• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

jman2050

mattingly has learned entirely too much torre. what a terrible manager.

Torre did some unfathomably dumb things (batting A-Rod 8th lololol) but even I don't think he'd outright bench his best player in an elimination game and use him as a pinch RUNNER with the game on the line.

aFIGurANT

GG Dodgers, take good care of Kershaw in the off season because he's legit. Next time pitch him in non-clinchers? Because that's a lot of weight to carry two years in a row.

Meanwhile that's the most subdued Budweiser celebration ever, I like it though, the road keeps going from here.

6-1 lead in Game 1. That will haunt me forever. I left work with the score 6-1, and was sitting in LA traffic as the nightmare unfolded. Worst drive of my life.

Maddocks

I'm still proud of the dodgers, shame we couldn't go farther but that is what happens when you don't have a solid pen. No blame on kersh, he came through when it mattered and he got us here in a sense, without him we wouldn't even have been in the playoffs probably.

See yall next year.

Dodgers fans feel dumb relying on Yankee knowledge to save us

payback for destroying the rivalry.

as a yankees fan that watched every game of his tenure. i beg to differ.

we all watched the games, you're choosing to remember things differently.we'll leaev it at that. every single manager does dumb things, it's almost a part of Baseball but Mattingly just did not give his team a chance to win. he panicked and made dumb moves as a result. he also doesn't have much of a bullpen so that didn't help.

I can't even imagine the outrage if it had been Puig to dance around like an idiot after a 7th inning home run.

no fun allowed!

BFIB

Good series Doyers-GAF. Basically this series came down to 3 swings. Cards slip by, now we all await the Giants in the NLCS because even year reasons.

aFIGurANT

To people second-guessing Mattingly: at some point you need the players to take responsibility for their play too. Maybe Don affected the odds negatively, but it's not like guys like Baez don't have a place on a big-league roster as we saw tonight. Sometimes you have to let the sport of the whole thing take-over and accept that dudes will get lit sometimes.

Like Rosenthal for instance? I would be wrecked if he blew the game tonight but at the same time I don't think that Neshek should be throwing two innings every night either. Maybe C-Mart can get something going but maybe he can't, either. It comes down to trusting a guy to hit or pitch better than his opposition.

zroid

Banned
Good series Doyers-GAF. Basically this series came down to 3 swings. Cards slip by, now we all await the Giants in the NLCS because even year reasons.

Not to mention those two hits before the HR barely got by the infielders. Pretty sure both made contact with their gloves!

Baseball™

zychi

Banned
I honestly take that compliment highly. :)

N8JPy2i.png

BFIB

To people second-guessing Mattingly: at some point you need the players to take responsibility for their play too. Maybe Don affected the odds negatively, but it's not like guys like Baez don't have a place on a big-league roster as we saw tonight. Sometimes you have to let the sport of the whole thing take-over and accept that dudes will get lit sometimes.

Like Rosenthal for instance? I would be wrecked if he blew the game tonight but at the same time I don't think that Neshek should be throwing two innings every night either. Maybe C-Mart can get something going but maybe he can't, either. It comes down to trusting a guy to hit or pitch better than his opposition.

I think the two things that Mattingly is going to be questioned for, and rightly so, is not starting Turner in at least one of the games, especially with Uribe not playing well, and bullpen management, which has been the one part of the Dodgers that's suspect. No doubt about it, the Cards got lucky that the Dodgers were caught off kilter on offense. This series easily could have went in the other direction.

EDIT: I can't stop staring at zychi's gif.

aFIGurANT

I think the two things that Mattingly is going to be questioned for, and rightly so, is not starting Turner in at least one of the games, especially with Uribe not playing well, and bullpen management, which has been the one part of the Dodgers that's suspect. No doubt about it, the Cards got lucky that the Dodgers were caught off kilter on offense. This series easily could have went in the other direction.

It was a close one, and yeah that will make it seem more likely that a different move would have yielded a result that might have given the Dodgers the W, but second-guessing all this minutia seems sort of anti-sporting. I like baseball because you can question a manager/GM but at this point you stand on the merits of the team you're fielding. Maybe the Puig benching gets around this because he wasn't put out there but otherwise it's sort of everyone's fault, not just Donny Baseball imo.

Nobody is saying that the Cardinals didn't play their asses off, they did. Dodgers offense stunk the entire series with RISP. Nobody is denying any of that. The team played badly.

The problem is when you don't have the absolute pleasure to sit through an entire year every single season and watch this guy manage. I've had enough. The entire Dodgers fanbase has had enough. It's time for Don to go. We aren't going to a World Series with him on board. It just isn't possible.

Nobody is saying that the Cardinals didn't play their asses off, they did. Dodgers offense stunk the entire series with RISP. Nobody is denying any of that. The team played badly.

The problem is when you don't have the absolute pleasure to sit through an entire year every single season and watch this guy manage. I've had enough. The entire Dodgers fanbase has had enough. It's time for Don to go. We aren't going to a World Series with him on board. It just isn't possible.

Would you trade Mattingly for Mike Matheny straight up?

aFIGurANT

Yeah I can't say I envy watching however many wins slip away and then see more happen in postseason play, that's for sure. But at the end of today which calls do you think he really dropped the ball on? Just using Howell and Baez and the benching of Puig? Or is it more endemic than that?

It's a shame Kershaw is going to catch so much shit about "choking" when the shit should really fall on Mattingly and Coletti (how do you have a $200 million payroll and not have the resources to develop a half decent reliever outside of Jansen?). You can say that guys didn't perform but that shouldn't let Maggintly off the hook. He knew how bad the bullpen was yet still went to them rather than trusting his starters. He knew how well Turner had played but refused to play him over Uribe or Crawford. The Puig benching is the best example yet that Mattingly is just another chump who prefers to manage with his "gut" rather than using evidence. Mattingly bought into the narrative. Oh he struck out 7 straight times! He's too young and hot tempered! He's moody and uncontrollable! Forget the fact that he's actually been one of the few good offensive performers and the numbers bear that out, let me sit him for a guy with a .600 OBP who is not even replacement level because...baseball reasons. Both guys should be fired before the team plane lands back in LA.

Yeah I can't say I envy watching however many wins slip away and then see more happen in postseason play, that's for sure. But at the end of today which calls do you think he really dropped the ball on? Just using Howell and Baez and the benching of Puig? Or is it more endemic than that?
Benching of Puig (even though I stupidly called for the same thing last night) and not utilizing one of the best offensive weapons from the end of the year in Justin Turner until an absolute pressure moment with the season on the line. The bullpen is what it is. They're all shaky as hell.

Fox318

It's a shame Kershaw is going to catch so much shit about "choking" when the shit should really fall on Mattingly and Coletti (how do you have a $200 million payroll and not have the resources to develop a half decent reliever outside of Jansen?). You can say that guys didn't perform but that shouldn't let Maggintly off the hook. He knew how bad the bullpen was yet still went to them rather than trusting his starters. He knew how well Turner had played but refused to play him over Uribe or Crawford. The Puig benching is the best example yet that Mattingly is just another chump who prefers to manage with his "gut" rather than using evidence. Mattingly bought into the narrative. Oh he struck out 7 straight times! He's too young and hot tempered! He's moody and uncontrollable! Forget the fact that he's actually been one of the few good offensive performers and the numbers bear that out, let me sit him for a guy with a .600 OBP who is not even replacement level because...baseball reasons. Both guys should be fired before the team plane lands back in LA.

Did they put Brian Wilson out there?

Nobody would have been able to handle his 82 mph fastball.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It will definitely be interesting to see what, if anything, they do to address the bullpen in the offseason.

Top Bottom