• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

Enron

Banned
Oh hell yes

Even Elvis gets in on the action now. These Rangers cannot be stopped!

Edit: Ouch, Derek Norris. Hope that didnt dislocate something.

Edit: holy shit, the pitcher hurts himself warming up the new catcher. Wow.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Thank you baseball gods.

Gz4tipl.gif
GOfibMr.gif
Gz4tipl.gif

You guys are going to do just well enough for Mattingly to keep his job! ;P

Opiate

So few fans seem to like their team's managers. Cubs fans probably do. I like Matheny for the Cardinals, but I think others do not (he's certainly not perfect, mind you).

Syrinx

So few fans seem to like their team's managers. Cubs fans probably do. I like Matheny for the Cardinals, but I think others do not (he's certainly not perfect, mind you).

I mean, like Frozenprince said, how many managers really are there that you would consider "good"? I'm not sure it's really a matter of disliking a manager just because he's my manager, but more that there just don't seem to be that many good ones.

Silkworm

I mean, like Frozenprince said, how many managers really are there that you would consider "good"? I'm not sure it's really a matter of disliking a manager just because he's my manager, but more that there just don't seem to be that many good ones.

I think I'd take Mike Matheny from the Cards. He's done well taking over for La Russa.

Syrinx

I think I'd take Mike Matheny from the Cards. He's done well taking over for La Russa.

I know that Cards-GAF has been very critical of Matheny at times, but I generally agree that he is one of the better managers, albeit from a perspective that doesn't follow the Cardinals that closely. I feel pretty confident that I'd take him over Terry Collins in a heartbeat though.

zroid

Banned

I think Gibby is pretty good. I don't agree with everything he does, but I don't often find myself disagreeing too strongly either. Usually those calls are close to 50/50 anyway. And he likes Tulo leading off which earns a lot of brownie points in my book.

Plus, he's hilarious.

He's improved year to year. A lot fewer silly bunts and he hasn't left his starters out to die on the mound nearly as often. Now if he'll only show a quicker hook in the playoffs and stop running his favorite relievers into the ground during the regular season...

I think there's a fair number of Cards fans who feel Matheny is simply benefitting from the super roster put together by Mozeliak. Which isn't wrong but Matheny deserves a lot of credit for holding the clubhouse together and getting them playing well despite the adversity this season.

cashman

Banned
Let's have your closer come in for the 4th time in 5 days and throw 30 pitches to protect a 4 run lead. Great fucking managing Bannister.

Donny is just so awful.

He's kept Rollins batting leadoff most of the year. Even with his recent improvement, the guy's OBP is well under .300

His lineups are ridiculous. He'll do things like bat Grandal 8th while the 2 guys directly in front of him are much worse hitters. He still thinks Crawford should take a middle order spot when he plays. It's ludicrous.

Still hasn't called up Seager. Still. We've had basically an auto out at SS all year, and rosters just expanded, and this kid still isn't up.

Horrible late game substitutions.

Basically had to be forced to start playing Turner regularly.

Pursued a trade for Utley so that he could send Pederson to the bench and play Enrique Hernandez in center. I'll repeat that: he pressured the FO to get Utley so that he could bench Pederson.

Continued batting Pederson 8th even after he rediscovered his ability to draw walks. So we have a guy getting on base at a .360 clip right in front of the pitcher.

The FO hasn't helped with some of their moves. Trading Dee Gordon may very well cost us the title this year. Imagine this team with Gordon playing 2B and batting leadoff. It would be insane. Trading Kemp to get Grandal was a good move though. And unlimited money can help cover up some questionable decisions. Acquiring 2 starters just so we could send Bolsinger and his sub-3 ERA to the minors is so dumb it makes my head hurt.

The FO hasn't helped with some of their moves. Trading Dee Gordon may very well cost us the title this year. Imagine this team with Gordon playing 2B and batting leadoff. It would be insane.

Gasp! Somebody else coming around?! Am I dreaming!?

Their salary cap would be in MUCH better condition with Gordon, too. They were paying him peanuts compared to what they have to pay now.

Realistically though, what will cost the Dodgers any shot is the fact that their bullpen is miserable. I could see them getting swept out of the playoffs, it's so bad.

howie kendrick has been pretty good for the dodgers tho

also they got Kike Hernandez and top rated catching prospect austin barnes in the dee gordon trade

also hatcher who has sucked this season but he has the stuff if he can turn it around.. 3 scoreless innings last night

Howie's been good, but he's just a decent #5 or #6 hitter. Gordon is a game-changer in the leadoff spot.

If we can ever get a lineup with Kike and Howie on the field together, that would probably have more value than Gordon alone. But our outfield should be Pederson/Ethier/Puig. Unless we bench Puig for Kike, or unless Kike can play SS, I don't see where we play him.

Reports coming out saying Dan Jennings will return to the office as GM once the season is over and the Marlins will hire a new manager in the offseason.

So if current trends hold up, Dodgers will get the Mets, and the Cards will get the winner of the Pirates/Cubs wild card game. Between Pirates and Cubs, which team would Cards fans rather face?

Pittsburgh as a team is much better, but Arrieta is scarier than anyone the Pirates have at the top of their rotation.

Jays game was a bit slow for the most part. I enjoy a good pitcher's duel but it wasn't an entertaining one. Those last few inning made up for it though.

The guy who was sitting in front of me and decided to run on the field didn't even make it across the foul line. He decided to run out right beside an on field security guard.

I managed to make it on TV thanks to the Joey Bats kids behind me. Jose waved to them at least four times during the game.

Was there any on air explanation for Donaldson's bunt attempt early in the game? It just didn't seem like a good time for it.

So if current trends hold up, Dodgers will get the Mets, and the Cards will get the winner of the Pirates/Cubs wild card game. Between Pirates and Cubs, which team would Cards fans rather face?

Pittsburgh as a team is much better, but Arrieta is scarier than anyone the Pirates have at the top of their rotation.
Cards would probably have to face Lester and Hammel in games 1 and 2 if we won and Liriano and Burnett if the Bucs won. I'd rather face the Cubs two in a series, of course depending on how Burnett comes back.

Pirates. The NLDS two years ago was great

Could deal with a loss to Pirates but Cubs should not be allowed to win ever

Beckx

Well this road trip started well. Someone should do a breakdown of why the Bucs struggle against the Brewers. It's bizarre.

thefro

Cards would probably have to face Lester and Hammel in games 1 and 2 if we won and Liriano and Burnett if the Bucs won. I'd rather face the Cubs two in a series, of course depending on how Burnett comes back.

Arrieta would pitch in game 3 on normal rest, then you have the decision to make as to whether to pitch Lester on short rest in Game 4 (which would also set your rotation for the NLCS if you get that far) or Hendricks/whoever.

Honestly I'm much more scared of the likely 1-game playoff with the Pirates than a series against the Cards.

BFIB

No matter how it plays out, division series in both leagues is going to be extremely tough.

I don't want to face the Bucs, or Cubs in a short series, and I'm sure the Bucs and Cubs fans feel the same way.

Top Bottom