• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Online Thread - Click Here - Interested in joining Season 2? - Click Here.

• Demo is up on the Playstation Store (1595 MB)
Ian_Cummings_EA - Lead Designer: Madden '10 said:
I just wanted to post over here in case the devs read this forum...

To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth...you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

I don't want to make it look like our opinion matters more than anyone else or anything, but I did want to say - from the Madden design team - GREAT job to all those involved in making this year's game. You've set the bar extremely high for us and everyone else in this industry (which is a very good thing IMO).
Operation Sports said:
Let us just get one thing out of the way, MLB 09: The Show is the best next-gen sports game yet. It is a must-own title, and anyone who is even remotely interested in baseball should consider checking it out.
PSX Extreme said:
Yet another incredible entry into Sony's baseball sim franchise. The amount of modes to play through, the amount of options you have to sort through, the amount of depth, quality, and intricacy there is to experience is simply unrivaled not by just MLB 2K, but by any other sports game in general.
Playstation Universe said:
Much like the baseball season, fans are going to look back on this title as one of the best in recent memory. The experience it brings is rich and genuine, and -- as corny as this sounds -- it feels like you're right there in the ballpark. MLB 09: The Show will go down as a classic envisioning of American's favorite pastime
Gamespot said:
There is no room at Cooperstown for baseball games yet, but if the hallowed hall of fame ever adds such a facility, you can guarantee that MLB 09: The Show will be one of the very first inductees.
1up said:
But the reality is that this is the best baseball game that I've played in recent memory. Take this from a fan of baseball, and of videogames as a whole: buy this. Even if you just kind of like baseball (and you have a Playstation 3), pick this up -- you won't regret it. There is something here for everyone who has a connection to the sport, and I get giddy with anticipation to see what Sony can deliver for next year's iteration.
Videos:
Click For Bigger Image:

(Images from the demo using the new Screen Capture Feature)

(Official Images)

Game Features:
  • Road to the Show 3.0

Now includes interactive training, new settings, a new steal/ lead-off system, presentations and coach interactions. Interactive training will consist of a set of mini-games designed to improve a player’s ability and performance in various areas of baseball.

• Franchise Mode 2.0

Improvements include the long awaited 40-man roster! The latest Franchise Mode improvements will also offer Salary Arbitration, Waiver Transactions and September call-ups.

• Online Season Leagues

Along with improvements to the traditional Online Leagues, MLB 09 will offer major additions to Online Season Leagues! New Online Season Leagues will allow you to hold a fully functional draft and utilize a Flex Schedule, allowing players to play games ahead in the schedule.

• Training/Practice Drills

In MLB 09 users will have the ability to choose from a number of different Training/Practice drills. The drills will be of various concentrations of the game. These drills are a perfect way to polish and improve your baseball skills in The Show!

• Details & Subtleties

Details and subtleties play a huge role in legitimizing a game and helping you lose yourself in the suspension of disbelief. MLB 09 The Show sinks it’s teeth into the details with realistic stadiums and signage, wear and tear on field, dusk to night lighting transitions, stadium Jumbotron animations and even crowd atmosphere – reaching up for foul balls out of play and home runs in addition to crowd rivalries and weather appropriate clothing.

• Custom Music, Fan Yells and Chants

Using our My MLB Music feature, store all of your favorite music for play on MLB 09 The Show. Once you have your music on your PS3 hard drive, edit any of your tracks and assign a batter walk-up to all of your favorite players. Along with Custom Music, MLB 09 will also offer Custom Fan Yells and Chants. Record a yell, with your own voice, and assign it to play for the player and situation of your choice.

• Click Here For The Full Feature List

Playstation Blog Entries: (Lots of cool stuff in these. READ!)
Links:
Online Thread - Click Here - Interested in joining Season 2? - Click Here.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Online thread created,basically a thread to check interest since our two GAF leagues failed last year :(

Windu

Matrix said:
Online thread created,basically a thread to check interest since our two GAF leagues failed last year :(
k, updated. I didn't want to make it because I rarely play online anyway.

pdk27

Day 1 on the PS3 version for me. Did they make any improvements to the PSP version this year? Haven't heard anything about it. The trailer looks pretty much the same as last year. I would consider picking it up if the load times were improved.

Windu

Pre-Order Bonus from Gamestop:

144ckt1.jpg

____

I played the demo on my friends 1080p display.

I couldn't find the jaggies. What was I doing wrong?

Windu

XiaNaphryz said:
"While supplies last"? I didn't realize you can run out of online downloads. :lol
its probably as limited as the Legendary halo edition was, aka not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hm wish amazon got more preorder bonuses actually a pretty smart bonus tying in with the custom music feature.

Might as well post this here again:

I'm decent at pitching and fielding and horrible, I mean horrible at batting, I probably won't get this game due to how much I suck at batting, I'm constantly chasing balls way out of the strike zone and more often than not I'm too early when they pitch in the strike zone, when I try to adjust then I end up being too late, I've even swung on a pitch out more than once :lol

Also has it been confirmed that there'll be no league stats?

shpankey

not an idiot
I'm terrible at batting in the demo also.. but I've chalked it up to the low framerate for batting in the demo... but it's fixed in the full retail game I've heard, so I would give it a chance. Because I bat fine in The Show 08. You could also lower the difficulty to help until you get better, and then adjust it back up later.

Your description sounds like a description of my batting... but the low framerate is the cause for me, I'm sure of it... since I bat ok in 08. What scares me is people saying it's from the increased bat speed... if that's the case, I'll likely still suck in the full game. :(

If I still suck at batting like I do in the demo though, I'm with you... back to 08 I will go! No way I could deal with that for an extended period of time.

*please be the framerate, please please*

That would suck though, b/c the game would become non-friendly to the majority of gamers, at least the non-hardcore or casuals. Still don't know why they had to fuck with it... it was basically perfect. Increasing the bat speed just makes it so much harder... they could of just done that on the higher difficulty levels or something. Damn, I'm starting to worry again... I basically quit playing the demo altogether after so many games of utter frustration... and believe me, I TRIED like a motha-fucker to get better at batting. It's brutally unforgiving.

p.s. does anyone notice most of the options in the demo have no effect? for instance, when i turn the option for appeals off, they still do them. or when i turn off the ump's custom strike zone calling (forget what they call it) he still does it (calls strikes as balls and vice-versa). there's a few options that do work, some i'm not sure about and a lot that have no effect at all.

Windu

From what I have played in the demo, it seems like the bat speed is really fast this year. You have to wait on the ball more this year before you swing. Even though I still suck at hitting I think i'll get the hang of it.

Torgo

Well, I'm hoping that my Review Copy shows up today or tomorrow, although I'm not sure if there's an embargo yet. I'll post as much as I can though.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
God damn some of these trophies will take time to get:

Personal Perfection
Throw a perfect game on All-Star or higher difficulty using your RTTS player.

RttS Streaker (Batter)
Have a 50 game regular season hitting streak in Road to the Show. Simulating games in which your RttS player appears will restart the streak.

Online Legend
Win an online League (must play 60% or more games).

These ones gonna take me forever to get lol

Core407

Banned
Corran Horn said:
God damn some of these trophies will take time to get:

Personal Perfection
Throw a perfect game on All-Star or higher difficulty using your RTTS player.

RttS Streaker (Batter)
Have a 50 game regular season hitting streak in Road to the Show. Simulating games in which your RttS player appears will restart the streak.

Online Legend
Win an online League (must play 60% or more games).

These ones gonna take me forever to get lol

I'm so HYPED! :O :O :O I hope to put in more games in 09 than I did in 08 which was like 400+. 09 seems to fix so many of the issues I had with 08 which kept me from playing it even more.

AranhaHunter said:
Might as well post this here again:

I'm decent at pitching and fielding and horrible, I mean horrible at batting, I probably won't get this game due to how much I suck at batting, I'm constantly chasing balls way out of the strike zone and more often than not I'm too early when they pitch in the strike zone, when I try to adjust then I end up being too late, I've even swung on a pitch out more than once :lol

Keep in mind the two pitchers in the demo aren't exactly slouches. Kazmir's slider can look like his fastball and Hamels is just plain filthy (11-13 mph difference from fastball to change-up). Hits should be tough to come by in a sim. Maybe the demo would've been better off with #5 starters. ;)

Don't be afraid to knock the difficulty down either. You can just get a feel for reading the ball in the strikezone, proper timing and waiting for good pitches to hit. Full game has batting practice which is even better. And I've recommended this a few times, but they put together a pretty nice strategy guide in the demo to help your hitting approach. Its worth a read.

Wickerman

CHRP718 said:
that sounds great plus the free hat too :D

Did anyone receive their cap from last year's game? I tried to order one but the website never worked.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to '09.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wickerman said:
Did anyone receive their cap from last year's game? I tried to order one but the website never worked.

I got mine last year. Was wearing it last night :lol

Wickerman said:

Yep, I had mine sent to my brother who is a big Braves fan. He got it in about 6 weeks if I remember but it was a solid cap.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It's so bizarre to me that The Show is the best baseball game franchise. Just cause Sony hasn't really been known for their sports games since the original PS1 989 games.

Core407

Banned
What is the deal with the league? Are we doing one this year? I know it kind of fell apart last year but I think they fixed most of the things that killed the league last year. If we are doing a league, we should do a fantasy draft. :D

Edit: I see someone already made a thread for it.

MLB 09 League Thread

Wickerman said:

The website never worked for me either. I had completely forgotten about that, too...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I got my hat last year, I have like...3 or 4 hats from this series, lol. Even the foundation game that wasn't all there...I believe that had a free hat too. I've got a bunch of Tiger hats, and one Mariner hat.

How did I miss this thread for a whole day?!

It apparently ships to stores this week for release next Tuesday so I'm going to try and hit a few mom and pops to see if I can get my copy early. I can't wait! This and Street Fighter IV are probably all I need for the year.

Core407

Banned
DoctorWho said:
How did I miss this thread for a whole day?!

It apparently ships to stores this week for release next Tuesday so I'm going to try and hit a few mom and pops to see if I can get my copy early. I can't wait! This and Street Fighter IV are probably all I need for the year.

This game is going to totally kill any chances of me playing KillZone 2...

Windu

jman2050 said:
That is amazing holy hell. The closeup on Granderson's face in all its detail was just amazing :D
yeah it was fucking awesome. Probably my favorite video so far. Amazing that its all in game.

Core407

Banned
Has anyone else been playing the game on Legend? I'm amazed at how well I can play now compared to before on that difficulty. I used to give up homeruns every inning and now they'd be lucky to get a couple hits off me. Offense is still tough as hell but we are facing two amazing pitchers.

Top Bottom