• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

You can't end your season without using your best pitcher in high leverage like that. It's abysmal.

the guy who compared it to not using kimbrel in the nlds last year

the braves were leading in that game.. so i understand

maybe they should have gone rosenthal for 2 .. idk

i can't speak for him but i know dodgers closer jansen was always shakey when asked to get more than 3 outs

BFIB

the guy who compared it to not using kimbrel in the nlds last year

the braves were leading in that game.. so i understand

maybe they should have gone rosenthal for 2 .. idk

i can't speak for him but i know dodgers closer jansen was always shakey when asked to get more than 3 outs

First off, your making me and eznark agree. Which just cannot happen. :)

Second, Matheny was clearly playing for a long extra inning affair, instead of going for whatever it took to get to the next half inning. He refused to remove Wacha after the walk to Belt, and at that point, its over. Matheny has it in his head that Bochy is lifting Ishikawa for a PH, but who cares? Odds are that next person is bunting too. It still served no justice to leave Wacha in at that point.

Matheny: Putting Wacha in that situation is on me.

Well, I certainly hope he takes some lessons away from this series. I know hindsight is 50/50, but he's been "shooting from the hip" with these types of decisions for a while. His stubbornness and refusal to know when to take a guy off the mound has to be addressed. I like Matheny, and I think he's going to be a terrific manager, but Wacha should have never even gotten a whiff of that game, or any game since he wasn't used at all in the NLDS, or up to that point in the NLCS.
It's almost like hiring a guy with zero professional managing experience to be a MLB manager would bring about growing pains as he is forced to learn on the job.

His bunting fetish has tapered somewhat since that first season so hopefully he learns how to manage the bullpen in postseason games soon.

see5harp

The difference in bullpen management did stand out. Even when we were behind, Bochy was not afraid to bring in guys in back to back to back games to get single outs. Affeldt, Romo, and Casilla all pitched multiple games in a row and I think Affeldt and Casilla were in all three home games.

BFIB

It's almost like hiring a guy with zero professional managing experience to be a MLB manager would bring about growing pains as he is forced to learn on the job.

His bunting fetish has tapered somewhat since that first season so hopefully he learns how to manage the bullpen in postseason games soon.

It really does seem like this team won despite his in game decision making, rather than because of it.

I know Matheny is getting the bashing today, and a lot of its deserved. But the 3-4-5 hitters did not come up in the big spots they should have, so I think that's also being overlooked. The Giants are the Cards Kryptonite, and they just fold when they face off.

JDHarbs

I need a rep from GiantsGAF to give me a hand with this World Series OT.

Hell yes he his. His story makes this year all the sweeter.

yeah, his first visit was right around when i finally started paying attention to the Royals this season. his story is so amazing and the fact that KC is embracing him makes me love this city so much more.
So glad to hear this. Both he and this team deserve to be part of a World Series.

95% of MLB managers would make the same stupid bull pen decisions sadly. It's why the difference between a good and bad manager is almost negligible.

BFIB

I can't believe we got so lucky with the bochy hire seven years ago. The guy is hall of fame bound.

Very underrated, even with the 2 WS wins. The Giants pretty much beat the Cards at every level. Bochy had an answer for everything, whereas our bats went silent, and late game decisions we looked amateur.

Askani

Was he there when the royals swept the giants during the season or was that after?
i think he'd either just left or was at the tail-end of his stay, but either way, we have our good-luck charm for at least game one and i'm excited as hell

He was in town August the 5th. We swept the Diamondbacks the 5th, 6th and 7th. His first in-person game was the second of the Giants series. He was at the stadium for the last two games of that sweep and for two of the three games we won in the four game A's series right behind it.

So for those counting, that's 9 and 1 with two sweeps while he was "stateside", one of those being against the Giants.

I can't believe we got so lucky with the bochy hire seven years ago. The guy is hall of fame bound.
Even beyond the in-game decisions, I'm sure Bochy should get some credit for his players being so fundamentally sound and ready to play. Those were the two areas in which the Cards couldn't keep up with the Giants.

kris.

Banned
He was in town August the 5th. We swept the Diamondbacks the 5th, 6th and 7th. His first in-person game was the second of the Giants series. He was at the stadium for the last two games of that sweep and for two of the three games we won in the four game A's series right behind it.

So for those counting, that's 9 and 1 with two sweeps while he was "stateside", one of those being against the Giants.

oh wow, so he was here a lot longer than i realized.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Every other major sporting event has had a championship thread in OT, so make one over there. Break out from the Community basement!

Like those other threads have went though, that means an influx of casuals and bandwagons!

Askani

2014 World Series |OT| To the pain: NL's Giant Pain vs AL's Royal Pain

"And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it."

"WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing only Wild Card teams in the World Series will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at their approach, every lifelong who cries out, "Dear God! Where is that division winner," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish small-ball misery all off season."

JDHarbs

MLB 2014 World Series |OT| 29 years in the making
MLB 2014 World Series |OT| How to convert a Cards fan
MLB 2014 World Series |OT| Destiny Awaits
MLB 2014 World Series |OT| The I-70/I-470/I-25/I-80 Series
MLB 2014 World Series |OT| Where All-Star Games Matter
MLB 2014 World Series |OT| Let's Get Wild

World Series |OT| Let's do it for Uggla

Going get Uggla in here..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dynasty doesn't really apply to a team that not only doesn't win in odd years, but can't even make the playoffs in those years. More like Devil Magic vs Destiny.

Harry's thread idea works well too.

The rings are the thing. Otherwise, you'd just be the Braves.

Top Bottom