• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

rando14

Agreed, baseball definitely needs to return to Montreal. Mex City is also an interesting choice. Would Vegas or Portland be a good spot?

Agreed, baseball definitely needs to return to Montreal. Mex City is also an interesting choice. Would Vegas or Portland be a good spot?

I'd say that Vegas will never be in any sort of professional sport. Considering American sports leagues' leeriness of brick and mortar gambling, it'll be too much of a looming shadow. Portland would be a good inbetween gap from Seattle to Oakland-San Fran, and would be a good fit for the NL.

zroid

Banned
It's looking increasingly like NHL is going to Vegas in the next couple years, so I think it's safe to say other leagues will be watching closely

Seconding Silver Arrows' thoughts on Vegas. Vegas won't ever be picked. Portland would be stupendous though.

Even the two leagues that I think could be trend-setting enough to do it (MLS and NHL) won't do it for the reasons I laid out. And has been shown many times before, Vegas really just feels like a transplants town, sports wise.

Edit: of course, zroid comes in making my point moot. Still, I don't expect the NHL to do well in Vegas. Maybe from snowbirds in Alberta and Canucks fans looking for hockey and fun in the sun (Like they do for all the west coast teams) but definitely won't be enough.

Malo

Banned
I was hoping the Yankees would be in on Upton. Oh well.

I'm interested in seeing the dollar amount. Also, who the hell is going to sign Cespedes?

Players union has wanted universal DH for years... That's a lot of high paying jobs for veterans. The owners have wanted to keep the DH out for the same reasons. Now with these contracts, owners probably don't see the DH expanding to be too risky (they're paying the old guys forever anyways) so might as well expand it and use it as a negotiation lever.

It's coming, like it or not. Matter of time.

billeh

As a fan of a team with Kyle Schwarber, I might be persuaded on this 'designated hitter.'

He's been working on his fielding in the offseason, but oof, that lineup ..

zulux21

Players union has wanted universal DH for years... That's a lot of high paying jobs for veterans. The owners have wanted to keep the DH out for the same reasons. Now with these contracts, owners probably don't see the DH expanding to be too risky (they're paying the old guys forever anyways) so might as well expand it and use it as a negotiation lever.

It's coming, like it or not. Matter of time.

yup.
to much money left on the table for older players it costs a good hitter that can't field anymore money. Meanwhile a pitcher can't really argue he is going to make a lot more money by being able to bat .220 instead of .110.

as for the tiger's signing, i missed how much they have spent this offseason. They are going to be a threat again... that being said they are also likely going to be very very very very very bad in a few years.

zulux21

Fuck being a small market team lmao. Shit's more impossible than ever. Opt out after the second year haha?

I wanta see more incentive based contracts.

contracts that start at like 1 mil base but can go up to like 40 mil a season depending on what the player does.

"if you bat .450 with 100 home runs, 50 stolen bases and 300 rbis you will make 100 mil this season :p"

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Your dh money went to your rotation

43HJFyK.gif

rekameohs

Banned
I wanta see more incentive based contracts.

contracts that start at like 1 mil base but can go up to like 40 mil a season depending on what the player does.

"if you bat .450 with 100 home runs, 50 stolen bases and 300 rbis you will make 100 mil this season :p"

I do wonder what would happen if just like randomly next year, some dude just comes out of nowhere and gets exactly those stats on a one year deal - what the hell it would do with the free agent money market.

I think Upton is a really nice deal. Good money, good for both sides. Good deal.

I do wonder what would happen if just like randomly next year, some dude just comes out of nowhere and gets exactly those stats on a one year deal - what the hell it would do with the free agent money market.

Nothing. Guy would need to do it for 3-4 years in a row to be worth destroying the market.

Everyone gets fucking opt-out deals now. Was Sabathia's original Yankees contract the pioneer of the opt-out? I mean, A-Rod had one on his original deal, but that contract was on another planet at the time anyways. But they started exploding after Sabathia's.

crpav

Are the White Sox just going to sit back and do nothing else despite saying they are in a "win now" mode? I mean they did some decent moves but need more if they expect to compete don't they? Need, NEED one more ace and a big bat and outfielder to be the final pieces.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Are the White Sox just going to sit back and do nothing else despite saying they are in a "win now" mode? I mean they did some decent moves but need more if they expect to compete don't they? Need, NEED one more ace and a big bat and outfielder to be the final pieces.
they don't have much money left and the prices of pitching is sky high, especially for an Ace. A lot of their talent down at the farm won't be ready by 2017 or later. With the exception of Tim Anderson at short. I wouldn't mortgage the farm to try and compete in 16. The team is too far away imo.

RBH

The Tigers were not the only club to pursue free-agent outfielder Justin Upton.

The Braves talked to Upton’s camp about a reunion as they rebuild and prepare for the opening of their new ballpark in 2017, according to major-league sources.

No offer was made, but the conversations centered on a six-year contract that would have been for a significantly lower average annual value than Upton received in his six-year, $132.75 million deal with the Tigers, sources said.

The Braves’ idea was for Upton and Freddie Freeman to form the nucleus of their team through 2021.
Freeman signed an eight-year, $135 million contract extension in February 2014. The Braves traded Upton to the Padres that December before the final year of his contract, fearing that they could not afford him long-term.

Upton, 28, spent the 2013 and ’14 seasons with the Braves, who acquired him in a trade with his original team, the Diamondbacks. The Braves’ renewed talks with his camp apparently stemmed from their belief that he was drawing little interest on the open market and that they could get him at a lower price.

“We did speak with Justin’s representatives but were unable to find something that worked for both sides, and we wish him the best in Detroit,” Braves general manager John Coppolella said. “We remain both opportunistic and disciplined in the trade and free-agent markets.”

The Braves also have expressed in free-agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes but seem inclined to sign him only to a short-term deal, sources say.
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...aves-reunion-detroit-tigers-free-agent-011916

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yeah, so it's all worthless to me. Call me when I can just buy Braves games without a local blackout and don't need fucking cable.
at least this way you can borrow one of your family member's cable sub login info and use it to watch mlb.tv

Seems like let's say you're in NY. If you paid the extra 10 for Follow your Team, you can see the Away Feed of your teams game. You would have to sign in using your cable info though and be a subscriber to the teams channel that airs the games.

Seems like let's say you're in NY. If you paid the extra 10 for Follow your Team, you can see the Away Feed of your teams game. You would have to sign in using your cable info though and be a subscriber to the teams channel that airs the games.

I can't imagine the rationale for only allowing this during away games. "We'll let you watch the home games in market, but only if you sit your ass in front of your TV. If you're at work or something, tough! You should either be in front of your TV at home or at the game you losers."

BigAT

I think the idea is if you're in a different market, you won't get blacked out if "your team" is playing the local team. Like if you're a Mets fan that is in Philly, Mets/Phillies games will no longer be blacked out for you.

crpav

Yeah, so it's all worthless to me. Call me when I can just buy Braves games without a local blackout and don't need fucking cable.

Speaking of Braves games, I miss the old TBS or whatever that would always show them. It was like a ritual for me back in the day to spend a lazy Sunday lifting weights in my parents basement and watching/listening to a Braves game. Same for Cubs and White Sox games on WGN.

I think the idea is if you're in a different market, you won't get blacked out if "your team" is playing the local team. Like if you're a Mets fan that is in Philly, Mets/Phillies games will no longer be blacked out for you.

Is THAT the deal?

I guess this is a move in the right direction, but it's still just a huge pile of shit.

Top Bottom