• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

If the Reds were smart they'd trade everyone of value

Walt Jocketty is their GM, so they probably won't

The turn-around on prospects is much faster than it used to be. If you think you got a good player who will still be good and willing to play for your org in two years, you don't need to jump the gun.

The turn-around on prospects is much faster than it used to be. If you think you got a good player who will still be good and willing to play for your org in two years, you don't need to jump the gun.

I think you could get some MLB-ready players for Cueto, Chapman, etc and actually field a pretty good team in 2016

Nothing will save the Reds from the Votto contract, though, unless they somehow dump that

aFIGurANT

I think you could get some MLB-ready players for Cueto, Chapman, etc and actually field a pretty good team in 2016

Nothing will save the Reds from the Votto contract, though, unless they somehow dump that

Agreed. Look at Atlanta...you could almost argue they are already a better team just by dumping the Heyward/Kimbrel/Upton trio. And all that pitching is locked up for at least three years (I think Miller will be the first to FA after 2018).

HeySeuss

They won't get much for Cueto because he's a free agent at the end of the year. He's a rent a player.

They won't get much for Cueto because he's a free agent at the end of the year. He's a rent a player.

I'm not even sure if this is the case with the (relatively) new wild card system. If it's a competitive market, you might get something nicer than expected for a top-5 NL pitcher like Cueto.

Protip: The Celebrity Softball Game is secretly the best part of All Star Week

I'm not even sure if this is the case with the (relatively) new wild card system. If it's a competitive market, you might get something nicer than expected for a top-5 NL pitcher like Cueto.

His elbow issue definitely lowers his trade value, but Jon Lester got a year and a half of Cespedes so maybe that's a rough approximate

HeySeuss

Eh maybe. That's the best we can hope for is to get a bidding war between contenders. Still though I wouldn't expect anything more than a couple prospects and a draft pick.

zroid

Banned

He will fetch a lot. It's definitely going to be a seller's market, largely because there are just so many buyers, and the prices will escalate. Especially in the AL.

If you listen to Toronto sports talk radio (which I do), they won't shut up about what they'll need to give up to get Cueto

The first round was the most exciting.

By the last round, we kinda knew Frazier could do it. But that first round? It looked like he ran into a terrible draw and it was impossible to come back. We didn't know what to expect in the new format and when Frazier pulled it off the place went NUTS.

Remember, last year, he just barely slinked by and got humiliated in the last round. Who would have imagined? That's the heart of a champion. Don't go, Todd...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I dunno how it came across on TV, but the Derby was a blast live, especially with the new format.

I was very close to going but the wife gave me the biggest side eye of my life when I told her the ticket price. Should of divorced and went. Fuckit.

The guy selling the ticket wanted 700 so it's probably for the best I didn't go. But then again..... to see my boy Todd win in person would have been worth it. He was clutch as fuck.

That's the heart of a champion. Don't go, Todd...

I hope he is a Red forever. Bruce can pack his shit. I'd rather they deal Leake than Cueto but that's not happening. Hell Cueto likely isn't going anywhere. Jockety is perfectly content being stuck in the mud. If he deals Chappy I'm BURNING DOWN HIS HOUSE!! Also, welcome back Vas. Or maybe you've been back I've been missing from the MLB thread bc I was sick of talking to myself, being the only reds fan.

Meier

Don't really care about the ASB so I missed all those Joc Jamz last night. Sounds like he had a tough draw with no rest before the final but I'll have to dig up a highlight video. I did see the end of Pujols' AB where he squeezed by with a second left to beat Kris Bryant -- that was pretty cool.

tim1138

I was very close to going but the wife gave me the biggest side eye of my life when I told her the ticket price. Should of divorced and went. Fuckit.

The guy selling the ticket wanted 700 so it's probably for the best I didn't go. But then again..... to see my boy Todd win in person would have been worth it. He was clutch as fuck.

I hope he is a Red forever. Bruce can pack his shit. I'd rather they deal Leake than Cueto but that's not happening. Hell Cueto likely isn't going anywhere. Jockety is perfectly content being stuck in the mud. If he deals Chappy I'm BURNING DOWN HIS HOUSE!! Also, welcome back Vas. Or maybe you've been back I've been missing from the MLB thread bc I was sick of talking to myself, being the only reds fan.

$700? Good lord, where was the seat? That's more than we paid for both of our tickets.

I really should post here more, but it'd just be a long stream of profanity over whatever stupid thing they've done recently.

Ideally they will deal from strength and send Cueto, Leake, and Chapman all packing. If someone would take BP and Byrd that'd be freaking fantastic as well. But Jocketty is the GM so the odds of any of that happening are slim to none. If by someone miracle Walt is given his walking papers he'll just be replaced by someone equally inept like Kevin Towers.

DietRob

$700? Good lord, where was the seat? That's more than we paid for both of our tickets.

Sun/Moon deck over by where the restaurants are... Yea it was crazy high but I think it's because that was in 'home run zone' and it was a scalper.

Ideally they will deal from strength and send Cueto, Leake, and Chapman all packing. If someone would take BP and Byrd that'd be freaking fantastic as well. But Jocketty is the GM so the odds of any of that happening are slim to none. If by someone miracle Walt is given his walking papers he'll just be replaced by someone equally inept like Kevin Towers.

Joketty would never never do a fire sale like this. And also if you mention Chapman being traded again I'm going to find you and cut you.

lordy88

This site is doing a mini-tournament to select the best pitching GIF of the season so far. Pretty crazy pitches in there and I figured you guys would enjoy it:

http://www.pitcherlist.com/vote-for-the-best-pitching-gif-from-the-first-half-of-the-2015-season/

I mean, just look at this thing:

FabulousYoungAllosaurus.gif

tim1138

Sun/Moon deck over by where the restaurants are... Yea it was crazy high but I think it's because that was in 'home run zone' and it was a scalper.

Joketty would never never do a fire sale like this. And also if you mention Chapman being traded again I'm going to find you and cut you.

Chapman is a luxury a rebuilding team does not need, it's like when they were paying Cordero $12MM/year in 2008 and 2009. He's a valuable trade chip that a savvy GM would turn into young talent. Then again a savvy GM would have never let Chapman dictate to the team what his role was going to be instead of the other way around. It's all a moot point because Castellini will never sign off on a trade because he's in love with the novelty of Chapman throwing 100+. What an absolute waste of talent.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Angry Mets fans take over #AskManfred hashtag on Twitter

New York Mets fans are angry thanks to six consecutive seasons under .500 and nearly a decade without a playoff appearance since their last in 2006. Thanks to the Bernie Madoff scandal, Mets ownership continues to run a team that plays in the biggest city in the world like a small market organization despite the blessing of previous commissioner Bud Selig and current commissioner Rob Manfred. While the Mets have done a good job developing young pitching over the last few years, this is clearly a flawed roster with large holes that could've been filled had ownership made available the proper funds over the past five years.

When it was announced that commissioner Manfred would be taking questions to answer at MLB's Town Hall meeting during the All-Star break in Cincinnati, Mets fans acted and swiftly took over the hashtag #AskManfred on Twitter. They began swinging away at him and it appears they've done more damage than the Mets' starting lineup is capable of doing.

Can't say I disagree with Mets fans, lol.

This is true. Not just the Reds though this is the entire city of cincinnati's sports championship :(

It's not just about that, it's about Cincinnati having a 'baseball revival.' Kansas City had forgot it was a baseball town. I truly believe the ASG was the start of something there. (Plus, a great farm system bolstered by two decades of losing, but stay with me here ) I dunno, I'd have to look at ratings and attendance numbers in the days after the ASG, but I'm expecting a huge bump in enthusiasm for the Reds, even as bad as they are, after this weekend. I was expecting to be embarrassed by Cincinnati's attempt at hosting the ASG, but I've rarely if ever seen such pride and enthusiasm behind hosting an ASG before.

BUT, if you look at that crowd last night... most of the time you see these home run derbys and it's a mix of people and fans from around the country snoozing it up 10 minutes in... but that crowd was 99% Reds fans who came out to support not only Frazier, but the spirit of baseball in the city. I'm telling you, with that new spectacular format, was magical.

Seeing all the old players repping the Reds with pride in the city also gets ME excited. Griffey throwing a pitch out with his dad while repping Cincinnati over Seattle (it irked a few Seattle fans, but come on, man, he's going into the hall as a Mariner, this is just about his life-long fandom and his hometown) Not to mention some of my favorite players from years passed.

I mean, even I'm kinda down on this season (it's not an historically terrible season or anything), but seeing Frazier do what he did with the fans behind him was great for baseball, and even better for the city. If you have a city with a team older than 120 years, you are a baseball city. IF your baseball team from the 1800s isn't the most popular team in the city, the problem is with baseball or the management, not the team or the fans. People think roids killed baseball, but really, the lack of parity in the 90's was way worse for the sport. I'm super stoked to see Pittsburgh wake up from the nightmare of thinking the Steelers were the most important team in town. Most Steelers fans have never been to West PA anyway.

BFIB

It's not just about that, it's about Cincinnati having a 'baseball revival.' Kansas City had forgot it was a baseball town. I truly believe the ASG was the start of something there. (Plus, a great farm system bolstered by two decades of losing, but stay with me here ) I dunno, I'd have to look at ratings and attendance numbers in the days after the ASG, but I'm expecting a huge bump in enthusiasm for the Reds, even as bad as they are, after this weekend. I was expecting to be embarrassed by Cincinnati's attempt at hosting the ASG, but I've rarely if ever seen such pride and enthusiasm behind hosting an ASG before.

BUT, if you look at that crowd last night... most of the time you see these home run derbys and it's a mix of people and fans from around the country snoozing it up 10 minutes in... but that crowd was 99% Reds fans who came out to support not only Frazier, but the spirit of baseball in the city. I'm telling you, with that new spectacular format, was magical.

Seeing all the old players repping the Reds with pride in the city also gets ME excited. Griffey throwing a pitch out with his dad while repping Cincinnati over Seattle (it irked a few Seattle fans, but come on, man, he's going into the hall as a Mariner, this is just about his life-long fandom and his hometown) Not to mention some of my favorite players from years passed.

I mean, even I'm kinda down on this season (it's not an historically terrible season or anything), but seeing Frazier do what he did with the fans behind him was great for baseball, and even better for the city. If you have a city with a team older than 120 years, you are a baseball city. IF your baseball team from the 1800s isn't the most popular team in the city, the problem is with baseball or the management, not the team or the fans. People think roids killed baseball, but really, the lack of parity in the 90's was way worse for the sport. I'm super stoked to see Pittsburgh wake up from the nightmare of thinking the Steelers were the most important team in town. Most Steelers fans have never been to West PA anyway.

I loved the resurgence of the Reds from a few years ago. Jocketty saw an opportunity, and went for it. Its a shame for the Reds fans that it didn't turn out. And who would have thought between Votto, Pujols, and Fielder that it would be Votto staying? I only have one experience at GABP, but it was the most fun I've had at a ballpark (besides Busch that is). Fans were knowledgeable, and even got moved down by an usher to the 3rd base line from the outfield after a casual convo that it was my first time visiting. Great experience all around, and I think the way Cincy is handling the festivities for this week is spot on. There's a lot of great history w/ baseball, and its long overdue that the city gets the recognition it deserves.

Still can't stand Cueto though. :)

DietRob

Well said Vas. I too feel that the ASG in Cincy has been a huge shot in the arm for the fanbase here. I go downtown frequently and seeing all the care an attention they put into promoting it is awesome. Don't be mistaken there is a gigantic Reds fanbase they have just been quiet. Time to wake the fuck up.

We are ranked something like 15th in attendance so far this year. And ended last year at 14th rank. Not too shabby but we can do better.

I had tickets to the Futures Game & Celebrity All-Star Game on Sunday. Had a fun time, then got to meet Andre Dawson on Monday and get my picture taken with him. Just got back from Cincy today. Fun times.

I'm super stoked to see Pittsburgh wake up from the nightmare of thinking the Steelers were the most important team in town. Most Steelers fans have never been to West PA anyway.

I mean, this is just my Candadiana talking here, but I would assume the Penguins can give a run for the Steelers now?

Top Bottom