• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

Man this team is still depressing. All these pitchers that set if up to compete for at least 4 years wasted because Terry can't manage and Sandy can't draft.

Sad.

joe girardi is a joke. i actually hate the way great players get these ass-kissing tours when they retire, but c'mon man. this is so petty, and the jeter things makes it completely indefensible.

Beckx

still trying to figure out exactly what Pirates management is going for. really wondering if they've decided that their window closed but they can still draw fans for a while & make money even if they salary dump to the point that they can't realistically compete.

i guess the proof will be in what they do during the off-season.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Across the street this morning, they're putting up the Gaylord Perry statue:

AH86pjc.jpg

This whole ARod situation is so bizarre.

It really is. Girardi goes from, "If he wants to play all four games, I'll find a way," to, "I'm not here to manage a farewell tour," yet -0.1 fWAR Derek Jeter got 634 plate appearances in 145 games in 2014. I think Hal got in Girardi's ear. I'm convinced A-Rod's going to take a dump on that personal services thing and sign with another team.

Tommy Stokke of FanRag is reporting that when the Braves called the Yankees asking about Brian McCann before the trade deadline, Brian Cashman told John Coppolella that he wanted Ender Inciarte and Mike Foltynewicz for him.

So, yeah, that died quick.

It really is. Girardi goes from, "If he wants to play all four games, I'll find a way," to, "I'm not here to manage a farewell tour," yet -0.1 fWAR Derek Jeter got 634 plate appearances in 145 games in 2014. I think Hal got in Girardi's ear. I'm convinced A-Rod's going to take a dump on that personal services thing and sign with another team.

Absolutely. If I was A-Rod, I'd simply be pissed that the Yanks are treating him like shit. Even with his transgressions, ultimately, the Yankees are stumbling towards the door, desperately trying to shed the contract they have.

And it's not a good look for them. Especially, as you said, compared to the pomp Jeter got.

Malo

Banned
Tommy Stokke of FanRag is reporting that when the Braves called the Yankees asking about Brian McCann before the trade deadline, Brian Cashman told John Coppolella that he wanted Ender Inciarte and Mike Foltynewicz for him.

So, yeah, that died quick.
Cash trying to fleece everyone.

And, yeah, the Yankees have handled the A-Rod situation terribly. Girardi is coming off as big hypocrite and a liar. I've lost some respect for him.

BFIB

Absolutely. If I was A-Rod, I'd simply be pissed that the Yanks are treating him like shit. Even with his transgressions, ultimately, the Yankees are stumbling towards the door, desperately trying to shed the contract they have.

And it's not a good look for them. Especially, as you said, compared to the pomp Jeter got.
It'd be one thing if the Yankees felt they had a shot. Hell, it's not even at the end of the season. Just odd to drag through the mud like this.

BigAT

Can we stop pretending that A-Rod is anywhere near the same level for the Yankees as Jeter? Such an absurd comparison I keep seeing here.

It'd be one thing if the Yankees felt they had a shot. Hell, it's not even at the end of the season. Just odd to drag through the mud like this.

Exactly! And hell, even more hilarious when you think about the fact that they let Jeter do the rounds and play the whole goddamn year and they were second in the AL East in 2014.

A-Rod retires tomorrow, and you aren't giving him shit? Like come on Girardi.

Can we stop pretending that A-Rod is anywhere near the same level for the Yankees as Jeter? Such an absurd comparison I keep seeing here.

Ultimately, he isn't. But at the same time, you expect Girardi to at least yield and let A-Rod start.

While the Yankees have indeed managed this quite poorly...

A-Rod's going to take a dump on that personal services thing and sign with another team.

Sign with another team? Who? The Sonoma Stompers with Canseco?

Yankees treating a future HoF'er like he's some sort of criminal, smh

Future HOFer? Who? Arod? Hahahahahahhahahaahhaha

No kidding. It's quite ridiculous.

BFIB

I see your point, but the Yankees tend to say goodbye in style. Not like this.

ARod is gonna be Maloface all day tomorrow.

A-Rod was a huge part of them winning the World Series in 2009. You can argue that he wasn't very effective the other times they went, but you can't deny how big of a part he was in 2009.

BigAT

A-Rod was a huge part of them winning the World Series in 2009. You can argue that he wasn't very effective the other times they went, but you can't deny how big of a part he was in 2009.

You're absolutely correct, he was a huge part of the 2009 run. Now explain to me how that puts him even in the same breath as 5-time World Series winner, 20 seasons in pinstripes, never had multiple PED controversies, darling of the city, Yankee captain Derek Jeter.

I'm not overlooking A-Rod's lifetime accomplishments. But when it comes to his standing with the Yankees, anyone that even hints at a comparison with Jeter is INSANE.

BFIB

You're absolutely correct, he was a huge part of the 2009 run. Now explain to me how that puts him even in the same breath as 5-time World Series winner, 20 seasons in pinstripes, never had multiple PED controversies, darling of the city, Yankee captain Derek Jeter.

I'm not overlooking A-Rod's lifetime accomplishments. But when it comes to his standing with the Yankees, anyone that even hints at a comparison with Jeter is INSANE.
ARod only has this week. There are Boston fans who probably wanted to see him one last time.

you sure about that?

but it doesn't even matter if arod isn't as much of a "true yankee" as jeter or whatever. girardi said he's trying to win games and isn't concerned about farewell tours, when that simply wasn't true with jeter.

JoseDFrog

Banned
If Girardi would've kept his mouth shut on Sunday, this wouldn't be an issue. The backpedaling with the bullshit excuses is what's making the Jeter comparisons pop up. The statements about needing to win games and not managing farewell tours are patently false. Jeter got to play (both badly and deservedly) for a full year when the team was at least slightly more competitive than this year's.

As Yankee fans we have accepted that this season is a wash, hell look how excited we've been to sell and how they dangled just about every player at the deadline. Don't tell me 4 games are going to make or break this season. Whether A-Rod deserves to play is irrelevant, we want the chance to be entertained by him before he goes away. Had he not made a promise, I would've have been upset, but breaking his promise and bullshitting his way through his reasoning is infuriating.

Top Bottom