• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

He only has a .040 OPS difference in his major league splits

He was without a doubt the best option but Matheny thinks you have to go righty-on-lefty (but somehow doesn't think this with regard to his pitching changes)
He's far more talented than Cruz but there's no way Matheny is going against the platoon with a guy who hasn't proven anything at the major league level. The whole reason AJ is on the roster is so Cruz can PH without burning the backup catcher.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
He only has a .040 OPS difference in his major league splits

He was without a doubt the best option but Matheny thinks you have to go righty-on-lefty (but somehow doesn't think this with regard to his pitching changes) even when the righty is Tony Cruz

And he has a whopping 45 PAs against LHPs to back that split up.

He's far more talented than Cruz but there's no way Matheny is going against the platoon with a guy who hasn't proven anything at the major league level. The whole reason AJ is on the roster is so Cruz can PH without burning the backup catcher.

I would've thought it was the other way around since A.J. is actually an OK hitter.

(Cruz had a 24 wRC+ vs LHP this season. Oscar had a still terrible 58, but better than Cruz.)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really like this alt-broadcast of the game tonight. I've been a baseball fan my entire life and I've learned so much more about the game and the statistics that drive it in these past few hours. I hope the broadcast does well in ratings I'd love to have more of these types of broadcasts.

Adams had the worst swings all night against Bumgarner, can't believe he got some hrs against Kershaw
He got the one HR off a fat hanging curveball from a tiring pitcher. Albeit, a really good pitcher.

Unfortunately, the Giants' bullpen doesn't suck as much as the Dodgers one does.

Hoping tonight was more about Bumgarner dominating and less of the Cardinals lineup reverting back to its suckiness.

aFIGurANT

I really like this alt-broadcast of the game tonight. I've been a baseball fan my entire life and I've learned so much more about the game and the statistics that drive it in these past few hours. I hope the broadcast does well in ratings I'd love to have more of these types of broadcasts.

Yeah that was good stuff once they established what some of the stats were that they kept quoting. I especially enjoyed hearing a guy like Bud Black break down some of their logic, saying that a lot depends on context when you're managing a game.

The future for the sport hopefully includes more guys in broadcasting booths that at least understand and respect some of these numbers on a basic level. I wouldn't even mind having bigger booths so that you could present a few different perspectives over the course of a game. What does the rest of GAF think of the broadcast?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Watched the game in these candlestick seats.

E3yacoZl.jpg

Nice, I have some of the old seats from Kauffman like that (they renovated in 2002 or so).

Also, I wasn't in a good place to post during the Royals game, so a delayed OMG

Top Bottom