• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Phillies accidentally traded prospect in 2011 Hunter Pence deal:

At this writing, Astros outfield prospect Domingo Santana is batting .297/.374/.493 as a 21-year-old in Triple-A. That good production comes after a 2013 campaign in which he slugged .498 with 25 homers as a 20-year-old in Double-A. In other words, Santana is becoming a potentially important part of Houston's rebuild.

The Astros acquired Santana as part of the 2011 trade in which they sent Hunter Pence to the Phillies. Houston also landed Jon Singleton and Jarred Cosart in that same deal. So it's turning out to be pretty costly for the Phils and GM Ruben Amaro.

Why are we talking about this trade almost three years later? Well, here's this most interesting recent nugget from Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle ...

Less than two months after they picked George Springer from the University of Connecticut, the Astros sent Pence and cash to the Phillies on July 29, 2011, for Cosart, Singleton, Zeid and a player to be named, which ended up being Santana. In spring training, a Phillies official admitted that Santana wasn't actually supposed to be on the list that was given to the Astros to pick from to satisfy the final piece on Aug. 15, 2011.

Woof. So, by virtue of front-office oversight or clerical error or a game of telephone, Santana wound up on the list of players from which the Astros could choose the final piece of their haul. As Ortiz writes, he wasn't supposed to be on that list. He was, subsequently and wisely, chosen by the Astros. That's ... remarkable.

The Phillies, you see, are quite possibly not a well run organization these days.

lol phils

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
But Heyman said they didn't get much from the Pence trade!

lolz

Though, I wonder how much of that is them trying to save their asses from making the deal look the steal of the century.

MC Safety

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_06_07_nynmlb_sfnmlb_1&mode=recap_away&c_id=nym

"The Mets gathered in the visitors' clubhouse at AT&T Park about two hours prior to Saturday's game to discuss the state of their team. Manager Terry Collins spoke. Captain David Wright spoke. Veteran Curtis Granderson spoke. They talked about how the season is long, and things, for the Mets, are not as bad as they seem."

What I take away from this is that the Mets are delusional as they are terrible.

cashman

Banned
Wow another injury for the Rangers. Mitch Moreland is going to miss the rest of the season with ankle reconstruction surgery.

Parch

OK, St. Louis is pretty good. They just needed their offence to start heating up.

They can just toddle off back to the NL and let the Blue Jays continue to dominate the AL.

Macattk15

I swear Cano. If you don't do something fucking positive here ...

edit : Damnit. Hit it hard. He still has not come through in a big situation yet.

Felix with 11 K's in 5 IP now.

jakncoke

Banned
He's on the Disabled List now, so he's going to miss at least two starts -_-

Yeah shit sucks, and even though Locke has pitched really well today, I feel a meltdown soon

Also lol phillies

edit; jesus christ the amount of people we strand on base

harSon

Banned
Yeah shit sucks, and even though Locke has pitched really well today, I feel a meltdown soon

Also lol phillies

They're calling it precautionary, but the situation is really reminiscent of Taillon. I had zero confidence in Locke's start today, especially since he's struggled in AAA, but he was damn good today.

Edit: And our ability to strand loaded bases with 0-1 outs is pretty impressive. It amazes me that we can never seem to even get a sac fly in these situations.

Yo Orioles, you have the most bitch made player in the Mlb on your team, Machado. I don't wish an injury on anyone but whatever injury that dude sustains on the field, I'd laugh at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom