• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Jays/Astros trade. 10 PLAYERS

CORDERO is gone. Ben Francisco gone.

PARTY TIME!

I didn't get all the details off the radio but we picked up a bunch of pitchers. Not sure of the quality of all the pitchers. Travis Snider called up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Astros have made a 10-player trade with the Toronto Blue Jays this evening, General Manager Jeff Luhnow has announced.

Houston will ultimately receive seven players from Toronto in the deal, including two Major League players, RHP Francisco Cordero and OF Ben Francisco, four minor league players, RHP Joe Musgrove, RHP Asher Wojciechowski, LHP David Rollins and C Carlos Perez, and a player to be named later. Two of the players the Astros received are former first-round draft picks. In exchange for the seven players, the Astros have sent RHP Brandon Lyon, LHP J.A. Happ and RHP David Carpenter to the Blue Jays.

This is the least interesting 10 player trade in the history of baseball.

The Astros have made a 10-player trade with the Toronto Blue Jays this evening, General Manager Jeff Luhnow has announced.

Houston will ultimately receive seven players from Toronto in the deal, including two Major League players, RHP Francisco Cordero and OF Ben Francisco, four minor league players, RHP Joe Musgrove, RHP Asher Wojciechowski, LHP David Rollins and C Carlos Perez, and a player to be named later. Two of the players the Astros received are former first-round draft picks. In exchange for the seven players, the Astros have sent RHP Brandon Lyon, LHP J.A. Happ and RHP David Carpenter to the Blue Jays.

Cordero is gone. This is the best trade in the history of baseball.

I'm happy with Lyon and Happ looking at their stats. Happ just seems like a bit of a desperation move but I'll take it. David Carpenter doesn't seem that great. I haven't followed these guys that much so I don't know for sure.

Brinbe

Hmmm... great to be rid of Coco, but Lyon's pretty crummy, and I hope Happ's worth it. We're pretty much banking on him recovering his Philly form.

Blue Jays get:
-- RHP David Carpenter
-- LHP J.A. Happ
-- RHP Brandon Lyon

Astros get:
-- RHP Francisco Cordero
-- OF Ben Francisco
-- RHP Joe Musgrove (minors)
-- C Carlos Perez (minors)
-- LHP David Rollins (minors)
-- RHP Asher Wojciechowski (minors)
-- Player To Be Named Later

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
In fairness to Colorado that move saves them $1.1 million so its actually a really good move.

They should probably just tell Jonathan Sanchez to stay in KC though.

Disappointed they had to give up Wojciechowski, since he was supposed to be pretty good, but the fact they managed to get a living, breathing, possibly semi-decent player for Cordero is great news.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

I do not...
jonmorosi
BREAKING: Source tells http://FOXSports.com #Rockies close to sending Jeremy Guthrie to #Royals for Jonathan Sanchez.
...understand.
In fairness to Colorado that move saves them $1.1 million so its actually a really good move.

They should probably just tell Jonathan Sanchez to stay in KC though.
Oh.

Technically it's already August 31st -- July 31st is just the deadline for trading players without passing them through waivers first. I remember reading once, very long ago, that smarter GMs would put most of their rosters through waivers earlier in the season just to make August trades possible. Not sure if that actually happens, though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'd say the astros got the better deal. The blue jays will probably get something like 2 wins a year from those three players. Which will probably be over 3 yrs of control or something. I dont know anything about those minor league players but i would have to think they would provide more value over 6 six years of control than that, assuming a couple make the majors.

If the blue jays got one decent player i would say quality > quantity but this is more like more quantity > less quantity.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
3.5 back of the Nationals and we have a 4 game series against them starting today. This should be interesting.

Opiate

I think they harldy care about sports. Because for awhile I would hear rumors on the radio about the football team moving to L.A. too.

This would actually be an interesting question: what major city cares the least about sports?

It would be difficult to measure. Perhaps per capita attendance among the 5 major sports, also noting that not having a team needs to be accounted for in some manner. Anyone have any first guesses?

McNei1y

Excellent. Ian Desmond is back in the lineup!

Lombardozzi LF
Harper CF
Zimmerman 3B
LaRoche 1B
Morse RF
Desmond SS
Espinosa 2B
Flores C
Strasburg P

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This would actually be an interesting question: what major city cares the least about sports?

It would be difficult to measure. Perhaps per capita attendance among the 5 major sports, also noting that not having a team needs to be accounted for in some manner. Anyone have any first guesses?

The correct answer is Miami. Florida in general is awful at supporting the 4 major league sports - Although the Magic have been top 10 in attendance for a few years now. That'll change starting this year though.

I think this is the correct answer by a long shot. Not a lot of lifelong locals there, compared to other places.

What city do you think would be second? That's the question.

I'm thinking of east-US cities with multiple fanchises in major sport. Which of these cities do you think would be the least passionate about sports?

1. Boston
2. NYC
3. Philly
4. DC
5. Charlotte
6. Atlanta
7. Pittsburgh
8. Cleveland
9. Cincinnati
10. Chicago
11. New Orleans
12. Tampa
13. Nashville

I'd say Tampa then Nashville, but that's more because most of their franchises are just a few decades old.

harSon

Banned
And I call him a lifelong every year. Well, only the last two since he is vapor when the Pirates are bad!

I've come and gone since I joined in 2007, and we've been shit until a short lived glimmer of hope in the 2011 season lol...

And most Pirates fans tend to disappear (On forums, and IRL) after the All-Star break when it becomes clear we're going to sale off the team and continue our tradition of losing. It's a bit hard to stay 100% dedicated and enthusiastic on a forum when your team has maintained a record under .500 since you were 4.

I typically stop watching baseball religiously once it becomes clear that we're going to suck again, and focus my attention on our farm system in a blind faith for the future of the franchise...

Tampa has a great team and attendance has remained at terrible levels. Miami has a new stadium its only 75% filled, with 70% chillin with the strippers in the nightclub.

verbum

I thought Yunel Escobar was doing well in Montreal. Is it the $5 million salary?

Heyman keeps hearing that the Blue Jays want to trade Yunel Escobar (Twitter link). The Braves, Escobar’s former team, have little depth at shortstop following injuries to Andrelton Simmons and Jack Wilson, but they’re not interested in Escobar.
From MLB Trade Rumors on 7/18.

Parch

I'd be surprised if Escobar got traded now. His name was thrown around to attract some pitching, but they've made their deal.
Here's hoping Happ reaches previous potential hopes. Getting out of that park in Houston can only help his pitching numbers. But then again pitching in the AL east isn't good for numbers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom