• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 11 The Show |OT| Fear the Beard™

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
You know what? The beard was overrated anyway....glad he is gone.

mlbshow11.jpg

MLB Online Thread - Online Leagues Here.
MLB-age GAF OT - Feel Free to Join the Mayhem.
Pre-release MLB 11 The Show: Info thread

Videos

Tutorials

Info

Whats New?
NEW FEATURES IN MLB 11 THE SHOW:

¨ Pure Analog Control System (PS3) – The long awaited Pure Analog Controls for The Show have arrived, including analog controls for hitting, pitching, and throwing. Pure Hitting allows you to stride and swing using the R-stick adding a new dynamic to timing. Pure Pitching functionality is similar to the Pitch Meter when setting strength and location, but uses the R-stick requiring a bit more concentration when timing your release point. Pure Throwing uses the R-stick to make throws when on defense. When fielding the ball, simply point the stick in the direction of the base you’d like to throw towards. You can also control how hard you throw the ball by how long you hold the R-stick in the desired direction—the longer you hold it in that direction, the harder the ball will be thrown. This also allows for fake throws to keep runners honest.

¨ Co-Op Mode (Online & Offline) (PS3) – Play co-op 1 vs. 2, 2 vs. 2, or 2 vs. CPU, offline or online! In two-player Co-op mode, players are given different selectable duty sharing options. Once the user is at the selection screen, they will be able to choose up to four-player involvement with a maximum of two per team. Online Co-op mode allows a maximum of two consoles and up to four players (two per team) to play a head-to-head online game. The PlayStation®Network (PSN) account used for online game stats and record is the user logged into the XMB and PSN on each console. Users can also play an unranked co-op game with two players on two different consoles or on the same team versus the CPU.

¨ 3D Experience (PS3) – MLB 11 The Show features the most advanced stereoscopic 3D technology, available in all gameplay modes.

¨ PlayStation®Move Support (PS3) – Swing for the fences with your PlayStation Move motion controller in MLB 11 The Show, available in Home Run Derby® only.

¨ Challenge of the Week (PS3) – Challenge of the Week is a quick, fast paced, 2-3 minute, one-player, online experience, with leader boards and prizes awarded in three tiers. There will be one challenge a week and multiple monthly challenges, summing up the points awarded in the four weekly challenges and two semi-annual grand prizes. Each PSN user will get one free try a week, with each subsequent try having a small fee associated with it—think arcade machine. Prizes include authentic MLB gear signed by MLB players, like Joe Mauer, as well as ticket packages and Sony electronics.

¨ Road to The Show 5.0 (PS3) – The fifth generation of Road to The Show brings a new interactive slider set to the Create Player process, new training modes triggered by the Player Performance Evaluator, Minor League substitution logic improvements, advancement system improvements that now compare your stats versus your competition in the organization, and the new No Assist Fielding option to make the fielding experience even more realistic. With No Assist Fielding, if you don't react, the game won't do it for you! A new set of base running controls have been added, along with improvements to the existing base running system. Road to The Show also boasts improved camera angles and a full audio upgrade.

¨ Eric Karros Joins The Broadcast Booth (PS3) – MLB 11 The Show welcomes the 1992 National League Rookie of the Year and former Los Angeles Dodger first baseman, Eric Karros, to the three-man broadcast booth joining veterans Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell. Karros currently works as an MLB color commentator on the FOX network, as well as KCAL-TV in Los Angeles, where he is part of the pre-game show for Dodger games.

¨ Camera Editor (PS3) – MLB 11 The Show is pleased to introduce the Camera Editor, a brand new feature giving players the ability to customize any pitching or batting camera to your own personal specifications. You can not only view the action your own way by customizing the camera’s angle and zoom, but you can modify each pitch meter’s placement and size as well! Use over 35 presets, including all 30 MLB home broadcast views as your starting points for creating your perfect cameras.

¨ Stadium Specific Broadcast Cameras (PS3) – Want to pitch or hit from the same camera perspective you’re used to seeing while watching your favorite team play on TV? MLB 11 The Show now offers the ability to do just that. All 30 MLB teams have their home broadcast view available for batting and pitching. Use broadcast cameras specific to each stadium you play in or build a custom camera similar to your favorite team's broadcast camera and take it on the road—it's all up to you!

¨ Weather Elements and Stadium Ambiance (PS3) – MLB 11 The Show continues to bring the most true-to-life experience now including weather elements in the form of rain and dynamic cloud coverage. The rain element takes into account stadium location and can affect the on-field action and play results. Additionally, different cloud variations are included—grey, partly cloudy, or complete cloud coverage, as well as the dusk to darkness aspect of the sky. There is also new night cloud coverage and majestic sunsets. Complementing stadium ambiance are newly designed fireworks, playing after the home team hits a Home Run or wins the game.

¨ Stadium Specific Jumbotrons – Completely redesigned, stadium specific jumbotrons are now available in MLB 11 The Show. They reflect the actual look and feel of all real-life ballpark jumbotron displays. Each stadium's jumbotron board and out of town scoreboard is displayed exactly as seen in each MLB stadium.

¨ Player Performance Evaluator (PS3) – The Player Performance Evaluator is an enhanced mechanism for providing point bonus opportunities for Road to The Show players, similar to the previously used in-game dynamic goals, but with an emphasis on making each at bat, or batter faced, a critical point earning opportunity. A player’s hitting and/or pitching performance is evaluated on an at-bat by at-bat basis to determine the amount of training points awarded.

¨ User Settings (with ADVA) (PS3) – The new User Settings system has been created for MLB 11 The Show to provide a streamlined options interface that houses all game options. The system consists of four preset configurations geared towards various user experiences with the ability to create custom configurations from any of the presets. The presets are Beginner, Experienced, Expert, and A.D.V.A. The Association for Disabled Virtual Athletes (ADVA) is the first video game based online competitive sports organization designed specifically for handicapped individuals, making it possible for them to participate in the sports they love, within an environment that fits their needs. MLB 11 The Show offers a default settings option that makes the game more playable and accessible to those with disabilities. The default settings were selected based on consultation by the organization. There is also a new Online User Setting that allows you to set your gameplay style, separate from your opponent. Settings include, pitching interface, hitting interface, cameras, and more.

¨ Online League Upgrade (PS3) – Building on the foundation of the current online system, MLB 11 The Show offers improved create league functionality with flexible divisions, a new schedule creator, and the ability to use a custom roster for your league. Commissioners can also set Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) controlled teams allowing for more flexibility and have an opportunity to reset or simulate games. There is also a new commissioner role management screen allowing users to provide responsibilities to other members of your league, like resolving games, resetting games, simulating games, and more.

¨ The Show XP System (PS3) – The new online scoring system unifies your online gaming experience by making all ways to play games (league and exhibition) count towards your MLB status. Users will now gain XP status regardless of whether they win or lose. A win renders more points to the winner, but the user on the losing end will still receive 25% of the points that the game is worth. Time invested will also play a factor. No longer will you receive full points for only completing a two inning game.

¨ Player Vault – Now users can upload a single player, outside of a full roster, for others in the The Show community to download, use, and rate.

¨ Tutorial Movies (PS3) – The tutorial movies showcase and explain the new controls for five of

The Show’s latest features—Pure Hitting, Pure Pitching, Pure Throwing, the Camera Editor, and the Fake Throw System. They can be viewed in the frontend menus or the in-game pause menu.

¨ In-Game Bottom Ticker – Keep tabs on all the action during your Major League season with the addition of The Show's new in-game bottom ticker. You'll now get score updates of games in progress, pitching matchups for games yet to start that day, and final score results highlighting win/loss/save info and notable offensive performances—all recreated just as you would see at the bottom of your screen in real-life. Additionally, you’ll be able to set the ticker to display Friend Updates, so you can keep up with what your friends are up to in The Show.

¨ New Presentations – The Show continues to add to an already expansive presentation base by adding more ways to accurately mirror real-life broadcasts. This year, watch for new pitch-by-pitch sequences that look back at, say, all seven pitches in an at-bat that led to a walk, or a montage of a pitcher's last six strikeouts.

¨ Retooled Fielder Ratings – Improved fielder ratings make defensive substitutions play an even larger role within gameplay. Leave your designated hitter (DH) in the outfield and risk having his shaky glove in the outfield! This year you’ll see an even larger separation in performance by Gold Glovers versus those players less known for their fielding prowess.

In the end....GIANTS WIN! ....but not with this stupid pitcher, he sucks
Ut9U3ed.png

Picked this up. I always play about 10 games online each iteration and then put it down for good when I move on to something else. Help.

Hell yea! Nice work Corran! Wat r ppls feeling towards the new analog controls? The hitting is killing me rite now.

FaidSint

Picked this up today. Not owning a PS Movie, or a 3D TV, I hope there is enough new content to make it worth it.

I mainly play this game offline with my friends so the Co-op could be fun. I hope they beefed up rivalry a bit.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Hell yea! Nice work Corran! Wat r ppls feeling towards the new analog controls? The hitting is killing me rite now.

The hitting takes some getting used to for sure. I love the analog pitching and haven't had much problem getting that down.

alterno69

Banned
I buythis game Every year, and every year i play around 10 games and never touch it again lol, yet i kinda wanna buy this again.

Deeku

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Love the new analog controls and the hitting for me has been great. I could never really get the feel of the pci left stick thing from previous games.

But still, I think I'm going to skip another year since I prefer Konami's japanese baseball series.

Raw64life

Bought 08 and 09, skipped 10. And yet I'm hesitant to buy this one. Probably because the Mets franchise is such a sorry state that my interest in baseball overall has waned as a result.

I'm looking forward to the challenges, I want those prizes dammit!

However I usually wait 3 weeks to a month before I buy the game (roster updates/glitches/Operation Sports response). That NewEgg sale might change my mind...

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Game looks great aside from the shitty Giants who got lucky! This year it won't happen were back..

phillies-logo.jpg

geeko

Dorfdad said:
Game looks great aside from the shitty Giants who got lucky! This year it won't happen were back..

phillies-logo.jpg

Luck had nothing to do with having the best pitchers in the world, AND WE STILL HAVE THEM ALL.

HATERS GONNA HATE!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
TdO65.png

wat

edit: heh that isn't the only thing wrong.

Team ERA was 3.56 last year.

Team Avg, .258.

Challenge of the Week is amazing. Its like going to the arcade and wasting quarters. Ive already bought $5 worth of tries.

eznark

Banned
Great, for whatever reason the game gave me the option to choose 3d, despite the fact that my TV is not capable of 3d. I skipped it the first time but as I was sitting through the still incredibly long load times I accidentally hit yes just now. Now the game goes to black after the title screen and never comes up.

Brilliant.

Wow, advanced stats cost a dollar? Why do you want me to despise you Sony Santa Monica?

Windu

Dorfdad said:
Bet your Gaf account on it than! Phillies in 2011! (1 Week Ban!)

Phillies in 2011!!
you're really going out on a limb there aren't you? Who is the AL Champion? Boston?

Windu

so i just tried that challenge where you have to hit off cc. I couldn't swing at all, nothing worked. bullshit

Khronikos

Banned
Actually this is a great year to skip if you have been keeping tabs. They will be revamping franchise mode next year which is kind of in a sorry state imo. This year was all about their other mode. As well many pitchers and batters have not been 'gotten' to by the dev team. This means their pitches, walk ups, etc. are not in the game. And there are countless other things that still need to be perfected. The fans in 11 look the best out of any sports game, though, and much better than 10 even.

As far as I am concerned I will be using my rosters made from OSFM 4.3 and updating to the opening day as 2010 is still mostly the same as this just less pretty in some ways and with less rad gameplay options. The custom cameras in 11 are completely awesome but I can surely live without them as I am only a Twins player. As well the Twins are updating their stadium so.... I must have spent 60 hours on those last rosters as 10 had nothing right as far as pitches and accuracy of statistics in game and neither did OSFM 4.3 which was based off of their 3 year curve which totally skewed and fucked everything. I am sure that is why my rosters went over well. I can look forward to not having to do a damn thing in 12 as they should have their shit down by then praise the lord. Knight does his minor league thing and that is all I will have to download for once. They still have a might bit to go imo though this is surely a great year to jump in if you are new.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dorfdad said:
Bet your Gaf account on it than! Phillies in 2011! (1 Week Ban!)

Phillies in 2011!!
CTRL+F for Dorfdad in the MLB thread = 0 posts.

You should head over to OT more often, I'm sure Jon would love more exuberant Phillies posters. ;P

nocode

This just shipped to me yesterday from gamefly. I can't believe they actually shipped me a new game right on release! It's a goddamn miracle.

And stop calling for more Phillies fans, XiaNaphryz. Nobody wants that.

Just got done finishing up my first game. Fielding is FANFUCKINGTASTIC. Such a great year, anyone who buys sports games every other year and bought 10- you need 2011. The improvements are great and well worth the purchase.

I love how it's getting stellar reviews everywhere and then IGN lands an 8.0. 2K wrote them a good check.

Windu said:
giants suck
:p

Good job OP. I'm purchasing it now on PSN for the first time for the PSP so I'll give my impressions later if anyone cares.

EDIT: Or PSN could not work for me. Thats always cool too.

Okay, I basically love this game. However, the downside of that is the little shit is really pissing me off whereas it might not as much otherwise.

For instance:

#1: The HUD really fucking sucks. We should be able to turn that shit off. We can turn off everything else (strike zone, ball marker, etc.), but not a HUD that constantly tells me what each button does. I can at least understand it always being on while you're pitching (even then we should be able to turn it off), but while batting? I really need to see the names of all the pitch types and their corresponding buttons for the CPU's pitcher while I bat? I know it was the same in last year's game, but with the new custom cameras and stadium-specific cameras being fuckshit awesome, it becomes that much more pronounced. Like seriously, get that shit off the screen. Patch that shit. GT5 patched in HUD removal. Get it done.

#2: I bitched about it during the demo phase, and I hope it's just something I'll get used to, but it's still fucking bugging me: the catcher freezes for a split second after he catches the ball. I can probably overlook this one, but I still would find it utterly rad if they patched it.

Now, call them petty all you want, but the point of my post is that if these two things weren't issues, I realistically couldn't give you any other complaints. At least not after a few hours.

9.5/10 is my what my gut is telling me, fucking home run 10/10 if they manage to patch the above.

I heard about the coop and was totally on board. But it isn't in franchise mode? What gives? Guh, I'll have to wait to next year.

Nobility

Banned
Just got the game this afternoon and have played two games. Just finished a game between Red Sox/Rangers. It took me 18 innings to get a run, I was running out of relief pitchers and though I had to put Wakefield in until Pedroia got a double to score a run.

Loving the game so far, hitting is a little frustrating, it's going to take some time until I am comfortable with it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Nobility said:
Just got the game this afternoon and have played two games. Just finished a game between Red Sox/Rangers. It took me 18 innings to get a run, I was running out of relief pitchers and though I had to put Wakefield in until Pedroia got a double to score a run.

Loving the game so far, hitting is a little frustrating, it's going to take some time until I am comfortable with it.
Its always like that though. Hitting takes awhile to get use to.

Picked mine up today, presentation in this series is always so impressive, this year they have the exact broadcast angle from each home team's TV coverage (I'm pretty sure they copied the idea from 2K) but it actually means something in The Show because the game isn't shit.

New analog pitching kind of sucks with the PS3 sticks which I hate, had to go back to Button Pitching. Analog hitting feels really good but I'm not sure what to do if anything with the Left Stick during hitting to control direction so I went back to Zone Hitting. Won my 1st game 2-1 on a walk-off homer by pinch hitter Jason Giambi with the Rockies over the Dodgers. (I just picked random teams)

zychi

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Just got my copy, didn't get any kind of code for a free month of MLB.tv :(
Me either :(, my autorenewal didn't go through either so now I have to pay $119.99 instead of $99.99 barring a random price screw up

Top Bottom