• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bonds didn't win a World Series; Ortiz has won 3. Bonds was never a world series MVP; Ortiz has been.

That's really the obvious difference here. I think it's clear that the Hall disproportionately rewards people who happen to get hot in the small stretch of 10-50 postseason games they play in their career or who happen to play on better teams. Ortiz has been on some very good teams and been the star on several of those world series winners; that virtue (which I would attribute almost entirely to randomness) clearly trumps almost any other concern.

With all due respect, I think you're way off base here (unless I'm seriously misreading your argument). Bonds not being in the Hall and his reputation with the BBWAA has nothing to do with his postseason anything.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
With all due respect, I think you're way off base here (unless I'm seriously misreading your argument). Bonds not being in the Hall and his reputation with the BBWAA has nothing to do with his postseason anything.

I think Opiate is saying that Bonds' lack of post-season heroism has allowed the BBWAA to view his "crimes" in full light, whereas Ortiz is likely to get more of a pass due to his particular post-season history obfuscating those more pernicious issues. So it's not that Opiate is saying that the writers are actively disliking Bonds because he doesn't have rings, it's just that the writers won't have the same opportunity to forgive Bonds the same way they would Ortiz, again, due to rings.

eznark

Banned
Moral of the Josh Hamilton story seems to be fuck up your life as much as possible early on so that later on everyone will excuse anything you do.

McDougles

And yet totally predictable. An oft-injured outfielder + a team that constantly has injury problems.

He tripped on a hidden sprinkler on the field. It's more of a freak injury than when Reyes lost the first half of his first season here.

Still, 1-5 hitters are still likely the best in the league, Stroman is legit, Hutch developed a knockout slider late last year and Norris or Sanchez will be the 5th starter.

The world's not over yet. Not when the Red Sox's #2 is Rick Porcello.

Fox318

I despise josh hamilton but im not happy that he's back on drugs.

I am glad, however, that his ass is no longer a Texas Ranger and that he's now LAAAAAAAAA of A's problem. Maybe glad is the wrong word. More like "relieved".
Texas was smart not to sign him but he had his life together there. At what point does moeny replace your quality of life?
TNBR6FM.jpg

heaven

He tripped on a hidden sprinkler on the field. It's more of a freak injury than when Reyes lost the first half of his first season here.

Still, 1-5 hitters are still likely the best in the league, Stroman is legit, Hutch developed a knockout slider late last year and Norris or Sanchez will be the 5th starter.

Wow he tripped on a sprinkler? That's ridiculously unlucky.

thefro

Best freak Cubs injuries:
- Sosa going on the DL with back spasms after sneezing
- Kerry Wood getting injured after slipping in his hot tub and going on the DL
- Zambrano hurting his elbow after spending too much time on his laptop

BFIB

Vince Coleman getting wrapped up in the tarp causing him to miss the playoffs always stands out to me as the dumbest injury I've heard of.

Joel Zumaya getting injured playing Guitar Hero is up there too.

BFIB

Aaaaaaaand on queue here comes Ortiz on the pace of play. Says he feels the game "constantly sways towards the pitcher". Ok.....except the only thing the pitcher has had go his way in the past, oh, I don't know....ever was lowering the pitching mound...which lasted a few seasons. And adding that grate so the pitchers can clean off their cleats.

Ortiz also stated that he's not going to change his approach. He'll "step out when he wants" and he doesn't care what the ump says, or what the pitcher says.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Opiate is saying that Bonds' lack of post-season heroism has allowed the BBWAA to view his "crimes" in full light, whereas Ortiz is likely to get more of a pass due to his particular post-season history obfuscating those more pernicious issues. So it's not that Opiate is saying that the writers are actively disliking Bonds because he doesn't have rings, it's just that the writers won't have the same opportunity to forgive Bonds the same way they would Ortiz, again, due to rings.

I just don't think post season heroics have anything all to do with it.

Beckx

Best freak Cubs injuries:
- Sosa going on the DL with back spasms after sneezing
- Kerry Wood getting injured after slipping in his hot tub and going on the DL
- Zambrano hurting his elbow after spending too much time on his laptop

This is why I love Out of the Park Baseball. You can always count on someone going out after shooting himself in the foot or getting hurt by a garage door. Current injuries in the league I'm playing with my son include players shot in the foot, player who broke his hand punching a wall (domestic violence no less), player hurt in car accident.

Pirates press is loving this Kang v Mercer thing. (Which is kind of silly b/c Kang probably ends up at 2nd if Walker goes in 16)

As much as I can't stand Ortiz, I'm with him on the pace of play. However, to say that the game is constantly swaying towards the pitcher, is ridiculous.

Maybe Ortiz is really dumb (probably the case) but you shouldn't need that long in between pitches to have an idea of what the pitcher is going to try to do next.

His game being favoured for the pitcher argument is also stupid. Considering we're talking about sinking the strike zone and implementing a pitch clock. What a tool.

Opiate

You don't need to show me respect, just so you know.

But what would you attribute their dislike to? I think it's a variety of things. I think it's the steroids, in part -- but then, Ortiz was actually caught doing steroids, while Bonds is just very very strongly rumored to have used them. Bonds is known as a jerk -- but then, Ortiz is quite the diva himself. I think one of the contributing differences is postseason "aura." What alternative suggestion do you have?

The BBWAA's dislike of Bonds comes down entirely to the fact he didn't suck up to them. He came up being distrustful of them, and the way they fawned over a lesser player in Van Slyke probably solidified his view that they weren't going to give him a fair chance. Considering how generally fragile the egos of BBWAA members are, I don't think it's insane to believe that they took his distrust and refusal to give good quotes, and ran with it.

Haven't they already said Sanchez is going to the bullpen? Regardless, starting pitching is -- as of right now, until they suffer the usual rash of injuries -- the least of the Jays' concerns. The bullpen is still kind of a mess. There are four positions that are massive question marks (CF, LF, 2B, plus whichever of 1B or DH EE isn't playing). Defensively this team is going to be terrifying, since they have, like, two guys (3B and C) that could be considered decent defenders, and another (Goins) who's so incompetent a hitter that he negates however amazing his glove may be. I want to be optimistic about this team, but the last few years and the fact AA has done nothing for months about very obvious problems makes me really skeptical.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

But what would you attribute their dislike to? I think it's a variety of things. I think it's the steroids, in part -- but then, Ortiz was actually caught doing steroids, while Bonds is just very very strongly rumored to have used them. Bonds is known as a jerk -- but then, Ortiz is quite the diva himself. I think one of the contributing differences is postseason "aura." What alternative suggestion do you have?

The disdain between Bonds and the media throughout his career has always been significantly stronger than Ortiz's issues with them. Bonds pretty much came into the league with a grudge against them from seeing how things went between media and his father when he was growing up.

Agreed there... if the Cubs do exceed expectations and look like they can make a playoff run they can always trade for another starter at the deadline.

I expect:
- 1 A-tier starter
- 1 B-tier starter
- Experienced catcher who is great at pitch-framing (Russell Martin ideally)
- Veteran outfielder
- Maybe a bullpen guy? (not a closer)
Pretty great predictions haha.

Sanchez is a RP at this level. 100%

zychi

Banned

Bonds was an asshole to the media his whole career, Papi isn't. The media puts people in the HOF. Pretty simple.

If Papi doesn't get in, then we know the HOF is a giant joke. Edgar and Papi both deserve to be in, even as DHs

Parch

Wonderful. Frail Bones Saunders can't even survive to the first spring training game.

Pillar, Colabello, Dirks, Dickerson. Of course the Blue Jay OF options are just crawling with MVP's,

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wonderful. Frail Bones Saunders can't even survive to the first spring training game.

Pillar, Colabello, Dirks, Dickerson. Of course the Blue Jay OF options are just crawling with MVP's,

Would not be surprised to see a Navarro for DeJesus trade. Rays need another C, Jays need a OF.

Can dust off my old bobblehead too!

Top Bottom