• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

zroid

Banned
FANS projections have Stroman with a higher WAR than Greinke and King Felix...

I like the idea of crowdsourced projections, but fangraphs clearly didn't account for the average dumb Toronto fan factor

EDIT: And Dickey will post his highest WAR since his Cy Young season with the Mets

The #StroGod will deliver us a championship!

The best joke of the Cubs Convention was from Dempster to Bryant
"I heard you wanted to get engaged last year, but waited until 2016 so you could get another year of control."

Dempster's talk show was great. They also gave Lackey and Lester Popeye's and Bud Light haha.

Malo

Banned
161/7 for Chris Davis
Boras does it again. Got the Orioles to bid against themselves.

Edit: Ken Rosenthal

Source confirms: Kennedy to #Royals, five years, $70M - and with an opt-out after two seasons. First reported: @jonheyman.

Even Ian Kennedy gets an opt out. This market is insane.

RBH

161/7 for Chris Davis

Jon Heyman

ian kennedy, royals in agreement on $70M, 5-yr deal
200w.gif

zulux21

Being reported that the O's are offering Cespedes 5yrs/$90m. Might be an option for a 6yr.

given rumors Cespedes' camp likely laughed at the pathetic offer when given to them.

he is looking for 6 years at 22 mil a year or 6/132 even if you break it down to 5 that would be 5/110 mil still quite far from the offer he wants.

I do wonder if the only teams offering him long term offer him way below what he wants. and he doesn't want a short term deal... if he will instead bite on a more middle deal like what the white sox are offering (which is supposed to be 3 years at around the 22 mil per season he wants)

Boras does it again. Got the Orioles to bid against themselves.

Edit: Ken Rosenthal

Source confirms: Kennedy to #Royals, five years, $70M - and with an opt-out after two seasons. First reported: @jonheyman.

Even Ian Kennedy gets an opt out. This market is insane.

I wonder why the royals grabbed a 31 year old who has been worth a -.5 war over the last 3 seasons.

I mean I am sure the white sox would have happily given them John Danks (worth 2 war over the last 3 seasons) for peanuts lol.

though I will admit the royals do have a nasty habit of snagging pitchers that look like they are done only to get them to put up career numbers.

Hanley really fucked up the perception of what you can get for 5 years/$90 million. Not shocked Cespedes is holding out for more. If he was willing to settle for that he'd have signed by now.

BigAT

Mest:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The New York Mets, who play in New York, with a metro population 10x the size of Kansas City's, currently project to have ~$106M payroll.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
One more time, just to let it sink in:

AL champ Kansas City: $130M+ payroll.

NL champ New York: ~$106M payroll.

Way to step up, Wilpons.

Kennedy had some bad luck with home runs last season, K/9 and BB/9 were still really good. Moving to Kauffman should help with that some

5/90 and a first-round pick is way too much, though

RBH

Interested to see what happens to Cespedes now.

Maybe the White Sox or Tigers get back into the bidding? Maybe the Mets make an offer?

JDHarbs

Welcome to KC, Ian Kennedy.

I'm not a fan of the deal, but Dayton has worked magic in the past with seemingly bad deals before. Hopefully this is the Kendrys Morales of the 2016 off-season.

Chris Davis contract structure: $17m annual salary 2016-2022. Annual payments $3.5m 2023-32, then $1.4m 2033-37. No interest on deferrals.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/688460749371510786

BOBBY BONILLA DEAL

If it means getting Davis for $17 AAV until 2022, probably worth it

$3.5m in the 2020s isn't going to be a whole lot, and $1.4m in the 2030s definitely will not

(The deal is still overall pretty bad, though. But this is less bad than if it was actually $161m over 7 years)

Yeah. I live in LA, it's Vin Scully's last season, and I won't be able to see any of it because I don't subscribe to Time Warner Cable. What a world.
Can you get Charter? I believe it's on that company too.

Also glad we finally got JT, Kenley sign for this year. Grandal, meh

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I want to laugh at that but the deferral amounts are so small.

The novelty of it is great. And really it doesn't matter how rich you are, getting a check in the mail for 1+ million every year in your 40s till you're 51 has to be awesome.

Amazing how Boras gets teams to bid against themselves. Every time.

rando14

OMG Yes I love Bobby bonilla deals.

Good for both parties really. Orioles aren't gonna give a shit about a few mil per year in the 2020's and in the 2030's it's basically nothing.

Meanwhile Chris Davis can have a upper upper class paycheck until he's well into middle-age

3N16MA

Banned
We're at the point where middle rotation average arms are getting opt outs and and 15M AAV. That is what happens when aces are getting 30M+ AAV.

O's outbid themselves for player no one else wanted. The deferred money helps make the contract a bit better but why even bother with Davis? Go get Cespedes or Upton for that money.

Top Bottom