• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Biggio was a good player who played for a very long time, but I can't ever remember thinking he was one of the 10 or so best players in baseball at any given time. Letting him in lowers the standard for the Hall of Fame (as if it's not tarnished enough as it is).

but he was at least a top ten second baseman for his career.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
tumblr_nhrtwmkUjo1s6a3vbo1_1280.jpg

zychi

Banned
Can we just delete this shit HOF, and do a new one? Start from scratch. Do 6 month intervals of voting for a few years to catch back up? After 100 people are in, let the players vote, not fucking writers who never played a damn game in their life?

Can we just delete this shit HOF, and do a new one? Start from scratch. Do 6 month intervals of voting for a few years to catch back up? After 100 people are in, let the players vote, not fucking writers who never played a damn game in their life?

Have you seen who the Veterans Committee has let in? You wouldn't think it was possible, but the players are even worse at voting for the HoF than the writers.

Ah yes, those basement dwelling journalists that never played the game.

Enough HoF talk, let's get back to some real news:
The Giants’ 2015 rotation, already dotted with question marks, will have another as they start spring training in six weeks: the health of Tim Hudson’s right ankle.

The Giants revealed Tuesday that Hudson underwent surgery to remove bone spurs from the ankle Friday. Recovery time is eight weeks, which means Hudson is expected to be on restricted duty and behind the other starters when pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Feb. 18.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/SF-Giants-pitcher-Hudson-undergoes-ankle-5997424.php

So how about resigning Vogey?

Sanjuro

Both Johnson and Pedro I guess both have stated that Edgar Martinez was the toughest hitter they've ever faced. Kept hearing the sports radio guys harp on this.

Malo

Banned
Why? Let's be serious here. Drew isn't exactly blocking an elite prospect. Refsnyder needs work at second and despite good minor league numbers isn't really highly touted.
Because Drew is terrible and they could have used that money elsewhere. Even steamer projects Refsynder to be the better player.

Friggz

Because Drew is terrible and they could have used that money elsewhere. Even steamer projects Refsynder to be the better player.

he had a poor 2014 due to whatever reason. im sure missing half the year didnt help anything, with a full spring training under his belt, his 2013 would mostly top anything refs could do. And whatever better offense you think refs gives you on offense is going to be lost in his defense. Another year to mature at second isnt going to hurt anything.

and saying 5 million could be better used else where when referencing the yankees is laughable. they arent going after scherzer and i want nothing to do with shields. so i dont know where else it could be going to.

They spent little money for an upgrade and if need be they cut him if he stinks the place up.

If they gave Drew 10/15/20mm than yeah get upset, but it's 5mm. In the grand scheme of their payroll that's nothing. He'll have a full spring training with the team so things could be better.

aFIGurANT

STL may be chasing a top-end starter. I would do Gonzalez/Grichuk/Bourjos for Hamels. Maybe slot in one of CMart (although I really hope Mo holds on to him) and Piscotty if Amaro plays hardball.

Scherzer would also be really nice as insurance for Waino but I'd prefer the front office to stand pat and make a trade if someone (probably Wacha, maybe Wainwright and definitely Jaime (although we're not counting on him anyway)) gets hit with a major injury.

Nemss, LGY?

jakncoke

Banned
So, Gaby Sanchez going over to Japan on a 1 year 2.5 deal + incentives. Didnt think Japan salaries got that high. Is there any articles/sites on biggest japanese league contract/average salary?

STL may be chasing a top-end starter. I would do Gonzalez/Grichuk/Bourjos for Hamels. Maybe slot in one of CMart (although I really hope Mo holds on to him) and Piscotty if Amaro plays hardball.

Scherzer would also be really nice as insurance for Waino but I'd prefer the front office to stand pat and make a trade if someone (probably Wacha, maybe Wainwright and definitely Jaime (although we're not counting on him anyway)) gets hit with a major injury.

Nemss, LGY?
First time I've heard about their interest in Price. Not sure how legit the rumors are since Mozeliak trades don't seem to leak too often beforehand.

If two OFs are getting moved for Hamels/Price, they must really like Pham/Piscotty to step up this season. Or they're really gloomy on the health of Wainwright/Wacha.

aFIGurANT

First time I've heard about their interest in Price. Not sure how legit the rumors are since Mozeliak trades don't seem to leak too often beforehand.

If two OFs are getting moved for Hamels/Price, they must really like Pham/Piscotty to step up this season. Or they're really gloomy on the health of Wainwright/Wacha.

Yeah I have a bad feeling about staying healthy this year myself, so maybe it's worth it if we're only parting with Ramsey-level guys to Detroit. The division isn't so scary to me this year besides maybe the mystery factor of the Cubs. I'd rather we wait to see on the who/when with regard to injuries though. Starting the season without depth in crucial positions seems pretty dumb.

Yeah I have a bad feeling about staying healthy this year myself, so maybe it's worth it if we're only parting with Ramsey-level guys to Detroit. The division isn't so scary to me this year besides maybe the mystery factor of the Cubs. I'd rather we wait to see on the who/when with regard to injuries though. Starting the season without depth in crucial positions seems pretty dumb.
There's zero chance Price is being traded for Ramsey-level talent. Ramsey got us an injured Masterson, far from a LH ace that Price is. Never mind the fact that Detroit is in win-now mode and has little reason to move Price. That's partly why I'm surprised there's supposed interest in him from the Cards.

Between the Heyward trade and a hypothetical Price trade, that's a hefty all-in move that seems out of character for the organization. Both are slated to hit free agency after the season and I doubt they will pony up the $$$ to retain both of them.

If the Cards want an ace Hamels would be a great fit with his contract. I don't really see them trading for one year of a guy. Maybe they make a run at Shields as well.

MC Safety

Everybody keeps saying Sandy Alderson, the Mets' GM, is a savvy trader, but I get the sense he's going to give up one of his pitchers and get far too little in return.

It's just a bad feeling. And it's certainly not as if the Mets will be dramatically improved this year.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Everybody keeps saying Sandy Alderson, the Mets' GM, is a savvy trader, but I get the sense he's going to give up one of his pitchers and get far too little in return.

It's just a bad feeling. And it's certainly not as if the Mets will be dramatically improved this year.
He'll have to make a move first before he can screw one up.

aFIGurANT

There's zero chance Price is being traded for Ramsey-level talent. Ramsey got us an injured Masterson, far from a LH ace that Price is. Never mind the fact that Detroit is in win-now mode and has little reason to move Price. That's partly why I'm surprised there's supposed interest in him from the Cards.

Between the Heyward trade and a hypothetical Price trade, that's a hefty all-in move that seems out of character for the organization. Both are slated to hit free agency after the season and I doubt they will pony up the $$$ to retain both of them.

Smyly + Jackson is maybe = to Bourjos + Marco though, amirite? (I know I'm not).

Seriously though for one year of Price you'd be real stupid to let Dombrowski fleece you given how small the package was to land him with more than a year left on the contract.

Top Bottom