• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ondrusek would have been a huge help to your bullpen now and for years to come. Guy is pre-arb! It would have been a steal for an underperforming old p.o.s.

I really like Ondrusek but they are not giving us him. If the Phils can get a right handed reliever for this year then trade him, but do not trade him for a prospect.

eznark

Banned
I really like Ondrusek but they are not giving us him. If the Phils can get a right handed reliever for this year then trade him, but do not trade him for a prospect.

Gotcha. I thought you meant you didn't want that trade, which would have been an absolute steal.

andycapps

Think they are just saying that they would be willing to part with one of those three dependent on who the deal is for.

I wish Dempster would just accept the Braves deal for Delgado, pitch for us for a couple of months and then he'll be free to sign with LA while we go out and get Greinke as a free agent without having to give up Teheran.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Hopefully we get the deal and they go with Delgado.

God no, only 1 of them (and Teheran is hopefully still actually untouchable).

Hopefully he is.. But if it helps us get a proven pitcher that can help us in the postseason this year, then I'd be okay with it as long as we can get that big deal from Greinke at the end of the year.

RBH

Milwaukee Brewers ace Zack Greinke will definitely be traded before Tuesday's non-waiver trade deadline, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told USA TODAY Sports.

The Brewers haven't had contract negotiations with Greinke since spring training, Melvin said Thursday in a telephone interview, and was informed that Greinke wants to test the free-agent market.

"I don't think Zack is about the money personally,'' Melvin said. "You get a young guy that's [28], and in my conversations with him, you get a chance to be a free agent one time. You've got to look at that opportunity.

"He's been in a small market here. A small market in Kansas City. He's always said he enjoyed it, but he wants to take a look at everything out there.''

Greinke, 28, is considered the prize pitcher on the trade market, according to four general managers and executives surveyed by USA TODAY Sports. Greinke, 9-3, with a 3.44 ERA, is on pace for his third season of winning at least 16 games with 200 or more strikeouts. It's a feat that San Francisco Giants ace Matt Cain, who recently signed a six-year, $127 million extension, never accomplished.

"If you're in a pennant race,'' Melvin said, "this guy is a difference maker. He can go deep into games. He's never been on the DL except for a basketball injury [breaking a rib in February 2011]. He's very athletic. And he's great in the clubhouse.''

Greinke, who battled a social anxiety disorder in Kansas City that sidelined him most of the 2006 season, has shown no signs of any complications or relapses, Melvin said. He doesn't see a reason why he couldn't pitch in a large market like New York, Boston, Chicago or Los Angeles.

"I'm very fond of him,'' Melvin said. "He's one of my favorite players I ever had. Really, he's been like a son to me. I enjoyed talking baseball with him. He's very passionate. He follows the game. It's been a great experience having him for a year and a half.

"There are so many good things about him, it's going to be difficult when we trade him.''
http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../07/brewers-zack-greinke-trade/1#.UBGJakT87bV

eznark

Banned
^ Hope not. I'd hope we can get better than an expensive, average-ceiling SS for Greinke+

Nobody is bailing you guys out of that terrible Hart deal unless the Brewers eat a lot of that contract.

lol what? In total Corey Hart has made $16m in 9 seasons. If we keep him (and I hope we do, not like we are going to be hurting for money next year) he will have gotten $26m for 10 seasons.

On what planet is that a terrible deal? You must really be killing yourself over the Bruce deal then, eh?

HeySeuss

^ Hope not. I'd hope we can get better than an expensive, average-ceiling SS for Greinke+

lol what? In total Corey Hart has made $16m in 9 seasons. If we keep him (and I hope we do, not like we are going to be hurting for money next year) he will have gotten $26m for 10 seasons.

On what planet is that a terrible deal?

Huh. Must have confused him with somebody else. I thought he got a huge contract last year that was way more than he was worth. My bad.

eznark

Banned
Huh. Must have confused him with somebody else. I thought he got a huge contract last year that was way more than he was worth. My bad.

Probably confusing him with Jay Bruce!

He signed a meager 3 year $26m deal last year. He more than played up to it in 2011 but being forced to play first has obviously fucked up his relative value. Next year will be the first year he is earning double digits.

If anything, Hart is underrated.

I really hope the Rangers get desperate and overpay for Greinke. So much good talent that could come back.

McNei1y

I wonder if the Nats will trade for anything. We don't really need anything on the offensive front aside from a catcher maybe. A starter would be a nice acquisition, especially if Strasburg gets shut down. I wouldn't mind staying put but it would suck to see all of the other teams getting stronger.

Also, bring it on Brewers! Remember when Josh Willingham hit two grand slams in Miller Park!

eznark

Banned
If anything, Hart is underrated.

I really hope the Rangers get desperate and overpay for Greinke. So much good talent that could come back.

Not at first base. As a first basemen he is middling. Also, pretty much any of their top 5-8 prospects would be an overpay for renting Greinke.

RBH

LEOMINSTER, Mass. -- A Massachusetts mayor has fired a police officer accused of directing a racial slur at Boston Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford during a baseball game.

Leominster Mayor Dean Mazzarella says Officer John Perrault's comments and actions show he's unfit to serve on the police force.

Mazzarella's decision Thursday comes a day after Police Chief Robert Healey recommended that Mazzarella fire Perrault. Healey says the 38-year-old officer has used racial slurs at least two other times.

Perrault has been on paid leave since he called Crawford a "Monday" before a July 5 minor league game in Manchester, N.H.

The word is considered a racial slur when associated with the phrase, "I hate Mondays."

His attorney says Perrault wasn't using the word in a racial way and that the city is overreacting.
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8202374/cop-fired-slurring-carl-crawford-boston-red-sox

eznark

Banned
Why not? You could probably call up Profar today and he'd be fine.

19 year old with a half season in AA on a team selling out to win now. What could go wrong?!

They have plenty of other pieces that I don't think they'd need to do that. I'd much sooner trade Olt and I'd imagine Melvin would take it.

Macattk15

19 year old with a half season in AA on a team selling out to win now. What could go wrong?!

They have plenty of other pieces that I don't think they'd need to do that. I'd much sooner trade Olt and I'd imagine Melvin would take it.

Shh. I'm a Mariner fan. Anything that can derail the chances of a young prospects success on a rival team I am for.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I feel the braves are going to do something stupid. They already avoided one disaster with dempster, but are rolling the dice again.

RBH

The Angels are spreading word that they'd rather not keep Vernon Wells around as a fifth outfielder when he comes off the disabled list, so they're looking for somebody, anybody to take him off their hands. "I bet he gets moved somewhere," one exec predicted. "One of those deals where they eat the money, you pay him a half-million dollars and hope you get lucky." The Angels, for now, are saying they don't want to eat all of Wells' money ($21 million a year through 2014). But good luck on that front.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8201996/latest-deadline-dealings-all-eyes-brewers-zack-greinke

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The one benefit of the Twins sucking ass is that I got awesome tickets for cheap to a game next week. I'll take it.

zulux21

I feel the braves are going to do something stupid. They already avoided one disaster with dempster, but are rolling the dice again.

I have the same feeling with the white sox. I have a feeling that if they trade for Zack Greinke that Jose Quintana will have to be involved (I really can't think of any other young players that would have enough trade value) and I really don't like the idea of trading away a 23 year old pitcher who has pitched to a 2.58 era (all of his runs are earned that he has given up) over 76.2 innings this year who is looking like a decent number 3/4 starter who is under team control for a while for a 2-3 month rental that they will get nothing back on.

eznark

Banned
I have the same feeling with the white sox. I have a feeling that if they trade for Zack Greinke that Jose Quintana will have to be involved (I really can't think of any other young players that would have enough trade value) and I really don't like the idea of trading away a 23 year old pitcher who has pitched to a 2.58 era (all of his runs are earned that he has given up) over 76.2 innings this year who is looking like a decent number 3/4 starter who is under team control for a while for a 2-3 month rental that they will get nothing back on.

Too bad Saladino completely shit the bed this year. If the White Sox were able to get him you should be thrilled. Their only real prospect is their closer Reed and who gives a shit about closer prospects?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad Saladino completely shit the bed this year. If the White Sox were able to get him you should be thrilled. Their only real prospect is their closer Reed and who gives a shit about closer prospects?
Bill Smith.

Greinke in a White Sox uniform would be really gross.

zulux21

I would be thrilled if we could keep Jose Quintana and people just wanted reed and we could get Greinke. It's not like the white sox didn't already get a replacement closer in Brett Myers. My big hope is that Mr. Perfect game phillip Humber actually has some trade value and they would want him for Greinke as he is under team control for a bit and completely useless in the rotation at this point lol

in different news
Third baseman Kevin Youkilis left the White Sox's 8-2 win over the Twins on Wednesday in the fourth inning after mildly spraining his left ankle rounding first on a third-inning RBI single.

Youkilis said he plans on returning to the lineup for Friday's series opener in Texas against the Rangers. The White Sox have an off-day Thursday.

"It's just a mild sprain. I've played with a lot worse all year," Youkilis said. "Friday I'll be good to go."
awesome to hear, granted our starting third baseman is in rehab in the minors, but youk has been such an upgrade I really don't want to see our starting thirdbasemen back until sept (as a bench player)

eznark

Banned
I would be thrilled if we could keep Jose Quintana and people just wanted reed and we could get Greinke. It's not like the white sox didn't already get a replacement closer in Brett Myers. My big hope is that Mr. Perfect game phillip Humber actually has some trade value and they would want him for Greinke as he is under team control for a bit and completely useless in the rotation at this point lol

in different news

awesome to hear, granted our starting third baseman is in rehab in the minors, but youk has been such an upgrade I really don't want to see our starting thirdbasemen back until sept (as a bench player)

No team is going to trade a young pitcher already successfully in the rotation for two months of Greinke. That's ludicrous.

zulux21

No team is going to trade a young pitcher already successfully in the rotation for two months of Greinke. That's ludicrous.

I know they shouldn't, but my fears steam from a trade the sox made two years ago. when they traded Daniel Hudson (and David Holmberg) for Edwin Jackson. Granted Jackson had an extra year on his contract at $8,750,000 and Hudson wasn't quite as established as Jose Quintana, but I would also say that Greinke is vastly superior to Edwin Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom