• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

kris.

Banned
nod-of-approval.gif

Feels good, man.

Also, I'm proud of the city. They maybe made it a BIT too much about the Reds, but I think the pride and enthusiasm they had for hosting the ASG was really special.

Also, talk about Barry Larkin becoming manager? Please please please. He would have to fuck up pretty damn bad to get fired once hired.

tim1138

Also, I'm proud of the city. They maybe made it a BIT too much about the Reds, but I think the pride and enthusiasm they had for hosting the ASG was really special.

Also, talk about Barry Larkin becoming manager? Please please please. He would have to fuck up pretty damn bad to get fired once hired.

People said the same thing about Perez and he didn't even last 50 games.

They need to change the front office before they worry about manager

thefro

Agreed. You probably don't want to hire a fan-favorite like Larkin when the team is likely going to struggle to be .500 with as good as the NL Central is right now.

I dunno. Small markets have challenges and sometimes you can't be too reactionary when you lose. Just please understand, I really really love Larkin.

Perez was a terrific manager. Players loved him, and obviously, he was a brilliant player. Guys like him, Morgan, Bench, and Foster (etc) are why I think it is time to cut ties with Pete Rose. The guy is a disgrace. Johnny Bench changed the way the position was played forever, and Joe Morgan's career WAR is like 30% higher than any other 2B player in the post WW1 era. I saw people chanting for Rose and it bled over into Joe Morgan's moment, and it was disgraceful. Not disgraceful that the fans would cheer and support their guy, but that we, as a city, would compromise our integrity and values to reach for greatness when we really don't have to as a franchise.

Pete, you might be one of the greatest pound-for-pound pure baseball players to ever play. And people try to even take that away from him from time to time on places like Reddit, saying that 'he actually wasn't a great hitter,' not realizing that 20 seasons of 200 hits wouldn't break his record. You can't take that away from him, but you reap what you sow, Pete. I'm tired of his ass.

Before the game, they said "pete would get the biggest ovation, bigger than Frazier." It wasn't half the ovation Frazier got, which honestly surprised me. It seems like people are mixed on Pete more than they were, after the latest truth bomb. We all know it's only a matter of time before we find out he threw games. Yeah, Pete likes to win, but he also likes his thumbs. Cut ties with the guy. When he talks, I'm just holding my breath hoping he doesn't say something offensive or vicariously embarrassing.

Also, I wish baseball had a loan system like they have in Europe. So, Votto's contract is killing us, but he's still an All-Star caliber player. Wouldn't it be nice for teams to be able to loan players to other teams in exchange for some reasonable compensation to help teams rebuild? He plays the rest of the season for the Blue Jays, then comes back after the season, under Reds contract. Hot Ice. You heat up the ice-cubes... it's the best of both worlds!

Before the game, they said "pete would get the biggest ovation, bigger than Frazier." It wasn't half the ovation Frazier got, which honestly surprised me. It seems like people are mixed on Pete more than they were, after the latest truth bomb. We all know it's only a matter of time before we find out he threw games. Yeah, Pete likes to win, but he also likes his thumbs. Cut ties with the guy. When he talks, I'm just holding my breath hoping he doesn't say something offensive or vicariously embarrassing.
I missed this in the pregame last night:

“I don’t care what Alex did or what people say he did,” Rose said. (He sounded a bit like an apologist or a serious doubter about Rodriguez’s drug history.) He added: “The guy’s got 2,000 R.B.I.s. He got his 3,000th hit and he passed Willie Mays on the home run list.” Turning to Thomas, who knocked in 1,704 runs, Rose said, “You know how hard it is to get 2,000 R.B.I.s.”
The program was a bit of Rose tribute — showing a shot of Pete Rose Way, a street near the ballpark, and the rose garden on the spot where Riverfront Stadium stood where his record-breaking 4,192nd hit landed in 1985. “You’re a pretty big deal in Cincinnati,” Thomas said.

“I’m a small deal in a big deal tonight,” Rose said. Taking visual note of Thomas’s size, he added, “You’re pretty big everywhere, aren’t you, Frankie Boy?”

Did he have a previous beef with Frank Thomas or was he just being a dick on live TV?

tim1138

I dunno. Small markets have challenges and sometimes you can't be too reactionary when you lose. Just please understand, I really really love Larkin.

Perez was a terrific manager. Players loved him, and obviously, he was a brilliant player. Guys like him, Morgan, Bench, and Foster (etc) are why I think it is time to cut ties with Pete Rose. The guy is a disgrace. Johnny Bench changed the way the position was played forever, and Joe Morgan's career WAR is like 30% higher than any other 2B player in the post WW1 era. I saw people chanting for Rose and it bled over into Joe Morgan's moment, and it was disgraceful. Not disgraceful that the fans would cheer and support their guy, but that we, as a city, would compromise our integrity and values to reach for greatness when we really don't have to as a franchise.

Pete, you might be one of the greatest pound-for-pound pure baseball players to ever play. And people try to even take that away from him from time to time on places like Reddit, saying that 'he actually wasn't a great hitter,' not realizing that 20 seasons of 200 hits wouldn't break his record. You can't take that away from him, but you reap what you sow, Pete. I'm tired of his ass.

Also, I wish baseball had a loan system like they have in Europe. So, Votto's contract is killing us, but he's still an All-Star caliber player. Wouldn't it be nice for teams to be able to loan players to other teams in exchange for some reasonable compensation to help teams rebuild? He plays the rest of the season for the Blue Jays, then comes back after the season, under Reds contract. Hot Ice. You heat up the ice-cubes... it's the best of both worlds!

I'm not even sure why Larkin would want to be a manager honestly, at least under this current regime. You have a solid starting eight and a handful of good pitchers but beyond that you know Jocketty is going to sign the worst bench and relief pitchers he can find (with at least one guaranteed to be someone he drafted while he was with the Cards). You're basically being set up to fail. That's why I said they need to address the front office before they worry about who's filling out the line up card on a daily basis. The game has passed Walt by, it's time to bring some modern thinking to baseball operations, especially as a small/mid market club. The error of margin is so small that a couple of bad deals can set you back for years. For the short term, it's time to cash in and get whatever you can for Cueto, Leake, Chapman, and pretty much anyone else you can turn into young, good, controllable talent. They don't need to go nuclear like the Astros did, but they need to do something.

I agree 100% on Pete, any goodwill he earned as a player is long gone in my book. The best thing for him, the city, the franchise, and MLB in general would be for Pete to just go away.

I missed this in the pregame last night:

Did he have a previous beef with Frank Thomas or was he just being a dick on live TV?

It's just his style when he's trying to be friendly. He played baseball longer than anybody, and he just got used to breaking balls all the time. I honestly think he didn't mean anything by it, but rather was trying to show love/respect in his own way. He does this with everybody. He's just kind of a bully by nature. Teammates seemed to like him, though, publicly. Who knows privately.

Rany Jazayerli rips AJ Preller to shreds

But what A.J. Preller has wrought in San Diego has been as quick as it has been destructive. Like an abandoned stadium earmarked for implosion, a baseball team can be demolished in a fraction of the time it takes to put it together.
Add up the damage and it’s staggering. In one offseason, the Padres traded away one of the best catchers in baseball (Grandal); an above-average starting pitcher (Hahn); an above-average corner outfielder (Seth Smith); an above-average center fielder (Maybin); and pretty much their entire farm system. Per Baseball America, the Padres traded away their no. 1 (Wisler), no. 2 (Turner), no. 4 (Ross), no. 6 (Fried), no. 9 (Eflin), no. 10 (Jace Peterson), no. 15 (Bauers), no. 16 (Mallex Smith), no. 21 (Dustin Peterson), no. 23 (Burch Smith), and no. 30 (Barbato) prospects, along with the 41st pick in the draft.

In return, they got one of the best young outfielders in the sport, who can’t stay healthy, in Wil Myers. They got one year of Justin Upton. They got Matt Kemp and his bloated contract. They got a good young catcher in Derek Norris who isn’t nearly as good as the young catcher they traded. They got two very good relievers in Brandon Maurer and Craig Kimbrel. They inherited the misfortune of playing Will Middlebrooks.

The Kimbrel trade already looks like one of the worst trades any team has made in years — and it wasn’t the worst trade the Padres made this winter. That would be the Kemp trade, in which they took on a contract the Dodgers were desperate to unload5 and gave up arguably their most valuable commodity in Grandal. Years from now, the trade for Justin Upton might look as bad as these two. If it doesn’t, the trade for Wil Myers might.

did a good job leading Brazil during the WBC. do it Cincy

eff the loan

Edwing, Cecil and Dickey for Votto, Cueto and Chapman!

People actually thought the Padres would be any good? I mean, all those players they added looked good on paper, and that opening day trade for Kimbrel made their bullpen look good, but since then they've barely stayed afloat in what is essentially a two team division in the NL West, between the Doyers and Giants.

People actually thought the Padres would be any good? I mean, all those players they added looked good on paper, and that opening day trade for Kimbrel made their bullpen look good, but since then they've barely stayed afloat in what is essentially a two team division in the NL West, between the Doyers and Giants.

i didn't think they would threaten for division.. maybe wild card at best

i thought they'd be better than the Dbacks at the least

i also thought kemp would be playing much better than he's been playing

Top Bottom