• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I hate everything.

gvRijps.jpg

Bartolo Colon just became the oldest MLB player to hit his first career home run at age 42. The previous record was Randy Johnson at age 40 on September 19, 2003.

harSon

Banned
Can't wait until Glasnow and Taillon make it to the majors. Both are throwing some serious heat in AAA at the moment.

HF2014

Im back at baseball, following back from last year playoff performance, quit when the Expos died. I back and i enjoy it. I enjoy watching baseball again, trying to knew everything back about it. And i decide to cheers for the Jays. Its Canada only team, so why not cheer for our only Canadian team. Enjoy last season playoff push. I remember i decide one game, before the trades happen, to try to start watching baseball game. I tune in and see the Jays trailing 8-1 vs Boston, and i saw them make this incredible comeback and win the game 13-10. it hook me back. Then after i saw the team rise with all the trades they did, and saw this amazing great moment of getting spot for series. The Bautista hit, controversy inning, god it was just amazing. It was a great ride.

But this season, im still following them, and i see flaws this season i was not seeing. So i decide to share my toughs on this first fifth of the season.

Good:

- Pillar is really become something. Offensivly and defensivly. I mean, hes becoming amazing to watch. When i start watching the jays last year, i didnt like when he was at bat, but the more the season was advancing, he was always getting better, and it continue this year.

- Saunders and Carrera are great replacement for Revere, even if i was liking more Revere.

- J.Happ is doing surprisingly good in the shoes of replacing Price.He havent had a bad start since the beginning of the season, imo 6 great qualkity start.

-A. Sanchez. Also doing very well, one bad start in 6 games. Hes becoming something.

-Osuna : Still amazing. Hes getting into a serious closer.

Bad:

- Offence in general. Bautista .218 , Martin .177 , Tulo .167, Thole .156. Very dissapointing.

- Storen.Seriously, everytime he pitch, im worried. We payed Revere for that? Im just not impress yet.

- Cecil. My favorite reliever last year behind Osuna is becoming a serious mess this year. Him , combine with Storen, have allowed 34 hits in 20.2 innings. Thats big. Hope Cecil will come back.

- Dickey: Sometime i think his stats are the way they are because of pure bad luck. I saw 2-3 games when an error somewhere have screw him over. Lets see if he can be more lucky .

Just hope Jays will get better. Getting back a bit of that offensive touch of last year, and more consistency from relievers. Go Jays!

dickroach

I haven't been in a MLB forum thread for a while. too much stress, and it's hard for me to win arguments. gonna throw my hat in the ring.
hope Loria bites it soon.
signed-
Marlins fan

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bartolo HR with music

https://twitter.com/AndyCole84/status/729118228241207296?s=09
ah,beaten, but worth posting more than once.
Aaron Judge's time will be soon

umEeCvR.png

wejGl2D.gif

Z0kqP.png
@ the walk/strikeout % numbers. How soon is "soon"?

He only has one year were it's below 10%. This year it's at 8 so far but hopefully that improves. You can live with the strikeouts as long as his walk rate is above average.

Yankees should just let him have one more year in the minors and give him a roster spot next spring training.

Yeah but if he's having that much trouble making contact in AAA, how's he going to be in the majors?

He's not walking and striking out a lot. Those are often pretty good indicators of how a guy is going at the plate. Combine that with the high BABIP and I think he'd be eaten alive by major league pitching. That's not to say he's going to be a bust, but bringing him up now could also destroy his confidence. Let him marinate a little more.
for minor leaguers I usually like to look at avg. and power numbers. Walk numbers can be deceptive since minor leaguers are so wild anyway, especially in the lower levels (still needs a high walk rate though). But yeah the guy is striking out too much.

not sure what the avg babip for the minor leagues is though so I'm not sure if you can trust it. Is it still around .300? I would guess the better hitters in the minors have a higher babip from hitting more line drives etc...

edit: good article about the KATOH system. Trying to predict minor leaguers based on stats.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/katoh-...r-league-performance-with-minor-league-stats/

Mentions Judge:

Consider Yankees prospect Aaron Judge as an example. Judge, a 6-foot-7 outfielder, turned in an impressive .308/.419/.486 campaign between Low- and High-A last year, which vaulted him onto the prospect radar and earned him a spot on Keith Law’s midseason top 50 prospect list. KATOH isn’t sold. The system pegged Judge’s odds of playing in the majors at just 54 percent and gave him a measly 13 percent chance of accumulating more than four WAR through his age 28 season.

Regardless of what KATOH says, I don’t actually think Judge has just a 50/50 shot of cracking the big leagues over the next six years. Professional scouts, who actually have watched him play, think he has the tools to be a middle-of-the-order power threat, and I don’t doubt they know what they’re doing. I do, however, think KATOH might be on to something and that some evaluators may be putting a little too much stock in Judge’s seemingly impressive A-ball numbers.

For one thing, KATOH dings Judge for being a 22-year-old in A-ball, which makes him older than much of his competition. Believe it or not, he’s also older than Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, who already are starting to feel like established big leaguers at this point. But even after accounting for his age, a .905 OPS is nothing to sneeze at.

But it’s how Judge arrived at that .905 OPS that’s reason for concern. He hit for a solid .308 average with modest amount of power, but a big chunk of his value came from his impressive 16 percent walk rate. Walks are cool and all, but as I showed earlier, the data suggest that walk rates mean next to nothing for hitters playing in the lower minors. Take away Judge’s walks, and his stat line suddenly looks like that of a nondescript minor leaguer with something of a strikeout problem.

still probably better to trust the scouts with minor leaguers though.

dickroach

there's no analysis needed for his HR
the fact that it happened is the most absurd thing that has and will happen(ed) this year.

until he does it in the NLCS

That moment when you're watching Bartolo "run" around the bases, and the commentator says, "I think that's just the speed he runs." Athlete!

He now has more home runs on the year than three Royals regulars in Infante, Escobar, and Dyson. Full props.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Guys Im finally either not working or sleeping. Time to catch up what has been happening in baseball.

Bartolo Colon hit a hr? THE END IS NEAR

IvDWVdb.gif

SolKane

Welcome to the land of Hoz Cleveland!

What team? And are they completely pink? Or just the lettering?

Blue Jays and Dodgers. Dodgers' uniforms look worse than Blue Jays'. They both have pink lettering (which looks OK for Blue Jays, but not so great for the Dodgers) and pink undershirts. The undershirts are so bright and garish they don't match the rest of the uniform, and some of these shirts don't fit the guys well, hence the nurse look. Also, pink bats.

Silkworm

Pretty darn good game so far by Stripling. Unfortunately the Dodger bats are quiet yet again. Can't have everything, I guess :p I'm sure the Dodger bullpen will make this less of a contest as the game moves into the later innings *sigh*

note: Something brewing in this inning, but the Dodgers actually have to move the man on 3rd to home. I'm not sure if that's possible :-\

harSon

Banned
It's been a while since Cole has impressed me. Hasn't taken a step forward to being a true ace since the All Star break last season.

Top Bottom