• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

You watching the game? Kb says he likes center, Fowler can play all 3 spots. I use the same argument i do with russ and castro. Put the worse fguy in the position hes most comfortable in.

If Kris Bryant could play CF competently, he would have played it in the minors

He's not going to be a star defensively anywhere (maybe not even average), so you want to put him where his defense hurts the game the least which is probably LF

Would love it if Maddon kept him in CF though. Reminds me of when TLR would start random players in CF (Allen Craig started 5 games in CF in 2011!)

carlos

well at least the braves sucking is going to give me a lot of free time this year...
GG, Mets; for what it's worth, I hope you take the division and not the Nats

stop it Mets. Stop.

k0KzJqU.jpg

Tehran just can't locate his slider today.

Gonna be a fun one. :D

If Kris Bryant could play CF competently, he would have played it in the minors

He's not going to be a star defensively anywhere (maybe not even average), so you want to put him where his defense hurts the game the least which is probably LF

Would love it if Maddon kept him in CF though. Reminds me of when TLR would start random players in CF (Allen Craig started 5 games in CF in 2011!)

Lol no. Players play different positions in the Minors than they will in the Majors all the time.

No, I'm not saying he'll magically be a great CF, but saying he can't play it at a replacement level because he never did in the minors is silly.

This is the worst fucking rule. We're just supposed to let him score. This is ridiculous. There is no fucking stupid ass reason to EVER let someone score. But oh noez Buster Posey got hurt once so we have to take this out of the game and just let people score.

What? You're lucky Recker didn't get his ankle snapped off when you look at the replay. Great fucking rule.

It's idiocy. This is baseball. Contact at the plate is normal. You can slide into guys and run into them at all three bases (as evidenced by Brett Lawrie) so why is the plate special? Because Buster Posey got hurt.

One guy gets hurt a year, maybe, on collisions at the plate.

The rule making it so you have to let someone SCORE? That's absolutely idiotic on every level.

Lol no. Players play different positions in the Minors than they will in the Majors all the time.

No, I'm not saying he'll magically be a great CF, but saying he can't play it at a replacement level because he never did in the minors is silly.

It has nothing to do with just the fact that he didn't play in CF in the minors (plenty of players who couldn't play CF have played CF in the minor leagues, like Matt Holliday)

If he could play CF he would have played it if for no other reason than the fact that power from that position is extremely rare and someone in the organization would obviously want that. Clearly that is not the case (and his scouting reports reflect that)

I'm sure Bryant will do a great job of standing in CF, though. Players can play any position they're told, just maybe not well! Ike Davis pitched in a game of baseball just last week

So now all of baseball suffers because the jackass Cousins launches himself into Posey like a cruise missile?

My dad's gonna hate this. He's already pissed that Pete Rose isn't in the hall.

It's been a rule since last year.

Hated it then. Hate it now. And I'm rip shit furious every time it's called.

It's idiocy. This is baseball. Contact at the plate is normal. You can slide into guys and run into them at all three bases (as evidenced by Brett Lawrie) so why is the plate special? Because Buster Posey got hurt.

One guy gets hurt a year, maybe, on collisions at the plate.

The rule making it so you have to let someone SCORE? That's absolutely idiotic on every level.

No it's not. It's fantastic. If Recker would've had his ankle snapped there and he could've avoided it because of the rule, you wouldn't be saying this. It cuts down on collisions and therefore lowers the risk for injury. I like it and you still have plays at the plate as evidenced right here.

Also, that sliding into the 2nd base stuff trying to break up a double play also annoys the hell out of me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait, you can't collide with the catcher anymore? What kind of sawft ass shit is this?

It has nothing to do with just the fact that he didn't play in CF in the minors (plenty of players who couldn't play CF have played CF in the minor leagues, like Matt Holliday)

If he could play CF he would have played it if for no other reason than the fact that power from that position is extremely rare and someone in the organization would obviously want that. Clearly that is not the case (and his scouting reports reflect that)

I'm sure Bryant will do a great job of standing in CF, though. Players can play any position they're told, just maybe not well! Ike Davis pitched in a game of baseball just last week

The Cubs are stacked to the gills with CF prospects. They are very high on Alcantra (or were until he couldn't hit this year yet). It makes sense that they wanted to bring up Bryant as a power 3B, a position where they do not have a lot of major league level depth.

It's been a rule since last year.
Hated it then. Hate it now. And I'm rip shit furious every time it's called.

I can only see more injuries resulting out of the Posey rule just because of the uncomfortable positions catchers will have to put themselves in to make a play at the plate.

Also, that sliding into the 2nd base stuff trying to break up a double play also annoys the hell out of me.

get-out-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-192.gif

No it's not. It's fantastic. If Recker would've had his ankle snapped there and he could've avoided it because of the rule, you wouldn't be saying this. It cuts down on collisions and therefore lowers the risk for injury. I like it and you still have plays at the plate as evidenced right here.

It's not fantastic. Players get hurt. That's baseball. You can't just take a play out of baseball because you're afraid players get hurt. Recker could have snapped his ankle, sure, but he didn't. You can't just make changes THIS BROAD to the game because something could happen. Buster Posey got hurt, that's the only reason this is a rule. If Anthony Recker was the one that got hurt then, would anybody care? No, just like nobody cared about the guys other than Posey on charges at the plate all the time.

But suddenly a name brand player gets hurt and we have to change it "for the betterment of the game" when really it's just giving someone a free pass to score.

If it wasn't the difference between someone SCORING A RUN or not I'd feel a lot different.

It's not fantastic. Players get hurt. That's baseball. You can't just take a play out of baseball because you're afraid players get hurt. Recker could have snapped his ankle, sure, but he didn't. You can't just make changes THIS BROAD to the game because something could happen. Buster Posey got hurt, that's the only reason this is a rule. If Anthony Recker was the one that got hurt then, would anybody care? No, just like nobody cared about the guys other than Posey on charges at the plate all the time.

But suddenly a name brand player gets hurt and we have to change it "for the betterment of the game" when really it's just giving someone a free pass to score.

If it wasn't the difference between someone SCORING A RUN or not I'd feel a lot different.

The point of a star player getting hurt and therefore introducing a rule is indeed just plain stupid. I agree. But you can count me as one of the people on board with the new rule.

It's not like they eliminate the collisions. It's just that the catcher can't block the plate before he has the ball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/awards/y2014/faceofmlb/

The MLB is going to protect it's investment. The fans love Posey, so Posey will be protected for the better of the game.

It's a bad rule in the long term that makes plays at the plate much more difficult than they have to be.

It's just that the catcher can't block the plate before he has the ball.

So positioning wise, where should he be if a player rounds Third to score? Closer to First? Near the Pitching Mound?

• A runner may not run out of a direct line to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher, or any player, covering the plate. If he does, the umpire can call him out even if the player taking the throw loses possession of the ball.

• The catcher may not block the pathway of a runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball. If the catcher blocks the runner before he has the ball, the umpire may call the runner safe.

• All calls will be based on the umpire's judgment. The umpire will consider such factors as whether the runner made an effort to touch the plate and whether he lowered his shoulder or used his hands, elbows or arms when approaching the catcher.

• Runners are not required to slide, and catchers in possession of the ball are allowed to block the plate. However, runners who do slide and catchers who provide the runner with a lane will never be found in violation of the rule.

• The expanded instant replay rules, which also go into effect this season, will be available to review potential violations of Rule 7.13.

The rule does not address proper positioning as so not to violate it.

The point of a star player getting hurt and therefore introducing a rule is indeed just plain stupid. I agree. But you can count me as one of the people on board with the new rule.

It's not like they eliminate the collisions. It's just that the catcher can't block the plate before he has the ball.

Which is basically deeding them a run.

And I mean, they even got the call wrong. Look at how many steps he had to the plate when Recker catches the ball, how is Recker supposed to make a play at the plate without standing there?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/awards/y2014/faceofmlb/

The MLB is going to protect it's investment. The fans love Posey, so Posey will be protected for the better of the game.

It's a bad rule in the long term that makes plays at the plate much more difficult than they have to be.

So positioning wise, where should he be if a player rounds Third to score? Closer to First? Near the Pitching Mound?

The rule does not address proper positioning as so not to violate it.

They can't say where he has to be positioned precisely, because there isn't 1 direct lane a runner takes towards HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJYgzV8qf8
Perfect positioning.

Caja 117

So, can someone tell me the best and cheapest way to see the games if the team is not from my City, Im currently living in Mass and I want to see all the Yankees and Dodgers game in the season.? is cable service provider have any package for stuff like that?

The Cubs are stacked to the gills with CF prospects. They are very high on Alcantra (or were until he couldn't hit this year yet). It makes sense that they wanted to bring up Bryant as a power 3B, a position where they do not have a lot of major league level depth.

This is maybe the first time I've heard that the Cubs have a glut of outfield prospects (at least MLB-ready or close to it) rather than infield prospects, but ok

Did Hurdle let Locke bat for himself and then not even have him pitch the next inning? I wasn't paying too much attention

So, can someone tell me the best and cheapest way to see the games if the team is not from my City, Im currently living in Mass and I want to see all the Yankees and Dodgers game in the season.? is cable service provider have any package for stuff like that?
MLB.TV. Its $120 for the season. You can watch all out of market games. They just announced a discount for students and veterans yesterday as well. It's so worth it though. One of the best and most feature full services out there. You can watch it on a bunch of devices including PS4.

This is maybe the first time I've heard that the Cubs have a glut of outfield prospects (at least MLB-ready or close to it) rather than infield prospects, but ok

Did Hurdle let Locke bat for himself and then not even have him pitch the next inning? I wasn't paying too much attention

I didn't say OF prospects. I said CF prospects. Which they do. Almora, Alcantra, Hannemann. Plus Fowler in the bigs and Szczur as his back-up. There are a lot of bodies there. Not any other top 20 guys in your system at 3B other than Bryant.

Yeah cause that's a natural position right there. Totally didn't screw us up earlier in the year on that Ichiro call.

At least the umps are reviewing plays at the plate now as a result of this rule.

Instant Replay began in 08' IIRC. The umps used to never review plays before then.

Or the other video I posted. Throw came from the same angle as in the Mets game today.

If it prevents injuries, all the more power.

zychi

Banned
MLB.TV. Its $120 for the season. You can watch all out of market games. They just announced a discount for students and veterans yesterday as well. It's so worth it though. One of the best and most feature full services out there. You can watch it on a bunch of devices including PS4.

also hola unblocker or unlocator to get around blackouts

Top Bottom