• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those years of rubbing poop in the NL fans face is coming back to haunt us.

I blame Ron Washington.

ron-washington1.jpg

RBH

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano took it in stride when fans at Kauffman Stadium booed him throughout the All-Star Game festivities this week. But he said Royals fans "crossed the line" when they subjected his family to similar treatment during the Home Run Derby on Monday.

Cano told reporters Tuesday night that fans yelled at his family members, including his mother, when they left their seats to go to the restroom during the Derby. He declined to be more specific but said he believed the fans went too far.

"This is a game," Cano said. "We're All-Stars. And if I get booed, I don't really care. But when they start with your family, that's over the line.

"Thank God they didn't do anything more (than yell). You don't want people to take it too far and do something to your family. It's just a game. You want to have fun with it and go home with some good memories."

Cano was a magnet for attention for two straight nights at Kauffman Stadium. On Monday, fans booed him mercilessly for leaving Kansas City DH Billy Butler off the American League's Home Run Derby team after he had pledged to include a Royal. Cano, the AL's captain and defending Derby champion, failed to hit a single homer in the competition.

The fans treated Cano roughly again during the National League's 8-0 victory Tuesday. Cano popped out and singled in two at-bats before leaving the game in the fifth inning.

Commissioner Bud Selig said Tuesday that MLB might consider a rule to include a hometown slugger in future Home Run Derbies to alleviate potential controversies. Last year in Arizona, fans booed NL Home Run Derby captain Prince Fielder of the Brewers for leaving Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton off his team.

Cano picked Fielder, now of the Tigers, Jose Bautista and Mark Trumbo for the AL derby squad at the expense of Butler. They finished 1-2-3 in the competition.

"It was a tough decision," Cano said. "It's easy to understand how fans want to see the kid from their hometown. But the fans need to understand, we're not doing it because we don't like other players. We just want to pick the people we think are going to put on a good show for the fans."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar12/st...-city-royals-fans-crossed-line-yelling-family

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"We just want to pick the people we think are going to put on a good show for the fans."

And yet he doesnt pick the local guy lol.

I guess Cano isn't going to sign with the Royals. Sucks for them!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just don't have the damn captains. Forcing them to pick a hometown player every time will be ridiculous. Selig is so backwards most of the time.

Well, doing that would be like admitting that he made some kind of mistake. No, no, Selig doesn't make those, nope.

Branduil

If Selig won't even fix an idea as dumb as deciding home field advantage in the World Series based on an exhibition game what makes you think he'll fix that.

bluemax

Banned
Well, doing that would be like admitting that he made some kind of mistake. No, no, Selig doesn't make those, nope.

MLB thinks that the Captains thing is the best idea they've had for the HR Derby in years. They feel it's reinvigorated the event.

I don't expect changes any time soon.

RBH

It is not surprising based on recent past that the Tampa Bay Rays are among baseball’s most cost-efficient teams.

But so far through the first half of the 2012 MLB season, the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Washington Nationals join the Rays as the most productively efficient teams in baseball. But you may be surprised that the Oakland A’s aren’t performing that badly either.

To measure cost-efficiency, I obtained 2012 MLB payroll data from USA Today’s salary database, calculated each team’s projected win total for 2012 based on their current win percentage multiplied by 162 games, and divided the former from the latter to obtain “payroll cost per projected win” for the 2012 season.

With the new playoff format which allows for 2 wild-cards rather than just one, the Oakland A’s are just 2.5 games out of the final wild-card…and at .500, are actually accounting for themselves quite nicely despite having the league’s second lowest payroll at $55.4 million. If they maintain their current pace and win 81 games, this will amount to a league-best $683,611 per win.

But it’s the Pirates and Nationals that have everyone talking. Both long-time also-rans are leading their respective divisions, and if they maintain their current pace, would realize $693,019 and $850,975 respectively in payroll expense per win.

Lastly on a positive note, other teams that should be commended to date for cost-effective play include the Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, and Baltimore Orioles. Each team’s cost-efficiency exceeds the league’s projected median for 2012 ($1.08 million), the Reds and Orioles would be in the playoffs as wild-cards if the season ended today, and the Indians are within a game.

On the flip side, the most disappointed fan base should be in Philadelphia. If their current win percentage is predictive of what’s to come, this would yield $2.5 million in payroll expenditures per win. Only the Boston Red Sox eclipse the $2 million per win mark as of now, but at least Boston is within striking distance (2.5 games) of the final wild-card…unlike Philly (10 games).

I let the Angels and Tigers off the schneid given that they are right in the thick of the wild-card hunt with real chances of winning their divisions if all goes well. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the Miami Marlins or Chicago Cubs…each of whom have been roughly 30% and 40% less efficient than the league median, respectively.

For a full list of payroll efficiency per projected win, see the table below:

Rank Team Payroll/Projected Win

1 Oakland Athletics $683,611
2 Pittsburgh Pirates $693,019
3 Tampa Bay Rays $757,424
4 Washington Nationals $850,975
5 Kansas City Royals $854,605
6 San Diego Padres $872,165
7 Cincinnati Reds $917,594
8 Arizona Diamondbacks $928,236
9 Toronto Blue Jays $931,965
10 Cleveland Indians $934,629
11 Baltimore Orioles $950,186
12 Atlanta Braves $950,571
13 Houston Astros $974,971
14 New York Mets $1,077,120
15 Chicago White Sox $1,081,860
16 Los Angeles Dodgers $1,087,604
17 Seattle Mariners $1,222,313
18 Texas Rangers $1,229,578
19 Colorado Rockies $1,242,038
20 St. Louis Cardinals $1,272,653
21 Milwaukee Brewers $1,279,835
22 San Francisco Giants $1,357,110
23 Minnesota Twins $1,369,744
24 Chicago Cubs $1,403,160
25 Miami Marlins $1,512,192
26 Detroit Tigers $1,595,052
27 Los Angeles Angels $1,708,982
28 New York Yankees $1,996,715
29 Boston Red Sox $2,138,106
30 Philadelphia Phillies $2,535,061
http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...st-cost-efficient-mlb-team-at-all-star-break/

"We just want to pick the people we think are going to put on a good show for the fans."

And yet he doesnt pick the local guy lol.

I guess Cano isn't going to sign with the Royals. Sucks for them!

Yeah because all the fans that watched were in the stadium, it wasn't like it was on TV or anything. Great logic. Maybe next year the All-Star game can be played by all local guys? Doesn't even have to be MLB players, they could let the local highschool team play!

Askani

Yeah because all the fans that watched were in the stadium, it wasn't like it was on TV or anything. Great logic. Maybe next year the All-Star game can be played by all local guys? Doesn't even have to be MLB players, they could let the local highschool team play!

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. There's room for both.

"Putting on the best show for the fans" kind of misses the point. The people of KC were told on June 5th, by Cano, when picking the HRD squad "ya gotta pick one of the local guys" and that he would if he could.

Then, a couple of weeks later, Billy Butler got picked for the ASG. So of course the city got really excited, thinking he'd be in the HRD. Because Cano himself said he would be.

Then a couple of weeks after THAT, Cano announced his list. No Billy Butler. No explanation as to why. Which to us, seems like the typical attitude big market teams always have toward us, especially the Yankees: that ever-present knowledge that they don't give a flying shit about us, our team or our city, and it sure doesn't matter what we think.

Of COURSE everyone is going to be pissed. KC took it as a huge insult to be blown off like that. KC is a crazy loyal sports town. Of course Cano is on our shit list.

There doesn't need to be a "hometown hitter" rule added to the HRD for our benefit... we were pissed because Cano is a liar. If he'd never said anything, it never would've happened.

And anyone who thinks this would be a deterrent for a free agent to come here isn't thinking it through very well. KC acted out of loyalty. That crowd also gave a wildly enthusiastic cheer to Melky and Beltran because they were former Royals.

"Putting on the best show for the fans" kind of misses the point. The people of KC were told on June 5th, by Cano, when picking the HRD squad "ya gotta pick one of the local guys" and that he would if he could.

Then, a couple of weeks later, Billy Butler got picked for the ASG. So of course the city got really excited, thinking he'd be in the HRD. Because Cano himself said he would be.

Then a couple of weeks after THAT, Cano announced his list. No Billy Butler. No explanation as to why. Which to us, seems like the typical attitude big market teams always have toward us, especially the Yankees: that ever-present knowledge that they don't give a flying shit about us, our team or our city, and it sure doesn't matter what we think.

Of COURSE everyone is going to be pissed. KC took it as a huge insult to be blown off like that. KC is a crazy loyal sports town. Of course Cano is on our shit list.

There doesn't need to be a "hometown hitter" rule added to the HRD for our benefit... we were pissed because Cano is a liar. If he'd never said anything, it never would've happened.

And anyone who thinks this would be a deterrent for a free agent to come here isn't thinking it through very well. KC acted out of loyalty. That crowd also gave a wildly enthusiastic cheer to Melky and Beltran because they were former Royals.

EDIT:
star_trek_clap_clap_gif.gif

It bothers me how the public media is misinterpreting the story. Joe Buck and McCarver are idiots so I'll ignore them, but people seem to ignore the fact he promised to pick a local guy.

and they think the booing is bad in KC? Imagine what happens next year if whoever the captain is promises to take a New York Met (Wright?) and then doesn't w/o any explanation? My God the crowd will kill whoever is the NL Leader.

eznark

Banned
It bothers me how the public media is misinterpreting the story. Joe Buck and McCarver are idiots so I'll ignore them, but people seem to ignore the fact he promised to pick a local guy.

and they think the booing is bad in KC? Imagine what happens next year if whoever the captain is promises to take a New York Met (Wright?) and then doesn't w/o any explanation? My God the crowd will kill whoever is the NL Leader.

Of course the media is going to side with New York over flyover country.

What I don't get is why these same cocksuckers weren't up in arms when Arizona booed the shit out of Fielder...Christ he never even promised to pick a D'Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom