• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

RBH

The Braves, who still believe good times are right around the corner in 2017, are on pace to lose more games than any team in modern history. If they continue at this clip, they’ll finish the season 38-124.

The Braves, after losing 5-3 in 11 innings Sunday and being swept by the Arizona Diamondbacks, have had a nine-game losing streak and an eight-game losing streak and currently are mired in a four-game losing streak. They have hit seven home runs, the fewest by a Braves team after 30 games since 1931. There are 16 players who have more home runs than the Braves have as a team.

They have been outscored by 63 runs. They have the lowest batting average in the league. Scored the fewest runs. Produced the fewest hits. And rank last in on-base and slugging percentage.

Defensively, they have the worst fielding percentage, the fewest putouts, assists and total chances. Well, at least when it comes to pitching, there are four teams with worse ERAs.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cord-freddie-freeman-fredi-gonzalez/84126202/

RBH

meh, they will get better. schedule will get easier, and more players will be called up. (can't get worse)
Oh it doesn't matter too much to me if they get better anyways, just thought it was interesting how they're setting all of these statistical lows thus far.

As long as we see progress from our younger guys (Wisler, Blair, Folty) and our bats in the minors continue to move forward (Ruiz, Albies, Swanson), then I'm fine. I can stomach futility in the present in exchange for the possibilities in the future.

RBH

Y1UU6EU.jpg

yeah. I think it supposed to show how bad the offense is for the braves, but I am far more impressed by how bad the 18-14 phillies offense is compared to what they are doing lol.

Currently outplaying their Pythag (expected) record by 5 games. Chances are that doesn't hold up for a full season, but still -- being tied for a WC spot even this late in the season kind of counts as a huge moral victory for them.

Kaladin

Though they were hoping to avoid having to address this development before the end of the season, Braves executives have been left with no choice but to at least discuss whether they need to relieve Gonzalez of his managerial duties and possibly give the job to either bench coach Eddie Perez or first-base coach Terry Pendleton.

There was speculation a change was either going to be made late last week or on Monday, when the Braves enjoy an off-day ahead of a three-game set that begins against the Phillies on Tuesday. But over the past few days, it seems Atlanta has become more receptive to giving Gonzalez at least a couple more weeks to compete against a kinder schedule and a roster that now includes Ender Inciarte, the energetic outfielder who returned on Saturday from a month-long absence caused by a strained left hamstring.

"We haven't had the chance to have the team together," Francoeur said. "We've got 13 or 14 [games] in a row after the off-day. It would be nice to kind of have the 25 guys that are here and see what we can do and build some momentum. I think we can."

There will be a parade in Atlanta when they fire Fredi Gonzalez.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/177033208/braves-still-fighting-for-fredi-gonzalez

Sanjuro

Haha. That still reminds me of last season when Boston and Seattle played. Someone at the bar asked why they were wearing odd uniforms. I explained they were Negro League uniforms. Everyone got real nervous, "You can't say that!" -_-

I think they look cool. Glad they are doing it.

SpaceHorror

So the Braves lost when I went to the game Saturday, but I did see Freddie Freeman hit a home run. That was fun. It also hit me how much I'm going to miss Turner Field.

Oh and I got two hot dogs with ketchup only. They were glorious.

ATTENTION LOS ANGELES AREA RESIDENTS

Bartolo Colon will be starting THURSDAY MAY 12th at Dodger Stadium.

If you miss this opportunity to see what may be the single finest example of athlete since Babe Ruth, you will hate yourself forever.

Consider this a public service announcement.

Sanjuro

If you miss this opportunity to see what may be the single finest example of athlete since Babe Ruth, you will hate yourself forever.

I want a photo with him and Kenny Powers.

I need tickets.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2016/5/9/11641388/tim-lincecum-sf-giants-rumors

The ‪#‎WhiteSox‬, ‪#‎Angels‬ and ‪#‎Diamondbacks‬ are among teams known to have joined the San Francisco Giants with early interest in star free agent pitcher Tim Lincecum, who conducted the world's most-watched showcase by wearer of cargo shorts Friday.

The ‪#‎Padres‬ also are expected to be in the mix following the one-man tryout attended by the Dodgers, A's, Rangers, Astros, Marlins, Nats, Orioles, Astros, and many others.

Kaladin

I'm gonna be in ATL for a couple of days next week. Shame the Braves will be away during that time or I'd fit a game into that trip.

Beckx

Hmm. Wonder if Bucs will continue being snakebit by Reds.

John Jaso has an .881 OPS (2nd among leadoff hitters). I think it's his hair.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The braves can't lose tonight!
Anyone have any baseball related podcast recommendations?
Effectively wild. Baseball prospectus podcast. (Daily)

And fangraphs and baseball America can be good at times.

MLB.com has started having some as well. Should have an RSS feed for your team where they talk to the MLB team writer each week. And of course find the team's local radio station and the websites should have RSS feeds for certain shows.

Is it mostly about the game of baseball as a whole (historical) or more topical (e.g. Bryce Harper walked 13 times in the series, let's discuss)?

Both, really. But it's more historical than topical. Thing is they're still in college, one dude pitches for a D3 team, but they know a lot about baseball, and they're pretty damn funny. They also have sections where they pick a historical player and talk about that guy. Guys like Harry Martini, George Biggerstaff, Ed Head and Lil Stoner.

They've also had one great, more obscure, players and guests. It's way inside baseball stuff, but it's stellar.

Mark Teahen was on the show in episode 88 and was a fantastic listen. Topics that day were:
getting drafted by the Moneyball A’s
getting traded as a prospect
playing for the hapless late 2000’s Royals
the brutal honesty of a young Zack Greinke
seeing that same organization be World Series champions now
the secret to hitting Justin Verlander
his two remarkable inside the park home runs
pitchers that owned him/pitchers that he owned
playing for Team Canada in the World Baseball Classic​

I dunno, I usually just end up laughing most of the podcast.

BumRush

Both, really. But it's more historical than topical. Thing is they're still in college, one dude pitches for a D3 team, but they know a lot about baseball, and they're pretty damn funny. They also have sections where they pick a historical player and talk about that guy. Guys like Harry Martini, George Biggerstaff, Ed Head and Lil Stoner.

They've also had one great, more obscure, players and guests. It's way inside baseball stuff, but it's stellar.

Mark Teahen was on the show in episode 88 and was a fantastic listen. Topics that day were:
getting drafted by the Moneyball A’s
getting traded as a prospect
playing for the hapless late 2000’s Royals
the brutal honesty of a young Zack Greinke
seeing that same organization be World Series champions now
the secret to hitting Justin Verlander
his two remarkable inside the park home runs
pitchers that owned him/pitchers that he owned
playing for Team Canada in the World Baseball Classic​

I dunno, I usually just end up laughing most of the podcast.

Sounds perfect. I'll listen for business travel. Thanks.

gamz

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 33m33 minutes ago
No change for Dusty tonight: Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy in Wash vs Det. Man, if Ausmus walks Harper a bunch will be hilarious

Dusty being dusty.

bebop242

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 33m33 minutes ago
No change for Dusty tonight: Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy in Wash vs Det. Man, if Ausmus walks Harper a bunch will be hilarious

Dusty being dusty.

Too bad Neifi Perez isn't around to spell Zimmerman.

Against Kersh? Just give him an L already.

Also Fuck the Angels. Let them Rot in last place. Mikey come home.

Top Bottom