• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mitchell Report Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Not Todd Pratt! I'll always remember him tackling Ventura on the Grand Slam against the Braves. Now I know he was really acting out from 'roid rage.

Gaborn

Is there some weird voice speaking spanish that just broke in to the audio of the press conference? or was that just me? for about 15 seconds

No wonder Gary Matthews Jr. made the catch of the year a couple years ago.

0704ks3.jpg

Iceman

I am pleased that Albert Belle and Varitek weren't mentioned but really disappointed in Matt Williams. Matt, matt, matt.

Holy crap the Marlins are mentioned a ton of times, "virtually every player on the Marlins was 'doing something' ranging from steroids and greenies, to marijuana, etc."

BTW it was from 1998 thru 2001, so the WS win is not a part of that.

Karakand

Stoney Mason said:
Well I meant will but I think they will have to. You can't just pretend an era didn't exist. I think eventually the voters will come to that same conclusion.
The nice thing about the hall is that they have the ability to frame the issue though. I don't have a problem with some of these guys going in with an explanation about the current era. You shouldn't sanitize history, nor should you try and deny it.

Ronabo

Hal Morris?!?

His steroids must have been defective. he was always a skinny dude that never had much power.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
David Justice?
David Justice
David Justice played as an outfielder for four teams in Major League Baseball
from 1989 to 2002, the Atlanta Braves (8 seasons), Cleveland Indians (4 seasons), New York Yankees (2 seasons), and Oakland Athletics (1 season). He was the Rookie of the Year in the National League in 1990 and was the Most Valuable Player in the American League Championship Series in 2000. He was named to three All-Star teams.

Radomski said he made one sale to Justice, which occurred after the 2000 World
Series. Justice played for the Yankees that year. Justice paid Radomski by check for two or
three kits of human growth hormone. Radomski said that he cashed this check.
Brian McNamee recalled that Justice asked him about human growth hormone in
2000 or 2001, while McNamee and Justice were both with the Yankees. According to
McNamee, Justice admitted in this conversation that he had obtained human growth hormone from Radomski.

We interviewed David Justice before we had knowledge of the Radomski and
McNamee allegations. Justice denied using performance enhancing substances himself, but he provided the names of many players who, he suspected, had used steroids. He emphasized, however, that he did not have direct knowledge of any use by these players. He stated that he had had “thousands” of conversations about possible steroid use in baseball.
What a complete shithead.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I feel really bad for these guys. Even though I'm not a pro athlete, I'm going to go off the vitamins and B12 shots for a while so that nothing like this ever happens to me b/c it's just plain unfair.

AstroLad said:
I feel really bad for these guys. Even though I'm not a pro athlete, I'm going to go off the vitamins and B12 shots for a while so that nothing like this ever happens to me b/c it's just plain unfair.

It's unfair to get caught for using illegal drugs for the purpose of cheating?

pxleyes said:
Marvin Benard
Barry Bonds
Bobby Estalella
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Benito Santiago
Gary Sheffield
Randy Velarde
Lenny Dykstra
David Segui
Larry Bigbie
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Roger Clemens
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Gregg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Todd Pratt
Kevin Young
Mike Lansing
Cody McKay
Kent Mercker
Adam Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christiansen
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagné
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett, Jr.
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Howie Clark
Nook Logan
Rick Ankiel
David Bell
Paul Byrd
Jose Canseco
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jason Grimsley
Jose Guillen
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Darren Holmes
Gary Matthews, Jr.
John Rocker
Scott Schoeneweis
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Steve Woodard

List I compiled from the report.

No McGwire?

The Dodgers come out like some ultimate steroids drug ring in this report, wow. I am going to read the Clemens section now, should be fun.

methodman

Banned
Only one red sox player on the list? Kinda suspicious if you ask me... (Mitchell is on the board of Directors for the Red Sox)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
MiamiWesker said:
The Dodgers come out like some ultimate steroids drug ring in this report, wow. I am going to read the Clemens section now, should be fun.

Lo Duca seems like he was a hell of a PR guy for the steroids industry. Everywhere he went he was preaching the virtues of steroids and HGH.

Gaborn

methodman said:
Only one red sox player on the list? Kinda suspicious if you ask me... (Mitchell is on the board of Directors for the Red Sox)

Are they the only team with one player listed? It seems you're arguing bias based on some preferential treatment of the Red Sox, but is any other team getting that similar "preference"?

methodman

Banned
Gaborn said:
Are they the only team with one player listed?

I don't know yet, haven't really looked, but it is pretty suspicious when they've had so many players go through their team in the last couple of years and Mo Vaughn is the only one who took steroids?

edit: I don't really care that it's the Red Sox, it's just weird that this dude works for the MLB in the fashion of being a Director for a team, but is conducting a report for the league. He's the same dude saying they should have a private company run the tests, but he's from in the league? Just seems weird. I don't really care if the Red Sox have any players or don't, I'm a giants fan man. We had like 7 players on that list lol

Tamanon

Banned
methodman said:
I don't know yet, haven't really looked, but it is pretty suspicious when they've had so many players go through their team in the last couple of years and Mo Vaughn is the only one who took steroids?

Keep in mind, this is a report based on snitching. The reason you have more Yankees is that one of the snitches WAS a yankee.

methodman

Banned
Tamanon said:
Keep in mind, this is a report based on snitching. The reason you have more Yankees is that one of the snitches WAS a yankee.

Yeah, that's true. I don't really care, just found it kinda funny the MLB would use someone from inside the league to run a report like this, but I guess that's just how they work.

Gaborn

methodman said:

edit: I don't really care that it's the Red Sox, it's just weird that this dude works for the MLB in the fashion of being a Director for a team, but is conducting a report for the league. He's the same dude saying they should have a private company run the tests, but he's from in the league? Just seems weird. I don't really care if the Red Sox have any players or don't, I'm a giants fan man. We had like 7 players on that list lol

Brendan Donnelly is also listed in the report.

dskillzhtown

dave is ok said:
Thats not the real list. That's the speculative one taken from Deadspin.com

Alot of media is running with that that "fake" list. The local radio sports jocks are slandering all kinds of people. Good to see real reporting is dead in 2007.

As far as MLB using someone on the inside to do the report, someone on the inside is the only one would get the kind of contacts to get a report that is worth a damn.

Tamanon

Banned
methodman said:
Yeah, that's true. I don't really care, just found it kinda funny the MLB would use someone from inside the league to run a report like this, but I guess that's just how they work.

I didn't think the MLB actually commissioned the report. I thought it was the Senate.

And I was wrong.

Wow Clemens case is damning as hell, its over for him. What a surprise, when is late career surge started and he one a billion Cy Young awards he was taking steroids.

No Sammy Sosa? Wow. Maybe he will get into the hall.

On the other hand, fuck this report. Mitchell's task, assigned by Darth Selig, has been to pick on individuals and blame the "steel-town", "stonewalling" union while protecting the owners from any fault. There was systemic abuse that the owners ignored while homers were flying out and they were making millions and they're hoping this reports covers their collective asses.

dskillzhtown

reggieandTFE said:

On the other hand, fuck this report. Mitchell's task, assigned by Darth Selig, has been to pick on individuals and blame the "steel-town", "stonewalling" union while protecting the owners from any fault. There was systemic abuse that the owners ignored while homers were flying out and they were making millions and they're hoping this reports covers their collective asses.

Actually the report puts blame on the players, the union, owners, and MLB. Makes it clear that everyone had a hand in keeping the "drug culture" going.

Big-E

dskillzhtown said:
Lo Duca seems like he was a hell of a PR guy for the steroids industry. Everywhere he went he was preaching the virtues of steroids and HGH.

Hes the perfect spokesperson. A career minor leaguer takes steroids and is now considered one of the better catchers in the league. Tons of young players would buy that.

AirBrian

reggieandTFE said:

Yeah, I was really surprised not to see anything about Sosa either.

dskillzhtown

AirBrian said:
Yeah, I was really surprised not to see anything about Sosa either.

With Sosa I guess there wasn't enough evidence or they didn't bust his supplier. Seems that most of the information came from suppliers who got busted. Just because someone's name is not in this report, they shouldn't be thought of as clean. Some of these players were straight idiots, writing personal checks for this stuff? Come on.

I think that the names listed is more about showing how widespread the problem was and how management knew exactly what was going on. But the sexy story is the players, so they will get most of the attention.

AstroLad said:

*throws bottle of flaxseed away*

We must stand tall and stick together.

dskillzhtown said:
Actually the report puts blame on the players, the union, owners, and MLB. Makes it clear that everyone had a hand in keeping the "drug culture" going.

OK, now that I've read a bit of it, what I said above was wrong. The report seems to blame everyone in the world short of Jimmy Carter. The MLB is trying to frame it as a personal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom