• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 first round picks remain unsigned. The deadline is Friday at 5pm.

#4 Kevin Gausman - Orioles
#8 Mark Appel - Pirates
#9 Andrew Heaney - Marlins
#16 Lucas Giolito - Nationals
#25 Richie Shaffer - Rays
#30 Ty Hensley - Yankees

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Stupid Selig, we're going to miss out on Appel

@bluemax. so sorry im not from shitty northwest usa!

To be fair, if the old rules were in place, he probably would have been off the board way before #8, so you wouldn't have had him anyways.

Basically your org just punted it's first round pick. But hey, you get two picks in next year's (weaker) draft!

jakncoke

Banned
To be fair, if the old rules were in place, he probably would have been off the board way before #8, so you wouldn't have had him anyways.

Basically your org just punted it's first round pick. But hey, you get two picks in next year's (weaker) draft!

Do we? i thought they did away with that

verbum

It's a puff piece but I like the story:

The switch-hitter broke in with the New York Yankees at 20 in 2005 and played four full seasons in the Bronx. He was a solid but unspectacular contributor, never producing an on-base-plus-slugging percentage above .752. After their 2009 title, the Yankees traded him to the Atlanta Braves in a deal involving right-hander Javier Vazquez.

Cabrera's career hit bottom the next year with the Braves, for whom he batted .255 with 42 RBI. The team released him, and, at 26, Cabrera realized he needed to recommit himself.

Rather than return to his native Dominican Republic, he spent the winter in Miami, working on conditioning with a trainer and focusing on improving his skills.
"I didn't make big changes," Cabrera said, "but I worked out harder and started eating better."

The results were evident in 2011, when he set career highs with a .305 average, 18 homers, 87 RBI, 20 steals and an .809 OPS with the Kansas City Royals.

Seeking to bolster their pitching and open an outfield spot for prospect Lorenzo Cain, the Royals traded Cabrera in November to the Giants for lefty Jonathan Sanchez.

He arrived at pitcher-friendly AT&T Park amid questions of whether his breakout season was a true indication of his ability. He has responded by raising his game, batting .353 with a major league-leading 119 hits, eight homers, 44 RBI and a .910 OPS. His 320 hits since the start of the 2011 season are tops in baseball.

"He was in New York as a baby, playing under all that pressure, and now he's a very smart player," NL manager Tony La Russa said. "He's hitting .360 in a place where you can't hit. Right now, he's as tough an out as there is in both leagues."

As much as Maria Teresa Astacio relishes her son's success now, she acknowledges she didn't want him to pursue baseball as a career. Instead, she wanted him to go to college and become an engineer.

Cabrera grew up with infrequent contact with his father, Jesus Cabrera, and the family had little money. Astacio worked as a nurse and raised Melky as well as his two older sisters with the help of her mother, Teofila Dolores Guante.

"As a kid, I pushed him to focus on studying," Astacio said, "but he would say, 'I'm going to give you a better life.' And it was through baseball."
She joined Cabrera in the minors when he began Class AA ball in 2005 and has been with him at every stop since.
"I always carry my cooking pot and my suitcase," she said of the frequent address changes.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-07-11/all-star-mvp-melky-cabrera-mamas-boy/56158030/1

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wouldn't rule out Appel signing anyway. He has virtually no leverage at all.

He and his agent Scott Boras are total dumbasses. They refused to sign under slot for 6 million at the first pick and somehow want that same amount at the 8th pick when its not feasible at all given the new draft rules. Basically Boras totally fucked his client over for his own self interests.

I wouldn't rule out Appel signing anyway. He has virtually no leverage at all.

He and his agent Scott Boras are total dumbasses. They refused to sign under slot for 6 million at the first pick and somehow want that same amount at the 8th pick when its not feasible at all given the new draft rules. Basically Boras totally fucked his client over for his own self interests.

It seems like Boras does that a lot, I wonder why so many people are willing to sign with him. Hopefully all the unsigned players will sign on time. What is the point of not signing and going back into the draft next year, wont teams have the same pool to use to sign players?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It seems like Boras does that a lot, I wonder why so many people are willing to sign with him. Hopefully all the unsigned players will sign on time. What is the point of not signing and going back into the draft next year, wont teams have the same pool to use to sign players?

In the past it made sense as teams were willing to go overslot on talented guys who fall for signability reasons. The new draft rules punish teams for doing that same exact thing now.

In the past it made sense as teams were willing to go overslot on talented guys who fall for signability reasons. The new draft rules punish teams for doing that same exact thing now.

I get that, I just remember people saying that with the new rules all the picks would sign on time since there is nothing to be gained by going back into the draft, but it looks like we could have as many as 6 guys not sign.

Sharp

I get that, I just remember people saying that with the new rules all the picks would sign on time since there is nothing to be gained by going back into the draft, but it looks like we could have as many as 6 guys not sign.
Some of them are probably just waiting until the last minute to squeeze out as much money as they possibly can. Hopefully Giolito falls into that category and doesn't go to college, since if he's actually healthy he probably does have leverage.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is it wrong that I'm hoping Appel goes back to college and just gets rocked? I'm so tired of these privileged douchebags that think they're above the system.

Is it wrong that I'm hoping Appel goes back to college and just gets rocked? I'm so tired of these privileged douchebags that think they're above the system.

I would think that everyone would want that. I hope he has an awful season and gets picked in like the 3rd next year.

jakncoke

Banned
well if he doesnt sign with the pirates i hope of the following.

1) his next season record is 2-10 era 6.93
2) they make the college world series and he's pitching the game that would give them the chip and he blows out his arm

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

He'll sign with Pittsburgh, underperform, then get traded elsewhere and end up elite.

tc farks

6 first round picks remain unsigned. The deadline is Friday at 5pm.

#4 Kevin Gausman - Orioles
#8 Mark Appel - Pirates
#9 Andrew Heaney - Marlins
#16 Lucas Giolito - Nationals
#25 Richie Shaffer - Rays
#30 Ty Hensley - Yankees

I figured Appel wouldn't sign with his demands. The O's really need a Gausman in their system, don't know what that money situation looks like. Heaney is definitely not signing, which means 2 or 3 of the top 10 picks may not sign. That's a fail.

Giolito going down to the wire was obvious from the start.

zulux21

they sign with him because teams like the yankees pay what he is asking for the players, aka he gets a number of players huge contracts they don't deserve. I don't know about other teams but in general the White Sox refuse to deal with him. Aside from players they get in trades that have him as an agent, or players that pick him while they haven't hit free agents for the first time the white sox almost never have any of his clients on their team lol. (I think joe crede was the last one they signed as a Free Agent that was represented by him and that was back in 2008)

RBH

original.jpg

Season two of THE FRANCHISE will bring together the sexy, cosmopolitan vibe of the city of Miami with the intense and competitive world of America's pastime as it follows one of Major League Baseball's most talked-about teams - the Miami Marlins.

The Marlins have a new look in 2012, with the hiring of Guillen, the acquisition of All-Stars Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Heath Bell and Carlos Zambrano, and the return of established young stars including Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson and Giancarlo Stanton.

The weekly series THE FRANCHISE: A SEASON WITH THE MIAMI MARLINS will premiere with a new one-hour episode on Wednesday, July 11 at 10 PM ET/PT. Thirty-minute episodes will follow each subsequent Wednesday night at 10 PM ET/PT on SHOWTIME for the following seven weeks.

Heath Bell meets with Ozzie Guillen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6NGOIKO3AM
Carlos Zambrano spotlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_M3c3uMJaA
Ozzie Guillen spotlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjrPJE5UYQ
Jeffrey Loria spotlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1Qfdv8e_g

Last night's debut episode is on my DVR, looking forward to watching it now.

Brinbe

Glad to see that EE's gonna be sticking around. Well-deserved extension, and I'm hopeful he'll continue to produce. And if things don't work out, it's only 3 years.

RBH

The number of games between interleague rivals such as the Yankees and Mets, Cubs and White Sox, and Dodgers and Angels will be reduced under Major League Baseball's new schedule format for 2013.

Players' union head Michael Weiner said Tuesday that in most instances the rivalry games will be cut from six to either four or three. The new format was caused by next year's move of the Houston Astros to the American League, creating two 15-team circuits and the need for interleague play throughout the season.

"It wasn't fair to have six games against an opponent that other teams in your division didn't," Weiner said Tuesday during a question-and-answer session with the Baseball Writers' Association of America. "The Mets, for example, would say `Why do we have to play the Yankees six times every single year when some of our division opponents are playing teams that aren't traditionally as strong? We understand we've got to play the Yankees every year. That's OK. Why should we play six?"'

Teams in a division will play three games each against teams in another division: for example, the NL East vs. the AL Central. The interleague rivalries will be either one three-game series or a home-and-home of two games each, Weiner said.

There will be an exception in years the rivals play the opposite division - for instance, the Cubs and White Sox would play six times in years the NL Central plays the AL Central.

Baseball's new labor contract says teams will play up to 20 interleague games a year. Weiner says the total is likely to be close to the maximum.

"It may be that you can come up with a more workable schedule by moving up to the higher end of the interleague play range as opposed to the lower end," he said. "So it's not a question that 19 or 20 is much better than 18 in terms of interleague play, it's a question of how to put the pieces of the puzzle together."

A draft schedule has been given to the union, which is studying it before MLB finalizes it ahead of an anticipated September release.

Because of the two 15-team leagues, two clubs will have to open and close with interleague games.

"That's not a plus of the system, but the other plusses of the system, going to 15 and 15, were so overwhelming that we live with that," Weiner said.

Interleague games will be kept to a minimum in the final four-to-six weeks of the regular season.

"A team could have two interleague series in September, but they wouldn't have two away interleague series, so that they wouldn't either have to add a DH or lose their DH for more than three games," he said.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/07/10/interleague-schedule-2013.ap/index.html

Glad to see that EE's gonna be sticking around. Well-deserved extension, and I'm hopeful he'll continue to produce. And if things don't work out, it's only 3 years.

I'm wondering if they plan to keep him off the field and Lind at first. They could be planning on a Lind deal soon with EE at first. He was fine at first but I think it's better to keep him as DH.

cashman

Banned
Jairo Beras situation is finally resolved. His contract is upheld and he will be suspended for a year for lying about his age.

they look FABULOUS!
and to KC fans, Cano said He MAY pick a hometown guy not that he was going to. you had your fun but don;t after people's families and try to act all high an mighty.

Just so we're on the same page: correct, yelling at Cano's mom isn't cool, and you'll have a really hard time finding a defense force anywhere for it.

BUT, as for Cano himself, we don't have make up fake paraphrasing. Here's the video:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8013630

He says:

“You’ve gotta do the right thing, I mean, you gotta pick one of the Royals players. I mean, that’s their hometown team. The fans want to see their player there.”

No, that's not quite a blood oath on national television, but I don't think anyone would see that and expect him NOT to do it. It was definitely conclusive enough to piss off a city full of fans. And honestly, he should have been smarter than that after the Upton thing last year.

He got WRECKED at the HRD as a result, and it was funny. Just a simple series of events. And KC is a classy city, we just don't like Cano and the Yankees. Chipper got treated with reverence, Prince Fielder got cheered for winning the HRD (and he's even a divisional rival), the crowd was enthusiastic and positive toward everybody. We filled the Futures Game to max capacity when it's usually half empty. The intensity in the crowd at the ASG sounded like it was a post season game (and it was an 8-0 blowout). Sport writers, coaches, players, etc are all commenting this week about how polite and great everyone was. Even Tony La Russa.

KC fans are cool to pretty much everyone. The Yankees are the lone exception; they can suck it.

Fenix

I'm wondering if they plan to keep him off the field and Lind at first. They could be planning on a Lind deal soon with EE at first. He was fine at first but I think it's better to keep him as DH.
A Lind deal? Lind was available to every other team for absolutely free a few weeks ago. He has negative value. I my best case situation, he's the DH for the rest of the year and a bench bat next year. Yeah, a little expensive for a LH bat off the bench, but it's just one year, then buy out his options. I'm done with him.

Of note, in Klaw's Top 50 is getting my dick wet: d'Arnaud (5), Sanchez (25) and Marisnick (32). Everyone else should be available on the trading block to get pitching (and really, Marisnick is only untouchable to me, cause I have a massive boner for him.)

cashman

Banned
Profar has the ultimate mark of an elite prospect. He keeps improving even as he is challenged with better competition. In this case, the Rangers jumped the 19-year-old two levels to Double-A, where he has continued to hit for average, get on base, make contact, show surprising power for his size, hit from both sides of the plate and play plus defense. There's no real hole in his game, and he looks as if he'll be more than ready for the majors before he turns 21 -- another mark of a potential superstar -- if the Rangers can create a spot for him.

umph

RBH

If the Mariners plan to make an aggressive move at the July 31 non-waiver deadline, they’ve got an interesting way of showing it.

While one Mariners official says the team is “wide open” on potential deals, rival clubs report that the M’s have made a long list of players untouchable in trades.

The list includes right-hander Felix Hernandez, second baseman Dustin Ackley and third baseman Kyle Seager, plus the Mariners’ four top prospects, according to Baseball America - right-hander Taijuan Walker, left-handers Danny Hultzen and James Paxton and shortstop Nick Franklin.

The Mariners’ reluctance to include such players in most trades is understandable, rival executives say. But to make a bigger move – say, for Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton – the team would need to part with upper-level talent.

Some executives also question whether Ackley and Seager should be off-limits when neither is established as a productive major leaguer, much less a star.

The Mariners entered the All-Star break with a 36-51 record, the worst in the American League.
http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/mariners_aggressive_or_not/11204683?new_post=true

Arizona GM Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that if the Diamondbacks make a trade this summer, it will probably be a deal involving MLB players, not prospects. Justin Upton is now generating as much discussion as any player in baseball. Here’s the latest on Arizona’s 24-year-old right-fielder:

• Rival executives say Diamondbacks officials are willing to consider offers for Upton because they are not convinced that he is a winning player, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports writes. Rosenthal predicts the Diamondbacks will trade Upton for a package of players including a young third baseman or shortstop and Major League help.
  • Some GMs are convinced the Diamondbacks will move Upton, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports. However, there probably won't be a high volume of serious suitors for Upton, Olney writes. The Pirates, Blue Jays, Rangers, Tigers, Braves, Cubs, Mariners, Indians, Mets and Reds are possible fits for Upton, Olney writes.
  • A competing executive suggested the Blue Jays could engage a third team if they wanted Upton badly and didn’t match perfectly with the Diamondbacks, Piecoro reports.
  • Another executive wondered why Towers will even listen on Upton, according to Piecoro. “Whenever a player like that is available, I think, ‘People who work in this game are smart. Why is he willing to trade a guy like that on a fairly reasonable contract?’” the person said.
  • Towers has had very few conversations with the Pirates, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com writes. Bowden considers five possible trade partners for Arizona should they decide to deal Upton.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/justin-upton-rumors-thursday.html

Trade partner No. 1: Kansas City Royals

To get Upton, the Royals would have to forfeit top prospect Wil Myers. Myers is the minor leagues' best right-handed hitting position player and projects as an impact middle-of-the-order bat. With no service time, this would save the D-backs approximately $30 million and give them more control years. Also, they have lots of young pitching in their system, so if they do deal Upton, it would make sense to get an impact bat.

Why would the Royals do this? Well, it's possible they don't want to wait for another prospect to develop and need another impact right-handed bat in their lineup. Also, Upton is signed through 2015 and will average roughly $13 million in salary the next three years, which is a figure the Royals can afford. Put Upton in that lineup and it could be the best in the AL the next three seasons.

Trade partner No. 2: Atlanta Braves

An equitable exchange for Upton would have to involve outfielder Jason Heyward. This would give the Braves better righty-lefty balance in their lineup, and again, the D-backs would save money and add control years. It also comes down to which outfielder will reach his ceiling first, as both have MVP potential. Heyward has started to heat up, so it's hard to see Atlanta dealing its homegrown, hometown kid, but it's fun to think about an old-school challenge trade like this, the kind you don't really see anymore.

Trade partner No. 3: Texas Rangers

Upton’s value could probably command a return of Jurickson Profar and Mike Olt, the Rangers’ top position player prospects. However, the only way I can see the Rangers even thinking of this deal is if they can't re-sign Josh Hamilton and need a middle-of-the-order bat to replace him. Profar is as untouchable as any Rangers farmhand there is and is the game’s best shortstop prospect, but he is currently blocked at the big league level by Elvis Andrus (just as Olt is blocked by Adrian Beltre). If the D-backs do somehow manage this deal, it could set up their left side of the infield for the next eight years. Only then would it make sense.

Trade partner No. 4: Detroit Tigers

Like the Rangers, Upton probably requires the Tigers' top two prospects in third baseman Nick Castellanos and right-hander Jacob Turner. Castellanos, who stood out at this year’s Futures Game, has a chance to be one of the AL's best third basemen someday, but he is blocked in Detroit right now. He can really hit and his power should come in time. Turner has a high ceiling as well, and to trot him out with young hurlers Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skaggs and Wade Miley would set up the D-backs’ rotation for years. For the Tigers, it would give them a third impact bat behind Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder and improve their defense in right field. And when Victor Martinez comes back in 2013, it would give the Tigers -- who are clearly in "win-now" mode -- arguably the best lineup in the AL.

Trade partner No. 5: Pittsburgh Pirates

Given the current parity within both leagues and the addition of another wild-card berth, there are more buyers than sellers, and even the Pirates are getting in on the act. The opportunity to acquire an MVP-caliber power hitter at such a young age is a value a team like the Pirates cannot afford to overlook. To do that, they’d have to give up former No. 1 pick Jameson Taillon and future leadoff man Starling Marte. The Pirates could afford giving up Taillon if they hold on to Gerrit Cole, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft. It would be worth it to sandwich Upton between Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez to form a very dangerous middle of the lineup. Marte would offer the D-backs the leadoff man they’ve lacked for so long, and like Turner would do, Taillon would bolster a talented, young rotation in Arizona.

Upton might be having a down year, but his trade value is based somewhere between his performance last year and his potential -- which is as a Hall of Famer. Therefore, the asking price should be sky-high. The fits are limited, leading me to believe that Upton still will be wearing a Diamondbacks uniform long after the July 31 trade deadline has come and gone. However, the mere fact that the D-backs seem to be listening on Upton suggests something could happen.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=4554

A Lind deal? Lind was available to every other team for absolutely free a few weeks ago. He has negative value. I my best case situation, he's the DH for the rest of the year and a bench bat next year. Yeah, a little expensive for a LH bat off the bench, but it's just one year, then buy out his options. I'm done with him.

Of note, in Klaw's Top 50 is getting my dick wet: d'Arnaud (5), Sanchez (25) and Marisnick (32). Everyone else should be available on the trading block to get pitching (and really, Marisnick is only untouchable to me, cause I have a massive boner for him.)

Saying "a Lind deal" does make it sound like it's centered around Lind. If they move him, I'd imagine he's tied to someone a little more promising from AAA.

I really don't see the Royals going after Upton. The offensive lineup isn't their problem. The starting pitching needs fixed first. And there'd definitely be no reason to trade Wil Myers for him, Wil is going to be a great hitter.

Fenix

Saying "a Lind deal" does make it sound like it's centered around Lind. If they move him, I'd imagine he's tied to someone a little more promising from AAA.
The point stands though, Lind would actively bring down the value of the hypothetical deal he's packaged in. Think back to last year's Stewart + Frasor for Edwin Jackson + Teahen, the Jays took on Teahen's salary in order to facilitate the deal, the White Sox couldn't get rid of him otherwise. So to get rid of Lind the Jays would have to improve the prospects being sent the other way. Not worth it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Heyward for Upton?

LOLOLOL
yeah that is a weird proposal. Heyward will be cheaper through his arb years most likely and is probably more willing to sign a extension with atlanta. Anyway i dont see the braves getting upton, at least at the AS break. He doesnt help the team considering how good the braves outfield is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom