• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malo

Banned
ahTZJZO.jpg
We poor.

newjeruse

Man, I've fallen down a pretty bad baseball card hole in the last few weeks. It scratches both gambling and OCD itches. Anyone still into cards?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Man, I've fallen down a pretty bad baseball card hole in the last few weeks. It scratches both gambling and OCD itches. Anyone still into cards?

I collected basketball cards as a kid. Yall got nothing on my signed Duane Causwell and Wayman Tisdale cards.

*cool kid things*

Beckx

@MarinersPR
The #Mariners have signed Korean 1B Dae-Ho Lee & C Steve Lerud to minor league deals with invite to Spring Training.

Huh.

Lee must *really* want to be the majors if he was willing to go this route.

Saduharu Oh had indicated they were willing to keep the door open for Lee to return a little longer, but I wonder how far that will go.

It's crazy to think the Braves have had only four GMs in the last 30 years.

1986-1990 - Bobby Cox
1991-2007 - John Schuerholz
2008-2014 - Frank Wren
2015-?? - John Coppolella

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's crazy to think the Braves have had only four GMs in the last 30 years.

1986-1990 - Bobby Cox
1991-2007 - John Schuerholz
2008-2014 - Frank Wren
2015-?? - John Coppolella
same number of managers as well.

1986-1987 - Chuck Tanner
1988-1990 - Russ Nixon
1990-2010 - Bobby Cox
2010-?? - Fredi Gonzalez

RBH

Source: Lazarito is now considering teams for this int'l signing period or the next & is expected to make a decision as early as 2/10 (1/2)
Source: There are nine teams with serious interest in teen. Lazarito is evaluating packages & how he fits in different organizations. (2/2)
https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB

Between Maitan and Lazarito, Braves could be making a big splash in the international pool once July 2nd comes around.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Rogers is much, MUCH worse. I remember one time I got my phone bill jacked up by a hundred dollars. This is from someone who went just over the limit for one month. And who barely uses cell and texts.
Well, they're all part of the same oligarchic cartel.

Lexxism

Rogers is much, MUCH worse. I remember one time I got my phone bill jacked up by a hundred dollars. This is from someone who went just over the limit for one month. And who barely uses cell and texts.
Definitely YMMV. Never had any problem with Rogers in our 10 yrs with them. Bell on the other hand....

Beckx

Former Cub and Hanshin Tiger Matt Murton signed a minor league deal with the Cubs. Had several big years for the Tigers (held the NPB single season hits record until last year when Shogo Akiyama broke it) but wasn't great last year and was on the outs with management and the media. Surprised he didn't sign somewhere else in Japan.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Deadspin - Documents: Mets Owners' Real Estate Fund Was $300 Million In The Hole This Past June

A performance report at the end of June 2015 concluded that a real estate private equity fund run by Fred Wilpon had turned $497 million—including $150 million of its own money—into cash and investments worth $173.25 million. In its way, this performance is at least as remarkable as the one that put the Mets in the World Series this past fall.

Real estate is supposed to be the bedrock of the Wilpon empire, the one layer of wealth so deep that it could weather the financial calamities above. In 2011, the New Yorker described real estate as the “heart” of the Wilpons’ operation, and sung an epic catalog of their New York properties.

Even in 2011—after the market had crashed; after $550 million of the Wilpons’ money was vaporized by Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme; after the brothers were sued for $300 million by bankruptcy trustee Irving Picard—Fred Wilpon was still being lauded as an exemplar in the industry.

The struggle of SAP V certainly takes some shine off that golden reputation. Before it launched SAP V in 2006, Sterling was opening a new fund every three or four years. It hasn’t launched another fund since.

It’s impossible to know exactly what kind of financial shape the Wilpons are in without getting a direct look into their books, although the $150 million Sterling American Property has in SAP V isn’t chump change. The faltering of SAP V is just another tile in the incomplete financial mosaic, fit snugly against the $550 million that burned up with Madoff, the $80 million they were eventually forced to pay Irving Picard, the payroll slashing, the $25 million loan from MLB, Picard’s claim that the Wilpons were flat broke in 2012, and the $950 million worth of loans against the team that have been recently refinanced to stretch into the next decade.

Last week, the Mets signed Yoenis Cespedes to a three-year, $75 million deal that will edge the team’s total payroll close to $140 million, the highest it’s been since 2011. This was an important move for a team that didn’t make any bids on the offseason’s biggest free agents. It’s a move that could signal that the days of suppressing payroll in order to pay off debts are over, and that the war chest needed to finance a perennially competitive team is finally open.

Or maybe the Mets just got lucky and scooped up Cespedes—who reportedly got a bigger offer from the Washington Nationals and could probably fetch a much higher price in a less-crowded outfield market next offseason—on the strength of the contract’s one-year opt-out. Again, unless the Wilpons want to crack open their accounts for all to see, there’s no telling what they have in store for the Mets. If the war chest does exist, though, it’s not likely to be filled with any money from SAP V.

Top Bottom