• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Craig Biggio makes the Hall of Fame before Mike PIazza, let alone Barry Bonds? Thanks for my yearly reminder that the Hall of Fame is garbage, baseball writers.

Sanjuro

49 voters didn't vote for Pedro!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Only forgivable if they backtracked to Clemens/Bonds/Bags

MechDX

Craig Biggio?

Joke.

B6sFaC-CcAArRmn.jpg:large

Don't be a hater

Biggio was a good player who played for a very long time, but I can't ever remember thinking he was one of the 10 or so best players in baseball at any given time. Letting him in lowers the standard for the Hall of Fame (as if it's not tarnished enough as it is).

JABEE

Biggio was a good player who played for a very long time, but I can't ever remember thinking he was one of the 10 or so best players in baseball at any given time. Letting him in lowers the standard for the Hall of Fame (as if it's not tarnished enough as it is).

It's weird when he gets in over Bonds, Clemens, and Piazza.

I think Biggio clearly deserves to be in. He's obviously nowhere near as good as lots of guys who got shafted, but he's still an excellent player. As Joe Posnanski wrote, "Without 3,000 hits, I don’t think Biggio would have any shot at getting 75 percent of the BBWAA vote, though he would deserve it. Getting 3,000 hits has little to do with what made Craig Biggio a Hall of Fame player."

Basing HoF admission on whether they seemed like a Hall of Famer at the time is a pretty nebulous standard. There's a reason why they have the five-year waiting period -- it's so that a player's case can be considered in a more objective light, rather than just on how that player makes you feel. He had a pretty impressive peak in the late '90s, and his overall numbers ended up being pretty good too.

Vote totals, in case anyone's interested:
Randy Johnson 534 (97.3)
Pedro Martinez 500 (91.1)
John Smoltz 455 (82.9)
Craig Biggio 454 (82.7)
Mike Piazza 384 (69.9)
Jeff Bagwell 306 (55.7)
Tim Raines 302 (55)
Curt Schilling 215 (39.2)
Roger Clemens 206 (37.5)
Barry Bonds 202 (36.8)
Lee Smith 166 (30.2)
Edgar Martinez 148 (27)
Alan Trammell 138 (25.1)
Mike Mussina 135 (24.6)
Jeff Kent 77 (14)
Fred McGriff 71 (12.9)
Larry Walker 65 (11.8)
Gary Sheffield 64 (11.7)
Mark McGwire 55 (10)
Don Mattingly 50 (9.1)
Sammy Sosa 36 (6.6)
Nomar Garciaparra 30 (5.5)
Carlos Delgado 21 (3.8)
Troy Percival 4 (0.7)
Aaron Boone 2 (0.4)
Tom Gordon 2 (0.4)
Darin Erstad 1 (0.2)
Rich Aurilia 0 (0)
Tony Clark 0 (0)
Jermaine Dye 0 (0)
Cliff Floyd 0 (0)
Brian Giles 0 (0)
Eddie Guardado 0 (0)
Jason Schmidt 0 (0)

Obviously, though, the whole process is still a joke. The only way it'll change is if they drastically change who gets to vote and how they do it -- I like the binary voting idea, but I doubt they'll ever adopt that, since it's too good an idea and it reduces the amount of grandstanding writers would get to do every year.

Sanjuro

Clemens and Bonds being delayed really fucks things up. At this point there should be an extra innings vote process just to get them in.

Beyond that the system is broken anyway.

So the greatest hitting catcher ever to play isn't in the hall.

LOL

So Craig Biggio is in the hall, instead of the best hitter to ever exist, and the greatest pitcher of this era.

LOL

Pimpwerx

Plus, he played on the same team as Bags, who was someone many of us pegged as juicing back then. I'm surprised there's no guilt by association there. But yeah, his career, while long, was very unextraordinary. PEACE.

It's sort of a cruel, fucked up twist of fate, that Piazza and Bagwell hitting so many homeruns is what makes them, in part, Hall of Fame worthy, but also what makes them, in the eyes of some dumbass piece of shit writers, guilty of cheating.

And also still no Edgar, who was leagues better than Biggio and fuckers like Jim Rice? Fuck off, Hall of Fame.

Sanjuro

It's sort of a cruel, fucked up twist of fate, that Piazza and Bagwell hitting so many homeruns is what makes them, in part, Hall of Fame worthy, but also what makes them, in the eyes of some dumbass piece of shit writers, guilty of cheating.

"Son, he was the greatest bunter I'd ever seen."

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

The BWAA members are very much guilty of being hypocrites and having their cake and eating it too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
10% of baseball writers think he isn't a hall of famer

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2015/01/05/explaining-2015-hall-fame-ballot-2/

Thought this was a reasonable explanation as to why someone would leave off Pedro + Randy. Don't agree with it but I get it, if you think there are more than 10 guys who should be in right now then leave off the 2 who are slam dunks.

But even if there were 15 people who did this for both guys that would still leave 34 folks who didn't vote for Pedro which is still insane.

eznark

Banned
http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2015/01/05/explaining-2015-hall-fame-ballot-2/

Thought this was a reasonable explanation as to why someone would leave off Pedro + Randy. Don't agree with it but I get it, if you think there are more than 10 guys who should be in right now then leave off the 2 who are slam dunks.

But even if there were 15 people who did this for both guys that would still leave 34 folks who didn't vote for Pedro which is still insane.

That's idiotic and speaks to just how fucking dumb the process is.

Pimpwerx

I've heard that argument before, and it still makes no sense to me. You drop the two worst guys to leave room for the legacy votes, which are waster votes anyway. You vote for the slam dunks to honor their effort. The hall voter pool is full of self righteous idiots. PEACE.

I've heard that argument before, and it still makes no sense to me. You drop the two worst guys to leave room for the legacy votes, which are waster votes anyway. You vote for the slam dunks to honor their effort. The hall voter pool is full of self righteous idiots. PEACE.
:lol

nobody will remember vote totals a week from now

the (worthy) guys on the bubble need the votes more than the guys at the top

jakncoke

Banned
He was kind of a horrible person, but he had surprisingly impressive numbers. Not HoF-worthy by any stretch, but still pretty good, and he deserved votes more than players like Darin Erstad or Aaron Boone.

I just wanted to see him get a few votes like maybe 5 just because he made my life as a Pirates fan for his stretch with us a little more interesting during obvious years where we knew were were going to be well below .500 in June and firesale probably coming up in July

It is full of idiots, but that's a completely separate issue. Players drop off if they get less than 5%, and there are quite a few players at the lower end of the voting totals who either deserve to be in or merit strong consideraton. Just look at the guys who got less than 15%: Jeff Kent, Fred McGriff, Larry Walker, Gary Sheffield, Mark McGwire, Don Mattingly, Sammy Sosa, Nomar Garciaparra and Carlos Delgado. Not all of them deserve to be in the Hall, but at least two or three (maybe up to six or seven, depending on whether you're a Big/Small Hall believer) of them do. We've already seen guys like Kevin Brown and Kenny Lofton fall off the ballot because they didn't get 5%, so throwing votes to the non-inner circle players is perfectly legitimate.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I'd agree with this but as an example I thought Kenny Lofton deserved more of a look than he got, he's already off the ballot. The voting limit really wasn't an issue in the case of Lofton but as more and more guys don't get voted on because of steroids / the loosest accusations of steroids the logjam will get worse and worse.

Top Bottom