• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

BFIB

I'm actually OK with the deal. Hate giving up Kaminsky, but the need outweighed the prospect at this point.

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
#Marlins play today at 12:10 p.m. ET. As of this hour, Morse and Latos remain part of team and again plan to be in uniform.

Hmm

How does acquiring Brandon Moss make a team -less- interested in wanting to resign Heyward?

Moss is under control until 2017 so the STL outfield would be pretty crowded - Holliday/Bourjos/Jay/Moss/Grichuk/Piscotty/Heyward

It's probably not a big deal since one or more of them will likely be moved in the offseason, but still makes me wonder if the FO thinks that it isn't going to be able to resign Heyward

ampere

I haven't posted in the thread since Cueto or Zobrist, but yes, I am OVER THE MOON :D

Oh, and here's a good gif of that play last night I cannot stop staring at it

YjvmEk5.gif

That's one of those sports moments that just screams "We've been playing this game for 10s of thousands of hours." It's amazing, just looks second nature to those guys

Enron

Banned
I think your (royal you) view on the trade at this stage comes down largely to your opinion on Olivera. For me, between his age, health record, lack of major league exposure, and defensive limitations, plus the 6-year commitment, I'm just really weary of acquiring him. I'm fine with trading Wood and Peraza (especially Peraza), don't give two shits about Avilan, but I would have liked to have gotten someone with a higher floor than Olivera. His upside is nice, but his expected value isn't actually that great and if his defense sucks where are you going to play him? At least he's cheap so they can still build around him.

I just really don't want them to be in a position where it's 2017 and Olivera has already fallen off, Dan Uggla style.

My opinion of Olivera is simply what major league scouts think of the guy, and the consensus is that he's going to be a very good hitter with a very good OBP and slightly above-average power for 2nd base. Decent glove. The 6 year commitment doesn't mean anything because the money is so low. You are essentially on the hook for about 30 million with him. That's peanuts.

Peraza isn't going to give you that. Assuming he is what the scouts think as well, he's a bottom of order guy with blazing speed and an excellent glove.

The Braves are rebuilding but they have some talent and even at their lowest (this year) they aren't terrible. Hart is trying to rebuild and compete at the same time. Olivera is still in his prime, and even if he falls off at age 34 if he's what the scouts all seem to think he is, you'll get your money's worth in seasons 1-3.

BFIB

Moss is under control until 2017 so the STL outfield would be pretty crowded - Holliday/Bourjos/Jay/Moss/Grichuk/Piscotty/Heyward

It's probably not a big deal since one or more of them will likely be moved in the offseason, but still makes me wonder if the FO thinks that it isn't going to be able to resign Heyward

Moss is your Mark Reynolds guy next year. Or if he produces better, a possible trade chip.

RGVNOE

just logged on and see Cards traded for Moss, damn MO with so make guys seeming to be available around the majors couldn't you find someone better

BFIB

just logged on and see Cards traded for Moss, damn MO with so make guys seeming to be available around the majors couldn't you find someone better

Moss has immediately become our HR leader. Fucking insane at how bad our offense is.

MO may not be done. He already stated the Moss deal was being finalized before the Holliday injury.

After seeing Hollidays reaction, I think his season is done. :(

RGVNOE

Moss has immediately become our HR leader. Fucking insane at how bad our offense is.

MO may not be done. He already stated the Moss deal was being finalized before the Holliday injury.

After seeing Hollidays reaction, I think his season is done. :(

hopefully MO doesn't give away too much

Enron

Banned
I mean the Barves got taken to the fucking woodshed so. LOLbarves?

Disagree. Alex Wood is decent, Peraza will be a fast regular at least but i don't know if his approach will ever let him be more than that. Olivera will go right into a lineup and provide really good production, at a cost of about 5.something million per to Atlanta. The Braves won't miss either player.

I don't know if I trust the trade evaluations from someone who posted LOL BREWERS GOT FLEECED ETC 5 million times after that Mets deal last night. 1.5 years of Carlos Gomez for a guy who is probably a really good #2 starter and a starting Shortstop? That doesn't sound like a fleecing to me.

zroid

Banned
hSiM6SW.png

I can't honestly see the Jays outbidding the Cubs or whoever else for Price, but it still scares me shitless. Doesn't matter how good a pitcher is, one ace isn't going to get this team into the playoffs on his own. I'd much rather they give up OK prospects for a mid-rotation rental than top-tier prospects for an ace rental.

hSiM6SW.png

I can't honestly see the Jays outbidding the Cubs or whoever else for Price, but it still scares me shitless. Doesn't matter how good a pitcher is, one ace isn't going to get this team into the playoffs on his own. I'd much rather they give up OK prospects for a mid-rotation rental than top-tier prospects for an ace rental.

Agreed. There are cheaper options else where. Maybe they grab a combo of Ross or Gallardo and Price.

Enron

Banned
I guess I can believe that theory, sort of. But I don't think the Brewers will have much trouble dealing Gomez to someone else - there's several teams that would be interested.

hSiM6SW.png

YOLO

Sanjuro

Agreed. There are cheaper options else where. Maybe they grab a combo of Ross or Gallardo and Price.

hSiM6SW.png

You don't think acquiring an ace will help you recover from 2GB?

LevelNth

Banned
hSiM6SW.png

This is the problem, it doesn't have to be. All Rogers has to do is be serious and realize the window it has left for next season, and just go for it. If we can resign Price to big bucks and give Buerhle another $12m for another year, we could go have one last season with this batting lineup, and the following rotation:

Price
Stroman
Buerhle
Dickey (unless he walks, but I doubt he will)
Sanchez

All you need is one signing in the offseason, a mid-range closer, and you're set.

Top Bottom