• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT3| Only 187 More Days Till Opening Day 2016

This is why you don't take things for granted and sit your entire lineup twice since locking up the division.

What a monster screw up. They had a 2 game lead with the tie breaker with 6 to go...

Great job there Collins. Now maybe you can add getting no hit to that.

To be fair, if the Royals didn't shit the bed in September, they could easily have maintained a 12 game lead for home field. They were pretty awful for an entire month. They also played seven bench warmers after locking up the division, and Ned Yost had inexperienced minor league pitchers costing them at least two games.

And the Jays still lock it up with a Royals loss and a Toronto win tomorrow. Minnesota is better than Tampa Bay so I can see that happening.

HFA will likely be irrelevant anyway. Playoffs never play out how you expect, and only one of our teams might even advance.

Loco4Coco

Mets/Dodgers both got no-hit twice and are meeting up in the playoffs. Probably won't see that again.

Atleast the Nationals can celebrate something this year. :p

zroid

Banned
iirc, last pitcher to throw two no-hitters in the same season was Halladay in 2010

To be fair, if the Royals didn't shit the bed in September, they could easily have maintained a 12 game lead for home field. They were pretty awful for an entire month. They also played seven bench warmers after locking up the division, and Need Yost had inexperienced minor league pitchers costing them at least two games.

And the Jays still lock it up with a Royals loss and a Toronto win tomorrow. Minnesota is better than Tampa Bay so I can see that happening.

HFA will likely be irrelevant anyway. Playoffs never play out how you expect, and only one of our teams might even advance.

he's actually talking about the Mets

I was confused too until he said Collins :lol :lol

HFA is slightly more relevant for the Mets since it affects them immediately in the Division Series

I also understand liking defense, but this team lately isn't hitting. Why do you keep plugging in a shortstop who averages 1HR and 25RBI a year?

Flores' bat should be in there. Nobody fears Tejada.

Flores is a potential 20HR, 70RBI bat and ever since his terrible start with 10 errors in the first month or so, he hasn't been THAT bad overall in the field.

Edit - Damn, didn't realize Flores was hurt...

zroid

Banned
Max's other nono would've been a perfecto if not for that batter in the 9th whose name I forgot leaning into the plate to get HBP. And this time it was an error. So close!

Loco4Coco

I also understand liking defense, but this team lately isn't hitting. Why do you keep plugging in a shortstop who averages 1HR and 25RBI a year?

Flores' bat should be in there. Nobody fears Tejada.

Flores is a potential 20HR, 70RBI bat and ever since his terrible start with 10 errors in the first month or so, he hasn't been THAT bad overall in the field.

I think Flores is dealing with some back issues. But yeah Collins seems to favor Tejada way too much.

I think Flores is dealing with some back issues. But yeah Collins seems to favor Tejada way too much.

Just checked and his back in actually fine. Now they say he has strep throat.

Collins obviously has issues with him though. Been sitting him a lot, even before the back issue. They say he looks as though he "ran out of gas".

To me it looks like that for the entire lineup.

Sometimes Collins annoys me. Never any real reason to sit a bat like Flores for someone like Tejada, who the Mets couldn't wait to get rid of after last season and at best is a minor league hitter. 2HR, 25RBI/year just doesn't cut it.

He had better not be the playoff starter. If so, and the Mets lose, Collins should go.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, I thought the astros game started at 7 pst. I've been sitting in front of my computer refamiliarizing myself with css, bleh.

zychi

Banned
Cubs win and a Pirates loss tomorrow means the game is at Wrigley.

Reds not winning on Friday sucks.

I'm going to have to choose between going to the banner raise at UC or a Cubs playoff game.

What are the odds that either team will play the other's game on the jumbotron?

Fuck

zroid

Banned
By the way, some Jays fans here were saying Osuna shouldn't be the closer anymore. Keep in mind that a closer isn't necessarily where you want your best reliever to be. It is sometimes, but not always. There are advantages to having your best reliever come in during general high leverage situations rather than exclusively save situations.

Like say it's a one run lead in the 8th with bases loaded 0 outs. That's not where you bring in the closer, but it's a damn good time to bring in the best reliever. On the other hand, a closer would come in during the 9th inning with a 3 run lead. That's not really when you need your best reliever.

So just be aware of that before declaring Cecil the new closer.

By the way, some Jays fans here were saying Osuna shouldn't be the closer anymore. Keep in mind that a closer isn't necessarily where you want your best reliever to be. It is sometimes, but not always. There are advantages to having your best reliever come in during general high leverage situations rather than exclusively save situations.

Like say it's a one run lead in the 8th with bases loaded 0 outs. That's not where you bring in the closer, but it's a damn good time to bring in the best reliever. On the other hand, a closer would come in during the 9th inning with a 3 run lead. That's not really when you need your best reliever.

So just be aware of that before declaring Cecil the new closer.

Your closer should be the best reliever, but managers shouldn't be bound to use them exclusively in the 9th. But as long as they get paid by the save that won't change

zroid

Banned
Your closer should be the best reliever, but managers shouldn't be bound to use them exclusively in the 9th. But as long as they get paid by the save that won't change

Yeah I agree with that, but like you said managers don't do it that way. Closers always come in for save situations, and save situations aren't always where you want your best relievers.

Top Bottom