray farther away from home.
- I like the hunger addition so far. Stackable food is just so convenient. I haven't spent much time spelunking in caves or anything, so maybe things can get a bit strenuous(or tedious), but I think it'll be ok.
- New sunset looks good.

One thing I'm not sure about is the animals. There's hardly any around and the game doesn't seem to spawn new ones. They haven't put breeding into the game, so how am I supposed to collect things like wool or feathers in any reasonable number? These items used to be easy to get but now they're a rarity and I absolutely need feathers for creating arrows. Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I cant go down in caves fighting enemies without a fair amount of arrows, ya know? Am I just missing something or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with?

I was so disappointed to find out that there was no breeding yet.
That is an absolute necessity with hunger.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was so disappointed to find out that there was no breeding yet.
That is an absolute necessity with hunger.
So there's absolutely no way to get more chickens? I've seen like maybe 6 of them in the world. Once I've killed them all, I'm simply going to be unable to create anymore arrows?

At least before, dead zombies would drop feathers too, but now they just drop rotten flesh. So ZERO ways to get feathers other than chickens now and they're super-limited in the world. Great.....

Found two strongholds. No portals generated. Has anyone found one with portals?

If not, looks like remaking the worlds will be needed yet again with the next update.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Is lighting not meant to work very well deep under ground? Can see for about 5 metres despite there being a million torches.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is lighting not meant to work very well deep under ground? Can see for about 5 metres despite there being a million torches.
Lighting typically works for about 6 blocks in pitch black I think.

Anyways, I'm really at a loss about the lack of animals. I see they do spawn, but its very rare. Didn't see a chicken at all today, but found a couple sheep, so I can finally make another bed! Up to about 50 arrows now after waiting for skeletons to burn alive in the morning, so perhaps soon I'll actually be able to cave dive. Until then, I'm building. Got a nice new house built that simply needs furnishing and detail touches.

Oh, and I dont know how I ever lived without the Sprint ability. So nice.

Found two strongholds. No portals generated. Has anyone found one with portals?

If not, looks like remaking the worlds will be needed yet again with the next update.

Nether portals? I wouldn't create a new world for something I can build myself relatively easily.

Keldor

Cows, chickens, and sheep are also scarce in my worlds but wolves are everywhere.

So do the animals respawn after you've killed them all or is there a set amount and that's it?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I started a new world, killed a single sheep and now can't find any. Looked everywhere. Just billions of wolves.

This update is dodgy..

Seanspeed

Banned
Cows, chickens, and sheep are also scarce in my worlds but wolves are everywhere.

So do the animals respawn after you've killed them all or is there a set amount and that's it?

I've seen a few animals spawn, but I'm not sure how the game handles it. Seems to be in random spurts, but there might be some logic to it.

As for wolves, I haven't seen a single one in mine. I'm mainly concerned about lack of sheep(I want some wool!) and chickens.

Will I have to start a new world to see any of the changes or can melons, apples and the new mobs be found on existing worlds?

Weird, I went into Creative Mode on a pre-update map. I found my old house. I flew around, having a laugh. Then I discover that things break in a single hit. I keep digging down through a mountain and I find a stronghold! I was quite surprised. It was in previously unexplored areas of my map. I think the update affected what loaded because there were sections loading oddly. Like high mountains with a line as if they were cut through.

Seanspeed

Banned
Weird, I went into Creative Mode on a pre-update map. I found my old house. I flew around, having a laugh. Then I discover that things break in a single hit. I keep digging down through a mountain and I find a stronghold! I was quite surprised. It was in previously unexplored areas of my map. I think the update affected what loaded because there were sections loading oddly. Like high mountains with a line as if they were cut through.
That is weird. Huh. Did you find out the answer to your question about the food/mob additions in your old world? I was curious to know the answer to that as well, though I suppose later I could just test it out myself pretty easily.

Spent some time in Creative mode finally, too. Its pretty cool. Learned very quickly you need to load a Superflat world in Peaceful mode, though! Slimes everywhere! I think I'll be using Creative mainly for testing out things before I commit to them in my Survival game.

With the animal problem I had before, I've been seeing more lately. Saw quite a few chickens, which was nice. And at one point, I had 8 pigs on the screen which is 8x more than I had seen at one time before. Definitely seems random, its just very slow to spawn them. I hope this is the case, at least. I wandered away a fair while and found a sheep I had sheared, so they definitely dont despawn. I'm just hoping all the new animals I'm seeing haven't just wandered to my area and I'm killing off everything in the world.

My understanding is that the map generation algorithms changed in 1.8, so if you wandered into an unexplored chunk, you'd have the weird border between them with the sheer wall and everything. This kept happening for a few versions, but I think finally stopped happening in a Final revision (1.2/1.3 or something?)

Seanspeed

Banned
Anybody know of any mob grinders that work for the Xbox version that kills both regular mobs AND spiders? Its important that it gets spiders, too. I spent some time learning about how to build this one mob grinder only to find out at the end it wont kill spiders, which was an annoying waste of time. I need the string to make wool.

EDIT: Ok, think I've found one. I'll take suggestions still. Simpler is better.

Seep

Something really strange has happened to my Xbox Minecraft, the screen goes pitch black once I select play and I can't look round as player 1 no matter which stick I use, player 2 is completely fine. Also the big minecraft logo from the main menu screen is still visible on the game screen blocking my view. WTF?

Top Bottom