• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Binx said:
Is tonight's game worth me getting out of bed and getting my laptop?
i don't know, maybe. Apparently this is the first round of the NPB playoffs. No Darvish tonight though.

Windu

mike piazza is behind the plate, the ball bounces about 10 times before it gets to 2nd.

Windu

stadium looks like a spaceship

XcJD0.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Dome

the high walls and turf (and short people on the field) make the field look bigger than it is.

328 in left
400 in center
328 in right

edit: its roughly the size of turner field, but with 19ft walls.

beast786

Get rid of brad penny and get me some reliever and a 2nd base. We already have a young gun starter. So reliever as a main need. Bosch will be back so our outfield will be ok.

Needs

1)2nd base
2) Long reliever.

Brian Wolfe is pitching, and we didn't know who he was until...
He was called up in 2007 and finished the year with a solid 3-1 record and 2.98 ERA despite his average repertoire. He made his major league debut when Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees may have shouted "Mine!" to distract third baseman Howie Clark from catching an easy pop fly. Clark was unable to catch the baseball because of Rodriguez and the run scored. Wolfe was charged with the run in his major league debut. On March 28, 2009, Wolfe was optioned to Triple AAA Las Vegas 51s, and was recalled on May 1, 2009. On December 7, 2009, Wolfe refused a minor league assignment and became a free agent.[1] On January 8, 2010, Wolfe agreed to a contract with the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters in the Pacific League of Nippon Professional Baseball.

... Vladimir Koslov?
Russian guy said:
Japanese baseball in the Internet… [atasnyy]! I for that so that all would learn the Russian language. Also, if you transfer, you [ebannyy] into the mouth… banter above.

Windu

well so much for that game lol. 7 runs in the ninth by the lions. (lions win the 3 game series, darvish's last game in NPB?) Fatty with the 3 run bomb. I wonder if this is the last game that will start this early in japan.

Sanjuro

arglebargle said:
what does it take to call myself a yankees fan? i suffered through the roberto kelly/mell hall/jesse barfield teams as a kid, and now i go to a third of each season (split season tickets three ways) but i know it takes a lot to be considered an actual yankees fan. what do i have to do, get a tattoo?
You still grew up with the greatest franchise in history. Before you say anything, Celtics and Eric Montross.

Sanjuro

h3ro said:
Knicks, Charles Smith.

'sup.
The Knicks aren't even in the same breath as the Celtics. Hell, there are a ton of Celtics fans in NY due to the fact they suck so hard. I was just comparing the down years of top teams.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Branduil said:
So who is going to “win” the CJ Wilson sweepstakes?

Seriously?

Yeah that team who wins the guy who threw 223 innings this year with a 2.94 ERA even while pitching half his games in Texas is going to be so god damn unfortunate.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Branduil said:
I agree. Any time you can pay a guy with zero playoff wins over 80 million dollars you've gotta do it.

Well that settles that.

Cardinals need to lock up Allen Craig and David Freese to long-term extensions first before they even think about resigning Pujols.

Sanjuro

I would be fine signing CJ. The postseason certainly hurt his value, but he is a solid top to middle of rotation guy. Unfortunately he will be Lackey'd this offseason due to lack of available pitchers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I would be fine signing CJ. The postseason certainly hurt his value, but he is a solid top to middle of rotation guy. Unfortunately he will be Lackey'd this offseason due to lack of available pitchers.

5 years / 80 million for CJ Wilson totally sounds about right.

He is far, far, far better than John Lackey was going into FA.

I assume you meant he gets Lackey'd and gets something far above his actual talent level would indicate he should. That sounds about right, but if CC is seriously testing the market and Yu Darvish enters the fray then that might not actually happen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't want Wilson at ALL. Not only did he suck in the post season, he also blew the all star game in 1IP. Total trash.

Sanjuro

Y2Kev said:
I don't want Wilson at ALL. Not only did he suck in the post season, he also blew the all star game in 1IP. Total trash.
Well for you guys, no. You have white trash who only shows up when he wants to. For that alone I guess he is worth something. If you combine him and CJ you have a complete pitcher!

Doytch

Really hope no one here thinks GMs are stupid enough to overrate CJ's playoff stats.

Though I do think he'll be a negative value investment (like nearly every big money, long term FA sign). He should be pretty damn good next year though.

cashman

Banned
I honestly just think CJ hit a wall in October. He put a lot of mileage on his arm during one of the hottest summers in DFW history.

Windu said:
well so much for that game lol. 7 runs in the ninth by the lions. (lions win the 3 game series, darvish's last game in NPB?) Fatty with the 3 run bomb. I wonder if this is the last game that will start this early in japan.
the next game won't be on until 5 30 eastern rather than 1 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom