• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So what are some changes you guys are hoping to see in the next CBA? I'm looking for the DH in the NL and making all draft picks trade-able.

Can you get Charter? I believe it's on that company too.

Also glad we finally got JT, Kenley sign for this year. Grandal, meh

Directv. Funny thing is, I'd actually pay good money just to have this channel, maybe even as much as a basic subscription to TWC would cost, but I don't want to have two boxes under my tv. I just want to watch Vin in the last season. It's infuriating.

Zee-Row

Banned
MLB TV contracts for each team:

8RZt2X4.png

http://www.draysbay.com/2015/12/10/9878418/rays-finances-limited-tv-contract

Thankfully, the Braves TV contract was recently reworked:

http://www.talkingchop.com/2014/5/8...eive-up-to-500-million-from-reworked-tv-deals

The Rays TV ratings are one of the highest in MLB they should get a huge TV deal once the current one expires.

Directv. Funny thing is, I'd actually pay good money just to have this channel, maybe even as much as a basic subscription to TWC would cost, but I don't want to have two boxes under my tv. I just want to watch Vin in the last season. It's infuriating.

I had DirecTV for a long time but switch to TW because of the Dodgers( Wifey big Dodger fan so we switch) Kinda miss NFL Sunday Ticket but Red Zone is great.

zulux21

So what are some changes you guys are hoping to see in the next CBA? I'm looking for the DH in the NL and making all draft picks trade-able.

lets just go crazy...
remove 2 teams so that there is 28 teams
then get rid of leagues and divisions, and have each team play each other team 6 times, 3 times and home, 3 times away.

27 opposing teams times 6 = 162 aka the same amount of games.

then merely the top 8 teams go to the play offs 1 vs 8 2 vs 7 3 vs 6 4 vs 5
winer of 1 vs 8 faces 4 vs 5 and winner of 2 vs 7 faces 3 vs 6
winner of those two face off to claim the championship.

alternatively keep the al and nl seperation and add 2 teams
have 4 games against opposite league and 6 games in the same league (though that would work out to 153 games I think) so if you really still want 162 games you can split each league into 4 divisions and make it 9 games against division rivals which I think works out with 162 games.

from there if you don't split into divisions top 4 teams on each side, if you do then merely top team in each division.

the goal of either of these would be to have everyone face each other :p but it will never happen lol.

BFIB

Hearing Mo and Epsteins comments about the NL as a whole looking at the DH in a more positive way, I think this is the addition.

Kyle Schwarber's career with the Cubs will be saved

He's going to be a passable LF or C defensively anyway. Everyone overreacts like he's terrible out there, when it really only came to light with a few bad plays in the NLCS.

TBH he should still be in the minors polishing that part of his game up if his bat wasn't so productive.

Now if we can get Vogelbach in at DH we might be having something.

vern

I'm not in this thread often but I believe I'm here enough to say this:

Fuck the DH.

National league baseball is so much more watchable. We don't need that DH garbage in both leagues. If this was still the steroid era then fine, make it all arcade baseball all the time. Have everyone roided up and jacking 50 bombs up and down the lineup. Great.

But it's not the steroid era. Give me doubles and line drives and bunts and dudes running around the bases and errant throws and the completely opposite but equal beauty of bartolo Colon and madbum batting or give me death. Actually, please don't kill me, but you get the point.

I don't have a strong opinion about DH but I do think it's a slippery slope

designated runners, fielders, etc..

this isn't the fuckin NFL

I don't have a strong opinion about DH but I do think it's a slippery slope

designated runners, fielders, etc..

this isn't the fuckin NFL

The DH has been around 40+ years, and in that time precisely one team has tried having a designated runner (and that experiment started and ended 40 years ago). If it's a slippery slope, it's such a gradual incline it's virtually indistinguishable from a straight line. No team is going to waste a roster spot on something so marginal as a designated pinch-runner, and if any teams want to carry an all-glove, no-hit fielder, the DH rule doesn't prohibit that -- it just says there has to be one, not that he has to hit for the pitcher.

Loco4Coco

DH in the NL will be great for those 1 dimensional players. Players like Nelson Cruz would of had more than just 15 teams look at him. I'm pretty sure if there was DH in the NL now the Mets would maybe make a stronger push for Cespedes.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It won't be NL-wide for a couple years. They'll gradually move it in - starting with the DH in all interleague games first
i hope they don't graddually put it in. If you are going to do it then do it. If they only put it in interleague games then NL teams in interleague games will be at a disadvantage. Their ballclubs are usually set up not to have a $15 million dollar bat waiting on the bench.

i hope they don't graddually put it in. If you are going to do it then do it. If they only put it in interleague games then NL teams in interleague games will be at a disadvantage. Their ballclubs are usually set up not to have a $15 million dollar bat waiting on the bench.

I sort of agree, I'm just going off of what I've seen reported. NL clubs are already at a disadvantage for half the time anyway.

I'm not sure how realistic it would be to expect 15 teams come up with a DH so suddenly, though. Imagine teams might want a year or two to feel things out

The DH has been around 40+ years, and in that time precisely one team has tried having a designated runner (and that experiment started and ended 40 years ago). If it's a slippery slope, it's such a gradual incline it's virtually indistinguishable from a straight line. No team is going to waste a roster spot on something so marginal as a designated pinch-runner, and if any teams want to carry an all-glove, no-hit fielder, the DH rule doesn't prohibit that -- it just says there has to be one, not that he has to hit for the pitcher.

I wasn't talking so much about roster spots but the argument that nobody likes to watch pitchers hitting

if that's not a thing anymore what's next.. Nobody likes watching slow people run or mediocre fielders.. Etc

You'll enjoy it once you see one of your pitchers throwing a gem and not have to be removed in the top of the 7th for a marginally good hitter.

So what, perfect games and no hitters only happen in the NL?

Fuck is this shit, haha. Again, this is a cut and dry issue. AL fans are in support, NL aren't. Keep it the way it is, I like the variety every once and a while.

So what, perfect games and no hitters only happen in the NL?

Fuck is this shit, haha. Again, this is a cut and dry issue. AL fans are in support, NL aren't. Keep it the way it is, I like the variety every once and a while.

leave as is, expand the league to 32 teams that way interleague is limited. Mexico CIty and Montreal added to the league or something along those lines.

The schedule needs to be balanced and everyone needs to play everyone the same amount of times. It's not fair within a division for one team to have to play 6 games without their DH while another team only plays 3.

Top Bottom