• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Beckx

p. good review of where the Pirates are so far in the offseason on Bucs Dugout:

This has no doubt been a strange offseason, and if pitchers like Vogelsong and Nicasio and Feliz and Jon Niese aren't significantly better than it looks like they're going to be, criticism of the team will probably be intense, and it will probably be justified.

Right now it feels like everything is banked on a hail mary of Searage Magic and/or Glasnow/Taillon coming in to save the rotation (and Taillon hasn't thrown a pitch in 2 years).

Also BD has a list of Bucs players that filed for arbitration,

Francisco Cervelli (5.146) – $2.5 million
Jared Hughes (3.162) – $2.2 million
Jeff Locke (3.020) – $3.5 million
Mark Melancon (5.098) – $10.0 million
Jordy Mercer (3.095) – $1.8 million
Chris Stewart (5.091) – $1.6 million
Tony Watson (4.101) – $4.6 million

Melancon is getting traded, almost guaranteed. That or they will actually take him to arbitration.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Seems bizarre to force teams to carry a specific Spanish language translator when plenty of coaches can easily handle the job.

If MLB wants to mandate a Spanish language translator in each clubhouse they should foot the damn bill.
sounds like its the player's union demanding it.

Outstanding. Mendoza is great, and now I can finally watch Sunday night without my intelligence being insulted and assaulted as it has been since Joe Morgan first took the Sunday night mic.

FINALLY.

I wouldn't say she is great. She is better than Schilling and Kruk though. Boone is okay.

I wouldn't say she is great. She is better than Schilling and Kruk though. Boone is okay.

When we're talking Sunday Night Baseball broadcast teams, everything is relative.

Honestly, give me Matt Vasgersian for that spot any day. Lauren Shehadi could be on there too. That'd be okay.

Beckx

This is a pretty creative deal (and not all or nothing, benchmarks seem pretty fair).

‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Kenta Maeda's deal w/ Dodgers has $3M/year salary for eight seasons. Annual bonuses up to $8.15M. Max value of the deal is $90.2M.

‏@JeffPassan
Once Maeda reaches 90 IP, he gets $250K for every 10 IP up to 200 ($3M total). He also gets $1M for 15th, 20th, 25th, 30th and 32nd starts.

harSon

Banned
p. good review of where the Pirates are so far in the offseason on Bucs Dugout:

Right now it feels like everything is banked on a hail mary of Searage Magic and/or Glasnow/Taillon coming in to save the rotation (and Taillon hasn't thrown a pitch in 2 years).

Also BD has a list of Bucs players that filed for arbitration,

Melancon is getting traded, almost guaranteed. That or they will actually take him to arbitration.

We're pretty much banking on the 2017 season

It's not often you can sign a guy for his floor rather than his ceiling. Almost no risk deal for the Dodgers. Wonder if Maeda's medicals were scary.

Malvingt2

why?

atlmilfight2.gif

never forget.

and WUT

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Reported in Sept. that #Braves liked Cespedes - but that was before they put Olivera in LF. Would need to trade OFer to make it happen now.

Yes, #Braves could trade Inciarte - if they believed Cespedes could play CF. They then could move a corner OFer later, once Smith was ready.

RBH

Reported in Sept. that #Braves liked Cespedes - but that was before they put Olivera in LF. Would need to trade OFer to make it happen now.

Yes, #Braves could trade Inciarte - if they believed Cespedes could play CF. They then could move a corner OFer later, once Smith was ready.

Cespedes has been one of my favorites since he entered the league with Oakland, so from that perspective, it would be great to see him on the Braves. But at the same time, I'm not sure if he fits this team given its current state.

Malvingt2

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
if 9-18-51-52-55-powerball23 comes in, you very likely wont see any more tweets about minor-league deals

We're pretty much banking on the 2017 season

Pirates are building a sustainable franchise under Huntington. It's sort of like what the Cardinals have done over the past decade (with even less payroll) and I personally like that better than Theo Epstein's strategy with Boston and now Chicago.

I value sustainable, consistent success over super teams because literally anything can happen in the postseason. Pirates are in a good position, IMO

What's not sustainable about the Cubs?

I doubt Lester, Heyward, Lackey, or Zobrist's contracts are going to make them less likely to resign our young players.

And we actually have the $$$ to do it.

What's not sustainable about the Cubs?

I doubt Lester, Heyward, Lackey, or Zobrist's contracts are going to make them less likely to resign our young players.

And we actually have the $$$ to do it.

Cubs sustainability remains to be seen, but I'm just going off of Epstein's track record. Which isn't particularly good in that specific area. Maybe he learned from his mistakes in Boston.

Boston was very boom-or-bust under him. Which is great if you end up winning it all like they did in 2004 or 2007, not so much if you fall short.

Cubs sustainability remains to be seen, but I'm just going off of Epstein's track record. Which isn't particularly good in that specific area. Maybe he learned from his mistakes in Boston.

Boston was very boom-or-bust under him. Which is great if you end up winning it all like they did in 2004 or 2007, not so much if you fall short.

I mean I get your idea, but the Sox didn't win less then 86 games under him in 8 years and won 90 or more games 6 out of the 8 years.

If it wasn't for the fried chicken and beer he would probably still be there.

I mean I get your idea, but the Sox didn't win less then 86 games under him in 8 years and won 90 or more games 6 out of the 8 years.

If it wasn't for the fried chicken and beer he would probably still be there.

I'd attribute their disastrous 2012 to him too since it was immediately right after he left, but yeah they weren't quite as boom-as-bust as I thought.

For what it's worth, I think his moves with the Cubs are moving towards a more sustainable model than Boston, but I think we still have to see what he does without top draft picks and top international slot money (as well as with trades, etc) in the next couple of years to get a better idea. But then again, Rizzo and Arrieta weren't the products of top draft picks or big IFA signings.

Agreed. Best in the business IMO

Either him or Brian Anderson make it worthwhile to watch baseball on TV. Anderson does play-by-play for the Brewers, so I'm kinda lucky to have him over someone like Hawk, ugh. It was a pleasant surprise hearing Anderson call Doc's playoff no-hitter on TBS a while back.

3N16MA

Banned
Pirates are building a sustainable franchise under Huntington. It's sort of like what the Cardinals have done over the past decade (with even less payroll) and I personally like that better than Theo Epstein's strategy with Boston and now Chicago.

I value sustainable, consistent success over super teams because literally anything can happen in the postseason. Pirates are in a good position, IMO

Heyward, Rizzo, Bryant are under 27 and could all be 5+ WAR players next season. Russell is 22, Schwarber 23, Soler 24, Baez 23. They have Torres and McKinney in the minors as top 50 prospects. You have Edwards and Underwood right behind them. That is the right way to sustain success. Mostly homegrown or acquired through trades as prospects.

@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Dee Gordon, #Marlins have agreement in principle, five years, $50M with $14M vesting option for sixth year.

This is an absolute steal for the Marlins.
couldn't help myself with that pun

Yeah Theo'd strategy in Chicago seems pretty sound and as sustainable as you can possibly get. Investing in young, cheap position player depth is much less volatile and unpredictable than having cheap, young pitching, even ones as great as the Mets for example. In terms of sustainability and long term outlook, the Cubs might be in the most envious position in baseball.

You guys aren't blessed to the greatness of Keith Gary and Ron doing Mets games.

No, watch them plenty during the season. Would rank them maybe top 5, but definitely not what I'd want to listen to every Sunday night.

They have a special edge of bitterness that's perfect for the mes and New York, but doesn't fit universally.

I'd take Enberg and Grant, Krukow and Kuiper, Scully, the Yankee radio team and and some kind of vasgersian team before Keith Gary and Ron.

Either him or Brian Anderson make it worthwhile to watch baseball on TV. Anderson does play-by-play for the Brewers, so I'm kinda lucky to have him over someone like Hawk, ugh. It was a pleasant surprise hearing Anderson call Doc's playoff no-hitter on TBS a while back.

Yeah the Phillies announcers suck. But on the other side the Flyers commentators, Jim Jackson and Keith Jones. I wish Jim did play-by-play for the Phillies too

As long as he doesn't say anything stupid about sabermetrics or "the back of baseball cards" I'm fine with it.

He kinda seems moronic at times.

Yeah I agree. But what he says as moronic is a lot better than what most announcers say.

I want to see Dero in the booth just for the laughs.

I love him on MLB central. So I have taken a liking to most of those guys and you can't hate Shehadi.

zulux21

he's the anti-vin scully in every sense

fair enough.
hawk - colorful homer who can be quite annoying at times and often makes it impossible to know what is going on in the game because he is off on a random tangent.

scully - monotone calm voice that easily puts you to sleep and thus makes it impossible to know what is going on because you are constantly napping.

>.>

aka I respect scully for what he is done, but I would never ever want him calling for my team, he is so boring and puts me to sleep @_@ to be fair I often want hawk to go away as well.

fair enough.
hawk - colorful homer who can be quite annoying at times and often makes it impossible to know what is going on in the game because he is off on a random tangent.

scully - monotone calm voice that easily puts you to sleep and thus makes it impossible to know what is going on because you are constantly napping.

>.>

aka I respect scully for what he is done, but I would never ever want him calling for my team, he is so boring and puts me to sleep @_@ to be fair I often want hawk to go away as well.

YOU NEVER BESMIRCH THE GOOD NAME OF VIN SCULLY.

The man is a national treasure and should be treated as such.

zulux21

YOU NEVER BESMIRCH THE GOOD NAME OF VIN SCULLY.

The man is a national treasure and should be treated as such.

but national treasure is just an okay movie...
why are you insulting him. You should respect him for what he has done despite his horribly boring calling.

jokes aside.
seriously I respect the guy, but I don't think I would want vin scully to announce for any team I listen to over the current announcers. he is to calm, cool, collected, monotone ect. I just zone out after like 5 seconds while listening to him.

great if he was trying to get me to be Zen, horrible if I am trying to pay attention ><

Cespedes has been one of my favorites since he entered the league with Oakland, so from that perspective, it would be great to see him on the Braves. But at the same time, I'm not sure if he fits this team given its current state.

The Braves having Nick Markakis doesn't fit either, but oh well. I feel like the Braves have to do one thing a year like this so they can yell "SEE? WE'RE NOT TANKING!" Signing Markakis to a 4-year deal is exactly what that felt like.

Beckx

wat

no

Vin called the most exciting home run hit during my lifetime and he called it great

https://youtu.be/U157X0jy5iw

the other great thing about vin is he knows when not to say a thing and just let the moment speak for itself

Yeah he did. But he gets the same manager were he hit .230+ for.

I don't think anyone expects Dee to hit .333 again, but he should still be able to maintain a good batting average. Plus, I'm thinking Bonds will help him walk more. Even if he regresses offensively, he will still be above league average defensively. I don't see him being a consistent 4-5 WAR player, but I definitely think that a couple of 2.5-3 WAR seasons are possible.

I still don't think either team "won" the trade. Giving up Andrew Heaney was the biggest mistake for both the Marlins and the Dodgers.

No, watch them plenty during the season. Would rank them maybe top 5, but definitely not what I'd want to listen to every Sunday night.

They have a special edge of bitterness that's perfect for the mes and New York, but doesn't fit universally.

I'd take Enberg and Grant, Krukow and Kuiper, Scully, the Yankee radio team and and some kind of vasgersian team before Keith Gary and Ron.

Hold on the Yankee Radio team?? John Sterling "and that's out of here!! And no hold on a sec, that was actually caught just shy of the wall by the CF."

Top Bottom