• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

Robbie Collin said:
His 18th film may not be an original Burton creation, but the fact it’s been adapted from a young adult novel that was described on its release as “Tim Burton-esque” suggests that the director’s creative wanderings have become a perpetual, air-conditioned traipse around the Pop Gothic Discount Barn, without a breath of risk to ruffle the routine.

This is a pity, because cinema-goers seem ready to love another Burton film. (I know I am.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children-tim-burton-review/ (2/5)

Geoffrey Macnab said:
Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children isn’t his masterpiece but it will give audiences exactly what they expect from a Burton movie: Gothic flights of fantasy, ironic humour, juvenile whimsy and as much pathos as you will find anywhere this side of Charles Dickens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ou-want-from-a-tim-burton-movie-a7336906.html (4/5)

Peter Travers said:
Just go with the spell Burton casts with the help of screenwriter Jane Goldman (Stardust). Yes, the film feels overstuffed and way too familiar, with Burton repeating tricks from his greatest hits (think Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands). And the fun runs out much before the film ends. But stick with it just for those times when Burton flies high on his own peculiar genius.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...me-for-peculiar-children-movie-review-w441940 (2.5/4)

Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/miss_peregrines_home_for_peculiar_children/ (At time of posting 59% overall, 54% from top critics)

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935859/

Blue Lou

I saw it earlier tonight. I think the reviews are fair. It was pretty average. The
eyeballs montage scene
was a highlight - very Burtonesque.

Blizzard

Banned
I watched it last night. It was surprisingly decent, and I think if you like Burton-style stuff you will enjoy it. It's not for young children though.

Some bad stuff:
  • At over 2 hours it dragged a bit in the 3rd quarter.
  • The villain plot wasn't terribly compelling to me.
  • The movie seems a bit torn between kid-friendly (main character being dumb and explaining everything for the audience, non-threatening villain) and adult-oriented (some REALLY gruesome scenes).

Some good stuff:
  • Good soundtrack (there was an awesome random techno song).
  • Great visuals, creepy and imaginative.
  • Miss Peregrine's actress was great.
  • Interactions between the characters were fun.

Some MAJOR SPOILER STUFF:
I loved the techno skeleton scene, which was totally unexpected. I liked the song the first time they went through that area, but it was short. And then a full scene happened and it was glorious.

I could see someone guessing the birdwatcher as evil, sure. But I didn't expect the psychiatrist ALSO to be evil.

The twins finally using their peculiarity was neat.

The random German bombing scene with the old song and the unnecessary gas masks (later they don't use masks and everyone is fine) was cool.

Overall, 7/10 for me.

Qvoth

just watched it, decent 7/10 from me
i got a question that's boggling my mind
how do they enter the january 11th 2016 timeloop from 1943? the loop shouldn't have existed then since i'm assuming it's made on that date

Juicy Bob

It's OK. Enjoyable. Cast are endearing. Miss Peregrine is super likeable and beautiful. Samuel L. Jackson is great. It's just too long.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's Burton so I expect a mediocrity fest. But Eva Green made me watch even 300, ugh, I don't know

I want Tim to make another "Big Fish" -like movie. I like that it was grounded in reality, but the stories eccentuated and exaggerated by Tim's signature style. Otherwise I'm tired of his films.

MGrant

Saw it tonight. Extremely bland and silly, and probably about an hour too long. There were some good ideas, but overall I was bored by it. Seems like a cash grab.

duckroll

I enjoyed it. It's an entertaining kinda oldschool-ish Burton film where it feels like a kid's fairy tale except filled with inappropriate dark creepy stuff that's clearly targeted at older people. Not really that different from Beetlejuice or Nightmare Before Christmas. I thought the casting and set design was fantastic. The only two issues I have with the film is that it feels really ordinary for such an extraordinary setting, and that it trivializes WW2 and the horror of Nazism by using it as a lame plot subversion. Kids learning that human beings can be worse than monsters and that the horrors of war are worst than the horrors in fantasy is the right message. Kids learning that the horrors of war and the horror of Nazi Germany are in fact secondary and somewhat trivial compared to the "real" horror of a secret fantasy world humanity doesn't know about, is.... not a good message of any sort. :p

Jawmuncher

Saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. Mainly liked how despite the pg13 rating, it still felt like a kids movie even with the darker imagery. It really reminded me of the old PG movies that kids would watch when pg13 wasn't established.

old

Does Eva Green get naked in this one? It's gotta be in all her contracts.

Spoiler: she does not. Kinda given away by the PG-13 rating.

While I enjoyed movie on the whole, I was a bit disappointed with how little Eva Green's screen time was. Despite being the title character, she's really almost just a supporting character at best here.

Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed the whimsy/darkness of the film despite its flaws (rushed ending, one or two plot holes, bland protagonist, etc.). Otherwise, solid 7/10 movie.

game-boi

It's pretty good in terms of "modern" Burton films. At the end of the day, it's still a pitch for a franchise and I think that this movie suffers because of it. The look of the film is great, but the story never comes together. Also, this movie doesn't deserve it's runtime. It's at least 15-20 minutes too long. A more aggressive edit could have helped reduce the bloat and keep focus.

Great first act, meandering second act, visually great but silly third act. It's X-men for weird kids.

LOOOOL, I thought those Florida scenes looked familiar. They filmed both in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, which have relatively close resemblance to the movie's aesthetic.
It also feels like Burton used the same locations from Edward Scissorhands, but with less color.

That's probably why
Jake stayed in the 40s, to leave Florida forever.

The movie was a 6-7/10 overall.

Blizzard

Banned
LOOOOL, I thought those Florida scenes looked familiar. They filmed both in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, which have relatively close resemblance to the movie's aesthetic.
It also feels like Burton used the same locations from Edward Scissorhands, but with less color.

That's probably why
Jake stayed in the 40s, to leave Florida forever.

The movie was a 6-7/10 overall.
Jackson's character:
Three weeks -- in Florida! Have you ever BEEN to Florida?!

It's about a 6 or a 7 for me, and if the latter, a very soft seven. While it had some decent visuals, they felt weaker than Trump's typical fair - all except for the skeletons and the fighting baby bots, those were cool. The cast, especially Butterfield, felt a little stilted, and in Butterfield's case, this can't be attributed to being a newer actor like it can with the other kids. I didn't like Jackson's performance - it was cheesy fun, but it took me out of the movie, what with constantly shifting tones.

Blizzard

Banned
It's about a 6 or a 7 for me, and if the latter, a very soft seven. While it had some decent visuals, they felt weaker than Trump's typical fair - all except for the skeletons and the fighting baby bots, those were cool. The cast, especially Butterfield, felt a little stilted, and in Butterfield's case, this can't be attributed to being a newer actor like it can with the other kids. I didn't like Jackson's performance - it was cheesy fun, but it took me out of the movie, what with constantly shifting tones.
Please tell me he's not connected to this movie. :p

I like all the 6 / 7 comments because it's 64% / 66% on Rottentomatoes. That seems accurate.

I thought the movie was mostly pretty bad. Good cast undone by shoddy editing and the feeling that they rushed through a larger story to get under a studio-imposed time limit.

Everytime they brought up his Grandpa, it was like, "oh, yeah. That guy exists."
It made the choice the lead made lack any sort of conflict. There were a lot of scenes that were clear "check the box" material. The opening grocery store scene was one. "Oh, some kids were mean to him, I guess I'm supposed to like this character."

Got Trump in the mind, eh? He's dominating your thoughts.

Asa Butterfield (Hope I got that surname right) is one bad actor now Im thinking about it. Or least, he was terrible in this. The kids in the home were far more interesting.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I saw it yesterday and really liked it. My favourite Tim Burton movie so far.

Razmos

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Just kid friendly enough to be a good fun romp, but surprisingly dark enough to satisfy the horror fan in me. The time travel was a whole bunch of what and probably would go over the heads of most kids watching (even I'm not quite sure what was going on with the loops at the end)

Davey Cakes

I didn't care for it after the initial buildup. It just got more and more bonkers and the children's "peculiarities" weren't interesting. The whole "filing up a sunken cruise ship with air" thing was stupid, even.

The villains were horrible too and the climax was inane.

Just a big meh. I felt the same about the Alice in Wonderland movies. Burton is not impressive.

The Eva Green eye candy was the best part.

jett

D-Member
I thought this shit was complete nonsense. The "lore",the loops, the time travelling, character actions and decisions, none of it made any sense to me on any level whatsoever.

Tim Burton has become such as a has-been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom