• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

RBH

Cgxh1LaWMAEiOn4.jpg:large

RHP Aaron Blair (AAA Gwinnett Braves) will make his Major League debut for the Braves on Sunday vs. Mets. LHP Matt Marksberry optioned to Gwinnett.
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/724060912722780161

Looking forward to it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
baseball america handbook (before trade to braves)
Born: May 26, 1992. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 230. Drafted: Marshall, 2013 (1st round supplemental). Signed by: Rick Matsko.

Blair has zipped through the minors since becoming Marshall’s highest drafted player as the 36th overall pick in 2013. He spent time at both Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno in 2015, ranking among the Top 20 Prospects in both the Southern and Pacific Coast leagues. In addition, he pitched for USA Baseball’s silver-medal Pan Am Games team, starting against Cuba. The key to Blair’s success is a heavy 91-95 mph fastball that features plus downward plane, allowing him to keep balls on the ground and inducing weak contact. He gets swings and misses with an 11-to-5 curveball that he throws in the 72-76 mph range. The pitch has improved from below-average to flash plus at times. His best secondary offering is a plus changeup in the 81-84 mph range that he uses to pitch to contact. He also introduced an occasional fringy slider in 2015 that gets slurvy at 82-84 mph. Blair is an effective his delivery, projecting as a workhorse with a knack for going deep into his starts. Blair will make his big league debut sometime in 2016. His groundball pitching style should make him well-suited for hitter-friendly Chase Field.
minorleagueball.com baseball handbook

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016...expect-from-atlanta-braves-rookie-aaron-blair
Aaron Blair, RHP, Atlanta Braves
Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-5 WT: 230 DOB: May 26, 1992
2014: Grade B; 2015: Grade B+

The Diamondbacks drafted Blair in the supplemental first round in 2013 from Marshall University. He’s moved quickly and is near-major league ready, making him very attractive to the Braves who acquired him in the big Shelby Miller deal during the off-season. Blair is not as athletic as ex-Dback teammate Braden Shipley but has more dominant stuff at present, featuring a 90-95 MPH sinking fastball, a plus change-up, a fair slider, and a curveball that has improved from shaky to slightly above-average over the last two years. He’s big and strong and has been very durable to this point. The general consensus is "future number three starter" and I agree with the consensus in this case. If the curveball improves further, he could exceed those expectations. Don’t underestimate him. Grade B+.
The main change in Blair between now and when he was originally drafted by Arizona is with his secondary pitches: both his curveball and slider have improved considerably (especially the curve). Since he already had a fastball and a change-up the added polish to his breaking stuff has carried him forward successfully.

gamz

I just can't get over how fast he fell.

His OBP has dived bomb. He had good power numbers last year but man a .307 OBP is terrible.

Is this really his 5th year as a Angel. Damn, that went by fast and they have 5 more years of this. Wow!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The braves rotation at the end of the season will probably be (or by june or july)

Teheran
Wisler
Foltynewicz
Blair
Jenkins

With Newcomb, Sims etc.... in AAA.

BFIB

His OBP has dived bomb. He had good power numbers last year but man a .307 OBP is terrible.

Is this really his 5th year as a Angel. Damn, that went by fast and they have 5 more years of this. Wow!
It hasn't for the Angels fans. :)

lol

Shit, I was just hoping it hurt the Cards, and it didn't. They just kept on rolling without missing a damn beat.

Two regular players (Wacha and Piscotty) from the comp picks too!

Cards really dodged a bullet, though, considering they offered $240m to Pujols. Thank god the Angels are stupid

Well don't pound yourselves on the back too hard, Cards fans. You're still paying Holliday through 2029.

Talking about dodged bullets though... Bruce Sutter. Dudes still getting paid by the Barves.

RBH

The braves rotation at the end of the season will probably be (or by june or july)

Teheran
Wisler
Foltynewicz
Blair
Jenkins

With Newcomb, Sims etc.... in AAA.
I hope Folty can work out his control because I still feel that he has the best stuff of anyone.

"The leader, in multi-home run games as a shortstop? A-Rod, with 33." (Yes, with a giant asterisk beside it, showing that the steroid infused donkey's cheat-filled records are as bogus as they come.)

Chris R

Last Mariners game for me for a month :( so glad I paid the extra $$$ today to sit in the shade. Too fucking hot and I've got a mean sunburn going already.

Top Bottom