• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Fox318

My Yankees season prediction

AhLhyrS.jpg

Opiate

Bonds was an asshole to the media his whole career, Papi isn't. The media puts people in the HOF. Pretty simple.

If Papi doesn't get in, then we know the HOF is a giant joke. Edgar and Papi both deserve to be in, even as DHs

I thought Ortiz was generally seen as a jerk? Or are we saying that he may be a jerk, but he wasn't a jerk to the media, which is what really matters in this case? I can see that logic.

David Ortiz has 47.7 career WAR according to baseball reference. He doesn't even crack the top 200 all time position players. Mark Teixeira has 1 more WAR than him and is 4 years younger.

You essentially have to argue that DHs deserve a special handicapped place, sort of like relievers. I don't really agree with that.

Regardless, Edgar Martinez is in an entirely different league than Ortiz is. The WAR gap between Martinez and Ortiz is identical to the WAR gap between Mark Grace and Carlton Fisk.

Giancarlo Stanton will now start wearing a customized batting helmet with a face guard like Jason Heyward has now.

Except Stanton's has the letter "G" modeled into it.

realhelmet_n5rkiel3_vpbejh4t.jpg

Why? Posey seems a lot better with the media than Trout.

Because Mike Trout is the next Ken Griffey Jr. He's baseballs superstar, it's best player. You have to use him as your primary marketing tool to keep interest from shifting even more to Basketball and Football.

Also:

http://es.pn/1LMdhmL

Mets pitching assignments (tentative):

March 4 at Braves: Dillon Gee, Jon Velasquez

March 5 at Nationals: Bartolo Colon, Gabriel Ynoa

March 6 vs. Tigers: Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard

March 7 (ss) vs. Braves: Jacob deGrom, Matt Bowman

March 7 (ss) at Marlins: Steven Matz, Rafael Montero

HARVEY DAY IS BACK HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

eznark

Banned
Because Mike Trout is the next Ken Griffey Jr. He's baseballs superstar, it's best player. You have to use him as your primary marketing tool to keep interest from shifting even more to Basketball and Football.

They used Jeter, who was not the best player, for the last decade. You use the guy that sells.

Also:

Harvey and Syndergaard on the same day makes for must watch television.

The face of MLB is a guy who spends half the game with his face covered.

The two MLB players I saw most in commercials last year were Harper and Trout.

Syrinx

Also:

Shit.

I'll be in Asheville during Harvey/Syndergaard day.

Oh well, being surrounded by beer is an acceptable alternative.

Pimpwerx

As long as the first post of the OT has this:

zTT3o8y.png

LVlIz.gif

Apparently Andrew McCutchen lost to Todd Frazier in the first round of voting for that, lol.
I have to be honest. I don't watch baseball anymore, and while I have heard Buster Posey's name mentioned on sports radio before, this is the first I've ever seen of his face. I kept thinking he was Buster Ohlny, the media guy.

Outside of Marlins players, the most recognizable player is Mike Trout, and that's due to the Subway ad. The only other person I would recognize is McCutchen, but that's because I heckled the shit out of him one game I attended (I don't normally do that dort of thing, but my friend and I were so wasted). I honestly don't recognize anyone else on that #faceofmlb image. If that's seriously the list of players MLB thinks are candidates for the face of their sport, then that sport is gonna be faceless pretty soon. I've heard so many of those names, but never seen any of them. I watch football and basketball religiously, but little ESPN. That no doubt limits my exposure. PEACE.

I have to be honest. I don't watch baseball anymore, and while I have heard Buster Posey's name mentioned on sports radio before, this is the first I've ever seen of his face. I kept thinking he was Buster Ohlny, the media guy.

Outside of Marlins players, the most recognizable player is Mike Trout, and that's due to the Subway ad. The only other person I would recognize is McCutchen, but that's because I heckled the shit out of him one game I attended (I don't normally do that dort of thing, but my friend and I were so wasted). I honestly don't recognize anyone else on that #faceofmlb image. If that's seriously the list of players MLB thinks are candidates for the face of their sport, then that sport is gonna be faceless pretty soon. I've heard so many of those names, but never seen any of them. I watch football and basketball religiously, but little ESPN. That no doubt limits my exposure. PEACE.

AY SEE. SEE!

Opiate

With all due respect, I think you're way off base here (unless I'm seriously misreading your argument). Bonds not being in the Hall and his reputation with the BBWAA has nothing to do with his postseason anything.

As another tangential response to this post, I want to point out how important it is to me that people not tread on eggshells around me just because they're afraid I'll ban them.

I have, in my history as a moderator, banned precisely 1 person who was conversing directly with me, and that person told me I was hilariously wrong and laughed at me. When I asked him to explain why I was wrong, he responded that I was so wrong it should be obvious and he wasn't going to take the time to explain to me why I was so wrong.

There have been other cases of people being banned while talking to me, but all of those others have been banned by other moderators who decide the person was over the line. I am much less concerned with being offended than I am with being avoided.

The BBWAA values the fraternity more than anything. They value people who play along with them. It's why Pedro has to wait, it's why Piazza has had to wait, it's why countless players who should be voted in haven't gotten their chance to get to Cooperstown.

It's an old mans club that validates itself and rebuts and rejects any and all levels or attempts at introspective thought. Hence why they banned Dan LeBatard from voting after he gave his ballot to Deadspin.

aFIGurANT

The BBWAA values the fraternity more than anything. They value people who play along with them. It's why Pedro has to wait, it's why Piazza has had to wait, it's why countless players who should be voted in haven't gotten their chance to get to Cooperstown.

It's an old mans club that validates itself and rebuts and rejects any and all levels or attempts at introspective thought. Hence why they banned Dan LeBatard from voting after he gave his ballot to Deadspin.

Yup give it 30 years and they'll be dead and hopefully replaced by more forward-thinkers. Probably longer than that to be realistic but I think we can probably agree that baseball journalism is generally far ahead of other sports in terms of methodology/thought process. Even Charles Barkley is looking like a fool these days and that revolution (Basketball) is still far from over.

If we can make it without any huge omissions until there's more of a balance it would be good, but I think the Association is still going to be a battleground for a good minute so it'll be interesting to see who's snubbed permanently in the meanwhile. BTW Pedro got in this year in case you missed it.

Yup give it 30 years and they'll be dead and hopefully replaced by more forward-thinkers. Probably longer than that to be realistic but I think we can probably agree that baseball journalism is generally far ahead of other sports in terms of methodology/thought process. Even Charles Barkley is looking like a fool these days and that revolution (Basketball) is still far from over.

If we can make it without any huge omissions until there's more of a balance it would be good, but I think the Association is still going to be a battleground for a good minute so it'll be interesting to see who's snubbed permanently in the meanwhile. BTW Pedro got in this year in case you missed it.

I wasn't thinking right. Bagwell was who I was PO'ed about, been a while since I thought about it so I forgot if he got in or not.

Piazza was at like 69.8 or something absurd. Just vote the guy in who the fuck cares if he had backne that doesn't prove anything. Bagwell not getting in was a joke, that's who I was thinking off, don't know why my brain went Pedro.

And of course Hoffman will have to wait even though he is one of the nicest guys ever to play the sport because the BBWAA doesn't value closers.

It's an old mans club, stupid, out of touch old men.

First to 500 saves, first to have 4 straight years of 40+ saves twice, broke the all-time saves record and held it for a while.

I think he should be in but that might just be the pitcher in me talking.

saves are meaningless though. If you look at his real numbers he was a good, but never great pitcher.

As another tangential response to this post, I want to point out how important it is to me that people not tread on eggshells around me just because they're afraid I'll ban them.

I have, in my history as a moderator, banned precisely 1 person who was conversing directly with me, and that person told me I was hilariously wrong and laughed at me. When I asked him to explain why I was wrong, he responded that I was so wrong it should be obvious and he wasn't going to take the time to explain to me why I was so wrong.

There have been other cases of people being banned while talking to me, but all of those others have been banned by other moderators who decide the person was over the line. I am much less concerned with being offended than I am with being avoided.

but what if your A.I subroutines malfunction?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Never understood the "small hall" arguments. What other physical institution is out there to celebrate the history of the sport? It's Cooperstown and the Negro Leagues Museum. Like, that's it. Having the Hall of Fame act as a museum is better for the sport, no?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
What do yall use for sports breaking news/scores notifications on phones.

I use to get my team scores/big sports news via ESPN text message service but they cancelled that service recently.

Top Bottom