• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

devilhawk

Amazing that the most glaring managerial mistake was by far and away Buck Showalter's. Gordon getting the homer off the drop down? Buck may have cost the game there.

AJ Pierzynski? If there is any other reason to dislike the Cardinals right now.

AJ hits a deep fly to left field that would allow for a game-ending double play due to failed baserunning but the ball is instead called an infield fly and only one out is recorded keeping the inning alive in the bottom of the 9th. Molina comes up as a pinch-hitter and smashes a two-run home run. Cardinals win the world series. Molina's post-game speech talks about honoring baseball, respecting veteran players, and references the best fans in baseball at least twice per sentence.

See? Always more reasons to hate the Cards.

zulux21

so a couple of facts from the royals record breaking postseason

Of the previous 13 teams that won Game 1 of an LCS matchup in extra innings, all 13 have gone on to win that series. The Royals, who on Friday night became the first team to win four extra-inning games in a single postseason.

The Royals clubbed two more homers in the 10th inning. After hitting just one extra-inning homer in the entire regular season, the Royals now have four over their first five postseason games. They are the first team in history to hit four extra-inning homers in a single postseason. In fact, only three teams -- the Yankees (11), Red Sox (7) and Braves (6) -- have hit more such home runs in all postseasons combined.

wrap your head around that one... think about how many post seasons the yankees have been in... and the fact they only have 11 extra inning home runs in the post season... and the royals already have 4... a team who didn't even hit 100 in the regular season.

Teams that win Game 1 in the LCS are 56-32 all-time when it comes to winning that series. When the road team wins Game 1 as the Royals did on Friday night, that team has gone on to advance to the World Series 27 out of 42 times.

more facts can be found here

Royals won again? Holy shit.

I want to cheer for them as they are in the same division but I also want to cry to see them doing better than the Tigers.

And if they beat the Orioles, the team that swept the Tigers, and win it all? Huge kick in the balls as a fan of a team who's been contending for a number of years with nothing to show for.

Gotta be a lot of games like this. Lot of back off the rotation arms in this series. Plus they aren't going to swing at everything that moves towards home plate like Hamilton.

I don't care who wins as long as it's Baltimore or Kansas City, lol

Then again, even then, I won't be upset. I only really watch baseball for the Blue Jays. I'm more of a Blue Jays fan than a baseball fan.

I doubt I'll even watch a full game of the playoffs.

zychi

Banned
Royals won again? Holy shit.

I want to cheer for them as they are in the same division but I also want to cry to see them doing better than the Tigers.

And if they beat the Orioles, the team that swept the Tigers, and win it all? Huge kick in the balls as a fan of a team who's been contending for a number of years with nothing to show for.

I'll never understand this thought process in any sport.

OOO the Packers made the playoffs, as a Bears fan I'm going to root for them!

No. Stop it. You shouldn't root for a team in your division, ever.

zroid

Banned

There are multiple angles to see it from. If the best team is from your division, then your team doesn't have to feel as bad about losing to them. Then again, it means your rivals are even better which suggests it might be a harder road to get past them next year.

In other words, people can cheer for whomever the fuck they want to in the playoffs :p

zulux21

I like a number of teams from the white sox division...
beyond that though the royals winning the world series means that the white sox will get a little extra revenue next year, as they play 9-10 games at home against them and games against last years world series champ always sell better than games against KC royals :p

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I could never root for another NLE team, but that's mostly because they're all awful. Loria, the Wilpons, Amaro+Philadelphia, and Bryce Harper? Nah

It would make what a lot call a terrible division, relevant

Fox318

Baseball because of the original division between the leagues is more common to root for adversaries.

Most-watched game of 2014 #Postseason involves smallest markets in #ALCS history - 5.9 million viewers for #Royals #Orioles Game 1.
From MLB official twitter.

TV ratings have been solid all playoffs. #baseballaintdead

JDHarbs

Most-watched game of 2014 #Postseason involves smallest markets in #ALCS history - 5.9 million viewers for #Royals #Orioles Game 1.

Anybody with at least basic cable gets TBS so they've been able to follow both teams for all of their games. It doesn't help that the NL games are on a channel that most don't get.

BFIB

Until tonight!

Go Cards!

Top Bottom