• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

dmag1223

I just found out about the Byrd trade. I thought it was pretty decent value. Are you commenting more on the Latos/Simon moves? I do think those are a bit questionable but it dumps payroll that we need. Admittedly I don't know much about Marlon Byrd other than his stat line the past few years. We could do worse and have worse.

Also Happy New Year MLB-GAF. Somebody please take this cold ass weather away and hand me a hot dog WITH MUSTARD and an overpriced beer.

I just don't think this team has any direction. Are we building for the future? Are we saying "Fuck it, let's go for it one more time"? Trading 2/5ths of your starting rotation for prospects says the former, but trading a top 10 organization prospect for 37 year old Marlon Byrd says the latter. At best this team is just treading water for next season, but we are completely boned beyond that.

Friggz

It's actually before June 15th.

where are you getting that date?

Per baseball america:

"So it’s possible that the Cubs and Rangers—both of whom are prohibited from signing an international player for more than $250,000 until July 2—or a team that’s already heavily committed to top 2015 international prospects could convince Moncada to wait until July 2, 2015 to sign, thus counting him against its 2015-16 bonus pool."

Malo

Banned
where are you getting that date?

Per baseball america:

"So it’s possible that the Cubs and Rangers—both of whom are prohibited from signing an international player for more than $250,000 until July 2—or a team that’s already heavily committed to top 2015 international prospects could convince Moncada to wait until July 2, 2015 to sign, thus counting him against its 2015-16 bonus pool."
If Moncada can receive an unblocking license from the U.S. government and be declared a free agent by MLB during the current signing period, which ends on June 15, the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays would have an edge.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/yoan-moncada-cuban-baseball-star/

Malo

Banned
right. but the signing period starts july 2nd. so the cubs need him to become a free agent after the signing period in order to have a shot. the current signing period ends june 15th. which is what you are referencing.
Woops, I didn't fully read your comment and confused the two.

Malo

Banned
If the Yankees have their eyes sent on Moancada, they're going to sign him. They won't be outbid. Now, magic and the Doyers could be competition tho.

I dunno if I'm a huge fan of trading Banuelos...but then again, if the Yanks did their homework and feel like he can't be the ace starter they thought he could be 3 years ago before injury, then the two relievers they got are a pretty decent pickup.

...especially if the object of the game is to stockpile good parts to flip for impact players.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/giants-out-on-shields-scherzer-pursuing-zobrist.html

I don't like this. The Giants ownership not letting Sabean spend anymore money seems ridiculous with the money they've hauled in over the last five years. I honestly don't have high hopes for this season after all the moves the Padres have done and the powerhouse that is the Dodgers. Oh well, I guess I can't complain much since I've gotten to see three world series wins lately.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/giants-out-on-shields-scherzer-pursuing-zobrist.html

I don't like this. The Giants ownership not letting Sabean spend anymore money seems ridiculous with the money they've hauled in over the last five years. I honestly don't have high hopes for this season after all the moves the Padres have done and the powerhouse that is the Dodgers. Oh well, I guess I can't complain much since I've gotten to see three world series wins lately.
Giants are so fucked lol

I'm not mad though, we all knew 2015 wasn't gonna be shit. Odd year and all that.
I ain't even mad:
wwHfQqI.jpg

B0DBuCg.jpg

aFIGurANT

I just followed an MLBTR link here and found this gem:
The use of defensive shifting, which is becoming as boring as watching the pitcher hit, has done a number on lefthanded-hitting sluggers such as David Ortiz, limiting the opportunity for these hitters to do damage. It’s something MLB needs to look into and possibly impose some restrictions. Teams averaged 4.07 runs per game in 2014, the lowest mark since 1981.

We get it Boston, you don't like your papi getting disrespected, but how would you ever enforce such a rule change?

aFIGurANT

^^ I'd enjoy watching all the 3-strike bunts that Ortiz would probably produce while trying to do that. Rizzo > Ortiz cuz all the latter knows is the hulk smash.

The Nationals doctors have diagnosed Dan Uggla with oculomotor dysfunction, which is a neurological condition that causes distorted motion vision when moving the head or body. It's believed that it was caused by two separate incidents of being hit in the head with pitches while with the Braves in July 2012 and May 2013. Nationals trainers have had Uggla perform specialized rehab for the last two weeks. Uggla has already reported significant improvement with his vision. Uggla's condition went undiagnosed by the Braves.

jbug617

Banned
Shields not getting the money right now

@JimBowden_ESPN: Shields market fascinating.. looking for 5yrs 110m…no one interested at that..KC/SF spend money elsewhere..Mia,TX,Bos wait for price to drop

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Nationals doctors have diagnosed Dan Uggla with oculomotor dysfunction, which is a neurological condition that causes distorted motion vision when moving the head or body. It's believed that it was caused by two separate incidents of being hit in the head with pitches while with the Braves in July 2012 and May 2013. Nationals trainers have had Uggla perform specialized rehab for the last two weeks. Uggla has already reported significant improvement with his vision. Uggla's condition went undiagnosed by the Braves.

sad trombone sound

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It'll be hilarious if he starts wrecking shop in the NL East now.

The White Sox have signed Emilio Bonafacio to a 1-year, $4 million deal. He will make $3 million in 2015. The deal has a 2016 club option worth $4 million with a $1 million buyout.

Kind of surprised the Giants didn't pursue Bonifacio. Sabean is potentially going to trade for Zobrist when he could have gotten the same type of utility player out of Bonifacio.

Point of Order: Zobrist is way better.

This is true but neither of them seems to be a long term solution. Zobrist is going to be turning 34 while Boni is 4 years younger. I like both of them a lot but I'd rather pay $3 million for Bonifacio considering all of the Giants payroll inaction.

This is true but neither of them seems to be a long term solution. Zobrist is going to be turning 34 while Boni is 4 years younger. I like both of them a lot but I'd rather pay $3 million for Bonifacio considering all of the Giants payroll inaction.

Counter point. Zobrist reminds me of a pokemon.

Details of Ryan Howard's no-trade clause have come out. Howard cannot block trades to the following teams:

Tigers
Royals
Angels
Mariners
Yankees
Rangers
Rays
Orioles
Red Sox

The Phillies were previously in discussions with the Orioles to trade Howard & Marlon Byrd but the deal fell apart and Byrd ended up going to the Reds.

Top Bottom