• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The guy who took Braun's sample left it in his fucking refridgerator for 2 days instead of mailing it through FedEx immediately because he thought they closed early on Saturday nights.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, UMAD SELIG?
Lolololol

In other hilarious news, Mike Minor told reporters today that if he doesn't start the season in the Braves rotation, he should be traded.

Who is he to make that kind of demand? :lol

Jangocube

Banned
Wow. Early drafts had some fantasy gambling. Those who drafted Braun in round 8 or 9 won big time.

Yeah, wish I drafted all my Fantasy teams this past week =( I was able to get him in almost every mock draft at around the 8th round. Oh well, now the cheater will be back in the 1st round. Shakes things up a bit.

Do you think the Herpes Hammer cares about public opinion?

BTW, this is an awesome nickname for him and I shall use it whenever I talk about him for the rest of his career.

Disagree. He's white and he's "exonerated" now. Although it looks like the media is getting around to the fact he got off on a technicality and wasn't actually innocent, so maybe you're right.

You know, people still hate "white" cheaters as well. You do know that right? Or are you just race baiting because you have no other argument? Stupid either way.

Need some help GAF. I'm currently in a MiLB draft and from last years draftees who should I select. These players below are already been pick

Anthony Rendon
Bubba Starling
Gerrit Cole
Dylan Bundy
Trevor Bauer

Could use some help..Thx

TAMPA, Fla. -- Troubled former Major League Baseball player Elijah Dukes has been arrested again, this time on drug charges.

Tampa police say the 27-year-old was arrested during a traffic stop early Thursday after officers noticed a small bag of marijuana on his lap. Authorities say he then tried to stick the drug in his mouth as if he were going to ingest it. They also noticed a marijuana cigarette tucked behind his ear.

The former outfielder for the Tampa Bay Rays and the Washington Nationals faces charges of tampering with physical evidence, possession of marijuana and possession of a drug.

He's being held on $4,750 bail at the Hillsborough County Jail. It's unclear whether he's retained an attorney.

Dukes has been arrested five times in the past year, mostly on driving offenses.

rekameohs

Banned
Need some help GAF. I'm currently in a MiLB draft and from last years draftees who should I select. These players below are already been pick

Anthony Rendon
Bubba Starling
Gerrit Cole
Dylan Bundy
Trevor Bauer

Could use some help..Thx

Do you want someone who will start off better, or someone with a better upside? Danny Hultzen would be a good choice for doing well this year, but Archie Bradley has tremendous upside. Probably won't be fully realized next year though.

newjeruse

Barring the Orioles' development philosophy completely fucking him up, Dylan Bundy is basically the perfect prep pitching prospect.

It also doesn't explain how he tested positive for having enough testosterone for ten men, plus two. Unless that's no longer operative? I remember hearing he had some absurdly high result.

I hope it turns out that leaving piss in a refrigerator for two days gives you a massive testosterone boost. That could change the world.

Jangocube

Banned
Barring the Orioles' development philosophy completely fucking him up, Dylan Bundy is basically the perfect prep pitching prospect.

Well, when it comes to young pitchers, we usually mess them up.

Dude is gonna get Matusz'd so hard.

I didn't think the O's treated him badly, but his speed just keeps declining. He was fun to watch at the end of 2010 too =(. Oh well, could still rebound and be decent.

Do you want someone who will start off better, or someone with a better upside? Danny Hultzen would be a good choice for doing well this year, but Archie Bradley has tremendous upside. Probably won't be fully realized next year though.

was leaning towards Hultzen. Drafted McGuire, Harvey and Valencia last couple of years. Thx for the help

Good to see Braun's suspension was over-turned.

This reveals what a terrible drug testing system MLB uses. The guy puts the player's urine in his fridge for two days before it gets to the lab? Duh, I can tell you right away that that's NOT okay.

Good to see Braun's suspension was over-turned.

This reveals what a terrible drug testing system MLB uses. The guy puts the player's urine in his fridge for two days before it gets to the lab? Duh, I can tell you right away that that's NOT okay.

It would clearly lead to a positive test.

It would clearly lead to a positive test.

I didn't say that. We'll see if Braun gives more details tomorrow about what he might have taken that caused the spike in testosterone. It's my belief that he probably DID take something that caused the positive test. If it was STD medication or something else, who knows.

But I'm sorry, having a player's sample stored in some guy's fridge for a couple days before it's tested just opens up a whole can of worms. MLB should try to remove as much doubt from the process as they are able. Any samples that are delayed from the lab for such an extended period of time should be discarded. New samples should be obtained.

Sanjuro

I'm still going to uphold the suspension in the MLB league, eznark. You can still appeal though. Just urinate in a DLC cup, then leave it in your Playstation Home refrigerator. I'm sure someone from FedEx still uses that service.

Windu

Mike Minor said:
"I feel like I proved myself," he said. "I was in Triple-A all last year pretty much. The year before I had some time [in the majors]. I'm getting older every year, so there's no reason for me to be sitting in Triple-A."

"But after a month or two, somebody's got to go [when Hudson returns]," Minor said. "Overall, it's not really - it's about making the team, but if ... I can control my third pitch and have a decent fourth pitch, then there's no reason I shouldn't pitch in the big leagues somewhere. If they don't have room for me here, then there's no reason they shouldn't trade me. Just do something with me.

"I'm 24 now, I'm not the young guy that just got drafted. I'm a college guy and I'm getting older and older, so you don't want to wait. That's how I feel about it. I don't feel like waiting until I'm 26, 27."
i don't blame him, i doubt he goes back down though.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-braves/2012/2/23/2820271/mike-minor-atlanta-braves-trade

I didn't say that. We'll see if Braun gives more details tomorrow about what he might have taken that caused the spike in testosterone. It's my belief that he probably DID take something that caused the positive test. If it was STD medication or something else, who knows.

But I'm sorry, having a player's sample stored in some guy's fridge for a couple days before it's tested just opens up a whole can of worms. MLB should try to remove as much doubt from the process as they are able. Any samples that are delayed from the lab for such an extended period of time should be discarded. New samples should be obtained.

I believe the 'Braun Mexico" "Herpes Hammer" theory, myself.

Sanjuro

Good luck enforcing it.

Free at last!!!!

qQziI.jpg

We need to test this other fellow now. Cincinnati is known for drugs.

eznark

Banned
Test away. Its nice having the cleanest player in baseball on my team.

If only Rodney Harrison's sample had been tampered with.

They way Braun is talking, it's as if he has NO DOUBT he was completely innocent. I do remember the test being considerably higher than any other in history. It smells fishy... then again, piss always smells fishy after sitting around for a few days. So, what do I know?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Got my BP Annual. The new Astros owner's company has been punished for gender discrimination, racial discrimination, and war profiteering.

They way Braun is talking, it's as if he has NO DOUBT he was completely innocent. I do remember the test being considerably higher than any other in history. It smells fishy... then again, piss always smells fishy after sitting around for a few days. So, what do I know?

How do you know what piss smells like after a few days?

I just can't believe that MLB is that incompetent after beating the drum about how good their testing system is nowadays. Surely if they requested an urine test on a weekend, they would have an idea of how to transport the specimen to the lab in a timely fashion?

I love how the press report says that MLB disagrees "vehemently" with the arbitrator's decision though. Wonder if they'll scrutinize Braun a bit more this season.

How do you know what piss smells like after a few days?

Funny you should ask. I know from several instances.

1. We had a broken toilet. My cousin didn't know, he pissed in it.
2. My friend in college pissed in my toilet and didn't flush, and we went camping for a few days. I came back, and.. well, the same smell.
3. At work, I pissed in a toilet that was out of order while I was on this one floor going through all the files. After I did it the first time, I got to thinking "Well, ain't gonna get any cleaner" so I kept pissing in it that day. The whole floor of a huge downtown building smelled, well, like the same smell.

Kinda fishy... a disgusting smell.'

So... baseball, yeah?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
maybe. I still think if everyone is healthy he is probably behind Beachy and Hanson.

Hanson I do not expect to stay healthy; Beachy should put up better numbers, but I think Minor will throw more innings. I don't know, I was mostly trying to be hyperbolic with that part.

eznark

Banned
Brewers player rep Narveson told MLB.com that the team has had serious issues and concerns with their test collector for a long time and had previously complained to the league.

Dude with a grudge! Tester must have swapped Braun's cup with another, more testosterone filled specimen, like a horse or Hope Solo

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Stop talking about piss unless we talking about PED testing or Josh Hamilton the morning after

eznark

Banned
I met Dick Lugar today. I went to the bathroom right before meeting him. While washing my hands, I splashed a drip of water on my crotch and it looked like I didn't shake enough.

I think it turned him on.

Windu

Hanson I do not expect to stay healthy; Beachy should put up better numbers, but I think Minor will throw more innings. I don't know, I was mostly trying to be hyperbolic with that part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dlLXKg8_g
Brewers player rep Narveson told MLB.com that the team has had serious issues and concerns with their test collector for a long time and had previously complained to the league.

Dude with a grudge! Tester must have swapped Braun's cup with another, more testosterone filled specimen, like a horse or Hope Solo
they probably paid him off so they would have an excuse if someone got caught.

Stop talking about piss unless we talking about PED testing or Josh Hamilton the morning after

I get the feeling this is not the last we'll hear about the sample. MLB-GAF has been deader than dead. Maybe some good ole fashioned controversy will get the juices flowing again.

Madtown_

Wooo what a day today!
I haven't been on gaf for a while but wanted to see the response here.

Such bullshit. If he had been innocent then I would have been happy to see him cleared, but he cheated and just got off on some technicality. I hope he has a horrible season.
Got off on some technicality? How did you expect him to get off? It's either he disputes the lab results or he disputes the process to get the sample to the lab. Clearly he'll do the latter.

The fact that there was this 48 hour waiting period and his levels of testosterone were 'insanely high, higher than those of any previous test' could lead one to argue for tampering. I'm with Mr. Rodgers on this one, though. He seemed a little riled up.

I have no idea if a test can become tainted from sitting in someone's house for that long, but because he passed the other tests I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
That's interesting, somehow I hadn't heard that was the case. I know after the failed test he asked for another and it was negative, adding to his case somewhat.

The worst part about this from Braun's POV is that the public knows about it; thanks to someone high up at MLB and some ESPN reporters, his reputation has taken a hit that won't recover thanks to the guilty-until-innocent (and even then, it's a conspiracy or technicality) internet, which is a shame.

This is what Will Carrol has said:

“@injuryexpert: Repeatable result showed exactly how Braun's single test showed positive. Arbitrator agreed. Simple, isn't it?”

“@injuryexpert: The Braun decision was based on HOW the sample was corrupted. Panel was shown exactly what happened, why result was invalid.”

IF, and I mean IF, he is right, then this becomes really really interesting.

Can't wait to see what Braun says tomorrow.

eznark

Banned
This is what Will Carrol has said:

“@injuryexpert: Repeatable result showed exactly how Braun's single test showed positive. Arbitrator agreed. Simple, isn't it?”

“@injuryexpert: The Braun decision was based on HOW the sample was corrupted. Panel was shown exactly what happened, why result was invalid.”

IF, and I mean IF, he is right, then this becomes really really interesting.

Can't wait to see what Braun says tomorrow.

Hart sounds pretty adamant that they knew exactly what had happened the entire time. Very odd. ESPN is clearly in the "Braun got off on a technicality" tank and MLB is pushing it as well. No other outlets to push the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom