• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 11 The Show |OT| Fear the Beard™

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As much as I want to jump into this right away, I'd rather wait for the full OS roster updates. Plus I'm still slogging through NBA2K11.

Can someone PM me their unwanted MLB.tv code? I ordered from Amazon expecting it to come inside the game, didn't know I had to buy from B&M to get the free month.

EDIT: never mind, Amazon just emailed me a code, fuck yes

eznark

Banned
Huh, I didn't get a code. Bought it from Wal Mart. Oh well, not like I need a trial to know that I have to buy mlb.tv.

I had to uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to work. I have no idea why the hell the game thinks I have a 3D TV. I have a 60" Pioneer KURO and it is not 3D. The shitty thing is that the prompt comes up every single time I start the game and the default is "yes."

Online worked awesome yesterday all afternoon and evening. Weekly challenges are cool but I think the new leader had like 78 million points (I saw something scroll across the bottom so maybe I misread it) and that seems jobbed to me. The new UI is freaking excellent; so much crisper and easier to read. Love it. I have not gotten a chance to play any co-op but that seems like a ton of fun and I'm excited to try it out. Considering their history with net code though I am not optimistic that 2v2 will work for shit. I played a few weeks of RTTS and that seemed like it was accelerated in small ways, which is nice.

On the negative side, the game looks no better than last year overall. For some reason the video scoreboard in Atlanta refused to stop playing video during pitches which made hitting and pitching infuriating (the damn meter blends into the video screen). Also lame that they are selling the advanced stat pack. Just gross.

Shurs

eznark said:
Huh, I didn't get a code. Bought it from Wal Mart. Oh well, not like I need a trial to know that I have to buy mlb.tv.

I had to uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to work. I have no idea why the hell the game thinks I have a 3D TV. I have a 60" Pioneer KURO and it is not 3D. The shitty thing is that the prompt comes up every single time I start the game and the default is "yes."

That's really odd, as I didn't notice any 3D option at all when I started up the game last night.

eznark

Banned
Shurs said:
That's really odd, as I didn't notice any 3D option at all when I started up the game last night.

It's not an option, it's a pop-up window over the first screen after the intro video. The shitty thing about it is that it didn't pop up after I accidentally hit yes, it just went into 3D mode (which locked up the system). So when I hit no, the game forgets each time I restart. When I say yes (because it's the default and their insanely long load times make me pound buttons), the game locks that in and I am forced to uninstall.

eznark said:
... the game looks no better than last year overall.

I was still playing '10 some 3 or 4 times per week as recently as yesterday, and I have to disagree. The lighting is better, the palette is better, the facial models are WAY better, and it just has a sharper, tighter image overall with a better framerate to boot.

Granted it's not a particularly marked or striking upgrade, but it most certainly is an upgrade.

Shurs

eznark said:
It's not an option, it's a pop-up window over the first screen after the intro video. The shitty thing about it is that it didn't pop up after I accidentally hit yes, it just went into 3D mode (which locked up the system). So when I hit no, the game forgets each time I restart. When I say yes (because it's the default and their insanely long load times make me pound buttons), the game locks that in and I am forced to uninstall.

I guess I didn't notice the pop-up last night.

That sucks that you have to uninstall and reinstall, as that process takes a long time. Coupled with the load times, that's some controller-tossing shit right there.

eznark

Banned
Shurs said:
I guess I didn't notice the pop-up last night.

That sucks that you have to uninstall and reinstall, as that process takes a long time. Coupled with the load times, that's some controller-tossing shit right there.

That process isn't terrible...it's re-downloading the patch that is the real killer. I'm positive I'll accidentally do it again.

Granted it's not a particularly marked or striking upgrade, but it most certainly is an upgrade.
Eh, I don't see it but I haven't played 10 in a month.

turnbuckle

Man, that challenge was fun. I sucked at it completely and refuse to pay to do it anymore though. Is there a way to play it for free without having the score count, or do you really have to pay to play? The fuck?

Paid for the improved stats. Only a buck so it didn't bother me at all.

I don't really like the rtts scoring for pitching now. It heavily favors strike-out pitchers to contact - which is good, I always make my pitchers have lights out stuff. But if there's a runner on first, you're still better off going for the strikeout than the double-play. The game punishes you for allowing hits and runs but doesn't seem to rewards you for having a 0 WHIP or ERA of 0 or anything like that. How is my 6'6" starting pitcher, "professor money" gonna dominate the show by the age of 19 with that kind of progression? :(

I played one game online and it felt off. The game didn't stutter or have any lag (which was nice) but it felt like there was a pause or hesitation or something when batting just before/just as the pitch crossed the plate. I was able to hit 3 home runs (using zone) without pressing the power button in the first inning of that game, but besides that fluke something just didn't feel right when I was at the plate.

Maybe it's early and my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it seems like it's a little easier to see the pitch movement (or the pitch movement is more pronounced). It was especially noticeable to me on cutters and running fast balls. Splitters seemed to have a more pronounced break as well.

This all could just be me overanalyzing on a first game, but I played 2010 as recently as monday and I'm sure I noticed a difference. Also, the lighting and skin is definitely improved. I was using the replay camera to look around the field and went to see Cabrera's facial expression as he got beaned in the shoulder. In doing so I noticed something that may not be new but still impressed me - the helmets have the interior foam modeled. Only caught that when Cabera's face went through the replay camera lol.
The fly balls that are destined to hit the wall are confusing in this one. When a ball like that is hit, instead of the catch region graphic, there's a transparent baseball image centered in the area of the bal's path. Or something. Only saw it twice but confused both me and my opponent.

Also - yeah, the rosters really need updating. Justin Verlander's fastball still only tops out at 98 and Austin Jackson's power rating is ridiculously high. Hit a first pitch homer on a regular swing with him.

The saving/loading in game modes takes longer than it should.
The loading time to start up the online game felt like it took a minute.

Hope both of those improve with a patch soon.

Anyways, great game as always!

eznark

Banned
turnbuckle said:
The saving/loading in game modes takes longer than it should.
The loading time to start up the online game felt like it took a minute.

Hope both of those improve with a patch soon.

Anyways, great game as always!

They have never patched these glaring issues before, doubt they will this time either. And the $1 itself doesn't bother me, it's that they gate something like that at all.

turnbuckle

eznark said:
They have never patched these glaring issues before, doubt they will this time either. And the $1 itself doesn't bother me, it's that they gate something like that at all.

Let the free market decide whether advanced stats are worth a buck or not!

I noticed the save/load thing more this year than last year. I mean, I bullshit my way through RTTS with my first starting pitcher every year. Sliders all in my favor, pitching on rookie, restarting when I have a bad game. So lots of saving a loading, but this time I decided to say to hell with it because I didn't want to see the game hang on "100% complete" for an hour (slight exaggeration)

I went with Kenny Powers the past 2 years, this year I'm bringing up the dickslapper Ashley Schaeffer (of Ashley Schaeffer BMW fame)

Working on the 4-seamer to go along with his wicked splitter.

PlgNJ.jpg

eznark

Banned
Me complaning about it is not me saying it shouldn't be allowed. The common mistake of snark-without-thinking.

I have not tried a pitcher in RTTS, I started with an outfielder just to see if there were any improvements. Generally I have found fielders to be an awful way to play RTTS, but so far they sped things up nicely.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new experience system for online play?

eznark said:

This is not something that our game is "forgetting." We ask the PS3 which modes are available, and if we are told 3D is available, we will ask if you want to use it.

Is it possible that you have had this PS3 hooked up to a 3D TV in the past? Try running thru your display settings from the XMB. Choose the modes that are avail on your TV, and then load the game.

Hope that helps.

Chris
MLB Lead Animator and First Time NeoGAF Poster

Mlb_Animator said:
This is not something that our game is "forgetting." We ask the PS3 which modes are available, and if we are told 3D is available, we will ask if you want to use it.

Is it possible that you have had this PS3 hooked up to a 3D TV in the past? Try running thru your display settings from the XMB. Choose the modes that are avail on your TV, and then load the game.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Get ready to be asked a bajillion questions.

Awesome game!

Yeah man the loading and saving times are pretty brutal. Like not just below industry standards bad, like saying out loud, while you wait, "Wow, these are long fucking load times." That kind of bad.

eznark

Banned
Mlb_Animator said:

Hope that helps.

Chris

I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I'll look into your suggestion soon as I get home.

Corran Horn said:
Screw it, I'm going to get it today after school. I don't need to eat fancy stuff! Lol

You created the thread and weren't going to get the game?

Mac & Cheese for the next month is worth it for The Show.

Loading times are crap though. Really bad this year.

turnbuckle

Mlb_Animator said:

Hope that helps.

Chris
Welcome! Haha expect questions you may not be able to answer. Nice to see you respond directly to an issue a poster had. Great game even if we find things worth complaining about!

Will you be updating Brian Wilson's beard to reflect its growth over the course of the season? Will you be animating the way it moves during his wind-up?

demolitio

For those of you who've had lag issues in MLB 10, is it any better in the MLB 11? I know it's smooth for some but I've heard a few accounts of it being laggy again so I was wondering if those who couldn't play 10 could play 11 now.

Unfortunately I don't have high hopes that it's fixed since it seems like it'd need quite the overhaul that doesn't happen too often on annual games.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
DoctorWho said:
You created the thread and weren't going to get the game?

Mac & Cheese for the next month is worth it for The Show.

Loading times are crap though. Really bad this year.
Going to get it. But I just had some unexpected bills recently that took priority over getting the game.

turnbuckle said:
Justin Verlander's fastball still only tops out at 98 and Austin Jackson's power rating is ridiculously high. Hit a first pitch homer on a regular swing with him.

1) I've hit triple digits with Verlander.

2) I'd be cautious of this sort of thinking in general. Hitting a HR with Austin Jackson shouldn't be something that makes you raise an eyebrow, even if it was with a contact swing. Even if he hit 10 or 15 homers for you in the month of April it wouldn't be dumbshit crazy. Hitting 40 or 50 bombs on the season would be, but remember Chris Shelton? Anyone's allowed to come out hot. I say let it happen, because I've got horror stories about what happens when you don't.

My best example was just last season. I had Miguel Cabrera hitting like .350 with 22 HR in the month of May. By late July, he was at .245 with 24 HR. Mind you I play every game. Same thing has happened with pitching: after a few starts, dude is 4-0 with a 1.06 ERA and I'm thinking, man this is too easy. Fast forward 40 or 60 games and I don't have a single pitcher on my staff with an ERA under 4.

I find examples like this innumerable. It's really part of what makes this game so great in the first place. Literally anything that can happen in real baseball can happen in this game. 22-17 slugfest with 15 combined HR (at which point you're subconsciously thinking, omg this is stupid), followed by a 13-game losing streak during which you scored 10 runs total (man, I sure wish the game would be "stupid" again).

Not saying the guys you mentioned don't need to be tweaked, just saying I'd wait until Jackson hits 30 HR before I'd be worried about it. And maybe while Jackson hits 30 HR Cabrera only hits 21. It wouldn't have anything to do with ratings at that point.

That said, I'm a play-all-162-games Franchise Mode guy. In the event you're something else, much of what I just said you can probably just throw away. :lol

Sanjuro

Corran Horn said:
Im guessing thats an East Coast company since I dont know of them. They good with online orders?
I trust them. They are basically like sports authority or dicks. You can use PayPal, I just did it with no hiccups. :D

Marleyman

Banned
Are you able to have, say 4 people in the online season mode and the rest AI? Also, is the online season mode multiple seasons or just one? Is there a draft? Can you make trades, free agency etc in the online league? Thanks to anyone who can answer these.

turnbuckle

NEOPARADIGM said:
1) I've hit triple digits with Verlander.

I'll try a couple more times in 2011. In 2010 they had his fastball originally able to hit 100 mph a few times a game, even 101 from occasion (he's hit 102 multiple times in real life, even last season). One of their roster updates lowered his RFB velocity and I've yet to clock 100 mph since in 2010 - after playing probably 30 games using him online I figured it wasn't possible anymore.

2) I'd be cautious of this sort of thinking in general. Hitting a HR with Austin Jackson shouldn't be something that makes you raise an eyebrow, even if it was with a contact swing. Even if he hit 10 or 15 homers for you in the month of April it wouldn't be dumbshit crazy. Hitting 40 or 50 bombs on the season would be, but remember Chris Shelton? Anyone's allowed to come out hot. I say let it happen, because I've got horror stories about what happens when you don't.

My best example was just last season. I had Miguel Cabrera hitting like .350 with 22 HR in the month of May. By late July, he was at .245 with 24 HR. Mind you I play every game. Same thing has happened with pitching: after a few starts, dude is 4-0 with a 1.06 ERA and I'm thinking, man this is too easy. Fast forward 40 or 60 games and I don't have a single pitcher on my staff with an ERA under 4.

I find examples like this innumerable. It's really part of what makes this game so great in the first place. Literally anything that can happen in real baseball can happen in this game. 22-17 slugfest with 15 combined HR (at which point you're subconsciously thinking, omg this is stupid), followed by a 13-game losing streak during which you scored 10 runs total (man, I sure wish the game would be "stupid" again).

Not saying the guys you mentioned don't need to be tweaked, just saying I'd wait until Jackson hits 30 HR before I'd be worried about it. And maybe while Jackson hits 30 HR Cabrera only hits 21. It wouldn't have anything to do with ratings at that point.

no no, Austin Jackson's power rating is too high. I remember Shelton well, that's a separate matter though. It would be as if they jacked Shelton's power rating because of a good month. Jackson had 4 home runs last year and his power rating is above average.

That said, I'm a play-all-162-games Franchise Mode guy. In the event you're something else, much of what I just said you can probably just throw away. :lol

I'll be doing a franchise again myself once the knight rosters become available

Anyways, on to more important things - Tigers fan? If so, you need to get in the MLB thread! I feel so alone :(

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Another deal out there. MLB 11 for $36.

http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4054251 with the CODE " MOD4TEN39 "
Well, looks like I ran out of excuses. Fuck, and I loved ordering my games from the overseas anime shop in Japan too!

Question: I also see this:
Is it possible to get that 10% off and enter the promo code?

turnbuckle said:
Tigers fan? If so, you need to get in the MLB thread! I feel so alone :(

Yeah, I suspect I'll wander in there from time to time this year. I'd really like to see them add another bat and another established starter, but I suppose so does every fan of every team. I fully expect them to compete for the division title and/or wildcard though. If they don't make a little noise this year, 2006 is gonna start to really look like a flash in the pan. Hell, it was already five years ago.

The other thing, yeah, I've just foud that the threshold for allowing good shit to happen seems to be very low among sports gamers. For me I'd rather wait until I'm 35-5 like the '84 Tigers before I'd even let myself consider if it were too easy; or I'd want to see Cabrera hit 118 HR before I'd wonder if him having 44 in mid-June is a real problem, and so on. The game's just been that dynamic for me over the years.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Well, looks like I ran out of excuses. Fuck, and I loved ordering my games from the overseas anime shop in Japan too!

Question: I also see this:

Is it possible to get that 10% off and enter the promo code?
No, they wont combine.

Afrikan

newjeruse said:
What the!? This is the first time I've looked at it since I've posted it. Where did all those views come from?

you used to be one of them newjeruse, you used to be one of them.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
No, they wont combine.
Yeah, i just tried it. Sales Tax in NY but I wasn't going to find a better deal than $39.18 anytime soon... Bought and bought.

EDIT: ummmm if I'm not mistaken that code is only good for 3/9 and 3/10... MEANING TODAY IS THE LAST DAY THAT CODE IS GOOD FOR.

buy-now6.jpg

turnbuckle said:
Anyways, on to more important things - Tigers fan? If so, you need to get in the MLB thread! I feel so alone :(

Another Tigers fan here. I hit about 15 games a year at Comerica. If you need another Tigers fan in the MLB thread I'll jump in.

graywolf323

The Frankman said:
Yeah, i just tried it. Sales Tax in NY but I wasn't going to find a better deal than $39.18 anytime soon... Bought and bought.

EDIT: ummmm if I'm not mistaken that code is only good for 3/9 and 3/10... MEANING TODAY IS THE LAST DAY THAT CODE IS GOOD FOR. \

today is March 9th... so if it's good on March 10th as well this isn't the last day

Man, I just bit on the Modells deal. I played 10 well into the winter, so it's really a good deal at any price, but I'm also a huge Dragon Age fan and couldn't bring myself to drop $120 on Tuesday. I'll definitely be playing with analog control, as I enjoyed it on the demo. Pitching and fielding are definitely more intuitive; hitting makes it harder for me so far, but that's partially because I was never very good at hitting anyway. I usually just play a lot of RttS as starting pitcher, but I'm definitely on board for a NeoGAF league as the Royals.

Awesome to have a developer in this thread, too. I hope you participate in it some more, Chris.

Top Bottom