• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

jbug617

Banned
Wally has a little sister name Tessie

H3FvIi6.jpg

Being a club on Jay Bruce's no trade list is like a getting a gift you didn't know you wanted.

That much money for that little value? He's not a very good ballplayer.

Being a club on Jay Bruce's no trade list is like a getting a gift you didn't know you wanted.

That much money for that little value? He's not a very good ballplayer.

It's still offensive even when the shit players don't want to play for you.

In other news:

HOLY SHIT THE JAYS MADE A DEAL

Jays acquire Arnold Leon LHP from Oakland for Cash or a player to be named later.

Planning the parade.

Meier

I totally tuned out during the winter holidays from checking my computer for news much but I was so bummed when I heard the Kazmir news the other day. He's been a solid pitcher in the past few seasons but that contract value was astounding.. but now I've just checked True Blue LA and seen the news that we got Maeda which has me fucking stoked. It's been far too long since the Dodgers signed a Japanese player. Here's to another successful one!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Cleveland Browns just hired Paul DePodesta to be Chief Strategy Offer and "will be responsible for assessing and implementing best practices and strategies that will provide the organization with the comprehensive resources needed to make optimal decisions."

wat

The Cleveland Browns just hired Paul DePodesta to be Chief Strategy Offer and "will be responsible for assessing and implementing best practices and strategies that will provide the organization with the comprehensive resources needed to make optimal decisions."

wat

They're trying something different. Conventional strategy has failed them for 20 years. Running footballs first truly analytical FO is a smarty gamble IMO.

Plus DePo is probably one of the smartest people in sports. The guy is single handedly responsible for the Mets drafting and player development programs.

rando14

They're trying something different. Conventional strategy has failed them for 20 years. Running footballs first truly analytical FO is a smarty gamble IMO.

Plus DePo is probably one of the smartest people in sports. The guy is single handedly responsible for the Mets drafting and player development programs.

Worth shaking it up, but it seems like low odds. Analytics in football is much, MUCH less reliable than baseball.

interesting move. but it looks like the Browns are trying to build up SABErmetrics for Football? that's pretty smart then, exploit market inefficiencies then.
edit: I see the morons in talk radio are already spewing verbal diarreah.

Worth shaking it up, but it seems like low odds. Analytics in football is much, MUCH less reliable than baseball.

Well, they're less reliable because there isn't the same level of investment or trust. Like, the Browns previously hired an analytic firm to tell them which QB to draft. That firm said "TAKE BRIDGEWATER" and so they ignored that and took Billy instead.

This shows that Jimmy truckstop is at least learning.

rando14

Well, they're less reliable because there isn't the same level of investment or trust. Like, the Browns previously hired an analytic firm to tell them which QB to draft. That firm said "TAKE BRIDGEWATER" and so they ignored that and took Billy instead.

This shows that Jimmy truckstop is at least learning.

Baseball you can microanalyze a single player because ain't nobody else is helping him in the batter's box or on the basepaths, and it's not too hard to analyze defensive capabilities either.

Football, you got 10 other guys, and chemistry plays a humongous role.

Personally I don't think analytics will ever be as big in football as in baseball. However, if the Browns hit on this, it could literally change the game.

Baseball you can microanalyze a single player because ain't nobody else is helping him in the batter's box or on the basepaths, and it's not too hard to analyze defensive capabilities either.

Football, you got 10 other guys, and chemistry plays a humongous role.

Personally I don't think analytics will ever be as big in football as in baseball. However, if the Browns hit on this, it could literally change the game.

What this will do is basically get teams to be more willing to go against the grain and experiment. Take project players early because you have projected asset value.

I don't know I think this could revolutionize the sport. Like, your Seahawks are having a ridiculous level of success and they're the closest to an analytically run team in Football.

zroid

Banned
interesting move. but it looks like the Browns are trying to build up SABErmetrics for Football? that's pretty smart then, exploit market inefficiencies then.

Someone on local radio here actually tried to shit on Paul by saying the A's never won a World Series since Moneyball :lol

Someone on local radio here actually tried to shit on Paul by saying the A's never won a World Series since Moneyball :lol

The Boston sports radio guys are so weirdly anti-metrics, it's never made sense to me. Like I was listening today and the whole conversation was just "LOL NERDS, GET OUT OF SPORTS AND GO BACK TO THE BASEMENT".

Silkworm

Alex Anthopolous is going to the Dodgers front office.

Y u do dis Dodgers

What's wrong with adding Anthopolous to the Dodger front office? Is it because it's already crowded there? At least he appears to be competent at his job based off his work with the Blue Jays. Or are you sad to see him go? I'd blame Toronto for hiring Mark Shapiro as their president rather than the Dodgers for this outcome ;-)

What's wrong with adding Anthopolous to the Dodger front office? Is it because it's already crowded there? At least he appears to be competent at his job based off his work with the Blue Jays.

It was a joke, I'm glad for him. Better he goes to an team that actually cares then stay at a team where they are playing fifth fiddle.

Silkworm

It was a joke, I'm glad for him. Better he goes to an team that actually cares then stay at a team where they are playing fifth fiddle.

Oh! I should have know from your prior posts you're a Blue Jays fan (I have avatars turned off). Sorry about how things have gone recently with Toronto. I'm sure it will sort itself out and the Blue Jays will back in the postseason in no time (probably next season). :)

SAFeRmetrics for arguably the most dangerous professional sport not centered around combat is kinda ironic, isn't it?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

wat

KJiOj2L.gif

BFIB

Man, that outfield market must have dropped big time.

Good deal for KC, good for Gordon, and good for the franchise.

Beckx

Why wouldn't he? Given the lack of fucks given about a Japanese pitcher's arm.

This isn't really true at the professional level any more. It's not the 60s where they burned through starters by the time they were 26. The TJ rates for pro pitchers in Japan are lower than the MLB average (significantly, IIRC).

At the high school level, uh...well...yeah.

It's surprising to see this come up for Maeda though. He's been very durable over the last several years. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it. Maybe he's already agreed to a Mariners deal. :)

(Maeda and Kuma have the same agent, and remember the Kuma deal was in "not confirmed" status forever until the sudden change/signing.)

I love Alex Gordon and that is all. Even if he dips in the last year or two of the contract, it's still worth it to make him a Royal for life. The best since George Brett.

iuAj6wd.gif

Top Bottom