• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

BFIB

Re watched Molinas double. In Busch that's not a dead ball, but I do think MLB needs to add a rule that managers can challenge pending review on those kinds of plays.

KingBroly

Banned
Re watched Molinas double. In Busch that's not a dead ball, but I do think MLB needs to add a rule that managers can challenge pending review on those kinds of plays.

Hitting the back wall is a dead ball. There's a yellow line above the front wall, meaning if the ball touches anything above it on a bounce, that's a GRD. Problem is they covered it with their Ring of Fame shit.

Blue Jays refusing interviews with certain reporters down the stretch

Tensions appear high in the Toronto Blue Jays clubhouse, as the defending American League East champs frantically make their playoff push.

Reports indicate a feud brewing with certain media members, as the Toronto Sun's Steve Buffery wrote Thursday that players are refusing interviews with a pair local sportswriters.

According to Buffery, photos of both writers were pinned to the clubhouse wall with an "X" scratched on their faces, accompanied by a caption that reads something to the effect of "Do not grant them interviews."

The report also alleges tension between reporters and some of the younger players on the team such as Roberto Osuna, who earlier this week was reportedly followed into a private area of the clubhouse and told off by one journalist for avoiding the media.

The spat comes on the heels of a public battle in Cleveland, in which one local writer was slammed by Indians players for saying their season was over due to key injuries. As for the rift in Toronto, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons sounds unconcerned.

Asked about the wall photos, Gibbons said he didn't agree with it but that the clubhouse is the players' "sanctuary." Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro told Buffery he hadn't seen nor heard about the photos and declined further comment.

I am assuming that most of the people that they won't give interviews to are Sun reporters. Especially Simmonds.

For clarity, the original article by Buffery:

What's going on in the Blue Jays clubhouse?

But you have to wonder. You have to wonder if this team, once clearly in the driver’s seat for a playoff spot but now fighting tooth and nail just to make the wild card, is coming apart at the seams and if there’s a leadership void inside the clubhouse.

Why, for example, would the leaders on the team allow someone to put up on a wall photos of two Toronto sports writers with an 'X' scratched on their face and the a message written on top reading, ‘Do not grant them interviews’ (or words to that effect)?

On the surface, a pretty juvenile stunt. But also unprofessional. And it’s something, a couple of journalists pointed out to a Jays official, the New York Yankees would never allow in their clubhouse.

And it’s not just those photos. There have been a number of incidents inside the Jays clubhouse recently that suggest that there may be a bit of panic setting in.

Things like: Someone cranking up the music just when the media arrives to conduct pre-game interviews. That’s happened more than a couple of times. It happened again on Thursday. Again, on the surface, silly, stupid. But, again, unnecessary. The media have a job to do, just like the players. Fans almost always take the side of the players when there’s an issue with the media, but teams with confidence and swagger don’t need to pulls stunts like putting pictures of writers on a wall.

There was an incident the other night when a couple of journalists tried to corral struggling closer Roberto Osuna for an interview, but he kept blowing them off. Finally, one reporter followed him right into a private part of the clubhouse and told him off. Certainly something nobody, especially a young player like Osuna, needs.

Following a loss a few weeks ago, the starting pitchers retreated into a room for a meeting and then wandered back into the clubhouse. A good dozen or more writers and broadcasters witnessed what went down and naturally someone asked Marcus Stroman (who started that day) what the meeting was about. Stroman told the guy that it was none of his business.

KingBroly

Banned
Dream Scenario:
Detroit finishes a half-game back of Seattle for the final WC spot, so they have to beat Cleveland to force a play-in game. Cleveland beats them so they're eliminated :D

Chris R

If the braves, sox and struggle ass yanks win today that would be great.

Dream Scenario:
Detroit finishes a half-game back of Seattle for the final WC spot, so they have to beat Cleveland to force a play-in game. Cleveland beats them so they're eliminated :D

I'll allow it

Malo

Banned
Just spoke to Arod, he fully supports the Mariners

Go Mariner Go!!
EmLierS.jpg

Chase17

The Pitch 02
I'm ready to declare this the greatest tv show (or movie) involving baseball.

I don't even mind the rough transitions into the flashbacks in this episode.

Meatfist

Work is bussing us all to ATT Park for the Giants/Dodgers game, yissssss

Am I going to get myself into trouble by wearing a Dodgers shirt?

Blue Jays refusing interviews with certain reporters down the stretch

I am assuming that most of the people that they won't give interviews to are Sun reporters. Especially Simmonds.

For clarity, the original article by Buffery:

What's going on in the Blue Jays clubhouse?

Team needs a bit of a cleaning at this point. They still have many pieces that deliver. The pitching staff is solid and the bullpen isn't as broken as it appears. The hitting should be good. It might be a lineup problem or just a management problem.

Gibbons gotta go.

Team needs a bit of a cleaning at this point. They still have many pieces that deliver. The pitching staff is solid and the bullpen isn't as broken as it appears. The hitting should be good. It might be a lineup problem or just a management problem.

Gibbons gotta go.

Not to say that he doesn't have to, or won't go, but blaming the manager for the inconsistency in this line-up seems wrong to me.

Not to say that he doesn't have to, or won't go, but blaming the manager for the inconsistency in this line-up seems wrong to me.

I am not really blaming him for that. It has a lot more to do with bad calls when it comes to pinch hitting, bullpen usage and dumb shit that happened on Monday.

As for lineup inconsistency, at a certain point team philosophy has to be an issue. That may fall more to the hitting coach but when the league adjusted to the Jays big bats, I didn't see a counter. Sure, maybe some players don't have the skill but it's still an issue and I think coaching is partially to blame for that. I say that knowing the coaches can only do so much.

I am not really blaming him for that. It has a lot more to do with bad calls when it comes to pinch hitting, bullpen usage and dumb shit that happened on Monday.

Fair on the bullpen management, although I'm not sure how bad he's actually been. I mean, Grilli and Benoit were deployed pretty effectively, no?

Pinch-hitting I don't think has enough of an impact to judge a manager on.

And Monday's nothing that should be put on a manager. Pretty much *every* team does that.

As for lineup inconsistency, at a certain point team philosophy has to be an issue. That may fall more to the hitting coach but when the league adjusted to the Jays big bats, I didn't see a counter. Sure, maybe some players don't have the skill but it's still an issue and I think coaching is partially to blame for that. I say that knowing the coaches can only do so much.

What do you mean by team philosophy here?

Fair on the bullpen management, although I'm not sure how bad he's actually been. I mean, Grilli and Benoit were deployed pretty effectively, no?

Pinch-hitting I don't think has enough of an impact to judge a manager on.

And Monday's nothing that should be put on a manager. Pretty much *every* team does that.

What do you mean by team philosophy here?

For the bullpen I think when he finds something that works, like Grilli and Benoit, he sticks to it. That's good. However, when something isn't working like Osuna in non-save situations he also sticks to that. He will also stick with relievers in roles when they are faltering. It's tough, because I understand the resources he has are limited but at the same time there are times when he's making a decision that everyone seems to know is the wrong one except for him.

I disagree with you about Monday. While Happ is accountable for a lot of the blame the buck in these situations should absolutely stop with the manager. This is his team, if we can't hold him accountable for his player's actions in situations like that then his impact on the team is nil to begin with, making him entirely expendable.

Philosophy might have been the wrong word to use. I am talking about their overall approach at the plate as a team. To be fair, the core players on this team have found ways to adapt. Donaldson, Tulo, Encarnacion and Martin are playing about as well as I would expect. I do find their situational hitting to be frustrating. Too many big swings. In Gibbons' defense, the team is built for that, but I do think adjustments need to be made when long ball isn't working.

Some lineup choices bugged me. The reliance on Smoak is frustrating. That goes straight to the top since he was signed to two additional years. That's one player we could do without.

I like Gibbons a lot. I don't think he is to blame for all the problems of the team. The players themselves are accountable for a lot of what they do. However, there are enough issues that warrant a change. I really do want to see him win it with Toronto. Hell, with all the nagging problems this team has Toronto is still in the Wild Card with three games left in the season. I just think this team is capable of a lot more than we saw from them this year and I feel Gibbons is holding the Blue Jays back. A new manager and a few new bats in the lineup couldn't hurt next year.

The Reds have announced Bryan Price will be returning in 2017 to manage. It's a one-year deal with a club option for 2018.

I don't see why not. The team was shit this year and everyone knew they would be. It reminds me of how we were this season with Pete.

kinda a why not? kinda thing

BFIB

Friggz

with a few games left in the season, who does everyone have winning the 4 major awards?

AL CY - Kluber
AL ROY - Sanchez
AL MVP - Trout

NL CY - I actually have no idea. Syndegaard? Scherzer? Cueto?
NL ROY - Seager
NL MVP - Bryant or Seager

I forgot about the MVP somehow. So I'm adding that

Top Bottom