• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
I have another arod pic that you can put in the rotation, h3ro.
4pBFu.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
Just watched some classic baseball movies recently to get the hype going. The Natural (of course), Major League, and Bull Durham.

It always gets me about these old movies that the big thing is always to win the pennant. Not the whole thing, just THE PENNANT. And it comes down to a one game playoff to do that even. Makes sense with The Natural, even though it's not winning the whole thing. Not really with Major League when the playoffs were split into dviisions.

Just a funny observation, and I'm pretty sure other baseball movies that escape me follow the same model. Winning the AL/NL pennant = everything. The whole thing? Ah fuck it, we don't give a shit.

Sanjuro

Just watched some classic baseball movies recently to get the hype going. The Natural (of course), Major League, and Bull Durham.

It always gets me about these old movies that the big thing is always to win the pennant. Not the whole thing, just THE PENNANT. And it comes down to a one game playoff to do that even. Makes sense with The Natural, even though it's not winning the whole thing. Not really with Major League when the playoffs were split into dviisions.

Just a funny observation, and I'm pretty sure other baseball movies that escape me follow the same model. Winning the AL/NL pennant = everything. The whole thing? Ah fuck it, we don't give a shit.

2004 ALCS. dat pennant.

TheNatural

My Member!
2004 ALCS. dat pennant.

Didn't watch, I boycott everything Boston vs. NY in the playoffs. :p

Also, I guess the movies wouldn't have been as exciting if after Roy Hobbs took out the scoreboard to win the pennant and left with his new son and old girlfriend, they just got swept in the World Series and the movie ended like that.

Braun won his appeal. First appeal ever won at the MLB level and second ever since testing began in 2004.

Braun will not be suspended and will be with the Brewers on opening day.

jehuty

Good for Braun. Still, his legacy is now tainted and when cubs fans come to Miller park they'll let him know that he has herpes.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ryan Braun has won his appeal of his failed drug test and will not be suspended for the first 50 games of the season, reports Tom Haudricourt of The Journal Sentinel (Twitter links). The union officially announced the win, saying both parties agreed to the announcement despite what is usually a confidential process.

The reigning NL MVP is the first player to have a suspended overtuned through the appeals process. MLB.com's Adam McCalvy says (on Twitter) that Braun won by a 2-1 margin. MLB has issued a statement saying it "vehemently disagrees" with the decision.
Hmm interesting, I didn't see the release on their pressbox site,
Anyone have a link for that?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Haudricourt says the appeal went Braun's way not because of the test result, but because of a technicality with the testing process. Independent arbitrator Shyam Das ruled in favor of the technicality, giving the reigning NL MVP the win by a 2-1 margin. Braun is the first player to have a suspension successfully overtuned through the appeals process.
lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom